Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2016, 16:11   #316
BHPian

Re: To buy a used or a new Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karan - 10.5 on road is just too much, anyways, your call. I am PMing you the contact details. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Oh man. I knew it was too much cost for the vehicle I get. Mahindra kept the price saying its a cult vehicle and people who want it will pay for it. I'll really need to think about this.
And also a ban looming around, it could be too late.
Karan
Old 28th July 2016, 11:12   #317
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Dear All,

I have encountered water leak issues with my new Thar (Facelifted). This is being discussed in that main thread of Thar (Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review - Team-BHP). However, wanted to let people know in this thread as the problem is found in the facelifted version.

The leak is through the stitches and one more below the glove box. I am attaching the photos also.

I am in touch with ASC to replace the soft top. I just wanted to check with the Thar owners who has bought the 2015 facelifted ones.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-back-driver-final.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-back-codriver-final.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-below-glovebox-1-final.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-below-glovebox-2-final.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-below-glovebox-3-final.jpg  

aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 12:05   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Dear All,

I have encountered water leak issues with my new Thar ....
I am in touch with ASC to replace the soft top. I just wanted to check with the Thar owners who has bought the 2015 facelifted ones.
Hi there ,

Okai so I am not the only one. I have 2015 September Brought facelifted model. Water seeps in through stitching of the soft top exactly where you have shown. I brought a silicon sealant from Amazon for 350 rs and sealed those from the inside ( like seam proofing tents) and for the glovebox issue its the joint outside the windshield which has a horizontal layer of sealant thats the cilprit (ASS ripped off the old sealant and put in new one and its trouble free since then)
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 17:58   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

I have encountered water leak issues with my new Thar (Facelifted). This is being discussed in that main thread of Thar (Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review - Team-BHP). However, wanted to let people know in this thread as the problem is found in the facelifted version.

The leak is through the stitches and one more below the glove box. I am attaching the photos also.

Same problem in my Oct 2015 thar, same spots, along with faulty fuel gauge
Old 9th August 2016, 10:17   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Hi there ,

I brought a silicon sealant from Amazon for 350 rs and sealed those from the inside ( like seam proofing tents)
Dear Dr_MNC_SK,

Can you please share Amazon link for the sealant and some photos of seam line after the application?

ASC has pasted two-way tapes as a temp solution till they get soft top to replace.

Glovebox leak in my Thar was due to faulty windshield nozzle. ASC replaced the nozzle and applied sealant. With the leakage, the mats are gone need to be replaced. I am planning to do this when we remove dashboard to inspect any damage to electrical/mech problems.
Old 30th August 2016, 14:10   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Dr_MNC_SK,

Can you please share Amazon link for the sealant and some photos of seam .... the leakage, the mats are gone need to be replaced. I am planning to do this when we remove dashboard to inspect any damage to electrical/mech problems.
Hi there,

Apologies for the delay in reply. And still sorry for not having able to procure /post pictures of the seam line after application.
Had to redo some places again in the intervening rains but holds good for say 90 % rain unless heavy downpour for long durations (Typical Gangtok)
As for the link also I am unable to access Amazon from workplace (Cyberroam restrictions) hence recommend you to do a search on amazon.
Will definately post pictures and link next time.
Have you sorted out your leak?

Moreover I have another query for thar owners or someone who has some idea. Thar Crde has the fuel tank at the rear so heard there is no last K member on the chassis. So does this rule out possibility of a pintle hook tow? Although there are mounting holes on the last chassis bar for a pintle hook. Remember reading somewhere Thar Crde cannot be used to tow using a pintle hook arrangement. True?
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 11:04   #322
Senior - BHPian

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-th...-12204469.html

Looks mean but 19lakh ex-showroom / 9.6lakh (upgrade to existing car) for what are cosmetic updates isn't way too much?

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 31st August 2016 at 11:06.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 23:09   #323
BHPian

Mahindra gifts Thar to PV Sindhu and Sakshi Malik.

The company has honoured both the athletes for their historic performance at the Rio Olympics. PV Sindhu was felicitated with a silver coloured Thar for winning a silver medal while a red coloured Thar was given to Sakshi Malik for winning a bronze medal.

The Thars are equipped with customised bits like modified bumpers, bull bars and snorkels.

Source : http://overdrive.in/news/mahindra-gi...-sakshi-malik/
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-olympicwinners_picture.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 14:27   #324
BHPian

I have been reading up on the Thar on various forums since I have secretly been wanting to own one. I have not been able to do so because the family is vehemently opposed to the idea of having a "Jeep" parked in the garage, one which does not have worldly comforts for a normal human being. I ended buying a XUV W10. .

I am sure there are many who are sitting on the fence just like me. I see so many stories of enthusiasts buying a Thar and modifying it to add comforts and also enhancing it aesthetically and mechanically. The thought has forever been running in my head is, why can't Mahindra offer versions of the Thar that make it user friendly to the urban driver? For e.g. I see a lot of the popular upgrades around offroad tires/alloys, hardtops, forward facing seats, body enhancements etc. Why can't Mahindra offer a "Build your own Thar" option for buyers and let them choose different options? They can also offer built up versions out of box. I am sure there will be a good market for this and there will be many takers.
And yes, I am aware of Mahindra customizations but it is not exactly the same.
Hardcore enthusiasts, I beg your forgiveness if I have offended you but wanted to bring in the point of view of those sitting on the fence. Would love to get some view points on this forum.
shiva75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 15:11   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
I am sure there are many who are sitting on the fence just like me. I see so many stories of enthusiasts buying a Thar and modifying it to add comforts and also enhancing it aesthetically and mechanically. The thought has forever been running in my head is, why can't Mahindra offer versions of the Thar that make it user friendly to the urban driver? For e.g. I see a lot of the popular upgrades around offroad tires/alloys, hardtops, forward facing seats, body enhancements etc. Why can't Mahindra offer a "Build your own Thar" option for buyers and let them choose different options? They can also offer built up versions out of box. I am sure there will be a good market for this and there will be many takers.
And yes, I am aware of Mahindra customizations but it is not exactly the same.
Hardcore enthusiasts, I beg your forgiveness if I have offended you but wanted to bring in the point of view of those sitting on the fence. Would love to get some view points on this forum.
For all the fence sitters, there is one extremely useful way to get your derriere off the fence to make decision: hire a newish Thar for few days / few hundreds of km.

I did the same while on a long trip to Goa. And I am exactly clear now that Thar, for me, can only be a toy that pulls the heart strings of the child/teenager in me. I cannot imagine plonking 10 lakhs into purchasing Thar, unless I get bitten by the off-roading bug in future. Or perhaps when I start having enough money that I can throw a few lakhs here or there ...

[Customization cannot change the DNA of the vehicle]

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th September 2016 at 15:12.
alpha1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 16:18   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The 2015 Mahindra Thar CRDe Facelift has been launched in India at a price of Rs. 8.25 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

NOTE: This Pictorial Report was taken live on the 8th of September, 2015.
Can someone inform me about the size of the Maxxis Bighorn tyres as seen on this Thar?

I am planning to go for Bighorns retaining the stock rims on my Thar. My options are 245/75/16 and 265/70/16.
Old 20th September 2016, 16:28   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
Can someone inform me about the size of the Maxxis Bighorn tyres as seen on this Thar?

I am planning to go for Bighorns retaining the stock rims on my Thar. My options are 245/75/16 and 265/70/16.
The ones on this Thar are 245/75 R 16. Here's an image for reference. Look just below the "IS" in Maxxis.

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-27.jpg
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 09:15   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
For all the fence sitters, there is one extremely useful way to get your derriere off the fence to make decision: hire a newish Thar for few days / few hundreds of km.

I did the same while on a long trip to Goa. And I am exactly clear now that Thar, for me, can only be a toy that pulls the heart strings of the child/teenager in me. I cannot imagine plonking 10 lakhs into purchasing Thar, unless I get bitten by the off-roading bug in future. Or perhaps when I start having enough money that I can throw a few lakhs here or there ...

[Customization cannot change the DNA of the vehicle]
It is really difficult to get a test drive of the Thar in the NCR region. I think there is one dealer at the SDA area, but for GGN people, the Mahindra show rooms do not even host a Thar on the floor.

If not Goa, the other way is to find a benevolent Team BHP Thar Owner, and request a 1-2 km test drive.
Old 21st September 2016, 18:43   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
a test drive of the Thar ...

and request a 1-2 km test drive.
Nooooooo ...

a few km will tell nothing.
Trust me you need to spend hours and hundreds of km behind the beast to understand the salient points.

There are unique ones that you cannot know beforehand. And even if you are introduced to them, your excitement may cause you to overlook. But when you stay for extended hours and cover great distances - only then you will know whether you can really overlook or get irritated.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 14:32   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
I have been reading up on the Thar on various forums since I have secretly been wanting to own one. I have not been able to do so because the family is vehemently opposed to the idea of having a "Jeep" parked in the garage, one which does not have worldly comforts for a normal human being. I ended buying a XUV W10. . ......Hardcore enthusiasts, I beg your forgiveness if I have offended you but wanted to bring in the point of view of those sitting on the fence. Would love to get some view points on this forum.
Hello Shiva,

Sitting on a fence is difficult. See you ended up inside a cheetah now. Thar is a very comfortable vehicle. (Pause) By what standards. If you are looking for something like a W 10 XUV no way you are going to like it. But if you want to have a neat ride and can do without lumbar adjustment kind of stuffs and your heart says you want a Jeep you should have jumped into a Thar. (Especially now Wrangler is in a different $$ territory)
I was sitting on a fence a year ago and now 18000 km into a year old Thar and loving every bit (and the niggles also) honestly.

"Live comes once. live it to the fullest."
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-comp.jpg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks