Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 22:43   #1066
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
There are two possibilities of your above statement: 1. If Xcent oozed quality in comparison to Baleno then the Baleno's quality is comparable to Omni.
2. You were expecting a Merc but it was nowhere near it.
To give you some more context, let me tell you of an interesting anecdote. A child played mischief by placing a bottle in between the frame and the door of the Baleno and tried closing it twice or thrice. The next we know is that the co-passenger door isn't shutting properly. That should give an idea? I am not sure of how the Baleno fairs against the Omni or the Merc but, what i do know is that my 10 year old Esteem seems more durable even today(say a bit less than the Xcent). And that indeed is something!

I did head out expecting a premium vehicle in mind. With all the jargon thrown in already by Maruti, was I wrong in expecting atleast a decent build quality? I'm sorry but, as already mentioned by a lot of peeps here, I still think the i20 and the Jazz(to some extent) are a bit overpriced for a reason(the Jazz is an exception as it is more or less an i20 equivalent and should not be priced so high!)

As much as I would want to believe that the Baleno indeed is safe, after what I experienced and contrary to what people think, I in fact think otherwise. We've decided to go drive the Baleno and get a good feel of how it is inside out one last time when the TDs are made available. If, it still doesn't cut it on the D-day, we will wait it out till the competition responds either in the form of discounts or feature additions.

And yes, the lesser the Baleno is compared with the Germans, the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermeow View Post
And that is why I think MS sucks big time. They had especially created the NEXA showrooms to create an impression or better it is all an illusion. I have been to the showroom on three different occasions and have come out that the staff are under informed and under trained on many counts, to say the least. They are not good talkers either, infact, one feels that a regular MS showroom salesperson has been asked to wear suit-boot and then go for the kill. Does it work in this day and age?? Just by carrying I-pads doesn't not slot them in any higher category, heck, even restaurant waiters carry I-pads to take orders.....
Oh oh. I'll be frank but, I've had a rather stupendous experience with the NEXA fellas and one that I'm guessing is synonymous with the high end manufacturers. The RM assigned to me has been very very proactive and transparent. We wanted delivery on a certain date and he was pretty upfront about the fact that it might not be possible. Another dealership confirmed that they can deliver and we decided to go ahead with them. However, since the other showroom is a bit away from where I reside at, decided to show the car to my dad at the showroom where this RM is. Inspite of knowing that I wont be booking with them, he still attended to us with great spirit answering all our queries for the entire 30mins we were there. And this was with the gazillion people who had thronged the dealership to check out the Baleno. If it means anything, if at all I do book the Baleno, it will only be at the dealership this chap works at!

All in all, it comes down to what kind of a talent the dealership owners have employed. My 2cents!

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 28th October 2015 at 23:13.
MetalBuff is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 23:20   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Guys
Maruti Suzuki cars were never known for their interiors or plastic quality.
Still they are no.1 in India.
So, why all this Kolaveri regarding Baleno ?
kpzen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 23:27   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Guys
True story! But, when the quality seems to go down a level lower, it hurts, haha. If a current Maruti product owner feels the difference, must mean something

All that said and done, I cannot NOT commend Maruti for having launched a global product in India first but also, equipping it with safety equipment as standard. A step in the right direction and one that will force other manufacturers to shut up, take notice and follow suit!

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 23:38   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Exactly, all car brands have their unique characteristics.
Just a few minutes of browsing of TBHP or whole internet would make one realise that....

Japanese cars were always lightweight and nothing has changed all these years. Honda City's boot lid can give a cola can a run for its money in lightweight competition apart from Ciaz's. Japanese always preferred automobiles that can take you from Point A to Point B and with maximum possible fuel efficiency and unmatched reliability.

European cars are heavily (or strongly) built and never meant to score high on mileage points. But good driving experience is preferred. German cars are over-engineered and to that extent that they even planted a software to control emission output readings as per different conditions, remarkable to say the least, I for one can't think that much while designing an automobile.
Italian makes cars with passion and don't care a hoot about what others think.

American cars are awesome machines only if maintained well else would be a headache.

Hyundais are VFM and come with interiors that are hard to match by others. But driving pleasure is not up to the mark.

Disclaimer : These are not my personal views.

This thread is going round in circles indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Guys

Is this way of judging strength of cars by inserting water bottle between doors can be called ethical and that too by kids, I really am at loss of words. Nexa guys are really being liberal here, I challenge anyone to try that in Honda and VW showrooms and share the experience.

Last edited by carwatcher : 28th October 2015 at 23:54.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 00:02   #1070
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I visited the NEXA Andheri West showroom today. Did not experience the so-called “Premium” experience that Maruti Suzuki were talking about. It wasn’t different from how the normal showrooms operate.

There were no test drive vehicles available with the showroom but the Zeta and Alpha models were displayed in Ray blue shade. I also had a look at the Elite i20 right after the Baleno, so as to compare a few things.

Here is my first impression about the Baleno:
  • The design is good, the car looks big and has a nice stance. If they had changed the shape of the headlamp, the car would have a distinct image.
  • The UV cut glass looks nice. They have a dark tint to them. No need for sun films. But these come only on the side glasses.
  • The projector lamps and DRLs do add character to the car.
  • The Zeta version also gets the chrome spoiler but instead of the camera there is a dummy plastic piece.
  • Alloys could have been better.
  • The car feels light, I saw quite a few people banging onto the panels and it did make a very tin-like material noise. When compared to the Elite i20, the Korean car felt solid. I hope that this doesn’t rattle like most of Maruti’s cars.
  • Doors close with a nice thud but don’t have a heavy feeling to them. I had to close the driver door a few times before it would shut completely. Here again i20 had an upper edge.
  • Interiors are nice, I felt it is very spacious, a bit more than the i20, specially the rear. All-black interiors do look nice but having lighter colours would have given the impression of a huge cabin space.
  • The plastic quality though nice, I could press and flex the door panels. They felt hollow. The rear door panels felt more flimsy than the front ones. The door panels on the Elite i20 felt rock solid in comparison.
  • There is no ac vent at the rear, this could have been a nice addition. It does help the rear passengers during a hot day.
  • The window switches on the Baleno are not backlit and are same as that on the Swift. The parking sensor and headlight levelling buttons are again from the Swift and feel cheap.
  • Boot is very spacious and the seats fold easily.
  • I was checking the alloys when I saw this.

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-20151028_154751.jpg

Looks like the Tie rod and the disc brakes are rusted already. I hope Maruti has taken proper car and provided rust protection. We have a Swift and Ertiga in family and both showed signs of rust within a year. Earlier we had a Zen which also developed rust in quite a few places. In comparison our Ford Ikon which even after 12 years and just over 50k kms has not shown any drastic signs of rust.

By the way, I experienced a very strange situation at the showroom, which raises the question - how to revive the car when its battery is dead and it is fitted with all the gadgets and gizmos?

The Alpha model parked in the showroom had its battery drained completely. Which meant none of the operations on the car could be done. The boot which opens by pressing the request button could not be opened. Not sure how can one open it in case of an emergency. I asked the sales person and he had no idea. The car was literally dead, not sure if jump starting a Start Stop button equipped car can work to revive it. Experts can throw some light on how to tackle such situations.

Overall the Baleno seems like a good option. I feel this is the evolution of the Swift. It has the same heart but with a new body.
I am currently confused between the Elite i20 and Baleno. A proper test drive in the Baleno and the T-BHP review should help.
SRK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 00:05   #1071
BHPian

I checked out baleno at ggn nexa. Flimsy build but all Suzuki cars are like that. Definitely will compete with Figo for tinniness and be at par with jazz. Everything else is good with the car. Plastics etc are. Mostly average. Cars with better build fleece on so many other fronts that it is probably difficult to say yes to those. Maruti quality is definitely downhill for many years. Maybe absorbing inflation in cost of production.
5kmiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 00:12   #1072
BHPian

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Moderators please put an end to all the doubts that we have in our minds. We need a review sooner than later. It's a very sincere request.
I know you guys must be working hard at it and must be jotting down points which are growing at each second. After going through each and every post, I am very excited to see what the official review has to say.

Slightly off topic, today when I visited a Nexa showroom I found out that S Cross 1.3 also has discounts of around 25-30K. Final details of discount will be shared on table only when we finalise.
When people still have doubts about the quality, crash worthiness, tin can sheeted metal, weight, magic, etc one thing is sure ,the baleno effect is doing some good for prospective suv/crossover buyers. Discounts and then more discounts on the way. And dare I say some more discounts. 😊

Last edited by chintu_91 : 29th October 2015 at 00:17.
chintu_91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 01:28   #1073
Senior - BHPian

@ SRK- are you sure battery was dead and not disconnected?

I am asking this cos i Remember when Ciaz was launched and I went to check in the showroom none of the controls were working in the display car. I asked the sales guy and he said we disconnect the battery ourselves at times cos too many customers come and fiddle with controls all day long.

When I said that's really weird. He replied that many customers request to switch on the engine and then rev it up to check engine noise which creates a nuisance in the showroom. So, instead of declining them rudely we politely tell them that battery is drained out.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 07:23   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
I visited the NEXA Andheri West showroom today. Did not experience the so-called “Premium” experience that Maruti Suzuki were talking about. It wasn’t different from how the normal showrooms operate.
With the sheer number of people who turned up at the dealership, i think we can cut the fellas some slack. That being said, the next time you do visit, please ask for Mayur(a close friend) or Zubair(the RM assigned to me) and give them my reference. I am sure they'll address all your queries to your satisfaction. Feel free to PM me and i'll help you out with their numbers.

Quote:
Overall the Baleno seems like a good option. I feel this is the evolution of the Swift. It has the same heart but with a new body.
I am currently confused between the Elite i20 and Baleno. A proper test drive in the Baleno and the T-BHP review should help.
Your impressions about the Baleno are spot on and exactly akin to mine. Why wouldn't they be. The 2 of us checked out the absolutely same cars at the same place, haha. To be frank, I am in the same boat as you are. Maybe we should pair up for a purchase? Should help get a better deal . My turn to PM you!

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 29th October 2015 at 07:32.
Old 29th October 2015, 07:49   #1075
BHPian

On a funny note, today's ToI carries a 'premium' advertisement for Baleno. Its two full pages of black Nexa profligacy devoured by chrome all round.

Apologies for poor quality of picture but you get an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-1446085087323.jpg  

atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 08:05   #1076
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@ SRK- are you sure battery was dead and not disconnected?
I tried opening the boot but was not able to. Thought that the car would be locked but that wasn't the case. Looked inside if there was an unlock button or a lever but couldn't find one. I asked the sales person and he said "Sir Battery down ho gaya hai", to which I asked, how will I open the boot in case of an emergency? and he said they don't know but will try and find out.

I think there should be some kind of a mechanism to open it from inside. I think Elite i20 does provide such a system, where in after folding the rear seats one can open the boot from inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am asking this cos i Remember when Ciaz was launched and I went to check in the showroom none of the controls were working in the display car. I asked the sales guy and he said we disconnect the battery ourselves at times cos too many customers come and fiddle with controls all day long.

When I said that's really weird. He replied that many customers request to switch on the engine and then rev it up to check engine noise which creates a nuisance in the showroom. So, instead of declining them rudely we politely tell them that battery is drained out.
I think you could be correct. The showroom guys might have actually disconnected the battery, as none of the electrical functions were working. This could have been done to make sure that people don't fiddle too much with the LED lights and SmartPlay but then prospective customers might feel its a problem with the car. (I remembered how initially the Grand i10 had a problem where the battery would get drained if left idle for a few days)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
The next time you do visit, please ask for Mayur(a close friend) or Zubair(the RM assigned to me) and give them my reference. I am sure they'll address all your queries to your satisfaction. Feel free to PM me and i'll help you out with their numbers.
I did interact with Mayur at the showroom. Might ask for Zubair next time.
I also plan to visit the other two NEXA outlets soon to check out the car and ask about test drives.

Quote:
Your impressions about the Baleno are spot on and exactly akin to mine. Why wouldn't they be. The 2 of us checked out the absolutely same cars at the same place, haha. To be frank, I am in the same boat as you are. Maybe we should pair up for a purchase? Should help get a better deal . My turn to PM you!
I think even if we check different cars the impression would be the same. For me the Baleno is a grown up Swift. Not bad but there were some negative points in the Swift which I hope don't get passed on to the Baleno like rusting, rattling, etc.

What other alternative to the Baleno are you looking for?
If Maruti raises the price post Diwali, then the confusion will be more as currently the price difference between the Baleno Alpha and Elite i20 Asta (O) is around 25K-27K.

By the way, the waiting period is around 6-8 weeks which means the car if booked now will be delivered around Jan and one would have to pay the price on the day of billing as there is no option of price lock-in. So I was thinking to delay the delivery and push them for a 2016 manufactured model, which could probably come in Feb start.
Old 29th October 2015, 08:09   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Alpha model parked in the showroom had its battery drained completely. Which meant none of the operations on the car could be done. The boot which opens by pressing the request button could not be opened. Not sure how can one open it in case of an emergency. I asked the sales person and he had no idea. The car was literally dead, not sure if jump starting a Start Stop button equipped car can work to revive it. Experts can throw some light on how to tackle such situations.
Cars with smart keys (i.e. key-less entry along with start stop) will drain the battery faster. If the car is unlocked and the smart key is close enough for the car to detect, the car will always be in alive mode and will drain the battery.

So, most dealerships will keep the battery disconnected. Or charge the car battery once a while. I recall Ford doing the latter when they the EcoSport was launched.

So, either the battery is disconnected or drained. If its drained, it can be revived by a jump start and charging the battery by an external source of driving the car around.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 08:23   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
I think even if we check different cars the impression would be the same. For me the Baleno is a grown up Swift. Not bad but there were some negative points in the Swift which I hope don't get passed on to the Baleno like rusting, rattling, etc.
Build quality of the Baleno is my only concern else, it makes a good case for itself. But, after seeing the wafer thin sheet metal and how it flexed, i still have concerns if this will handle even minor shunts in city traffic! Did you open the hood and see the engine and stuff underneath? Underwhelming! Feels like a budget car to the core.

Quote:
What other alternative to the Baleno are you looking for?
If Maruti raises the price post Diwali, then the confusion will be more as currently the price difference between the Baleno Alpha and Elite i20 Asta (O) is around 25K-27K
I was eyeing the Zeta. So, the equivalent for that is the Sportz(O) or the Jazz VMT(Liked this the best as it offers the best of both worlds-decent looks and excellent driving. I am mighty confused about the i20 simply coz of the way it drives. Looks lovely!). All in all works out to a more than 70k difference for these.

Quote:
By the way, the waiting period is around 6-8 weeks which means the car if booked now will be delivered around Jan and one would have to pay the price on the day of billing as there is no option of price lock-in. So I was thinking to delay the delivery and push them for a 2016 manufactured model, which could probably come in Feb start.
The introductory price bit weighed down heavily on me too. If MS increases the prices, it will be equivalent to the price depreciation you'll take later on. So, might as well book and enjoy one now . But honestly, I think it will be marginal or they run the high risk of people moving on to explore better alternatives. If the gap between the Baleno Alpha and i20 Asta(O) reduces any further than the one you mention, for me picking the i20 of the two would be the most obvious choice.

NEXA Andheri West has a lot of bookings and hence the delay in deliveries. I caught up with an RM from a couple of other NEXA outlets as well and they are ready to offer delivery much earlier. One newly opened outlet had certain variant-color combinations that they could deliver on as early as 9/11th November! Do PM me and Ill help you out with the contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
On a funny note, today's ToI carries a 'premium' advertisement for Baleno. Its two full pages of black Nexa profligacy devoured by chrome all round.
Made of mettle? Sure and why not! The metal isn't quite there, yet!
Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 29th October 2015 at 08:51.
MetalBuff is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 08:42   #1079
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Cars with smart keys (i.e. key-less entry along with start stop) will drain the battery faster. If the car is unlocked and the smart key is close enough for the car to detect, the car will always be in alive mode and will drain the battery.

So, most dealerships will keep the battery disconnected. Or charge the car battery once a while. I recall Ford doing the latter when they the EcoSport was launched.

So, either the battery is disconnected or drained. If its drained, it can be revived by a jump start and charging the battery by an external source of driving the car around.
Thanks for pointing that out. Would there be a minimum distance the key fob has to be placed to keep the system alive.

Imagine a situation where the driver has unlocked the car and is close by the vehicle for a long period of time. The next thing he knows is that the car won't start and has to call for RSA.

I think the showroom guys should make an arrangement where they can source the power from outside. As having a car with features not functioning actually creates a bad impression more so when its a new launch and people are expected to test it. I wanted to check the SmartPlay system on the Baleno but couldn't and I was told the battery is drained. The showroom isn't quite close to where I live, so I will have to go again next time and I hope they have charged or connected the battery. I remember seeing at launch events and auto shows that the high end cars used to get an external power source so as to keep most of the things functioning without the engine running. They should try this method.

Quote:
Build quality of the Baleno is my only concern else, it makes a good case for itself. But, after seeing the wafer thin sheet metal and how it flexed, i still have concerns if this will handle even minor shunts in city traffic! Did you open the hood and see the engine and stuff underneath? Underwhelming! Feels like a budget car to the core.

I was eyeing the Zeta. So, the equivalent for that is the Sportz(O) or the Jazz VMT(Liked this the best as it offers the best of both worlds-decent looks and excellent driving. I am mighty confused about the i20 simply coz of the way it drives. Looks lovely!). All in all works out to a more than 70k difference for these.

The introductory price bit weighed down heavily on me too. If they increase the prices by what you mention, it will be equivalent to the price depreciation you'll take later on. So, might as well book and enjoy one now . NEXA Andheri West has a lot of bookings and hence the delay in deliveries.

I caught up with an RM from a couple of other NEXA outlets as well and they are ready to offer delivery much earlier. One newly opened outlet had certain variant-color combinations that they could deliver on as early as 9/11th November! Do PM me and Ill help you out with the contact.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
I just had a quick look under the hood and it felt exposed. Looks like Maruti has done cost cutting on areas that will not be seen most of the time. I expect the export models to be much higher built in terms of quality.

Zeta does makes sense and saves around 80K (more confusion ). One can add an aftermarket system later when it arrives. As for projector lamps volkman10 has mentioned in the S-Cross official thread that Maruti has directed dealers not to upgrade them, reason being a difference in wiring harness. So the only way would be to get it as a spare part and fix it outside which means the warranty goes for a toss.

I don't mind waiting. Waiting for 2 months (that is already the waiting period) would get me a 2016 manufactured model. Was looking if the dealer would provide a price lock kind of arrangement if booked now but that is not the case.

Last edited by SRK : 29th October 2015 at 08:46.
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 08:45   #1080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. Would there be a minimum distance the key fob has to be placed to keep the system alive.
I guess the key fob should be in the car, it will flash a message when the fob is not detected(or rather outside)!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks