Team-BHP - The Civic Effect : Market shakes up
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Civic Effect : Market shakes up (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/16827-civic-effect-market-shakes-up.html)

So Honda goes on and sells 2400 units of the ultra-modern Civic! And the market reacts:

Ajmats Thread : Skoda reacts

Rahuls Thread : Toyota reacts

I am sure the discounts have been increased further on the Elantra and Optra 1.8. The last we saw such a shakeup was when the Indica caused everyone from Maruti to Hyundai to revise prices of their small cars.

Dont you just love competition?

I Agree! With the kind of value proposition given by Honda w.r.t power,style & performance, other players in this segment are/wouldbe really feeling the heat.

Civic has definately eatan a lot of Corolla's pie that is why they are selling their base model less than 9L...no specs are avialable for this variant. wonder why?

Octavia has less to loose as 90%(approx) of octavia sales comes from TDi version but nonetheless it would definately hit them for RS & Rider variants

On a serious note..."Yeh Dil Maange More"

cheers

Yamakuza...!! A Corolla cheaper than a Cedia...!! Forget the Civic..at that Cedia-killing price, the MR2 derivative is the most bang for your buck...! Unless HM takes the plunge and launches a Cedia "Super-Select" at 7.5L ex-showroom...

Yea, we all LOVE competition. Especially when consumer choices are SO limited. And the best is yet to come in the following 24 months...

Honda is having a ball time out here with all their cars topping the chart in their own respective segments ..... hmmm.. waiting for the next move from Toyota may be a 2.0 lit D4-D Corolla with some make over ?

Exactly. And it seems to be selling like hot cakes. Just came back from Bandra, and seen a LOT of Civics!!!! One observation - most were silver. The red looks AMAZING!!!!

Lots of civics are selling in Delhi also. And the biggest hit has been taken by Optra top end, corolla and the petrol rider versions.
I read somewhere that honda has an amazing 2.2L diesel engine too. If that comes in with a minor price rise then skoda will have to pull up socks too.

Imagine this....despite all the competitor price-cuts, the Civic sells the most (while being the most expensive too).

Add to this:

1. Accord - Best selling car in the 16 lac segment
2. CRV - Best selling SUV (hardly) in the 15 lac SUV segment.
3. NHC - Best selling sedan in its class (7 - 8 lac sedans).

Honda sure have worked it right, eh?

Couldn't agree with you all more. The second month after launch, they sold 1845 Civics as per this press release: http://www.hondacarindia.com/about/m...s.asp?pr_id=83

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Imagine this....despite all the competitor price-cuts, the Civic sells the most (while being the most expensive too).

Yes, but the first couple of months would be a very high figure anyway, wouldn't it? I guess the trend as such will only be visible third or fourth month onwards.....not that I'm saying the Civic will not do well

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
1. Accord - Best selling car in the 16 lac segment
2. CRV - Best selling SUV (hardly) in the 15 lac SUV segment.
3. NHC - Best selling sedan in its class (7 - 8 lac sedans).

That too without discounts. Only threats that I see are:

Accord - sensibly priced Laura but A.S.S might pull it back. Diesel Embera but the image

CRV - X trail only if it come down in price,

NHC - next Corollas, Vios, a dark horse would be the Focus saloon if it comes with diesel, Fabia diesel

Quote:

NHC - next Corollas, Vios, a dark horse would be the Focus saloon if it comes with diesel, Fabia diesel
Don't forget the soon to be launched Hyundai Verna. That is sure to take sales away from the Honda considering it looks better, will be cheaper, and will offer similar, if not better specs.

The 2.4 Accord is beginning to looks like bad VFM in the power sweepstakes. Just 10 bhp or so more than the 1.8 Civic, and mileage is hardly comparable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r
The 2.4 Accord is beginning to looks like bad VFM in the power sweepstakes. Just 10 bhp or so more than the 1.8 Civic, and mileage is hardly comparable.

.....and so if you want mileage ...buy a Civic

if you want muscle for for the V6 for a few dollars more

Vios is a distant dream now. Toyota has ruled it out for the near future. As for the CR-V, if the Maruti-Nissan deal goes through as planned and if better sense prevails, then...provided Nissan gives proper service back-up etc., the CR-V (even the 2.2 diesel) is no match for the Xtrail...I would do anything just to get my hands on that GTR's AWD.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r

Thats why the 2.4 engine is going to be pumped with 15 more horses or soon in the facelifted accord which is due soon-diwali time i hear.

About the Civic shaking up the market.....the only thing i can say is "I'm loving it...para pa pa pa" :) .....Every now and then we need a strong contendor like this to enter a segment and put manufacturers on their feet.