Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 16:42   #1246
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Here's a new video from Motorbeam where they have done a 0-100 kph run with all the variants of the Maruti Baleno. Using VBOX, the 0-100 kph numbers are as follows:
1. Petrol Manual - 12.36s
2. Petrol CVT - 12.79s
3. Diesel Manual - 12.93s

Great to see all variants clocking 100 kph under 13s making it a pretty quick hatchback.

spsam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 16:50   #1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Plastic quality - again at par with the segment. You cannot expect soft touch plastics seen in 12L S-Cross in Baleno, right?
No way Baleno's interior plastic quality is at par with the segment. Wasn't Baleno supposed to be competitor to Elite i20? I was at the 'Premium' Nexa showroom last weekend, when examining the car, the plastics felt very hollow, a slight push on the plastic of driver seat door hand-rest, it goes in and comes out. When i showed this to the salesperson, he said the same thing - that I cannot expect the quality of a 'Premium' car. But isn't Nexa supposed to be selling 'Premium' cars?
Old 4th November 2015, 17:06   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
weighing less is simply bad news for safety. No two ways of looking at it. Baleno has no sci-fi materials such as titanium or carbon fibre. It is just thinner gauge steel which has been slightly curved at places to increase strength. Just like the rooftop panel in some economy models has ribs for increasing strength and by all accounts it may be a lighter panel than used for sides and front.

To give the benefit of doubt to Maruti, they may have designed and certified the YRA baleno while there was not such a big brouhaha over NCAP tests and safety. To the credit of Suzuki designers, the baleno is wide and long enough to incorporate some more safety structural members than say the Swift ZDI which doesn't have any place left in the hood to accomodate the frontal crash member.
Oh! No.
Please, lets discuss the safety aspect of the Indian cars in the safety thread .

As noted by Mods before.
WRXXX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 18:26   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Oh! No.
Please, lets discuss the safety aspect of the Indian cars in the safety thread .

As noted by Mods before.
& heavens shall not fall shall they, if a note is made here. If such comments are robbing the shine off a new car launch, then should not the manufacturers feel similarly. I still feel Maruti will add safety features come 2016 and also improve on quality of interiors along with time on their best selling model.

Right now they are in profiteering mode, on the back of a new launch that has high chance of getting popular.
Old 4th November 2015, 18:39   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
It seems the Baleno gets different lights based on the variant.

Attachment 1435271

The difference can be seen in the Alpha and Delta models here (not sure if Zeta also has the same lights as the Alpha).

The brochure does not mention about it. All it says is that all models get Rear Combination Lamps with LED.

If it is only available in the Alpha model, then this is one more feature that the lower models will miss but isn't highlighted by Maruti.
I haven't noticed this, even while checking the car last week at NEXA, as i was in hurry too at that time but after reading your post i became aware of this.
The difference isn't restricted to tail-lamps elements alone, they differ in their shape too, for instance central element of top-end variant is winged toward the outer side while on the base variants it is rounded towards the far end.

But for curiosity sake, for what the base element in top-end variant is meant for ?
Are they Coloured LED in white strip !
Well, I don't think so.

Btw, Have you booked Baleno ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol
In other words, when talking about build quality, more kilos = more peace of mind = more safe!
Regarding the rear seat - I believe, Baleno's rear seat is at par with most hatchbacks. Probably only inferior to roomy hatchbacks such as Jazz and Bolt.
Bolt isn't spacious at rear.
Jazz is better, but i20 is comparable to Baleno though.
Old 4th November 2015, 18:43   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
& heavens shall not fall shall they, if a note is made here. If such comments are robbing the shine off a new car launch, then should not the manufacturers feel similarly. I still feel Maruti will add safety features come 2016 and also improve on quality of interiors along with time on their best selling model.

Right now they are in profiteering mode, on the back of a new launch that has high chance of getting popular.
Oh! Sorry I was not trying to prevent any discussions and remarks made by you and previous only "EIGHT" pages of discussions on this very same thread on safety of cars made by Maruti and safety aspect of Baleno
(OT: Thing is some threads don't even have eight pages )

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note: No more off-topic posts please. When crash test results are available, we'll discuss them. Until then, lets focus on the car & the information we have today.

Thanks!
I was genuinely referring to the above, and your wish to continue the safety discussion here, but I hope you have sincerely read all the discussions that has already happened and you still think it is worth discussing.

Last edited by WRXXX : 4th November 2015 at 19:01.
WRXXX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 18:56   #1252
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Yes, but that only shows the S-Cross - it doesn't show the Baleno.
Just checked, Baleno has been removed from that page. Wonder why they would do that. Probably none of the accessories have made it to the showroom is what I can think of and they don't want any inquiries for the same as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Turbocharged petrol with a 6-speed autobox. Very, very nice.

Lesson to Ford - they've had their 1.0 EcoBoost paired with their 6-speed PowerShift transmission, but have not offered it in India in any car - neither the EcoSport or Fiesta which would have been good candidates. A missed opportunity.

So, after VW sets the trend with their Polo TSI, the next one is... Maruti. My my my. Kudos to Maruti for this move.
I don't think India will receive the BoosterJet anytime soon.
But whenever it comes hope Maruti promotes it as a true hot hatch and atleast gives it some good rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
I haven't noticed this, even while checking the car last week at NEXA, as i was in hurry too at that time but after reading your post i became aware of this.
The difference isn't restricted to tail-lamps elements alone, they differ in their shape too, for instance central element of top-end variant is winged toward the outer side while on the base variants it is rounded towards the far end.

But for curiosity sake, for what the base element in top-end variant is meant for ?
Are they Coloured LED in white strip !
Well, I don't think so.

Btw, Have you booked Baleno ?
I think these lights get turned on while reversing but not sure. Even I noticed them after checking out the pics online. Will inquire when I go to NEXA showroom next time.

And Yes, I have booked a Baleno Alpha Petrol in Pearl Arctic White
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 19:30   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Edit - Euro Swift 2010 got 5* safety rating from EuroNCAP. Just goes to show the terrible cost cutting measures employed by our market leader. shameful !

Link below
http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/suzuki/swift/11026
Swift sold in Europe is made in Hungary and they even got awards for the best build. Time and again, its the lack of local safety standards that is the real cause and this is not just market leader it is almost everyone. Omen And your market leader is already responding much before others do IMHO, to stay as a leader. In fact my wild guess is Maruti wants to get a newer Swift into the market is the reason for pricing Baleno so close to Swift today and eliminate the demand for it first.

Let us see how things shape up once there is a Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Programme (BNVSAP)Just like ARAI ratings decide "Kitna deti hein" factor the safety ratings will make the car manufacturers go after "Kitna safe hein" factor if they do care about the car sales.

Last edited by WRXXX : 4th November 2015 at 19:32.
Old 4th November 2015, 20:19   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Saw the video. it says as compared to current equivalent models. Is swift equivalent to Baleno??
Old 4th November 2015, 21:00   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsam View Post
Here's a new video from Motorbeam where they have done a 0-100 kph run with all the variants of the Maruti Baleno. Using VBOX, the 0-100 kph numbers are as follows:
Good timings given its a NA 1.2 engine. But this competes directly with 6L engine equipped Bentley's and ford's of 1970s in the 0-100 timings.
That should tell how far they have gone to extract from smaller engines as the time moves. This is also nearly 3.5 seconds slower than Abarth and 3 seconds slower than Polo GT TSI! (And nearly 9seconds behind Tesla P90D model X )

But Baleno buyers are paying ~3L less than Tjetti's and GTTsi's and 1.65Crores less than a Tesla, so need to wait for the BoosterJet to shakeup the TJet and GT cousins!

OT:
I noticed that revs dropping from 6k to 4k between the gear changes phew! That must have affected the timings with the post decimal point for sure
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 22:29   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
It seems the Baleno gets different lights based on the variant.

Attachment 1435271

The difference can be seen in the Alpha and Delta models here (not sure if Zeta also has the same lights as the Alpha).
Maruti is playing very dumb here. There is no point in doing such minor irritants for buyers.

Delta and Zeta have same tail lights. Attached is a side shot of Zeta which looks same as Delta so only Alpha gets dual white slats tail lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-balenozeta.jpg  

dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 22:35   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsam View Post
1. Petrol Manual - 12.36s
2. Petrol CVT - 12.79s
3. Diesel Manual - 12.93s

Great to see all variants clocking 100 kph under 13s making it a pretty quick hatchback.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ZLc3vucd4Qw
How can there is be so much of a difference between Swift diesel and Baleno Diesel with the the same website reporting numbers. Motorbean reported Swift diesel at 14.8 and baleno diesel at 12.93. It seems mismatching. Only change to the 1.3 diesel in 2014 was low friction oil to the diesel motor and improved ARAI FE by 3kmpl almost which in all counts would ideally dampen the acceleration than increase.

Petrol seems more realistic when compared to the Swift petrol.

Source for Swift numbers : http://www.motorbeam.com/2013/02/car...pecifications/

Mods, could you pls merge above and this post. They were back to back though for two different items.

Last edited by dipen : 4th November 2015 at 22:37.
Old 4th November 2015, 22:45   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
How can there is be so much of a difference between Swift diesel and Baleno Diesel with the the same website reporting numbers. Motorbean reported Swift diesel at 14.8 and baleno diesel at 12.93. It seems mismatching. Only change to the 1.3 diesel in 2014 was low friction oil to the diesel motor and improved ARAI FE by 3kmpl almost which in all counts would ideally dampen the acceleration than increase.
Won't the weight, tuning and gear ratios(if they have changed) of the cars matter? Baleno weighs nearly 100kgs less than Swift, and I am not saying thats the only reason though.
Old 4th November 2015, 22:49   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Won't the weight, tuning and gear ratios(if they have changed) of the cars matter? Baleno weighs nearly 100kgs less than Swift, and I am not saying thats the only reason though.
Agreed weight can play a role, but then the same difference would need to be applicable for the petrol Baleno (vs Swift) as well assuming Maruti have provided same kind of tuning instructions to both petrol and diesel engineers.
Old 4th November 2015, 23:53   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if it is covered earlier, but full marks to Maruti for providing full wheel well cladding on all wheels unlike the latest trend of partial or cladding on all models (at least Delta onwards for sure)

The Delta is the most VFM variant considering all other creature comforts can be done aftermarket like - Alloys, fog lights, full transparent sunfilm on all windows (budget permitting as it would be the more expensive windshield ones), touchscreen ICE, chrome touches that too one of individual's their own choices with pick only what you like option.

Only thing one would lack is projector lights, main console graphics dances, push button start among major ones.

Last edited by dipen : 4th November 2015 at 23:54.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks