Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2006, 17:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Honda have played their cards perfectly.

When I had gone to take TD of Civic the lady at Deccan Honda told me that they had received 80 orders in 3 days.

Quote:
The 2.4 Accord is beginning to looks like bad VFM in the power sweepstakes. Just 10 bhp or so more than the 1.8 Civic, and mileage is hardly comparable.
2.4 Accord and Civic are targeted at different markets. But I have to agree partly with your view in some ways Civic feels wayy ahead of Accord.
Old 7th September 2006, 17:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Honda have worked right but not quite right - we have to complement the mentality of the Indian car buying public too , who are just obsessed with anything "H" on an automobile.

Proof : - The Skoda offered DSG earlier than Honda offered Padle Shifts - no one batted a eyelid , shrugging it off as technical wizardy not needed here. And Honda offers Paddle shifts the people go GAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGA as if its I dont know what !! And we all know whats better here.
Old 7th September 2006, 17:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Proof : - The Skoda offered DSG earlier than Honda offered Padle Shifts - no one batted a eyelid , shrugging it off as technical wizardy not needed here. And Honda offers Paddle shifts the people go GAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGA as if its I dont know what !! And we all know whats better here.
It doesn't matter what is better, in market all that matters is what sells
Old 7th September 2006, 17:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Now how about a Honda Jazz, to finish it all up!!! They've taken down the big guys, it's time to give the little ones, a taste of competition. Hehe

Great goin Honda!!!

Shan2nu
Old 7th September 2006, 18:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Am surprised by this Civic effect - whats extraordinary about this car ? Its good, but by no means great enough to swamp everything else out. Ditto with City, but then I guess "H" sells in India - and HOW!
Old 7th September 2006, 18:16   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Am surprised by this Civic effect - whats extraordinary about this car ? Its good, but by no means great enough to swamp everything else out. Ditto with City, but then I guess "H" sells in India - and HOW!
Asked and answered your own question Steeroid!

Also, in general, Indians love their cars with lots of gizmo's, buttons, lights - flashy basically. The old Sonata had that, and the newer Honda's seem to have that as well.
Old 7th September 2006, 19:17   #22
BHPian

dont forget Hyundai

I think the next attack will come from Hyundai hitting with verna and with elantra. somehow I get the feeling they will get it perfect this time in higher segments and hit other manufacturers.
the reason i say this is that they have volumes and depreciation benefits(ala maruti) to price their cars very competitively and would know where to position their cars coming in last.
Old 7th September 2006, 23:13   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, The "H" has not always had the desired effect. Remember the old Honda Accord? Thats a story thats not even three years old.
Old 7th September 2006, 23:47   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp
I think the next attack will come from Hyundai hitting with verna and with elantra. somehow I get the feeling they will get it perfect this time in higher segments and hit other manufacturers.
the reason i say this is that they have volumes and depreciation benefits(ala maruti) to price their cars very competitively and would know where to position their cars coming in last.
Hyundai can shake up the small car segment and maybe their sedans will work if priced 9lakhs and below.
I doubt Hyundai can ever do well in the luxury car market....The only time it found success in that front was with the earlier Sonata. Like GTO rightly pointed out the older Accord did not do half was well as the Sonata and the prime reason for it was its stlying and bling effect.
The older accord on the other hand was an executives sedan. The Sonata with its jaguar back and c-class front appealed to many. BUT this was when the luxury segment was immature. People have now gone to look beyond the cars looks and image.
The only way Hyundai can succeed in the luxury market is by pricing strongly! Like they do in the rest of the world.
For example, the Sonata Embera needs to be sold at a priced close to the Corolla.

Last edited by Sahil : 7th September 2006 at 23:49.
Old 8th September 2006, 00:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Hyundai can shake up the small car segment and maybe their sedans will work if priced 9lakhs and below.
agreed. I am only referring to segments including Elantra and below. Hyundai is capable of pricing the new Elantra below 10L(ex showroom). From the looks of the car, though it may not appeal to all, it will definitely have some impact if priced correctly. It will be the Corolla/Civic category but priced below either.
Old 8th September 2006, 03:43   #26

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
BUT this was when the luxury segment was immature. People have now gone to look beyond the cars looks and image.
so this is why people go gaga over anything with a [H] logo on it.this is why sonata embera did not do well cos it offered the same kit which the accord offered,but i guess,people are still immature.what hyundai was doing three years earlier with the sonata,honda is doing now with their cars.its more like the souls of hyundai and honda swapped or something.
the older acord was executive-ish but no image or looks whereas the sonata had the image and the looks.the new honda accord has the looks and the image while the sonata embera is more executive.

and the tucson crdi imo is better package than the crv but again since the crv is a honda,people still buy it.

Last edited by hellspawn : 8th September 2006 at 03:51.
Old 8th September 2006, 04:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Honda SEIL should thank the Munjals for the reputation they built up with the bike for economy and reliability.

Honda's success is not surprising. Honda as a company is obsessed with Fuel Effeciency and India as a country is obssesed with Fuel Economy. A marriage made in heaven if you ask me.

Last edited by Mpower : 8th September 2006 at 07:13.
Old 8th September 2006, 06:12   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Honda SEIL should thank the Munjals for the reputation they built up with the bike for economy and reliability.
But the recent sales charts shows that Bajaj is going to cut the throat of HH very soon unless HH comes up with something new other than the usual sticker-work models !!!

Now it seems to be like that removing Hero Honda(saleswise) from the #1 position is a cakewalk for Bajaj....
Old 8th September 2006, 07:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Hondas seem to have a good following everywhere. The latest Civic seems so gimmicky to me with its digital speedo and analog tacho. I always loved the ride of Toyotas as they are more damped compared to Hondas. May be that's what attracts people to Honda?
Old 8th September 2006, 10:16   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so this is why people go gaga over anything with a [H] logo on it.
Stop for a moment and think. Can you really think of a strong negative point about the cars Honda sells in India? All of them are superbly engineering, extremely reliable, offer years of trouble free and cheap service (Vtecs are cheaper to service than Maruti hatchbacks), great interiors, fuel efficiency and decent looks (except for the NHC IMHO). Not a single model is really outdated and is on par with what Honda sells in the rest of the world.

The only downside I have experienced as a Honda owner is the after-sales service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks