Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2008, 14:42   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
News is that the 1.2 features VVT, so perhaps you are right. I hope the 1.4 is the 100 bhp motor from the Indigo XL.
Steer, I heard that the 1.2 and 1.4 are from the same family in FIAT's family of engines, and I think FIAT would consider it beneath themselves to use a Tata engine in their Linea, since that would not reflect their lineage (pun intended).

But I heard that the 1.4 in Indigo XL was really good, I hope Tata can find a use for it in the X1 sedan
Old 4th August 2008, 14:50   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Any specs of the 1.2 and 1.4 petrol engines? 8v or 16v? sohc or dohc? what are the max power and torque ratings at what rpms?

Is Indica v3 slated to get 75 bhp 1.3 JTD or the VGT one?
Hoping that @paddy77 would have some, but I Googled and found that the 1242cc Super FIRE with DOHC and VVT could make upto 86 horses at 6k RPM and generate 11.4 Kg/m at 3k rpm. It was toned down to 80 horses at 5K rpm to meet EU norms.

Unfortunately this engine series is about 10 years old already, so I am wondering if Fiat-Tata can upgrade them to meet Bharat Stage IV and V norms
Old 4th August 2008, 15:07   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I Googled and found that the 1242cc Super FIRE with DOHC and VVT could make upto 86 horses at 6k RPM and generate 11.4 Kg/m at 3k rpm. It was toned down to 80 horses at 5K rpm to meet EU norms.

Unfortunately this engine series is about 10 years old already, so I am wondering if Fiat-Tata can upgrade them to meet Bharat Stage IV and V norms
Having 1242cc will not fetch them tax benefits. They will have to get it within 1200cc. I am wondering whether this is an entirely new engine. This does not seem to be there in any country where Fiat is selling its cars.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:33   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Having 1242cc will not fetch them tax benefits. They will have to get it within 1200cc. I am wondering whether this is an entirely new engine. This does not seem to be there in any country where Fiat is selling its cars.
Fully Integrated Robotised Engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I guess Tata's own engine from the Xeta can do that for them. I am sure they can tune it to get some more horses.

Now coming to the Super FIRE 1242cc engine, if indeed that's what they are bringing here, it is already 10 years old and is no longer offered in most mainstream markets. It is now more or less replaced by the 1.4 L in various guises.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:39   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
News is that the 1.2 features VVT
VVT as in Variable Vane Turbo or Variable Valve Timing or both?

It appears the 1.2 underwent various improvements before its introduction in the Grand Punto. Check this:

italiaspeed.com: Fiat Grande Punto

I didn't find any mention of VVT there so may be that's a subsequent development.

Last edited by directinjection : 4th August 2008 at 15:58.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:41   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Steer, I heard that the 1.2 and 1.4 are from the same family in FIAT's family of engines, and I think FIAT would consider it beneath themselves to use a Tata engine in their Linea, since that would not reflect their lineage (pun intended).
We are talking about the Indica V3 here, not a Fiat.

If FIAT were so proud of their lineage they shouldnt have tied up with Tata.
Old 4th August 2008, 16:29   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
was the sedan camouflaged or running open like V3. That would define when can we expect the sedan.
The V3 was not camouflaged obviously cos it was showcased in the Auto Expo 08 . Previous Spy Pics of Sedan by Tushky were camouflaged.
Old 4th August 2008, 16:46   #248
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone has any idea about the launch date as i am in the process of buying a new car?
Old 4th August 2008, 16:51   #249
BHPian

Quote:
We are talking about the Indica V3 here, not a Fiat.

If FIAT were so proud of their lineage they shouldnt have tied up with Tata.
Sorry, I got it wrong, in the back of my mind I was thinking of the new engine assembly line that the two have set up, I was of the opinion that engines from both companies could not be assembled on the same line - not cost effective ,plus the part about Fiat using a Tata engine.
Old 4th August 2008, 17:09   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
VVT as in Variable Vane Turbo or Variable Valve Timing or both?

It appears the 1.2 underwent various improvements before its introduction in the Grand Punto. Check this:

italiaspeed.com: Fiat Grande Punto

I didn't find any mention of VVT there so may be that's a subsequent development.
This website is no doubt from a blogger but I find it good reading

Fiat Punto II

Check the FIRE and Super FIRE
Old 4th August 2008, 17:16   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
was the sedan camouflaged or running open like V3. That would define when can we expect the sedan.
guys hope till now everybody knows that my very close relative (vcr) works in ERC (engg. and research) so all updates about the TML vehicles are absolutely true.

tez buddy its the X1 sedan for sure yes it was wrapped in a black cover (read-masking) with masking tapes on the logo.

@ indivic and deepak here are your specs for indica safire--(mind you no VGT buddy)
Capacity 1,248cc
Number of Cylinders
4 Number of Valves
16 Bore x Stroke
69.6mm x 82mm Maximum Power
75bhp @ 4,000rpm Maximum Torque
190Nm @ 2,000rpm Fuel Distribution
Common rail Air Charging System
Fixed geometry turbo charger with intercooler Emission
BS-III Fuel Injection System
Common rail multi injection @ 1,400 bar Drive Train
DOHC Oil Filter
Green oil filter
guys will get back to you as soon as i get the next update about the engine.no idea about the petrol engines sorry about that.

NOTE TO MODS'-can i use the abbrevation VCR for (very close relative) in my posts hence forth?
Old 4th August 2008, 17:22   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy77 View Post
NOTE TO MODS'-can i use the abbrevation VCR for (very close relative) in my posts hence forth?
VCR is video cassette recorder according to me! Jokes apart prefer if you could take time to type full or joe's like me will get confused.
Old 4th August 2008, 17:25   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy77 View Post
Maximum Torque 190Nm @ 2,000rpm
Are you sure about these figures? 190nm from a 1.2 litre Petrol Engine???? Thats 1.5 litre Common Rail territory - that cannot be right. You're probably quoting 1.3 litre MJD figures as Saffire (which is Petrol) figures.

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th August 2008 at 17:26.
Old 4th August 2008, 17:25   #254
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info paddy77. I am actually interested in the information about 1.2 FIRE and the 1.4 engine (FIRE?).

Is 1.2 FIRE the same as the 1242 cc engine found in Palio with certain tweaks? Or is it a different engine totally?

I am wondering because Tata has the 1.2 engine for Xeta. Why would they opt to go for Fiat's petrol engine? I can understand 1.3 JTD, but 1.2 and 1.4 FIRE will surprise me.
Old 4th August 2008, 17:27   #255
Senior - BHPian

now that so many fiat engines are going to come in Indica bodies, I think it will be pretty hard for Fiat cars to sell on their build quality alone.
Or will the royalties from the powerplant sales offset the revenue reduction in car sales

PS: what about the gearboxes?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed