Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 14:36   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post
I am not able to understand the Fuss about MSL not giving 90PS instead of 75PS.

IMO 75PS is best at this level of car. Being auto enthusiasts I understand that we would want more power from this car, but engineers at Maruti have to look at the bigger picture. 75PS is a more practical choice that they are making.

As majority of Indians want VFM proposition along with plush features and not Power. Major chunk of Balenos would be sold in metros and big cities for daily office commuting. There is already so much congestion on roads, what would common people do with so much power.

While I agree that on weekend or holidays we drive on highways and long stretches, but that is seldom.

I am totally in favor of a 75PS engine, solely because of the VFM, Car size and practicality.

I may be wrong but this is my personal opinion.
The fuss is not exactly about 75ps or 90ps engine. The real issue is Maruti has tagged this car as a 'Premium' products. So, people correctly expected good engine options.

When Hyundai and Honda projects there i20 and Jazz as premium they provide a 90bhp and 100bhp engines to back it up. Even Ford has given Figo 100bhp without labeling it as a premium product.

So, why will a commoner like me will buy Baleno over all these cars and even in comparison to Swift which carries the same engine options. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's simple.
If I need a brilliant performance engine which also gives good mileage with very good features I will buy a Figo.

If I need lots of space, utility, good mileage engine and comfort I will buy a Jazz.

If I need a lovely looking car with lots of gizmos and an extremely refined engine I will buy a i20.

But, I won't buy a Baleno. Defies car buying logic.
harry10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 14:45   #362
BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I have a simple question how will baleno in its current CVT trim sell more then Jazz CVT V variant, if priced equally. Nexa or whatever maruti wants to name themselves can not match the brand power of Honda(though not the same as say 5 years back). Plus both of them will probably cost the same, for me it is a battle lost for the CVT variant even before the fight begins.
If priced equally, I would say Baleno Delta CVT has extra equipment than the Jazz CVT V variant.
Baleno will additionally have the following:
2 airbags, Auto Climatic Control, Rear wipers, electrically retractable ORVM with turn indicators, Parking Sensors, Steering mounted Controls, 60:40 split seat and keyless entry.

But, let us see the pricing
Old 7th October 2015, 14:49   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
If they need to compete with Figo, Polo, i20 etc, why not launch the car with current specifications in the usual Maruti outlet? At least they will get more sales! Now, by launching a usual hatchback in Nexa, the branding strategy just goes for a toss.
You banged the nail! After all this, Maruti is still trying to push its PREMIUM thingy into our heads when people are still considering this Baleno as Swift on steroids, atleast to me it looks like that. Even S-cross does'nt deserve a premium tag.

Let me reveal something that might be of some importance, this came from my friend who works in a company which finances to M*ruti dealers, he said that recently launched (S-x) had around 25K bookings in 3 states before launch (i won't reveal names) after the launch around 16K bookings got cancelled and the dealer was like what to do next? This itself tells the failure of M*ruti Mkt. management.
Old 7th October 2015, 14:54   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Undisguised Baleno ( for training ) on Pune roads - A Polo look from side( 2nd pic) and rear profile!

Baleno looks best in Fire Red color. They seem to have struck off black as seen in their recent launches.

Attachment 1423835

Attachment 1423834

Attachment 1423836

http://www.motoroids.com/news/new-ma...ch-this-month/
Cant believe Maruti will act this stupid with a so called 'premium' car.
When I spoofed the car last month, it had way wider tires than what it is right now.

When will they stop this cost cutting and make the car a safe buy and not a topple van.
Old 7th October 2015, 15:05   #365
BHPian

The last time Maruti chose a older car name from their rolodex, the Zen and Zen Estilo, we all know how it fared. The estilo was anything but the Zen. This time around, they are calling this car a Baleno, I am waiting to see how it works.

I am equally confused as some others on the positioning of the Nexa Cars. The 13 lac on road Ciaz is still being sold out of Maruti showrooms but the new Baleno which should obviously be priced below the Ciaz, (if not below the Dzire!), is going to be sold in the 'premium' Nexa. Cant see the logic here.

But I am actually happy Maruti finally woke up on the safety part of their cars and made ABS & airbags standard! This sure is a step in the right direction.
Old 7th October 2015, 15:29   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I am equally confused as some others on the positioning of the Nexa Cars. The 13 lac on road Ciaz is still being sold out of Maruti showrooms but the new Baleno which should obviously be priced below the Ciaz, (if not below the Dzire!), is going to be sold in the 'premium' Nexa. Cant see the logic here.
"Premium", I guess should not be linked to the absolute cost of the vehicle. Its linked with the cost to segment. 8 lakhs for a hatch is premium compared to a 13 lakhs for a C segment (Not sure about the value proposition, though).
Old 7th October 2015, 15:43   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelemail View Post
"Premium", I guess should not be linked to the absolute cost of the vehicle. Its linked with the cost to segment. 8 lakhs for a hatch is premium compared to a 13 lakhs for a C segment (Not sure about the value proposition, though).
I doubt that is the case. The perception that a hatch is 'lower' than a sedan has significantly faded away. Case in point, the Elite i20 is costlier than the Xcent.

Last edited by veyron_head : 7th October 2015 at 15:56.
Old 7th October 2015, 15:52   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If priced equally, I would say Baleno Delta CVT has extra equipment than the Jazz CVT V variant.
Baleno will additionally have the following:
2 airbags, Auto Climatic Control, Rear wipers, electrically retractable ORVM with turn indicators, Parking Sensors, Steering mounted Controls, 60:40 split seat and keyless entry.

But, let us see the pricing
Not sure which jazz were you looking at mate

From your list the Jazz CVT V variant has, the 2 airbags, auto AC along with touch, no rear wipers, electrically folding IVRM with turn indicators, Rear parking camera with sensors ofcourse, audio mounted Controls, no split seat and no keyless entry.

What it has in addition is, the major one..

Alloys
Leather wrapped steering wheel
5' integrated audio with screen
Paddle shift
DRIVER SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTER(come on maruti what were you smoking)
New design and Not an air blown swift
Usually Honda has a much upmarket interior plus a better brand name.

It is around 8 lacs ex show room bangalore, and until baleno cuts it by a lac it is a tough terrain.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 16:08   #369
BHPian

I appreciate that base version starts with ABS and Airbag.
Kudos to Maruti Suzuki.

Not a great looking hatchback. It looks decent. Engine wise it is not great but for me that is fine.
Old 7th October 2015, 16:17   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
:
New design and Not an air blown swift
Are you serious? Jazz is contemporary but not new. Baleno is contemporary as well as new, though not as good looking as i20 Elite.
Old 7th October 2015, 16:22   #371
BHPian

Quote:

Not sure which jazz were you looking at mate
Don't know what is happening to me!! I compared Jazz CVT S Variant with the Baleno Delta.
Apologies for the confusion.
You were right about the extras offered by the Jazz.

Both Baleno & Jazz being almost equally spacious (Jazz seems roomier due to the well laid out cabin, with its height, but Baleno is a little bit lengthier making up for it), it is the pricing that will play a role.
Even then, customers are bound to pick up Jazz or i20 over Baleno, because of the availability problems, failure name tag, and uninspiring looks.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 16:40   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Are you serious? Jazz is contemporary but not new. Baleno is contemporary as well as new, though not as good looking as i20 Elite.
When maruti is joking with us I think we can also have a couple of laughs at there expense

But honestly I showed the car to few guys in office and everyone cane up with same name, a facelifted swift.
Old 7th October 2015, 16:54   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Even then, customers are bound to pick up Jazz or i20 over Baleno, because of the availability problems, failure name tag, and uninspiring looks.
If you say failure name tag then Jazz is the one that comes first w.r.t to our market.
I don't know what you meant by availability problem. Baleno in my opinion is not a failure for Maruti.

Some cars may not look good in the pics. Still to me the new Jazz looks like a mini Innova.

Last edited by amvj : 7th October 2015 at 16:55.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 21:42   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

The Nexa dealerships from Maruti have already started accepting bookings for the car at Rs 11,000.

The Maruti Suzuki Baleno will be on display at these dealerships from October 13 th.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/auto/mar...0-1148479.html
Old 7th October 2015, 22:58   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But honestly I showed the car to few guys in office and everyone cane up with same name, a facelifted swift.
The opinions will change once they se it in flesh. It is much larger and proportionate than it looks in pictures.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks