Team-BHP - Next-generation Swift / Dzire / Ertiga in FY 2018
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Next-generation Swift / Dzire / Ertiga in FY 2018 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/167925-next-generation-swift-dzire-ertiga-fy-2018-a.html)

Kudos to Maruti for doing continuous improvement to their portfolio clap:

India's largest car maker Maruti Suzuki is planning a major overhaul of its bestsellers - Swift and Swift Dzire, in an altogether new avatar. In its new generation both Swift and Dzire will get an all new body and a new engine at the heart.

Apart from Swift, Dzire, Ertiga too will get a mid-cycle facelift with new engine options. The new generations of the premium hatchback and compact sedan codenamed YSD are likely to hit the market in FY-18 with an annual potential of 4.5 lakh units. Whereas the new Ertiga codenamed YHA is expected to launched between October 2017 and January 2018, which may have an annual potential of 80,000 units per annum, said people in the know.

Several people in the know of the development told that apart from getting a major makeover to its exterior, the Swift and Dzire will also get Suzuki's own 1.5 litre diesel engine (codenamed E15A) and the existing 1.3 litre diesel engine with its new affordable mild-hybrid technology coined SHVS - Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki. Similarly the compact MPV Ertiga gets a new 1.4 litre petrol engine (K14C) and the 1.5 litre diesel engine.

When contacted, Maruti Suzuki spokesperson told, "The company does not comment on future product plans." Developed in line with modular architecture adopted by other global OEMS, these three models will share a lot of parts, hence helping the company save cost.

"These new generation models are developed keeping in mind the new regulations (crash, safety, emission norms) planned by the Indian government. The vehicles will get much lighter under the new architecture, thereby helping the company further improve fuel efficiency and will get an attractive design then before, which many consider will help Maruti Suzuki to further strengthen its position and share of the market," said one of several people in the know of the development.

Read more: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/48851788.cms

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 3796298)
"These new generation models are developed keeping in mind the new regulations (crash, safety, emission norms) planned by the Indian government.

If this is indeed true then it is a welcome development. But I will reserve judgement till we see actual crash test results.

I wish the new design of the Swift, Dzire and the Ertiga are fresh and truly inspiring, unlike the previous generation of the Swift & Dzire where a safe play was adopted, and for the untrained, both the generations looked alike.
The generation differences are strikingly obvious if you take for example the Elite i20 & the old i20, Ford Fiesta & the Classic, 3rd gen Honda City & the previous generations. However Suzuki is yet to come with such truly new generations.
When they introduce such new ones, hope our laws are more safety conscious, so that even the base variants have good deal of safety features.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonSnow (Post 3796583)
If this is indeed true then it is a welcome development. But I will reserve judgement till we see actual crash test results.

On the contrary, that could be really concerning given how much 'Indian' standards (where they actually exist) lag behind international ones, and SIAM is doing its best to stop us from catching up with those ahead of us on the curve.

Unless proven otherwise (as you rightly mention), this just sounds like a continuation of the 'Indians don't need better standards/safety/you name it' rhetoric of their current head honcho. I hope reality differs, though I suspect it won't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 3796751)
On the contrary, that could be really concerning given how much 'Indian' standards (where they actually exist) lag behind international ones, and SIAM is doing its best to stop us from catching up with those ahead of us on the curve.

Unless proven otherwise (as you rightly mention), this just sounds like a continuation of the 'Indians don't need better standards/safety/you name it' rhetoric of their current head honcho. I hope reality differs, though I suspect it won't.

True. I hope the govt is serious about the issue and does not water down the standards under pressure from SIAM.

I was quite excited when I read about the 1.5L Diesel engine. But after I read about the make (Suzuki), am kinda disappointed, especially thinking what they managed to achieve with the Celerio diesel.

Another annoyingly prominent point is the focus on higher FE by reducing the weight. If TATA thinks of shedding weight, I can understand; but a Maruti? How much more weight will you shed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hybridpetrol (Post 3796740)
The generation differences are strikingly obvious if you take for example the Elite i20 & the old i20, Ford Fiesta & the Classic, 3rd gen Honda City & the previous generations. However Suzuki is yet to come with such truly new generations.

Suzuki does have such generations of vehicles. And these generations do have striking changes too. Its just that in India, they sell different generations side by side, with different names. The 800, Alto and A-Star are different generations of the Suzuki Alto. The Indian Alto (the older one), was discontinued in Japan in 2004 while it was sold in India even a decade after that.

Maruti to advance launch of new-gen Swift Dzire by a year - likely to go up in sale by 2017/18, the year it is scheduled to launch the new-generation Swift.

Maruti’s plans to revamp its line of popular models that includes the Swift, Dzire and Ertiga as part of a plan to double its annual sales to 2 million units by 2020.

The three models will carry a new design with improved engine specifications and full-body changes.

Components for the next Gen models are under development.

Quote:

Maruti Suzuki India Ltd is planning to advance the introduction of its new-generation Swift Dzire sedan by almost a year as it seeks to protect its turf in the face of competition
Quote:

The company is also planning to launch a Dzire Tour model, aimed at taxi operators, with a petrol engine. Maruti currently has only the diesel version of the Dzire Tour running in the cab market. The petrol model can be retrofitted with a CNG kit to meet the new norms in Delhi
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/JL...by-a-year.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 3878801)
....Components for the next Gen models are under development...

I really hope they "develop" a new premium looking power window switches for sure. The current one fits anything under the 5L mark, not beyond. Am sure they have had enough & more ROI on the current set with this doing duty from the Celerio to the S-Cross and may be the Gran Vitara too (going by the spy pics).

When they develop the new DZire from the all-new Swift, the main things they have to do is to make it a premium sedan and to extend it to 4.25m in length, and price it slightly above current DZire, and below Ciaz. The problem with current DZire is, even though it is developed from a premium hatch like Swift, the sedan is placed as a budget car.

Maruti Suzuki's next Gen Dzire to roll out of its Gujarat plant in 2018.

Quote:

The second model to roll out from the factory in 2018 will be the new Swift Dzire that is being developed on a new platform with many innovations
http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...ary-2017-20343

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 3878908)
4.25m

Unfortunately that won't happen. Everyone wants a chunk of the compact sedan segment and Maruti is leading it by a huge margin. They would never dare to take a risk with their golden baby.

I'm hoping they come up with a more proportionate design. Can't expect any other big revolutions from MS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4000715)
Unfortunately that won't happen. Everyone wants a chunk of the compact sedan segment and Maruti is leading it by a huge margin. They would never dare to take a risk with their golden baby.

I'm hoping they come up with a more proportionate design. Can't expect any other big revolutions from MS.

Making a Swift-based sub-4m sedan proportionate is the most difficult task than any other car because of the sharper design of the hatch. Targeting the 4.25m segment may be a better option for more proportionate design, IMO.

Inorder not to give away the current sales of sub-4m version, they can continue the current version as sub-4m, and launch the new version in the new platform with 4.25m length as Grand Dzire at a 50-80K premium over the current one.

Maruti's sedan offerings then can be:

The current sub-4m model.
The new Grand DZire version.
Tour model.
Ciaz.

The Grand DZire can make use of the Swift and DZire brand values, and the advantage of a more proportionate design and better boot space than current one. Ciaz sales may get affected, but Maruti has this policy of multiple models in same segment.

A Baleno-based sub-4m sedan? Anyone?stupid:

A Baleno-based sub-4m sedan? Anyone?

The Baleno itself is just a shade under 4m. Not possible to have a Baleno sedan under 4m then.
Owning a current gen Dzire, I regret that there weren't (any) options when I was out to buy a "sedan", a pseudo sedan that it is.
At present, I'd pick the Xcent or upcoming Kite5 sedan in a heartbeat.

MS had better work to get a good design for the next gen Dzire, ingress-egress at the rear especially! It kills me to see family/friends cram in the rear bench, like they've punished to do so.

GaadiWaadi sources report that the all-new DZire will come first, followed by the Swift.

The all-new generation of the hatchback sibling is supposed to make it's world debut at the 2016 Frankfurt Motor Show in September, but the sub-compact sedan has been chalked down for an early Indian launch first.

Quote:

According to our trusted sources, the best-selling subcompact sedan in the country, Maruti Suzuki Dzire, will be launched ahead of the arrival of new generation Swift hatchback.

While the Indo-Japanese conglomerate can bank on the new generation Swift to ramp up the sales, a freshly designed Dzire sedan would become an attractive prospect as well. Before the India launch of the Swift, expected late next year, the Dzire has been slated to go up for sale as revealed our trusted sources.