Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 16:20   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-Benz India imports GLE 450 AMG

Mercedes-Benz has imported one unit of the GLE 450 AMG into India, suggesting that the company is likely to launch the car in the country in the near future.

Mercedes-Benz India imports GLE 450 AMG-gle1.jpg

Based on the GLE coupe, The GLE 450 AMG is a rival for the BMW X6. It measures 4,891 mm in length, 2,003 mm in width and 1,719 mm in height. It has a wheelbase of 2,915 mm and a turning circle of 11.8 m.

The vehicle has an AMG body kit and badges, LED headlamps, LED tail lamps, a two-pipe exhaust system with integrated chrome-plated tailpipes and centre piece that gives it a four-pipe look. It rides on 21-inch alloy wheels.

Mercedes-Benz India imports GLE 450 AMG-gle2.jpg

On the inside, the GLE 450 AMG gets black interiors with aluminium inserts, a 3-spoke steering wheel draped in black nappa leather, AMG sports seats, brushed stainless steel pedals with rubber studs and carbon-fibre trim with piano black accents.

The GLE 450 AMG is powered by a 3.0-litre, V6 turbocharged petrol engine that produces 357 BHP @ 5,250-6,000 rpm and 520 Nm of torque @ 1,800-4,000 rpm. The car has a 9-speed automatic transmission and an all-wheel drive system. Mercedes-Benz claims that it can do a 0-100 kph sprint in 5.7 seconds and touch an electronically limited top speed of 250 kph.

Mercedes-Benz has loaded the car with features and safety equipment.

Source: Zauba

Last edited by Aditya : 7th October 2015 at 13:22.
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 15:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes-Benz India imports GLE 450 AMG

Mercedes-Benz will launch the GLE 450 AMG Coupe in India on January 12, 2016.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 26th December 2015, 16:41   #3
BHPian

Whats the point ! Just the handful of cars will be sold across country. I can see that the car is going to cross 1cr easily. Not for regular Joe or for people in Delhi :P .
Old 26th December 2015, 16:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgehlot View Post
Whats the point ! Just the handful of cars will be sold across country. I can see that the car is going to cross 1cr easily. Not for regular Joe or for people in Delhi :P .
That can't be the reasoning behind not launching a car, isn't it?

It is easy to launch such low volume cars as they are imported as CBUs. The company just needs to import one unit for the launch event and media reviews. The same car can be used for customer test drives by shuffling it between the dealers. If a customer wants one, the car can be easily imported in the desired spec. At the end of the year, Mercedes-Benz can proudly claim that they launched 15 cars during the year

As for the car, I personally love the way it looks. To my eyes, it looks much better than the BMW X6 M which is somewhat in the same category.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 17:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post

It is easy to launch such low volume cars as they are imported as CBUs. The company just needs to import one unit for the launch event and media reviews. The same car can be used for customer test drives by shuffling it between the dealers. If a customer wants one, the car can be easily imported in the desired spec. At the end of the year, Mercedes-Benz can proudly claim that they launched 15 cars during the year
+1 to amansanc

There is no loss for Mercedes Benz in launching this car, because it's not being manufactured in India, and they can always order one from the factory when someone orders one. Also, it is always good for a manufacturer to expand their portfolio, as it gives the customers who can afford these kind of cars more choice, and increases competition, which is always a good thing for us .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgehlot View Post
I don't see why this car is not for people in Delhi either, because the ban only pertains to Diesel cars, and this is a purebred petrol. There should be no reason people in Delhi can't buy this. Either way, a manufacturer not being able to sell a car only in one city, should definitely not stop the launch of a new car IMO.
Old 26th December 2015, 17:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post

As for the car, I personally love the way it looks. To my eyes, it looks much better than the BMW X6 M which is somewhat in the same category.
I get your point. At one point of time I used to be very excited but then looking at the ridiculous pricing only the Super Rich can buy it. There should be a plan to somehow price it right so that its affordable for some people. Selling 5 - 10 cars is barely a launch. Anyone can import these cars on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
+1 to amansanc

There is no loss for Mercedes Benz in launching this car, because it's not being manufactured in India, and they can always order one from the factory when someone orders one. Also, it is always good for a manufacturer to expand their portfolio, as it gives the customers who can afford these kind of cars more choice, and increases competition, which is always a good thing for us .

I don't see why this car is not for people in Delhi either, because the ban only pertains to Diesel cars, and this is a purebred petrol. There should be no reason people in Delhi can't buy this. Either way, a manufacturer not being able to sell a car only in one city, should definitely not stop the launch of a new car IMO.
Sorry my mistake. Its only applied for Diesel cars. But they should get more affordable AMG in India , so that at least petrol heads can enjoy it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th January 2016 at 10:37. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 26th December 2015, 20:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But they should get more affordable AMG in India , so that at least petrol heads can enjoy it.
I think you meant regular petrol one's , AMG are always going to be expensive . Yes going forward, if this ban continues we should see newer engines in Petrol by Germans , only issue that I can think is availability of premium Petrol which outside metros can be a concern , even within NCR there are hardly any pumps . Besides Petrol engines are more prone to damage over Diesel in case of adulteration .

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th December 2015 at 20:02.
Old 12th January 2016, 17:02   #8
BHPian

Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 AMG Coupe launched in India @ 86.4 Lakh. Source - NDTV Auto

Autocar has posted the India drive video as well.

Last edited by Safin : 12th January 2016 at 17:05.
Old 12th January 2016, 18:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes GLE 450 AMG Coupe launched at Rs. 86.40 lakh

Mercedes has launched its twelfth AMG product in India - the GLE 450 AMG Coupe, at a price of Rs. 86.40 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai).

The GLE 450 AMG Coupe is powered by a 3.0-litre, V6, bi-turbo engine, which produces 362 BHP and 520 Nm of torque. It is mated to a 9G-TRONIC 9-speed automatic transmission. The transmission comes with Dynamic Select technology, which offers the driver 5 modes - Individual, Comfort, Slippery, Sport and Sport Plus to choose from. Mercedes claims that the SUV will sprint from 0-100 kph in 5.7 seconds.

The exteriors of this car feature a single-slat front grille, AMG apron, chrome-finished front splitter, 21-inch AMG 5-spoke black alloy wheels, rear bumper with a chrome-finished skid plate, roof spoiler, dual exhaust (with a quad pipe look) and a sliding panoramic sunroof.

On the inside, it gets a 3-spoke multifunction, flat-bottomed steering wheel wrapped in Nappa leather, sports seats (front), brushed stainless steel pedals, sporty instrument cluster, ambient lighting package (3 colours) and an infotainment screen with an 8-inch display. The COMAND system includes navigation, voice commands as well as WLAN hotspot functionality. The infotainment screen also doubles up as a park assist display, giving the driver a 360 degree view around the vehicle thanks to four external cameras.

Safety features include 6 airbags, preventive occupant protection system, crosswind assist, attention assist, adaptive high beam assist plus and adaptive brake lights.

The GLE Coupe is available alongside the GLE-Class, which was launched in October 2015, in India.

Mercedes-Benz India imports GLE 450 AMG-rolandfolgermdceolaunchofgle450amgcoupe_1.jpg

Mercedes-Benz India imports GLE 450 AMG-rolandfolgermdceolaunchofgle450amgcoupe_3.jpg
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 05:06   #10
Team-BHP Support

now that's some very competitive pricing considering the fact that this is CBU . They have priced exceptionally well in my opinion charging little over regular GLE unlike BMW which had priced X6 at almost twice the prices of X5 base , they will surely find lot of buyers specially in NCR where they don't have anything to sell in this range due to Diesel Ban . By this strategy I am sure we are looking at some GLE Petrol Imports soon as well .
Old 13th January 2016, 11:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin View Post
Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 AMG Coupe launched in India @ 86.4 Lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Mercedes has launched its twelfth AMG product in India - the GLE 450 AMG Coupe, at a price of Rs. 86.40 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai).

They should have launched it with the revised-yet-again nomenclature that now refers to the AMG Sport models as Mercedes-AMG 'X'43. The X here would be the designated family the car is based on, like SLC43, C43, GLE43 and so on and will sit below the big, fat all-AMG 63 models.
The 43s will be all powered by a twin-turbo 3-liter petrol engine that sadly doesn't follow the 'one man-one engine' AMG rule but will still be called AMGs.

Source: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...sport-moniker/
Old 15th January 2016, 11:49   #12
BANNED

Re: Mercedes GLE 450 AMG Coupe launched at Rs. 86.40 lakh

Quote:
The GLE 450 AMG Coupe is powered by a 3.0-litre, V6, bi-turbo engine, which produces 362 BHP and 520 Nm of torque.
Hey S2, if I knew you were there, I'd have definitely met you. It's always a pleasure to meet another enthusiast and a BHPian.

I informed GTO about the correction needed in the specifications. Must have slipped out of his mind.

The power output mentioned is five less than official. 362 is for the AMG variants of A class and its chassis counterparts.
Old 17th January 2016, 15:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Hey S2, if I knew you were there, I'd have definitely met you. It's always a pleasure to meet another enthusiast and a BHPian.

I informed GTO about the correction needed in the specifications. Must have slipped out of his mind.

The power output mentioned is five less than official. 362 is for the AMG variants of A class and its chassis counterparts.
Hi MaheshY1,

I wasn't there at the event. Got the details from the press release.

362 BHP is the correct figure. This car produces 270 kW which translates to 362.076 BHP.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 15:28   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Hi MaheshY1,

I wasn't there at the event. Got the details from the press release.

362 BHP is the correct figure. This car produces 270 kW which translates to 362.076 BHP.
Haha. Sorry about that. Looks like guys at Merc don't want to admit their horses are 11 Watts weaker than English horses.
(1 PS = 735.5 W, 1 HP = 746.7 W; according to Wolfram Alpha)

Or, may be, they literally translated Pferdestärke (a.k.a. PS.)
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz India imports GLE 450 AMG-merc-bro.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks