Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2015, 03:53   #166

Re: Skoda Octavia gets a new "Style Plus" variant; Anniversary Edition launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Android auto does not seem to be available in India. Wondering how to use mirror link without that.
Hi, I just got my Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Anniversary Edition delivered on Thursday 12-Nov-2015 .

I have a Google Nexus 5 phone (marshmallow) and I was struggling with the SmartLink Mobile Connectivity. It detects my phone and then gets disconnected.

So finally made it work and if anyone of you would like to use Android Auto then please follow the steps below:

1. Get an android phone running android 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
Note: Android Auto is designed to work with Android phones running 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
For more information, check out support.google.com/androidauto

2. Now you need to install Android Auto software on your phone and the issue is you cannot install from the Google Play store as it is not available. If you search the link and still try to install you will get a message "This item isn't available in your country".

There is a work around and that is to set your phone in developer mode and use a site as apkmirror to download Android auto. Install the APK and keep it ready.
Warning: Please run a scan on the apk file and make sure it is free from viruses. Since it is a 3rd party link and not from Google Play store.

3. Need an USB cable of your phone.

4. Now connect the USB cable to your android phone and the other end to the USB slot in your car.

5. From the Head Unit of your car click on Menu and select SmartLink.

6. From your phone allow permission and you are set.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th November 2015 at 11:24. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
sarbashishb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 16:33   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbashishb View Post
Hi, I just got my Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Anniversary Edition delivered on Thursday 12-Nov-2015 .

So finally made it work and if anyone of you would like to use Android Auto then please follow the steps below:

1. Get an android phone running android 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
Note: Android Auto is designed to work with Android phones running 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
For more information, check out support.google.com/androidauto

2. Now you need to install Android Auto software on your phone and the issue is you cannot install from the Google Play store as it is not available. If you search the link and still try to install you will get a message "This item isn't available in your country".

There is a work around and that is to set your phone in developer mode and use a site as apkmirror to download Android auto. Install the APK and keep it ready.
Warning: Please run a scan on the apk file and make sure it is free from viruses. Since it is a 3rd party link and not from Google Play store.
Thanks for letting us know. However, I had got it to work long back. Alternatively, you can download hola app and through it download android auto and install it.
Old 15th November 2015, 20:28   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Gents, please post pictures of your cars and a ownership thread if you have the time and the enthusiasm.

Have already downloaded Android Auto on my Note 4 & 10.1 but yet to choose between the Octavia and the incoming Superb ;-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th November 2015 at 20:30. Reason: Enthu
Old 18th November 2015, 17:18   #169
BHPian

Got the car back yesterday after O2 sensor replacement. Initially date committed was 25th Nov, but it looks like they added one week extra just to avoid me following up every now and then. I am hoping that the problem is solved and nothing else comes up.

There is a button "VOICE" on the bolero system and on the steering. Is there any function for this?. When i press it, it says voice commands not available. If so why provide two buttons for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Gents, please post pictures of your cars and a ownership thread if you have the time and the enthusiasm.

Have already downloaded Android Auto on my Note 4 & 10.1 but yet to choose between the Octavia and the incoming Superb ;-)
Definitely Superb is more quality materials and upmarket than Octavia. For the last one month in my use its a pretty good car, but a little too long and makes sense if you are chauffeur driven some times at least to make use of that rear seat. In my parking lot, its nose was coming out by almost a feet.
Old 24th November 2015, 02:53   #170
BHPian

A noob question : what's the difference between the anniversary edition and style plus variant?
Old 24th November 2015, 06:59   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
A noob question : what's the difference between the anniversary edition and style plus variant?
Identical to each other. Originally introduced as a limited 'Anniversary' edition but now permanently established as the 'Style Plus'.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 20:20   #172
BHPian

To be quiet honest - dsg failure and niggles at this price point is quiet scary.

But are there any of such issues faced by anyone with a diesel variant? Considering it's a wet 6 speed gearbox - are the problems still there?

Also would like to know how is the ride quality of the diesel car compared to the petrol one? Strictly need to know about the rear bench
Old 24th November 2015, 21:19   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also would like to know how is the ride quality of the diesel car compared to the petrol one? Strictly need to know about the rear bench

Frankly I would once again steer you away from the Octavia. If you want diesel, dsg and good rear bench comfort, go for the Jetta. If you just want a diesel and a good rear bench, go for the Corolla.

However if the Skoda bug has bitten you and you're all smitten by the looks of the Octy like I was, then you should personally test drive the TSI and TDI both. You will notice that the TSI rides much more smoothly over bumps because of the superior suspension. But you'll be blown away by how the Jetta rides on bad roads! It simply glides.

Test drive all options, shouldn't take more than 3 hours on a Sunday if planned in advance. Cheers!
Old 25th November 2015, 00:15   #174
BHPian

Well the octy seems to be the choice because of the following reasons

1. Daily usage close to 100 kms. Hence, diesel
2. Most of the commute on highway. Hence, find Corolla diesel underpowered and under equipped in terms of safety
3. Absolutely devastating a.s.s. Of Volkswagen in Indore. Hence, Jetta is out
4. Again, because of highway run- Elantra is out because of horrible handling
5. Dad hates SUVs - and since he is the primary user - all the SUVs are not considered
6. Innova - comfortable and practice but since the new one is few months away - not sure whether I would want to wait for that long. Plus no doubt a good car, but only good if driven by someone else all the time. Can't consider taking it for night outs. Also size is a deterrent - hence not considering the bigger superb.
7. Last but not the least - in 5 years with more than 1,60,000 kms - the Laura surprisingly didn't cause any trouble other than the AC compressor going kaput twice. Both the times changed under warranty. Only yesterday did the alternator fail once - making the car stop for the first time on road.

Not looking for a bigger brand for various reasons like - cost of maintenance is huge, unnecessary bling value, no VFM, and most importantly- dad is not comfortable using a big brand

Considering all these points this seems to be the only choice
Old 25th November 2015, 00:33   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the octy seems to be the choice because of the following reasons

1. Daily usage close to 100 kms. Hence, diesel

With the diesel Octavia you're largely safe. But if you can make the compromise, go for the MT. The refreshed Octavia should be here in June-July 2016, so if you could wait, that will be great. Only major thing you miss out in the MT variant is xenon headlamps, Cruise control, which is kind of useless on Indian roads with an MT, the sunroof, electric seat with memory. You get two airbags as far as I know, and all other luxury and safety features of the top end variant.

In this segment, waiting is always better. New Elantra and Cruze are also round the corner.
Old 8th December 2015, 00:10   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
With the diesel Octavia you're largely safe. But if you can make the compromise, go for the MT. The refreshed Octavia should be here in June-July 2016, so if you could wait, that will be great. Only major thing you miss out in the MT variant is xenon headlamps, Cruise control, which is kind of useless on Indian roads with an MT, the sunroof, electric seat with memory. You get two airbags as far as I know, and all other luxury and safety features of the top end variant.

In this segment, waiting is always better. New Elantra and Cruze are also round the corner.

Xenon headlamps aren't totally useless. Infact I find them better on highways during the night time. Cruise control definitely is useless, but then electric seats with memory will be an added advantage considering even I do end up driving the car every now and then and the drivers' settings are a pain to reset to my liking. Have the Laura and it's quiet irritating adjusting the seat height and back. The only thing which is quick is the fore and aft of the seats.

To be quiet honest I'm a sucker for engine power but a bigger one for safety features. So 8 airbags VS 2 airbags - I would prefer the 8. Not sure whether the sunroof would ever be used - but the almost panaromic one on the Octavia gives a huge bump to the psychological roominess of the car.
Old 8th December 2015, 07:52   #177
BHPian

Quote:

To be quiet honest I'm a sucker for engine power but a bigger one for safety features. So 8 airbags VS 2 airbags - I would prefer the 8.
+1
That is why I went for the top end version, keeping DSG woes aside.
On a side note, Skoda seems to have cut down Octavia variants to just 3. Only 1.4 TSI is available in manual and the 2.0 TDI and 1.8TSI, DSG versions, are only available in the style plus.
Old 14th December 2015, 09:33   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

I am yet to hear from them, what actually caused the mechatronic fire in my car. If your running is high, consider my advice. I have run the car already about 48K in 2 years. Where as Neeli Pari might not have done the same amount of mileage. Abhinav uses it mostly in the city. In any case it you plan to go for a manual transmission, go ahead and take the leap. Its the top end trims that have this electronic mafia inside them, which can decide when to kill your car without warning.
Hi Adi!
I have always loved the New Octavia and the 1.8 TSI motor from the previous Octavia and Laura. After reading your thread, It gives me chills to even think of that situation you faced but I am thoroughly confused whether to Go In for the 1.8TSI with DQ 200 Style Plus Variant or 2.0TDI with DQ250 style plus variant?
I have booked and Cancelled Hyundai Creta Twice just because I really like the Octavia.
My usage is very less, Maximum of 800 kms a month ( My current Car is 7 years old and only 47250 on the ODO) Is it worth the risk? And As You said, Were there any failures recently(MY15 Octavia) ?
Old 27th December 2015, 10:51   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
A limited edition is coming up for celebrating 120th anniversary of skoda.
it has paddles, 8 air bags, updated touch screen (same size), start button etc. I have booked the same. Delivery time is not confirmed yet.. I have already ordered a flat bottom steering with paddles, looks like i have to sell it.
How much does the TSI Average in a Peak Rush hour Traffic in Bangalore? I am really really confused on whether to book one or go for the TDI(Really Hate the Torsion Beam Suspension though). Had two Test Drives this month and couldn't find any traffic (Tafe Access Dealership at House Road on Sunday,Both the times).
My usage is fairly low, Not more than 1000 (I currently do about 700kms/month) kms/Month.
Please do answer my query as soon as possible
Old 28th December 2015, 16:33   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishithrao95 View Post
How much does the TSI Average in a Peak Rush hour Traffic in Bangalore? I am really really confused on whether to book one or go for the TDI(Really Hate the Torsion Beam Suspension though). Had two Test Drives this month and couldn't find any traffic (Tafe Access Dealership at House Road on Sunday,Both the times).
My usage is fairly low, Not more than 1000 (I currently do about 700kms/month) kms/Month.
Please do answer my query as soon as possible
Go for TDI version. 6 speed dual clutch transmission that you get in TDI is more reliable than 7 speed found in TSI. TDI has excellent power delivery and running cost will also be low. TDI will be easy to resell and the resale price would more than compensate the additional amount that you are paying right now.

My running is also very low. I have completed about 7k in my 11 month of ownership. But I still opted for TDI for above mentioned reasons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks