Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 14:54   #91
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe facelift launched at Rs. 8.03 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yes do take the test drive before booking. Congratulation on the home department approval.

6'4'' well built & fitting in - Good News

The Center mismatch problem of the Steering was not w.r.t the Instrumentation and dials but the Seat + Steering and Pedals - So do recheck that while taking the test drive.

The Bumpers do look a lot like the current Wrangler Bumpers in shape though I guess not in quality, you might want to keep them.

I guess the Vehicle will demand another 75k-1L of customization for the Music System plus Tyres and Rims if one wishes to get it near to the one in the video.

Suggest you do check out the Scorpio S4 4X4 as well. But then I guess if real off road trips are planned often or even once a year then Thar is the only option.
The Center mismatch was not too evident when I sat and was consciously looking for it. But will check again during the TD.

I am setting aside about 1L for customizations. The Music system is a question since the dash has the panel with the "THAR" branding which is supposed to be removed to fit the 2DIN. However this curves back and to the top. Not sure if this means a specific version of the 2DIN will need to be selected or the panel replaced with a new one that has the slots for the 2DIN. The salesman or the accessory shop in Sireesh were unable to answer this question.

Any idea where I can get good quality rear seats fitted in Bangalore ? I would also want the driver seat pushed back a couple of inches, just to try and see if it is more comfortable than factory.

Scorpio is what my wife drives. Although its a 2WD/Automatic version. The Thar will probably never be used off-road. But could not resist the looks of the Jeep. Although the personality of the THAR might just pull us all off-road at some point of time or the other.
Old 27th July 2015, 15:05   #92
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishnanm View Post
I am setting aside about 1L for customizations. The Music system is a question since the dash has the panel with the "THAR" branding which is supposed to be removed to fit the 2DIN. However this curves back and to the top. Not sure if this means a specific version of the 2DIN will need to be selected or the panel replaced with a new one that has the slots for the 2DIN. The salesman or the accessory shop in Sireesh were unable to answer this question.
Yes that is something I too would like an answer to. I have been scratching my head over the same question due to the curved part on the top and frankly the way Thar is written it looks good as it is, but obviously has to go.

The only solutions are:

1) M&M provides a top curved panel that replaces the whole 2Din plus curved part with only the top curved part. This they should supply with the vehicle.
2) The Customers get the top part of the existing panel cut off by the installer and reuse that curved portion.

Wonder if they have supplied any built in Speaker wiring. Would be great if they have.
Old 27th July 2015, 15:13   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Yes that is something I too would like an answer to.

Wonder if they have supplied any built in Speaker wiring. Would be great if they have.
I will check on this again when I go for the TD. Although I would be pleasantly surprised if they have the speaker wires. And more so if the sales guys know about it.
Old 27th July 2015, 16:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Visited the Sireesh Auto to take a look at the new Thar that is showcased there.

Last but not the least, with the facelift, the better half was sold without me having had to do any convincing at all. So going ahead with the plunge.
Congrats on the decision to book the Thar. Which branch of Sireesh is this? Also can you pls post the on-road price?

Quote:
The Music system is a question since the dash has the panel with the "THAR" branding which is supposed to be removed to fit the 2DIN. The salesman or the accessory shop in Sireesh were unable to answer this question.
As per a review I read on Motorbeam, there is an accessory 2DIN that will be sold, hence it may be better to chase the accessory salesman for info on the same. (Source of info : http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/07/car...-drive-review/)
Old 27th July 2015, 19:57   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Congrats on the decision to book the Thar. Which branch of Sireesh is this? Also can you pls post the on-road price?
Thanks. This is Sireesh Auto, Hosur Road, Bangalore. Attaching the price quotation that I got from them.

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-screen-shot-20150727-7.53.01-pm.png
harikrishnanm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 20:42   #96
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Ive taken my safari on some pretty extreme off road trails but never has my stereo rattled!

As re. safety of soft tops, that argument should also extend to mini coopers, Audi A3 convertible, r8 convertible, Rolls royce et al. these cars are also sold in India and are driven around in cities so should be as susceptible to theft of stereos as thar.
Constant rattles has been a bane with the Safari! Still cant compare a Safari which comes with a good suspension to a barebone jeep.

Again you are comparing vehicles from a uber Luxury segment with the barebones Thar. A funky looking stereo should not be among the top of the wishlists for the Thar. There are many other potential features that should make it to the list.

Quote:
1) Open top vehicle in India do have expensive electronics.
2) A well designed vehicle would not have the 2 din Deck unit rattle
3) The Jeep Wrangler which meets a similar aspiration and role in the USA and other western markets does have all the bells and whistles. Let us not compare the prices in India due to CBU level taxes.
4) The way to make a vehicle capable of going in water is not to simply do away with all the electronics.
5) How many (5%?) of the Thars customers would actually take it through Deep Waters?
6) Or they could have made full removal of the deck a 5 hr job through internal hard to reach locks.
7) Why just a Deck in an open top vehicle one can steal the steering, the AC Blower, the seats itself and a lot more and sell them of in the Chor Bazzar the same way as a Music / Deck.
8) If you park in the wrong places the doers will steal the wheels of your car itself and leave it standing on bricks and in the right place nothing will be touched.
9) Why just the Deck wish it had Power Windows. A Deck can be added even later but Power Windows are best factory fitted.
10) Why go far does the Scorpio not have both a S4 & a S10 variant in 4X4 form i.e. with and without Gizmos as the customer would want?
1) Yes & those are "uber expensive" soft tops, conceived & developed at hi-tech centres.
2) Well Thar sadly is not that "well designed" to begin with.
3) That's what I said, lets not compare the expensive Wrangler to the Thar here. Another member was making the comparisons.
4) MM fought hard for Electronics to work properly on a closed body XUV.
5) Well I cant say what % of consumers would take the Thar ofroading or through water but when the vehicle is built for the purpose, it should be ready for it 24x7. So that loaded electronics are the last thing on a consumers mind before attempting such obstacles.
6) Don't know why the big hoopla about a deck! 85% of serious mud-pluggers would have more important things on the list to fulfill than just a funky deck.
7) Because a deck is not an important ingredient. One can't drive without a steering or a seat or tyres. But can easily do without a funky/gimmicky deck. & thats the easiest thing to remove, is small so easy to conceal by the thieves. Take a data of most commonly stolen items from vehicles, I bet deck would be higher on the list than the other things you pointed out.
8) I do not agree with that point even a wee bit. Things like decks etc are looted from busy parking places in broad day light. Many of the Thars consumers live in Cities outskirts, far flung areas, etc. They may not be having proper parking spaces.
9) I agree Power Windows is a good feature to have & should make it to the features list. But for two windows, atleast im ok if it doesnt.
10) A Scorpio is a sealed body vehicle, can't be compared with Thar. Also using your same logic, how many Scorpio owners take it the hardcore of-roading task!

Leave the tech. jargon aside, think of it logically. A typical Thars consumer is an aam admi, a middle class man not a crorepati owner of some funky luxury soft top, I bet he worries more about his each penny spent more than the corepati driving an uber luxury car. I also think he won't like loosing a costly deck of his vehicle to a theft. Or he won't like if he's made to pay ~50K extra for the company to fit in a mere funky deck. Also would someone leave his luggage or a bag or a laptop or a cellphone in a soft top Thar ? These things are still relatively safer in a closed hard top vehicle. Therefore its a non-contest.

We could agree or disagree on many points here but the fact remains Mahindra wouldnt spend on R&D to fit in a funky Deck inside the Thar & if they do, it would take the prices further up. I still think a typical Thar consumer won't bother much about a funky deck inside. If someones really keen, aftermarket fitments galore, no sweat!

Last edited by AWD : 27th July 2015 at 20:43.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 00:22   #97
BHPian

I have been a fan of Mahindra products since I bought my Scorpio Vlx in 08 . Out of my ownership experience (with the right service center, warranty and insurance) I grew so confident that I proclaim that " One will have to bang the scorpio against a wall , but not once ,to destroy it" .

What has been surprising with Thar from Day 1 has been the relatively small warranty being offered by Mahindra. A product with an engine in use for more than a decade and with the least amount of electronics in any mahindra non commercial vehicles ,I wonder what makes mahindra so less confident about the product .

Or is it that the buyers are so lost relating it to the likes of "The Jeep" , to care for it during the purchase?

Few fuel saving tips on the official website appears a little less scientific to me,which are as follows:-
Rolling in neutral saves 15-20 cc of fuel. Ensure perfect wheel balance and you can cover up to 20% of your distance in neutral.
Remove the 3rd row to reduce fuel usage.
When stuck in traffic, turn off the engine and switch on the car deck. That way you can listen to music while conserving fuel.

Anyways , the upgrades are worth the increase in price. Lets thank Mahindra for making it easier to convince the family members for the Thar.
Old 28th July 2015, 14:54   #98
BHPian

Why so much negativity about the new THAR.
The interior is much welcomed. And as for the bumper, check the offroading community, most people have stingers or other proper of road bumpers.
I don't own a jeep yet but I was waiting for such a change in the interiors, which can atleast offer a bare basic comfort level.
The price certainly is a bit on the higher, but there is no proper 4x4 below 10L.
M&M should have put ABS with on/off switch

Overall I'm satisfied with the interior transformation. All black would have looked even better.
v_safari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 18:33   #99
BHPian

Greetings!

Have been voraciously following this thread for quite some time and was eagerly waiting for the release of the new Thar and off course followed by its Ownership review.

I almost have made up my mind to take the plunge to book the Thar. Meanwhile I have been making arrangments to sell off my Scorpio Mhawk SLE 2009. I am contemplating for S4 4wd too but the Thar has possesed me completely.

I have seen mixed responses for the changes in the new Thar (all well justified).

I must admit my eagerness is not well satiated by the changes done especially the plastic bumpers (does have a objective though!) . Wish M&M provided ABS in the new Thar and really not sure if they have used old Rubber bushings or Polyurethane bushings (hope it is polyurethane ones). Most welcome change and blessing in disguise for me is the new Dashboard look and Auto Diff lock (the changes would have cost me more if I had to separately install it.

Also I am confused with the specs. if the compare the turning radius with old thar looks it has been increased from 5.25 to 5.75. Hope this findings are incorrect gather the info from New thar webpage and handouts from of Old thar from the dealer.

Lastly, after enquiry with the dealer, found that there isnt any form of discount offered by M&M or from the dealer not even loyalty bonus. Look forward for a Ownership review of the New Thar.

Has any one booked the new Thar in Greater Mumbai?
Old 2nd August 2015, 22:02   #100
XD2
BHPian

A little off topic, but here's a fun fact : not only has Mahindra been bumping up the cost of the Thar with each succession, but the price of service has been going up as well. I have a 2012 Thar - In 2013 I paid Rs.2000 as paid-service charge which went upto Rs.2250 in 2014 and yesterday it showed up as Rs.2500.
XD2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 22:13   #101
Team-BHP Support

Had a chance to check out the new thar (parked), the dash does look nice and functional and totally out of place in that beige. Wish it was black. Seats seems to have been worked upon rather than a new one all together. Most interesting and worthwhile mod seems to be the sturdy rear shackles though! Price increase well.. if creta can sell at 18 L why not a lakh more on the Thar
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 22:52   #102
BHPian

I saw the Thar in Mahindra showroom today. It had a shoddy body line which made me feel dents were present above the front wheel arch. Upon a closer look, I could figure that it was the spot welding beneath, exposed as bumps on the body. I could figure similar welding spot bumps elsewhere as well. Sad to see the quality taking a hit here
Old 22nd August 2015, 11:08   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. This is Sireesh Auto, Hosur Road, Bangalore. Attaching the price quotation that I got from them.

Attachment 1396164
Hmm, 70K additional cost of accessories.
Can you share the pics of your re-done THAR.

I'm contemplating, but then also hearing news on TUV300 as well as Honda B-RV.

Regards,
Manish
Old 31st August 2015, 09:58   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
Can you share the pics of your re-done THAR.
I have not placed the booking for the Thar.
There have been some developments and I am moving to Mumbai. Therefore I have decided not to buy the Thar from Bangalore.

Will pick this up when I'm settled in Mumbai.
Old 8th September 2015, 20:02   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I dont know where to even begin . so by your argument, M&M, instead of providing a flush fit stereo to eliminate vibes, should not provide one at all? Ive taken my safari on some pretty extreme off road trails but never has my stereo rattled!

As re. safety of soft tops, that argument should also extend to mini coopers, Audi A3 convertible, r8 convertible, Rolls royce et al. these cars are also sold in India and are driven around in cities so should be as susceptible to theft of stereos as thar.
I don't think even the most experienced thieves would dare to touch a Rolls Royce. It would be very hard to figure out how to steal an Audio system. Also, these high end cars have really thick roof tops,not like an auto rickshaw.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks