Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2006, 13:01   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Management is very tightlipped at the moment but with whatever interaction I had feel they will bombard the indian market with two-three models in the near future.
Diesel,sedan,small car,india specific are the things popping out from their talk.

So yes this may just be the lull before the storm and I will be forced to eat my words very soon.
X100 times!!!!

And praying with my hands, eyes everything closed!!! AAAAAMEN!!!!!

Last edited by speedzak : 9th September 2006 at 13:02.
Old 9th September 2006, 13:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

With the amount of suprises they bring I would not be shocked if toyota bring a hybrid engine model[vehicle with futuristic looks and very high fuel savings added with someamount of luxury] to compete with the civic.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 9th September 2006 at 13:07.
Old 9th September 2006, 13:15   #18
BHPian

The toyota vios:

The yaris sedan:

Seems like toyota initially planned to bring in the Vios but now dropped its plans coz it cannot price it below 9 lac. so most probable chances will the Yaris sedan and may its hatch too.
Old 9th September 2006, 13:31   #19
Team-BHP Support

ACI mentions that toyota had done a feasibility on the vios but found it wudnt have been able to price it with the honda city below 9 lakhs hence cancelled the vios plan. now they are concentrating on the small car for 2008.
Old 10th September 2006, 01:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Same car with different cosmetics for different markets, almost like the Corolla (Euro/American) v/s Corolla Altis (India and SE Asian markets). Look at the rooflines, windshields and wheel wells - its only the nose and tail that have changed.
I dont remember anything different in the Americal corolla and Indian one apart from the fact that the American one has LHD, we have RHD... American ones have 195/65 R 15 tyres while we have 195/60 R 15 (surprising..lower than american profile on bad roads) and we seem to have a slightly raised suspension..
the body panels including lights and front/back seem exactly same..!
Old 10th September 2006, 03:06   #21
BHPian

W.R.T. speedzak's comment - "And recently Toyota became the No.1 beating Ford in US!", I would like to clarify that GM is still number 1 in the U.S. and Toyota beat Ford to get to the number two slot. But it is not long before Toyota pips GM from the top slot and that would be some achievement. Wonder what the American Big Three will feel like. Hopefully they are working on smaller / lighter fuel efficient cars / engines or else their only saviour will be a direct oil pipeline laid from Middle East.
Old 11th September 2006, 11:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
ACI mentions that toyota had done a feasibility on the vios but found it wudnt have been able to price it with the honda city below 9 lakhs hence cancelled the vios plan. now they are concentrating on the small car for 2008.

How is this possible ?

Both the Vios and the NHC sell for about the same price in Malaysia and Thailand. And Vios sells twice of NHC.
All they have to do is take a cue from Honda's book and use the same approach.
Old 11th September 2006, 12:49   #23
BHPian

toyota is definitely sleeping, or making the wrong decisions, or rather not making the right ones.

they definitely messed up by not launching the VIOS. Its positioned almost head-to-head against the honda city, but offers more value for money in terms of the little extras that go a long way. its proved to be quite successful in Malaysia.

Also going by this forum alone, i believe there are a lot of people who reject the honda city on its outlandish (or futuristic, depending on which side of the fence you are on) looks. these people would have gladly plonked for the VIOS, which is technologically as good as Honda's or as reliable, if not more, with more conventional looks that would go down well with the Indian buyer. honda city, at its niche today, does not really have a competitor.

another example..
Toyota recently launched the Avanza in Malaysia, an MPV-type vehicle, which I looks very much like a scaled down version of the Innova. This would sell like hot cakes here. Its already selling like hot cakes there. and whats the amazing part ? Its priced for less than the cost of a Malaysian made mid-level sedan, the Proton Waja (1.6 petrol sedan). The Waja is on road for RM.46000, and Toyota launched the Avanza at around RM.42000. Is that amazing or what ?

Given the size of the market for that segment of cars, Toyota is crazy for not introducing the Avanza here ahead of S.E.Asia.

Last edited by hell_rider : 11th September 2006 at 12:52.
Old 11th September 2006, 15:29   #24
BANNED

I just checked that Avanza thingy! Just great!!

C'mon Toyota, we need it here.
Old 11th September 2006, 19:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have been pestering the toyota management since about a year now to bring in the avanza,and especially the vios for more than a year.But each time the reply from toyota is that they will bring out a vehicle they feel the time is best for it.

I however feel toyota india has made a big mistake and would have been in a very very good postion had these two vehicles been introduced before the innova.The vios atlest should have been here long before.
Old 11th September 2006, 22:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
How is this possible ?
Both the Vios and the NHC sell for about the same price in Malaysia and Thailand. And Vios sells twice of NHC.
All they have to do is take a cue from Honda's book and use the same approach.
The answer may lie with the 80% indigenisation Honda achieved with the NHC in India. Right time of entry, pricing, volumes have facilitated this. Honda can milk this car for 2 more years (atleast) in India, without having to worry about Toyota or Thailand!
Old 12th September 2006, 10:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
Cant price Vios below 9L. The stripped down corolla is 8.68L (ex-showroom, bangalore). C'mon toyota, do something. The city-fiesta is the segment where the action is!
Old 12th September 2006, 12:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is looking at the 4.5-6.5 segment though and is to launch india specific car in that segment by 2008.For two more years it would be impossible for toyota to expect larger sales with the present model line up.Surely even a layman would know that they should bring something into the market before 2008.

The vios could help toyota in bringing out their india specific car since by 2008 toyota could achieve higher level of indigenisation due to which the india specific car could be made cheaper.
Old 12th September 2006, 12:39   #29

corolla with innova diesel

I just can't figure out why they do not put the innova diesel engine in the corolla. Price shoudn't be a concern as innova is priced far lower than the corolla. They should be able to launch quickly as everything is already in house. A corolla with the innova diesel priced at about 9.5 lakhs makes my mouth water and I think they would definitely rack up the numbers.
Old 16th September 2006, 02:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohananuj
I just can't figure out why they do not put the innova diesel engine in the corolla. Price shoudn't be a concern as innova is priced far lower than the corolla. They should be able to launch quickly as everything is already in house. A corolla with the innova diesel priced at about 9.5 lakhs makes my mouth water and I think they would definitely rack up the numbers.
Its a huge and heavy mill..dont think it will git in properly in the Corolla bay and might have excessive vibrations

Most Viewed