Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2015, 14:48   #226

Newbie Jeeper in Bangalore

Hi, I have been reading through the 4x4 posts on TBHP for a long time and finally realized I just had to have a jeep. So off I went and got myself a 2015 Mahindra Thar 4x4. And got Prad metal bumpers installed. Still on H/T tyres but planning to move to A/T soon.

Also took it out for a bit through some sand and stones but nothing to write home about.

I have read through a lot of advanced OTRs around Bangalore but nothing that would suit a first time Jeeper. Are there other first timers around who would like to join in and start pushing things. Would also love accompanying some of the senior jeepers around here for a dash across rocks.
The Iceman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 20:40   #227
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Maheep,

sorry for the late reply, its been a hectic week.

I wouldnt recommend this antenna any-more . I've been in Delhi and the reception is very poor. Lot of static heard over the radio.

I am scouting the market here for a better option, will share details if i find one.

cheers

Kundan
Ha ha too late, i already bought it, its not too great, but still not too bad, catches 10-12 radio stations, some good some average reception. However do update me if you find something better.
Old 15th December 2015, 20:45   #228
BHPian

Maheep for the first 1000 kms i didnt go over 90kmph or 3000 rpms, its my personal thumb rule for all vehicles. On my recent drive from Jammu to Delhi i was cruising at 120 kmph on certain stretches and it felt right.[/quote]
At 120, wasn't the canopy rattling n flapping noise too deafening? Mine screams beyond 80 like crazy. You are more careful driver, i did cross 100 mark but never 3000 rpm.
Old 16th December 2015, 09:46   #229
BHPian

Re: Newbie Jeeper in Bangalore

Count me in for future off-road meets and even i am a newbie.
Though off road meets are happening in bangalore it will not be made public .
i guess only way to meet people are in off-road events.
Old 17th December 2015, 05:19   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
Hi, I have been reading through the 4x4 posts on TBHP ...........
.....I have read through a lot of advanced OTRs around Bangalore but nothing that would suit a first time Jeeper. Are there other first timers around who would like to join in and start pushing things. Would also love accompanying some of the senior jeepers around here for a dash across rocks.
Hi Iceman, Pm me if you want to join us for some mild to moderate offroading in and around Bangalore. We have a small group called Jeepers of Bangalore
Old 20th December 2015, 17:23   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Maheep for the first 1000 kms i didnt go over 90kmph or 3000 rpms, its my personal thumb rule for all vehicles. On my recent drive from Jammu to Delhi i was cruising at 120 kmph on certain stretches and it felt right.
At 120, wasn't the canopy rattling n flapping noise too deafening? Mine screams beyond 80 like crazy. You are more careful driver, i did cross 100 mark but never 3000 rpm.[/quote]

Yes the noise is really bad, the music system has to be cranked up to drown the flapping.

I'm looking at hardtop options already. Probably visiting Performance Auto in Noida this week. I like their design a lot but am wary about cutting the A & B pillars which they do.

What are you thoughts on the available hardtops in the market.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:18   #232

Apologies for the delay in reply - busy at the end of the year. Couple of (not so good) photos here. The back seat is installed such that there is about 6-7 inches gap from the back seat to the canopy. There is enough space to access the seat - no need to fold up the side bench. I have to add a seat belt for this rear seat, planning to add SA roll bar next year and attach the seat belt to the bar.

I recently went on an hour's with 4 people (one on the side bench and one on the rear seat) and folks said that it was fine - no discomfort.

Cheers,
Swapnesh
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-img_20151218_081800047.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-img_20151218_081640585.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-thar.jpg  

swapnesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:57   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
Hi, I have been reading through the 4x4 posts on TBHP for a long time and finally realized I just had to have a jeep. So off I went and got myself a 2015 Mahindra Thar 4x4. And got Prad metal bumpers installed. Still on H/T tyres but planning to move to A/T soon.
Lovely Jeep..! Had a small question: Were not those headlight covers discontinued in the 2015 model. Or you got those installed separately.
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:55   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Count me in for future off-road meets and even i am a newbie.
Though off road meets are happening in bangalore it will not be made public .
i guess only way to meet people are in off-road events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Hi Iceman, Pm me if you want to join us for some mild to moderate offroading in and around Bangalore. We have a small group called Jeepers of Bangalore
Thanks Raj and Kris.

Will PM you guys. Still not enough karma to send out PMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Lovely Jeep..! Had a small question: Were not those headlight covers discontinued in the 2015 model. Or you got those installed separately.
The headlight grills are an aftermarket thing. Though I got them included as part of the purchase price from the dealership itself.
The Iceman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 17:28   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Hi folks,...
[*]Mods planned: Hard top, Ironman 4x4 dampers for rear (with existing leaf springs).
Hi Johy i checked out a few hard tops in Delhi. right now my choices are between the PA, Noida HT & Azaad 4x4 top. The Hyderabad HT i havent seen in person yet. The PA HT is really nice and their relationship with M&M inspires confidence but they need to cut a bit of the A&B bars. What are your thoughts on this ?

BD sir would appreciate your input on this chopping of the pillars situation. Does it compromise the vehicle in anyway (safety)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Congratulations for the Thar....
How practical do you think the Thar would be for long drives (read 1000Km+)?
Hi rakesh, i drove from Jammu to Delhi (650 kms) recently and have to admit was surprised how comfortable the drive was. The Thar sticks to the ground and feels planted with very less body roll. Over bumps and those annoying speed rumblers you do feel jarred. The biggest problem is the loud flapping from the soft top, hence the market research on HT options as mentioned above. The noise reduces if you keep the windows slightly down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Thanks for those images. The Jeep looks absolutely fabulous in black and echos the ethos and image of an all terrain drive. Keep us updated on the HT modifications, once you have narrowed down on a build...!
Hi Asingh, as i mentioned above the choices are PA Noida, Azad 4x4 and Hyderabad HT. PA Noida leading the race but my apprehension is about getting the A & B pillars slightly cut (2 inches). Though Mr Poddy has assured me it has no impact on the load bearing of the pillars. Your thoughts on this matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ksingh544 - no, don't reduce. The sidewall will flex more, you will lose out on handling in a big way. Instead, go to 33psi for one month, then go to 34psi for one month, then come back to 32psi for one month and you will get your own best reading from the handling, general cornering, single lane change, double lane change, steering-crispness response / lag-index and ride comfort point of view. ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
BD sir your dhatings are being tried and into month 2 of the vehicle, i think 32 PSI is the way to go. I am getting additional bounce at 34 PSI. With 32 PSI the Thar feels planted & firm. Also sir your thoughts on the PA, Noida Hardtop. I am bit apprehensive about getting the A & B pillars cut, do you think it will have any impact. Thanks !
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 18:07   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
At 120, wasn't the canopy rattling n flapping noise too deafening? Mine screams beyond 80 like crazy. You are more careful driver, i did cross 100 mark but never 3000 rpm.
Yes the noise is really bad, the music system has to be cranked up to drown the flapping.

I'm looking at hardtop options already. Probably visiting Performance Auto in Noida this week. I like their design a lot but am wary about cutting the A & B pillars which they do.

What are you thoughts on the available hardtops in the market.[/quote]

I too thinking on it, the hard top. Saw a couple beautifully modified hard tops, coveres with company factory fabric. End result was the jeep doesn't even like hard top. Isn't it perfect, I love the soft top look, and now hard top with soft top look. And the guy who does it, isn't too far too. Moga is the place. I'm putting up a pic or 2 so u can see. If u want I'll give u his number too. I'm might get it done, he's asking around 32k for it. Not bad
Old 24th December 2015, 18:09   #237
BHPian

Something wrong... Can't upload pictures
Old 24th December 2015, 18:16   #238
BHPian

I too thinking on it, the hard top. Saw a couple beautifully modified hard tops, coveres with company factory fabric. End result was the jeep doesn't even like hard top. Isn't it perfect, I love the soft top look, and now hard top with soft top look. And the guy who does it, isn't too far too. Moga is the place. I'm putting up a pic or 2 so u can see. If u want I'll give u his number too. I'm might get it done, he's asking around 32k for it. Not bad[/quote]

I think i've seen one of these on the forum ( Dilsher in Amritsar) has had his done from Moga.

I am PMing you my cell number could you whatsapp the pics to me. I am also a big fan of retaining the soft top look.

cheers

Kundan
Old 24th December 2015, 19:39   #239
Senior - BHPian

What you guys are talking of is a semi hard top from Moga.
And i would recommend that over a Hard top, because original Soft top look is retained,
performs as good as a Hard top when it comes to noise insulation at half the cost (30K), and any after market hard top,
if not welded to the body is prone to creaks and leaks.
I have been researching on it since more than a year now and still sticking to soft top, since i dont use the thar often.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 24th December 2015 at 19:41.
Old 24th December 2015, 20:19   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What you guys are talking of is a semi hard top from Moga.
And i would recommend that over a Hard top, because original Soft top look is retained,
performs as good as a Hard top when it comes to noise insulation at half the cost (30K), and any after market hard top,
if not welded to the body is prone to creaks and leaks.
I have been researching on it since more than a year now and still sticking to soft top, since i dont use the thar often.
Its not welded to the body as per say, bolted on by nuts n bolts. I asked him personally on phone, takes 3 days for the job. Toughned Glass is fitted on where the see through plastic is on soft top. Looks promising, I must say.

Most Viewed