Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2017, 04:17   #331
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

Looks mean but 19lakh ex-showroom / 9.6lakh (upgrade to existing car) for what are cosmetic updates isn't way too much?
Mahindra now offers a hardtop as well. Customers willing to add this hard top will have to shell out an extra INR 1.5 lakh over the INR 9.6 lakh that the Daybreak Edition kit costs. The cost is eyewatering to say the least.
The Jeep looks awesome though.

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-mahindrathardaybreakeditionhardtop3.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-mahindrathardaybreakeditionhardtop4.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-mahindrathardaybreakeditionhardtop2.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-mahindrathardaybreakeditionhardtop1.jpg
PraNeel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 01:09   #332
BHPian

How easy is it to install the MLD (Mechanical Locking Differential) in the previous generation (2011 model) Mahindra Thar? Will it be easier and cheaper to install it from Mahindra ASC or buy it from an Eaton distributor?

If I were to do a rear differential swap with a new Thar CRDe to get the diff locker, how would it work out and what all needs to be changed?
Old 20th February 2017, 12:38   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
How easy is it to install the MLD (Mechanical Locking Differential) in the previous generation (2011 model) Mahindra Thar?
Rear axle for 2011 model and current model Thar is the same. It will be cheaper to buy from Eaton distributor. In Bangalore, Ironman dealer is the same dealer for Eaton. He will install it for you. Ping me for his contact details.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 20:56   #334
BHPian

Hi Mods,

Not sure if this is the right thread.
I wanted to buy a thar to get feel of it. Later I could resell when the excitement levels come down. I'm not an off-roader or a car enthusiast but with team bhp portal and immense knowledge shared here keep trying to learn.

I tried olx etc and found 1995 model thar with 4x4 available in range of 2 to 2 . 5 lakhs. One of them even has maxi tire and says full rework done on vehicle. Is it worth to pay such a price for these vehicles. There is no straight way to find how much these vehicles have run.

I'm from Bangalore and intend to get some guidance from you.

Appreciate guidance.
Old 27th July 2017, 21:11   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevKalra View Post
Hi Mods,

Not sure if this is the right thread.
I wanted to buy a thar to get feel of it. Later I could resell when the excitement levels come down. I'm not an off-roader or a car enthusiast but with team bhp portal and immense knowledge shared here keep trying to learn.

I tried olx etc and found 1995 model thar with 4x4 available in range of 2 to 2 . 5 lakhs. One of them even has maxi tire and says full rework done on vehicle. Is it worth to pay such a price for these vehicles. There is no straight way to find how much these vehicles have run.

I'm from Bangalore and intend to get some guidance from you.

Appreciate guidance.
Dear Sanjeev,
Thar wasn't introduced till late 2010-2011.
The one you have found in OLX must be a 540 made to look like a Thar.
If you do not have access to a reliable Jeep mechanic or a friend who has good experience with older Jeeps, there is a good chance of ending up with a lemon.
If you are ready to stretch your budget, please look for a well maintained 2012+ Thar.
You can check with Manas if he still has his Thar. It was available for sale.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post4227703
To be honest, nothing better than buying a vehicle/Jeep from a Bhpian.
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 27th July 2017 at 21:12.
Old 27th July 2017, 21:31   #336
BHPian

Thanks a lot Deepak. I have sent message to manasm.
This jeep area is totally new to me so seeking help.

Are these older Mahindra jeeps no good? even if these are 4x4?
Old 28th July 2017, 10:59   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The older Mahindra Jeeps are far more simple compared to the Thar and hence, far more easy to repair.
But it is after all a 20+ year old vehicle which would have generally been through heavy use. Hence, would need loads of TLC.
starter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 12:26   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Older ones are absolutely crude. Drive both back to back and you will know what I mean. Either way 2.25 is way too much to pay for 1995 model. If you want an older jeep, please stick to post 2002 ex army mm550s which can be had for the about the same price. pre 2000 models go for 2 and below.
Old 29th July 2017, 13:07   #339
BHPian

Thanks for the advice. It helps.
Saw a good looking jeep online. Sharing pics for reference. Need to go and check its performance. Its 1995 model. The seller is quoting 2.5 lakhs. Has maxi tires and redid seats also, along with other overhaul work when they had bought it. As per him 4x4 is in working condition. Any further guidance or advise would be helpful. 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501313754.466621.jpg2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501313767.745636.jpg2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501313798.104232.jpg2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501313479.892753.jpg2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501313498.737000.jpg

Thanks
Sanjeev
SanjeevKalra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 17:49   #340
BHPian

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask such a question but I am planning to buy a Thar in the near future and it is going to be my first car. My concern is apart from its off road capabilities how practical is it on a day-to-day basis as a regular four wheeler. Looking for advice from our existing thar owners. Thanks in advance.
Old 8th September 2017, 18:34   #341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakash1412 View Post
My concern is apart from its off road capabilities how practical is it on a day-to-day basis as a regular four wheeler. Looking for advice from our existing thar owners. Thanks in advance.
What exactly are you concern? Driving, comfort and generic usage? Or practicality? Carry people, luggage, lockable cabin?

I have had one for 2 years, and driving, maintaining etc it is one of the best option out there. Ok let me try to list few layman pro's and con's as a primary and only vehicle.

Pro's
Easy of use, rather can afford careless usage, amazing road presence
Reasonable comfort, especially the new ones with better seats, dash etc
Cheap maintanence
Powerful enough and capable to tackle any broken roads, minor flooding that happen during monsoon etc
Can carry 6 to 7 if need be and decent luggage capability

Con's
Lack of any safety features
Lack of lockable cabin, unless you invest on hard top which will cost you a lakh
Rear seats are side facing and if you make it front facing, will be difficult to access or you have to do some major surgery and get foldable seats done
Not easy on old folks
Comfort wise a regular scorpio is far better

Hope this helps.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 18:36   #342
BHPian

Quote:
........My concern is apart from its off road capabilities how practical is it on a day-to-day basis as a regular four wheeler. Looking for advice from our existing thar owners. Thanks in advance.
Whilst I don't own Thar as yet, I understand after reading various threads on this forum, that it can be used as a regular four wheeler, albeit with some mods.

I have used the phrase 'as yet' because I too plan to buy the Thar a my regular vehicle.

I had done a test drive, lined up the funds and convinced my better half. And then M&M announced that a next gen Thar was in the pipeline.

Thought I would wit but nearly six months have elapsed and not a whimper about the next gen Thar. No rumors, no leaks, no spy pics...absolutely nothing.

In any case, if you decide to go ahead and purchase the current version of the Thar, I am sure that you will be able to connect with the 'experts' who will help you carry out the mods.
Zezé is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 18:59   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask such a question but I am planning to buy a Thar in the near future and it is going to be my first car. My concern is apart from its off road capabilities how practical is it on a day-to-day basis as a regular four wheeler. Looking for advice from our existing thar owners. Thanks in advance.
It can very well be used as a daily office goer without issues. Does wonderful job while also giving one of the best street presences out there.

Since its going to be your first car, what you need to evaluate is the very vital Indian "what will the people say" factor. You should have a crystal clear idea about what you are buying and what the package is, when your peers brag about the 8 inch IPS touch screens with GPS, bluetooth, auto climate control, ABS, airbags, auto wipers and projector lamps. You'll have none of these.

If you'll still smile to yourself saying yeah well, but I have a THAR, then make it your first car without worries.

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th September 2017 at 19:01.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 23:43   #344
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your inputs. This has cleared a lot of my doubts.
Old 28th May 2018, 15:47   #345

Hi Everyone

What is the general reliability of the Thar? Especially the 2.5 CRDe engine?

I am considering one but am a little worried about the longevity of a Mahindra vehicle compared to a Suzuki Jimny.

On my list of 2 door 4x4s is the Jimny and the Thar.

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks