Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

Audi launches A3 40 TFSI Premium variant at Rs. 25.50 lakh

Audi has launched A3 40 TFSI Premium sedan in India at a price of Rs. 25.50 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai and Delhi). The Premium will be the new base model of the petrol powered A3 in India.

Audi launches A3 40 TFSI Premium variant at Rs. 25.50 lakh-audi-a3-sedan_40-tfsi.jpg

The A3 40 TFSI Premium gets 16-inch, 15-spoke "Y" design alloy wheels, halogen headlamps, light / rain sensor and electrically retractable door mirrors. The car is also available with Audi's High Gloss Package.

On the inside, the A3 40 TFSI Premium is equipped with a 4-spoke, multifunction steering wheel, new ambient transparent inlays in 3D look, floor mats and leatherette - fabric upholstery. Customers can choose between the option of black, chestnut brown and pashmina beige for interior upholstery.

Audi launches A3 40 TFSI Premium variant at Rs. 25.50 lakh-audi-a3-40-tfsi-premium.jpg

The car is equipped with Audi Multimedia Interface (MMI), dual-zone air-conditioning with sun sensor and rear AC vents, rear parking sensors and cruise control. The Premium also gets lighting package plus, electronically adjustable driver seat and a chrome package.

Safety features include seven airbags, anti-slip regulation, electronic stabilisation control and anti-theft wheel bolts.

The Audi A3 40 TFSI is powered by a 1,798cc, 4-cylinder, 177 BHP @ 5,100-6,200 rpm and 250 Nm of torque @ 1,250-5000 rpm. The engine is mated to a 7-speed S-Tronic dual-clutch transmission. Audi claims that the car can sprint from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds and return a fuel efficiency of 16.6 kpl.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2015 at 07:13.
Aditya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Audi launches A3 40 TFSI Premium variant at Rs. 25.50 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Audi claims that the car can sprint from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds.
^ I Highly DOUBT that 7.3 secs to the TON figure.

IMO 8.2x sec range to 100 sounds believeable.

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd September 2015 at 17:31.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:32   #3
Mtv
BHPian

The Octavia 1.8 TSI still makes a boatload of sense over the A3.

It's more spacious inside, has xenons and a sunroof, all while retaining the exact same engine, transmission and platform at a considerably cheaper price.
Mtv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:37   #4
BHPian

With 1.8 TSI Audi priced at 25L, VW can only price the upcoming 1.8 TSI Polo GTi at around 17L or so. If priced as such the Polo GTi will be great deal over this A3 since GTi usually comes loaded with features. I don't think even top of the line A3 will be offered with Quattro.
super.cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
^ I Highly DOUBT that 7.3 secs to the TON figure.

IMO 8.2x sec range to 100 sounds believeable.

It doesnt. It does it in 8.2/3 seconds. Something wrong there. Audi has a habit of understating the performance figures.
Even an overstatement wouldn't be so emphatic. Seems to be a mistake.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Audi launches A3 40 TFSI Premium variant at Rs. 25.50 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
It doesnt. It does it in 8.2/3 seconds. Something wrong there. Audi has a habit of understating the performance figures.
True, they do understate. Not only Audi but the German trio (Merc, BMW too) right from their horse power nos. to the performance figures.

Regarding this A3 0-100 figure it definitely is a mistake & a stupid one

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd September 2015 at 11:59.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:14   #7
BHPian

Audi claim that the 0-100 time is in fact 7.3 seconds. From their website:

"The 1.8 TFSI engine with 132 kW works with the Audi valvelift system and intelligent thermal management. More torque is generated at low engine speed by switching between two exhaust cam contours. You feel the effect directly: the engine reacts more quickly and accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds with S tronic ®. The Audi valvelift system also helps you to save fuel and reduce CO2 emissions. In addition to fuel direct injection, the 1.8 TFSI (132 kW) uses indirect injection, which makes the part load range even more efficient"

http://www.audi.com.au/au/brand/en/m...ines/tfsi.html
Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post

It's more spacious inside, has xenons and a sunroof, all while retaining the exact same engine, transmission and platform at a considerably cheaper price.
Agree with you completely on the Octavia thing. Recently a friend of mine was in the market for a car and picked up the A3 inspite of a lot of us advising him not to. The reason was simple, the badge.
There are customers who will go for badge at this price point for various reasons. This variant will sell in single digits.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
True, they do understate. Not only Audi but the German trio (Merc, BMW too) right from their horse power nos. to the performance figures.

Regarding this A3 0-100 figure it definitely is a mistake & a stupid one
The diesel does 0-100 in 8.x seconds. I've driven the A3 cabriolet, which shares the TFSI with the A3, with the engine in the same state of tune, and it feels substantially faster than the diesel. So, I would believe the 7.3 seconds figure for the A3.
bosporus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
The diesel does 0-100 in 8.x seconds. I've driven the A3 cabriolet, which shares the TFSI with the A3, with the engine in the same state of tune, and it feels substantially faster than the diesel. So, I would believe the 7.3 seconds figure for the A3.

You could have a point there. I checked the octi 1.8 tsi's figures after the discussion here and says bang 8 to 100.
The A3 being smaller and lighter would only be quicker so surely under 8. But 7/10th of a second faster ? Now that needs to be confirmed.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:00   #11
BHPian

C'mon Audi, don't stop here. Go one step further, give us an attraction spec with a manual, slash another 4 lakhs from that 25.50 ex showroom price.
Do it for the enthusiasts.I swear I'll definitely pick one up.
nakul0888 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 12:01   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So, in summary, this new 'premium' variant has some more features over the poverty-spec Attraction variant?

Quote:
Well & truly agreed. The Octavia is a superior car in every way. Even in terms of presence & street cred, the larger Octavia surely looks better than the tiny A3. As much of a fan as I am of Audi's styling, the A3's midget size makes it look rather funny in person.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 13:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well & truly agreed. The Octavia is a superior car in every way. Even in terms of presence & street cred, the larger Octavia surely looks better than the tiny A3. As much of a fan as I am of Audi's styling, the A3's midget size makes it look rather funny in person.
Having spent a fair bit of time with both, I'd posit that it's more nuanced that that.

The Octavia makes more sense: bigger, better features, price. I emphasise sense, because these are the more rational aspects of a car purchase.

BUT, the A3 feels faster, peppier, nimbler, has better body control and has a stiffer chassis. All in all, a far better drivers car. The car also feels more better put together, and as a bonus, the cabin is a far more special place, with luxury oozing out of every item. The Octavia, in comparison, feels almost pedestrian. Please note that I drove a Premium Plus (I think; it was one of the higher variants), I think, so not sure how the base variant compares on the cabin quality aspects, though I don't think it will be much different.

However, it's not all rosy in the A3 camp. My daily driver is a Vento, and even though on paper the A3 is bigger & wider and has a longer wheelbase, I can swear the A3 felt more cramped than a Vento - the operative word, again, is felt, since I was not looking at a real comparison and didn't actually check on this.

Having said that, between a Octavia & an A3, I'd still pick an A3 any day, since it feels like a superior car. Please note, I don't have a wife (or a kid), so this is from a self-centred driver's POV, so comfort / convenience of anyone else in the car is not something I worry about.

Postscript: I vote for the A3 because this is a comparison between the A3 & the Octavia - in the real world, I'd pay a tiny bit more & buy the BMW 3, which is any day a far more superior drivers car.

Last edited by bosporus : 4th September 2015 at 13:41.
bosporus is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 13:56   #14
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2015 at 17:38.
kilireddy0 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th September 2015, 03:29   #15
BHPian

Audi is really aggressive with their variants and pricing, I'm sure we'll even get the 1.4 TFSI, 1.6 TDI if they find some competition, BMW 1 sedan maybe..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks