Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 18:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Honda has recalled 2,23,578 vehicle in India to carry out replacement of faulty airbags. The models affected include the CR-V, Civic, City and Jazz.

A total of 13,073 units of the CR-V manufactured between 2004 and 2011 have been recalled. Out of these, 8,330 have a fault with their driver side airbag inflators and 11,495 have faulty passenger side airbag inflators.

54,290 units of the Civic, manufactured between 2003 and 2012 have been affected. 54,288 cars have faulty driver side airbag inflators, while 40,083 vehicles have faulty passenger side airbag inflators.

Coming to the City, a total of 1,40,508 units, manufactured between 2007 and 2012 have been recalled, out of which, all 1,40,508 units have faulty driver side airbag inflators and 2,646 units have faulty passenger side airbag inflators.

Driver side airbag inflators of 15,707 units of the Jazz hatchback, manufactured between 2009 and 2011 will be replaced.

The replacement would be carried out free of cost at Honda dealerships across India from 12th October 2015 in a phased manner and the company will communicate with customers directly.

Additionally, owners can log on to Honda's website and ascertain if their vehicles are in the list of recalled vehicles. Owners need to enter their car's 17-character alpha-numeric Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the special microsite that has been created.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th September 2015 at 19:09.
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 18:46   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Honda has recalled 2,23,578 vehicle in India to carry out replacement of faulty airbags.
Oh, yeah?
We cry foul over all the manufacturers who do not provide airbags, even for namesake. Now, we understand that Honda has just satisfied that. Provided airbags for the namesake, and now recalling most of their top variant cars to replace inflators at service centres.
The quality of replacing these parts at the service centre, of course will not equal a proper factory fitting.
How are we to believe that the whole unit as a piece would work in the time of need, after such a replacement?
Old 18th September 2015, 18:53   #3

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Auto industry is taking safety very seriously. Have heard of units of beat and spark being recalled earlier by general motors.
But this decision to call back different vehicles from 2003 to 2012 must be a difficult decision to take.
2,23,578 is a huge number.
sumitjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 18:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

Is this related to the Takata issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Oh, yeah?
We cry foul over all the manufacturers who do not provide airbags, even for namesake. Now, we understand that Honda has just satisfied that. Provided airbags for the namesake, and now recalling most of their top variant cars to replace inflators at service centres.
The quality of replacing these parts at the service centre, of course will not equal a proper factory fitting.
How are we to believe that the whole unit as a piece would work in the time of need, after such a replacement?
Recalls should always be appreciated IMO. Honda could have chosen to keep quiet on the matter - avoiding such bad publicity and press. However, they have chosen the right choice with a recall.

Recalled parts are usually mistakes made by vendors. Honda is not entirely to blame here. By the sheer number of cars involved- I think it might be related to the Takata issue.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 19:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is this related to the Takata issue?
By the sheer number of cars involved- I think it might be related to the Takata issue.
Seems to be. TOI mentions the Takata issue in their news article but has not directly referenced it to this recall.

What is worrying me is that manufacturer cannot handle recalling all the vehicles at the same time so are they staggering the recalls? That is scary since you will be left driving faulty vehicle.

I always wondered how is the Jazz spared form this recall since it was one vehicle that was hardly localised.

Here is the direct link to the latest recall verification.

I have Nov 2012 model. I checked it on the link, does not qualify for the recall. But what are the chances they would announce post 2011 models in next phase. Any idea if they would have done this since they can attend to only certain number of vehicles for now? May be some one who has internal knowledge on how recalls are planned could shed some light on this.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 19:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Jun 2007 Civic, chassis no. starting MARFD - recall not applicable.

But it is still a bit unnerving to drive the car. Unless I get my hands on bullet proof jacket soon, I think I will dispose off the car within the next few months.
Old 18th September 2015, 19:55   #7
BHPian

To all who're worrying about driving around with a faulty airbag inflator, just make sure that your vtec doesn't kick in, yo!

Jokes aside, let's not bash Honda for doing the right thing. Accepting there is a fault, and issuing a recall is waaay better than facing customers ire and giving fake & made up reasons about why the airbags didn't go off in the event of an accident. Besides, I'm sure the countless threads we have here on Team-Bhp, about Honda's supposed reliability, must have played an important role in issuing this recall. Recalls happen. It's normal. Just take your Honda to the dealer, get the thingamajig replaced, and bob's your uncle.
sourav9385 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 20:38   #8
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2015 at 17:23.
kkkkkaran is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th September 2015, 20:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mine is 2010 Jazz. I checked the link above and it says not applicable.

I wonder if the link is correctly working.

And we need to appreciate Honda for undertaking such a massive recall.
I hope the service center is trained to do such a critical replacement properly.
Old 18th September 2015, 21:07   #10
BHPian

Guys where do I find the VIN inside a City Ivtec? This is pretty scary, the City had a weak chassis and now no airbags?
Old 18th September 2015, 21:25   #11
BHPian

You will need you chassis number. Quickest way to find is your car insurance policy, honda booklet, RC card.

@adimicra may be we should try again after some time or ask service team to enter in their database to check.

Last edited by naikameya : 18th September 2015 at 21:27.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 21:38   #12
BHPian

Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty ai...

Mine too says not applicable! Should I be happy already or this is a bug? Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-imageuploadedbyteambhp1442592517.971886.jpg

Last edited by 1lokesh : 18th September 2015 at 21:43.
Old 18th September 2015, 23:13   #13
BHPian

My city 2010 make; was disappointed;when engine valve recall was announced few years back. As Honda's legendary engine trust was breached, Now this airbag issue. The high premium we pay for honda, the trust is broken.
Old 19th September 2015, 00:00   #14
BHPian

Honda has taken a positive step towards safety by recalling vehicles with faulty airbags but sadly the government does not do anything against the firms even if they don't. We don't have U.S N.H.T.S.A equivalent in India. We are at the mercy of these companies and let's thank Honda for their professional and timely action.

We are perhaps the largest market for automobiles where safety tests by govt is unheard off. Reminds me of VW offering airbags as standard as soon as NCAP results came. Sad to see Honda still selling Brio without airbags though.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 10:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

For our City, its coming 'Product update in your vehicle is not applicable'.

Most Viewed