Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2015, 19:15   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia gets a new "Style Plus" variant; Anniversary Edition launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
So all other factors being constant, which is the better bet for a normal middle class person looking for an automatic? Or should we totally avoid the VAG DSG s?
I own the Laura DSG with 6 Speed DSG since last 5 years done 80k, so far it has been reliable, one glitch with the shifter was fixed under warranty.

I were to buy a replacement from Skoda again, I would buy none, Diesel has inferior twist beam suspension and TSI has independent rear suspension but comes with only the DQ200 which I do not trust. Plus I am fed up of Skoda after sales support, pay 24 lakhs and still be treated badly. I'd rather arrange another 10 lakhs and get myself a new low end 320d or a used 328i.

My cousin owns the new Octavia Elegance TDI DSG, compared to Laura its more spacious, feels better inside but the build quality is not as solid, steering has lost all the weight and it's not as fun to throw around corners.
.anshuman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 19:42   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Plus I am fed up of Skoda after sales support, pay 24 lakhs and still be treated badly. I'd rather arrange another 10 lakhs and get myself a new low end 320d or a used 328i.
The difference is not even 10 lakhs now with the huge discounts on offer, it is more like 8 lakhs now, one of the reasons we did not go for Octavia and went for a 320 prestige. BMW's service is top class which i recently got to test and VW is pathetic. (from my 3 years experience)

Octavia is a brilliant car at 24 lakhs though, diesel does not handle as well as the Laura but the car looks gorgeous and the interiors are beautifully crafted. Just that Skoda does not know how to sell cars or service them
Old 25th October 2015, 21:19   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi cool boy, Can you elaborate on the 8 Lacs difference? Is BMW 320 indeed available at 32 Lacs?
Old 26th October 2015, 02:54   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hi cool boy, Can you elaborate on the 8 Lacs difference? Is BMW 320 indeed available at 32 Lacs?
I got mine for 29.5 ex showroom, Prestige variant. Add 8% for road tax and another 40k for insurance (had 50% NCB from previous car), it is around the 32 mark as the handling charges were also waived off. Octavia was costing me around 24L so i gave it a stretch and opted for the base 320 with corona rings.

Lets not go off topic, if you have any further queries, feel free to PM me.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 10:09   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
If you're looking for reliability, go for a Toyota Corolla. Skoda/VW cars are unreliable not only in terms of gearbox issues, and yes both 6DSG and 7DSG are prone to failures. Lately, the number of failures has reduced. But there is no specific reason for failure till now, Skoda has not given an answer yet as to why the mechatronic caught fire in my car.

If you still want one of the German options, I would suggest you to go for a Jetta TDI Highline MT or DSG. But pls stay away from Skoda till they come up with a solution.
I had been to service center for an exhaust warning light recently. It is not yet solved. The car is only run 400 kms and I had to make alternate arrangements for my travel during dassara vacations. The service experience is average and the treatment dished out is pretty bad.

During my first visit to SC, I had a talk with service manager regarding DSG reliability. As per him, In DSG they made 2 changes from the past. One is use mineral oil and other one is some valve default position was open and when parked and when parked for long time (like a week) dust and moisture enter and cause failure. Now its default in closed position when engine is off. And new Octavia, no DSG failure was reported in Bangalore.

As you rightly said if you want hassle free ownership, look outside SKODA/VW. I was almost finalized on an X1 and then comes a style plus version with all possible features and I took a leap of faith. Before, my experience with Laura VRS was just about okay bordering on bad.
motor_breathing is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:59   #141
BHPian

Exhaust Warning Light Issue

Yesterday the car was again taken to Vinayak Skoda workshop and after diagnosis they say lambda (O2) sensor is faulty and will be replaced under warranty. The part is not available and the car will be in the workshop for a week until part arrives. They have no explanation why the sensor is gone kaput. Its just hopeless that Skoda produce a complex car and parts are not available or they have no idea why it failed. At least I am happy that they didn't blame the sun film I put for sensor failure. (SARCASAM ALERT).
Old 28th October 2015, 15:50   #142
BHPian

Re: Exhaust Warning Light Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
Yesterday the car was again taken to Vinayak Skoda workshop and after diagnosis they say lambda (O2) sensor is faulty.
Must be some manufacturing defect, the only way for the sensor to go kaput genuinely is that over the years soot develops on the sensor because of the exhaust gases and then the sensor fails. But this is years down the line of a car's life. Sad to hear that it will take a week for just a teeny tiny sensor.
Samar117 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 18:22   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
Yesterday the car was again taken to Vinayak Skoda workshop and after diagnosis they say lambda (O2) sensor is faulty and will be replaced under warranty. The part is not available and the car will be in the workshop for a week until part arrives. They have no explanation why the sensor is gone kaput. Its just hopeless that Skoda produce a complex car and parts are not available or they have no idea why it failed. At least I am happy that they didn't blame the sun film I put for sensor failure. (SARCASAM ALERT).

Don't waste time and take it up to MD Skoda level. Request them to send a technical team from the factory, to come and check the entire exhaust system, and a thorough check up of the whole car. If they can't guarantee the car to be trouble free, ask for a refund. On a side note, didn't i advise everyone to stay away from the Octavia? Only good thing about the car is its outer looks! I think Skoda knew they have a bogus product and cashed in on the looks part, so people like you and me succumb in to purchasing a 'high-end' car. Or should I say a very complicated electronic washing machine on wheels! Hey thats a good topic name for my thread 😎
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 21:13   #144

Hi I really wanted to know how Skoda Service in general is. Also, have you posted your Ownership review and buying experience + pics of your brand new Skoda Octavia??- can learn from a lot of reports and tips and experiences since you did agree that you took that leap of faith. Am in the market for a D Segment sedan in the next few months and am totally confused. Need to make informed decisions thats why...

Quote:
Don't waste time and take it up to MD Skoda level. Request them to send a technical team from the factory, to come and check the entire exhaust system, and a thorough check up of the whole car. If they can't guarantee the car to be trouble free, ask for a refund. On a side note, didn't i advise everyone to stay away from the Octavia? Only good thing about the car is its outer looks! I think Skoda knew they have a bogus product and cashed in on the looks part, so people like you and me succumb in to purchasing a 'high-end' car. Or should I say a very complicated electronic washing machine on wheels! Hey thats a good topic name for my thread 😎
What happened Adi ?!- I am Adu from Chennai and am contemplating between Skoda Octavia and Altis as my D Segment sedan. Hmm throughly confused as there are pros and cons on both sides. I saw your ownership review of the brilliant blue Skoda Octavia which I am after - same car same petrol - is your experience that bad. What are its cons that you have experienced so far? Please elucidate.

Mods: I replied just after my earlier reply as I didn't notice that Adi had replied then- if you find the need, merge both posts please.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th October 2015 at 21:58. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 29th October 2015, 09:36   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_cr View Post
What happened Adi ?!- I am Adu from Chennai and am contemplating between Skoda Octavia and Altis as my D Segment sedan. Hmm throughly confused as there are pros and cons on both sides. I saw your ownership review of the brilliant blue Skoda Octavia which I am after - same car same petrol - is your experience that bad. What are its cons that you have experienced so far? Please elucidate.

Mods: I replied just after my earlier reply as I didn't notice that Adi had replied then- if you find the need, merge both posts please.

If you have read my thread and also my 'breakdown' thread, you would not ask me this. The car is highly unreliable. Imagine you're going with your family on a road trip in the evening, and suddenly your car catches fire in the middle of the road? Do you want to pay your own money and buy this problem for yourself?

Pls look at the Jetta, Hyundai Elantra, or a used upper segment car. But stay away from Octavia and any car with the dq200 7 spd DSG.
Old 30th October 2015, 01:26   #146

Quote:
If you have read my thread and also my 'breakdown' thread, you would not ask me this. The car is highly unreliable. Imagine you're going with your family on a road trip in the evening, and suddenly your car catches fire in the middle of the road? Do you want to pay your own money and buy this problem for yourself?

Pls look at the Jetta, Hyundai Elantra, or a used upper segment car. But stay away from Octavia and any car with the dq200 7 spd DSG.
The point here is I am in a dilemma, especially after the Style Plus variant release - I am only buying a D segment SEDAN because I am fed up with the Fiat service and A.S.S experience - spent too much on its service and decided I have had enough. Here are my thoughts on the Petrols (my monthly running of 500-odd kms does not warrant a diesel by any stretch of imagination):

Jetta: The Jetta is too small and cramped for my heavier build and I didn't like the variants and hence out of my choice.

Hyundai Elantra: Loved the looks and features but the ride, lack-lustre handling and suspension is something I will not get used to as I am a Linea customer currently and its ride surpasses many of those above its segment itself.

So I have narrowed my choices to Toyota Corolla Altis and Octavia. Now having the horrible A.S.S experience that I have had with Fiat and seeing the numerous negative testimonials, technically and otherwise at Skoda and its service centres, I am quite apprehensive about going in for the Octavia. But consider the Altis in its present form:

Corolla Altis: Brilliant and verified service backup free of headaches, but the car has some serious cost-cutting - which we don't expect from a D Segment car when you are paying just 2 lacs lesser than the Octavia - the boot is made of flimsy Fibre Glass, the doors don't have the European thud, the safety is questionable - only 2 Airbags on the top end where the Octavia style plus has 8 airbags, feature list is good (almost similar to Octavia), but no rear AC vent (for executive sedan this is horrible), no ESP which Octavia has, also the Etios incident of 'not hitting properly for airbags to deploy' and Toyota's global recall on airbag failures also irks me. And I feel Octavia is a better car all-round.

Things that worry me about the Octavia is excessive service bills, part failures that don't come with readymade answers and unreliable service centres. I know I may be falling into another bad Fiat like pit which has literally caused fractures in my family, but what are my options, I feel that going for Altis is settling for less - and the other Blue Octavia on the forum (the owner calls it Neeli pari - there is an ownership review) hasn't had such a bad experience as yours. What could really be the reason - is your experience just a one-off case?

I'm confused. :Frustrate Sorry to persist on this but a nice discussion will help clear things. I hope.
Old 30th October 2015, 09:16   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Things that worry me about the Octavia is excessive service bills, part failures that don't come with readymade answers and unreliable service centres. I know I may be falling into another bad Fiat like pit which has literally caused fractures in my family, but what are my options, I feel that going for Altis is settling for less - and the other Blue Octavia on the forum (the owner calls it Neeli pari - there is an ownership review) hasn't had such a bad experience as yours. What could really be the reason - is your experience just a one-off case?
The main problem with skoda is TSI sales are very less and so no parts available. If any part need replacement, your car is grounded for almost 2 weeks. Now with octavia and earlier with Laura VRS I faced this issue.
And while at workshop they dirty the car interiors, I had some fancy valve cap on laura and some one stole it..
Old 30th October 2015, 09:19   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm confused. :Frustrate Sorry to persist on this but a nice discussion will help clear things. I hope.

In any case, no matter how perfect the Octavia sounds, anyone in a sane frame of mind should not go for it as of now. At least wait for the facelift in 2016. How old is your Linea? Can you stretch it for a little longer?

The Jetta and Octavia are almost similar in terms of interior space. You could also have a look at the Renault Fluence, or a highly discounted Volvo S60.

The petrol Jetta is not fun to drive. Diesel is a very very good machine especially in MT guise.

If I were you, I would park that money somewhere else for approx 6 months, and wait.

I am yet to hear from them, what actually caused the mechatronic fire in my car. If your running is high, consider my advice. I have run the car already about 48K in 2 years. Where as Neeli Pari might not have done the same amount of mileage. Abhinav uses it mostly in the city. In any case it you plan to go for a manual transmission, go ahead and take the leap. Its the top end trims that have this electronic mafia inside them, which can decide when to kill your car without warning.

On chatting with the service engineer, he said yes, previously few Superbs with 7 speed DSG have been reported to catch fire because of mechatronic failure. The only thing protecting you here are not 8 airbags, but a small fuse, which if does not break the circuit, could put the vehicle in electronic failure, means you risk the chance of losing complete control over the car.

As a responsible human being, I will never advice anyone to buy any car with a DQ200 box. Yes, thats just one component, there are also several other failures like early battery failures, sensor failures that cause christmas tree effects in your field of view, some cases of fuel pump failures, and all of the above, i have personally experienced on this particular car. So if you think i just got a lemon, think again.

They said that I used poor quality fuel, thats what they blame for fuel pump failure, asked me to fill up only at 'reputed' pumps and always ask for a sample of fuel for visual inspection of colour and smell. I did that for a while, after that it was not practical to do so.

Battery died in 1.5 years, replaced under warranty.

Mechatronic fried up, and replaced under warranty, I am still waiting for their reply as to what was actually the cause of this, they had opened up he whole dashboard and door cards of the car, to access the steering column and something else may be. They put it back, not as it should have been, broke a lock in the door card so the grab handle keeps coming loose, and the center console small storage sliding lid was also not aligned properly, i had to open it my self and do it.

Not to mention 2-3 trips for sunroof rattle fix, both ORVMs are replaced, and still there is the suspension issue to be solved. The technicians have a very simple explanation, saying all Octavias make such noises. Great isnt it? Where as over all maintenance of the car is not expensive. Expect a bill of about 7-9000 per 15000 kms. Brake pad change is expensive which I did at 45000 kms service. Same service immediately after which within 1 hour, the car was on fire.

Yeah, otherwise brilliant car to drive.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 10:17   #149
BHPian

Quote:

Hyundai Elantra: Loved the looks and features but the ride, lack-lustre handling and suspension is something I will not get used to as I am a Linea customer currently and its ride surpasses many of those above its segment itself.

Hi there, I drive an Elantra petrol automatic and found it really fuss free and absolutely no issues like rattles, electronic malfunctions etc. Though, it is only 3.5 months that I have it. However, few who have bought XUV 500 around the same time had few issues already.

The service is a breeze actually. Very prompt and quick. I had 2 of them so far, the 1 month check up and 1200 kms service - 1st service.

Regarding handling and suspension - I found them to be not an issue. I drove mainly on good roads so far though and within 80-100 KMPH. But, I believe, as long as you are not circuit driving the handling should not be an issue. Suspension is tuned towards comfort and is ok. Tyre noise inside cabin is a bit on the higher side which I believe are due to those good year tyres. I would change them on the next available opportunity to Michelins.

Overall, it's a fuss free car. Since I own it my opinion could be biased.

Regarding Corolla, sorry, for that much money, there are NO 6 air bags? NO ESP? Camry has 8 air bags if I'm not wrong. I even thought of straight upgrading to Camry for the super features and safety it offers particularly the Hybrid variant, but a bit unnecessary given my very low usage and circumstances. Corolla class deserves 6 air bags and I will want safety at these prices though I would never want to have an opportunity to use them! Hyundai and Toyota are on par when it comes to fuss free ownership, though Toyota may be better but given your low running both should be on an equal footing.

Take a well thought out decision. The choice is particularly limited in D segment because of this VW scandal (people may veer away), Skoda A.S.S.

Last edited by petrolveins : 30th October 2015 at 10:20.
Old 30th October 2015, 11:23   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Hi there,
Well, this comes from an Octavia diesel owner who has done ~28k kms in about 16 months. I am satisfied with my car. Period. It is amazing to drive(not the best in handling part though) and good on comfort too. Mostly, it is my driver that drives it and with the kind of conditions it's been through, I can safely say that it has taken the abuse pretty well. Yes, there are issues- the famous Sunroof rattle and the ORVM tick-tick noise. All I am able to do is get them checked on my visit to the service centre but sadly, it is not a permanent fix by them.
But here, since you are looking for petrol, allow me share my two cents too. Pardon me if I am wrong somewhere since I am a total noob when it comes to technicalities of this machine.
1.8Tsi is a hoot to drive. Everyone has said the same but Adi's case is really an unfortunate one. I'm not saying it is a one off case, rather, the amount of kms he has clocked, I am sure no other TSI in my notice would have done that since his car was from the first lot. This infact is helpful because prospective buyers like you can sit up and take notice before making a decision. DQ200 is famous for its failures since the Superb days. Most of the Superbs felt prey to the unreliable nature of this gearbox. Skoda A.S.S is famous for its unhelpful attitude and I would ask you to check with other forum members regarding the same in your city. As Adi had stated somewhere else, there is just one service centre in whole of Ahemdabad and from what I can infer from his reports, those guys do not seem to be customer friendly at all.
Why I didn't go for the TSI was because of the quality of petrol in my city and the infamous DQ200.
If you wish to invest in this car, make up your mind and be mentally prepared for the worst- whatever has happened with Adi.
Get ready to face the music of rattles and the callous attitude of the A.S.S.
Else,
If you can live with boat like drive and handling, go for Elantra. (No offence to any owners, just my opinion).
If you want excellent support from A.S.S,
Look no further than a Toyota. Corolla will fit your budget and what you get in that is a good engine but features and safety from a segment below.
Else, if you can, go for a Camry Hybrid. It will tick all your boxes and you won't need to change your car anytime soon.
Jetta's petrol is not recommended by anyone. You can still have a dekko if you wish to. Do remember that new one is just around the corner.
So that is what I feel about this segment. (No offence to any owners, just my opinion).

P.S- you can look for good petrol options in a segment below too.

P.P.S- Sad to see you writing like this for your car Adi. I hope your issues get sorted and you don't have to face anymore troubles with your car. Have you written to the customer care for the mechatronic failure?

Regards,
Shreyak

Most Viewed