Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2015, 14:16   #196
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

I have been trying different air pressures to suit my comfort. Earlier it was at 32 and felt very bouncy, so I brought it down to 29-30. Then I had changed the suspension setup to IronMan comfort Nitrogas shockers and it has made a huge huge difference in the ride and handling quality, but the tires then felt a tad "soft" at 29~30, so now I have revered to 32, and it feels better now.

Modifications so far. Big shout-out to BlackPeark and Himadri Mondal for their tips.

1) Thar expedition kit front bumper with winch plate.
2) Thar expedition kit rear bumper.
3) Insect Mesh from Mahindra.
4) Headlamp grill from Mahindra.
5) Double-din audio (Blaupunkpt)
6) Front facing rear seats with seatbelts
7) Fabricated a roll-over bar using the design from Mahindra's SA bar, has come out quite well.
8) IronMan 4x4 Nitro gas shockers (comfort oriented).
9) Hella compact 500, which I plan to change to Black Magic 500 as it would suit a Black Thar better. Anyone have feedback on the Hella BlackMagic 500 fog lamps.
10) Headlamp upgrade to Osram Nightbreaker.
11) Fiber antenna fixed on front bumper, shortened a bit.
12) Tires changed to Michelin LTX AT2

I am looking for Neo Alloys , Punch design PCD 160 in machine black finish, but so far the dealer only has a set of 4.
johy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 15:45   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post

1) Thar expedition kit front bumper with winch plate.
2) Thar expedition kit rear bumper.
3) Insect Mesh from Mahindra.
4) Headlamp grill from Mahindra.

9) Hella compact 500, which I plan to change to Black Magic 500 as it would suit a Black Thar better. Anyone have feedback on the Hella BlackMagic 500 fog lamps.
10) Headlamp upgrade to Osram Nightbreaker.
11) Fiber antenna fixed on front bumper, shortened a bit.
12) Tires changed to Michelin LTX AT2

I am looking for Neo Alloys , Punch design PCD 160 in machine black finish, but so far the dealer only has a set of 4.
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-20151122_150454.jpg

So the current look is like this which is the way I like it.

One of the reasons for going with smaller fog lamps is when installing a winch (later), the fogs can be moved on top of the bull-bar. If you have very large fog lamps over the bull bar, the fog lights are above the height of the headlamps which is not exactly desirable. Plus they kind of look and feel an over-kill, just my 2 cents.

Still looking for Neo Punch 160 PCD alloys in black machine finish. Any leads from Kolkata would be welcome.
johy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:52   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1442261

One of the reasons for going with smaller fog lamps is when installing a winch (later), the fogs can be moved on top of the bull-bar. If you have very large fog lamps over the bull bar, the fog lights are above the height of the headlamps which is not exactly desirable. Plus they kind of look and feel an over-kill, just my 2 cents.

Still looking for Neo Punch 160 PCD alloys in black machine finish. Any leads from Kolkata would be welcome.
Hi Johy, your Thar is looking smashing !

Are those the stock tyres that you're using ? please share some images of the vehicle from other angles.

Cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 15:43   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Johy, your Thar is looking smashing !

Are those the stock tyres that you're using ? please share some images of the vehicle from other angles.

Cheers

Kundan
Thanks Kundan. As requested here are a few more pictures. Please excuse mobile picture quality and light.

I was using stock steel rims with Michelin LTX AT2 (stock size 235/70 R16) in the earlier picture. However, I have now changed to HRS alloy wheels (model 547 Matt Gray finish). Although not my first choice for alloys, I seem to like them after install. These are 16 x 8J so create a negative offset. With the wider footprint the Thar really feels good to drive. On the downside, more dirt in the sides of the Thar - can't have everything. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-20151124_141736.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-20151124_141823.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-20151124_141849.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-20151124_141910.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-20151124_141927.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-sizing.jpg
johy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 15:57   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Kundan. As requested here are a few more pictures. Please excuse mobile picture quality and light.

I was using stock steel rims with Michelin LTX AT2 (stock size 235/70 R16) in the earlier picture. However, I have now changed to HRS alloy wheels (model 547 Matt Gray finish). Although not my first choice for alloys, I seem to like them after install. These are 16 x 8J so create a negative offset. With the wider footprint the Thar really feels good to drive. On the downside, more dirt in the sides of the Thar - can't have everything. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.
Quite a long list of modifications
Your Thar is looking awesome
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 16:05   #201
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for sharing the images. The negative offset adds a lot of poise and character to your Thar.

It's a tempting choice, I'm torn between a silver alloy to contrast the black color OR then go with a greyish option like yours.

Do the tyres touch the body during u turns or sharp turns?

Thanks

Kundan.
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 16:55   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the images. The negative offset adds a lot of poise and character to your Thar.

It's a tempting choice, I'm torn between a silver alloy to contrast the black color OR then go with a greyish option like yours.

Do the tyres touch the body during u turns or sharp turns?

Thanks

Kundan.
No, the tires do not touch the body at any point in time. I would suggest trying the alloys (silver and grey) with the vehicle. I think sometimes the silver ones looks too blingy, but then that is me. You can also consider a all-black look.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 15:29   #203
BHPian

A couple of issues in this new version,
1. Maybe its just in my vehicle, but fuel needle keeps changing showing different quantity many times, i fill up the tank to the brim, reach home, on next startup it shows 3/4th tank full. Strange, this has happened in the past too.
2. NO factory fitted antenna, and there is none available aftermath too. The accessory shops have a flimsy internal antenna which does not catch any radio station. No external antenna available anywhere. I wonder why Mahindra cant put in a simple antenna, FM is a basic thing in a car stereo.
3. The manual says, shift on fly, well it does not. I tried shifting 4x4 on fly but a wierd noise like grinding metal started coming. Went to dealership and was told i have to come to a full stop before employing 4x4 high too, not just low. I tried and it worked fine. They said dont go by the book, mahindra says a lot of stuff in their manual but their cars or jeeps dont run that way.
maheep007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 15:56   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
1. Maybe its just in my vehicle, but fuel needle keeps changing showing different quantity many times, i fill up the tank to the brim, reach home, on next startup it shows 3/4th tank full. Strange, this has happened in the past too.

3. The manual says, shift on fly, well it does not. I tried shifting 4x4 on fly but a wierd noise like grinding metal started coming. Went to dealership and was told i have to come to a full stop before employing 4x4 high too, not just low. I tried and it worked fine. They said dont go by the book, mahindra says a lot of stuff in their manual but their cars or jeeps dont run that way.
Hello Maheep
1) I can confirm the fuel needle has done this trick in my Thar as well. Not always, but it has done it a couple of times. I am waiting for the next time it happens; will take a video and show it to the Mahindra guys. It settles to its accurate level after I turn off the engine and turn it back again.
2) Antenna, same issue, still hunting.
3) With shifting to 4H, I have not faced any grinding, so I think you need to get it sorted out. The knob on my shifter was inverted 90 degrees though, I had to rotate it to make sense out of it.

Last edited by johy : 29th November 2015 at 15:59.
Old 29th November 2015, 20:09   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Congrats bro. Your Thar is looking very neat and cool. Can you please put some close up pics of the front facing rear seats??
Old 1st December 2015, 21:18   #206
BHPian

Quote:
2. NO factory fitted antenna, and there is none available aftermath too. The accessory shops have a flimsy internal antenna which does not catch any radio station. No external antenna available anywhere. I wonder why Mahindra cant put in a simple antenna, FM is a basic thing in a car stereo.
Hi maheep

I'm facing the same issue with the fuel gauge. At least once a day it goes dead and then comes back on later.

I have an aftermarket antenna put behind the passenger side sun visor. I'll check the make and tell you tomorrow.
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:28   #207
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Johy,

thought i'd take your input on the choice of alloys. Since i am planning to stick with the stock tyres (235/70 R16) for now. What size alloy would you recommend?

thanks

Kundan
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:35   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Hi maheep

I'm facing the same issue with the fuel gauge. At least once a day it goes dead and then comes back on later.

I have an aftermarket antenna put behind the passenger side sun visor. I'll check the make and tell you tomorrow.
Hi, please tell me the brand and its efficacy, does it catch any FM station ? Internal antennas generally don't work as good as external ones, but then beggars can't be choosers.
About the fuel needle, I guess its a common thing in all new Thar's as along with you Jony too admitted to having this issue with his jeep, oh well, that's how Mahindra n Tata prove their engineering
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:38   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Maheep,

attached is a picture of the antenna i am using. it seems to be a chinese make but is serving the purpose. in Jammu i am getting 92.7 (the only channel) clearly.

cheers

Kundan
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-20151202_163027.jpg  

Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:42   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
8) IronMan 4x4 Nitro gas shockers (comfort oriented).
Thats a nice looking Jeep you have.I will not recommend the black magic,they do not perform upto mark as they are purely aesthetic. I will anyday recommend the Hella Rallye 3003 (which I am using as of now).
Btw the ones you are using now are the 3003 compacts.AFAIK there is no HElla 500 compact?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks