Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2006, 19:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota India managerial team sleeping.

What is the second largest carmakers indian half doing. They seem to have understood the indian market well when they came out with the qualis.But after that it has been completely sloppy.The biggest benefator has been none other than its japanese rival honda.They seem to be launching the right cars at the right prices whereas toyota india just has lost the plot completely.

Suprising since they were the ones who caught the american car manufacturers ofguard completely and now they are repeating the same mistakes which the americans made whereas toyota america did not make them and just went on producing cars which the people just loved and also at the right prices.The same cannot be said of toyota india though.Toyota innova was launched without proper focus and they thought they could bring the people who drive octies and accords into the innova.Toyota camry just outprices itself.Toyota corolla has become outdated in front of its spaceage rival the civic.
Toyota is not even going back to the drawing board with something new on an urgent basis and is following the same suicidal gm tactic of price cuts,disounts and a lack of focus in what they want to do.

Will Toyota India please wake up from its slumber.
Old 8th September 2006, 19:46   #2
BHPian

A new Corolla is being planned in 2008, right? But it'll be too late by then...
Old 8th September 2006, 20:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

You got to remember, the Camry market is the big US revenue earner so they were focussing on that.

Expect a new Corolla v soon
Old 8th September 2006, 21:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

They should launch the Yaris sedan at around the Honda City price-levels. Its more of a car than the City and that would take the battle to Honda. The new Camry is reportedly doing well in India and I was proud to see the same car being introduced to the Dubai market as 'THE BRAND NEW CAMRY' yesterday. For once we get to see something first !!!

As for small cars, I guess its a decision as to whether to go with the Toyota or the Daihatsu brand - they have plenty of cars to choose from. I'd much prefer them not using either brand (Daihatsu is too Japanese sounding) and using something else - perhaps Subaru for instance for the small car.

If Toyota too this market seriously, Honda would have no chance - the range of vehicles that Toyota has is incredible from small cars to pickups to executive commuters to luxury cars to 4x4s to everything else. I guess India is still too small a market for them - will this be their first big mistake?

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th September 2006 at 21:06.
Old 8th September 2006, 22:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Almost everyone agrees that there is a huge hole in the market for a good SUV at 12 - 14L and Toyota has one in their stable. I have no idea why aren't
they launching it. They might get some satisfaction of hurting Honda (by
cannibalizing some of CRV sales as well).
Old 8th September 2006, 22:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude
A new Corolla is being planned in 2008, right? But it'll be too late by then...
Why do you think it would be too late? Its all in the design cycle. Honda introduced the civic right after their redesign, and Corollas after their redesign next year will be ahead. It will be a problem for Toyota if the next Corolla's redesign doesn't one up the Civic. Somehow, I am not sold on the new civics interior. Call me old fashioned, I like analog instrument panel. Digital meters are good for Head Up Displays and nothing else. Digital Instruments are tiring once the initial novelty wears off.
Old 9th September 2006, 00:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The new Camry is reportedly doing well in India and I was proud to see the same car being introduced to the Dubai market as 'THE BRAND NEW CAMRY' yesterday. For once we get to see something first !!!
Kudos to TOYOTA for giving us fresh new design.
As for Camry doing well I haven't seen many in Pune. I pass TOYOTA showroom almost daily and they don't even have one for display.
Old 9th September 2006, 08:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
As for Camry doing well I haven't seen many in Pune. I pass TOYOTA showroom almost daily and they don't even have one for display.
Why dont you walk into that showroom and ask for the earliest delivery date for the new Camry? That should be more accurate an indicator than going by what we see on the roads.
Old 9th September 2006, 12:01   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
They should launch the Yaris sedan at around the Honda City price-levels. Its more of a car than the City and that would take the battle to Honda.
Dead right, I heard that this (known as the Toyota Vios) beats the City hands down as a drivers car
Old 9th September 2006, 12:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think you have not got it right here the toyota vios and the yaris sedan are two different cars.
Old 9th September 2006, 12:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

The toyota vios:

The yaris sedan:
Old 9th September 2006, 12:36   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad

Will Toyota India please wake up from its slumber.
I dont agree to what has been said about Toyota's indian operation.
They sure are not sleeping.

Toyota is a very safe player and delivers everytime they bring a car to the market. If you look at their history, very seldom they've failed with a certain model they've brought to the market. The same law applies for India too. Corolla can't be called a failure in India and so is Camry. It always reached their sales target (in a slower manner for Camry). And regarding new models, they wont follow any maker in their approch. Ofcourse, we are very much in thirst for their small car, Fortuner, newer Corolla, Qualis replacement (Cannot call the innova that) etc... I am sure Toyota knows this more than anybody.
I think only Toyota launched a new car before it was launched in the Middle east and many other parts of the world. The new Camry was a surprise car to many. Not a single car maker (other than Maruti) has done that before in India.

Ofcourse! Iam also of the opinion of bringing in Yaris hatchback and Sedan. As the premium hatchback thingy is catching up, it'll only be a pleasure to see Yaris launched soon. And Fortuner too would be well accepted by us.
I also want to see ECHO being launched here as it will be a good option in Ikon, accent, Esteem bunch of cars. And how can we forget Lexus? Please bring it in too! Especially the new IS!!!!

So, guyz! Surprises are something we can always expect from Toyota. And they'll make everybody think twice. I say Toyota is like a benchmark which other carmakers try to match (Nissan, GM etc.. is bringing in an Innova rival soon. And somebody said some time ago the Innova was a flop). You would have never expected a Civic before Corolla here. And recently Toyota became the No.1 beating Ford in US!

Still think they're sleeping?? Then defenitely Sleep is better!
Old 9th September 2006, 12:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Talking about toyota indian operations only.

Toyota innova in India has failed to meet the sales targets although they were very ambitious targets in the first place so it would only be foolish to call it a failed product.
Old 9th September 2006, 12:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
I think you have not got it right here the toyota vios and the yaris sedan are two different cars.
Same car with different cosmetics for different markets, almost like the Corolla (Euro/American) v/s Corolla Altis (India and SE Asian markets). Look at the rooflines, windshields and wheel wells - its only the nose and tail that have changed.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th September 2006 at 12:47.
Old 9th September 2006, 12:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Management is very tightlipped at the moment but with whatever interaction I had feel they will bombard the indian market with two-three models in the near future.
Diesel,sedan,small car,india specific are the things popping out from their talk.

So yes this may just be the lull before the storm and I will be forced to eat my words very soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks