Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2015, 09:06   #61
BHPian

re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I wish there shouldn't be any cheat code to disable the cluster warning when there is a failure & the vehicle is in drive mode

Keep us updated on what is being done actually on the car.
Ha-ha I hope that is not the case. I have booked an appointment for Saturday morning. She also said that the work will be carried out in less than 2 hours.

I will keep you posted.
paddu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 09:17   #62
Senior - BHPian

re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

These times are not the best for VW. Cheating with emission norms on a global scale, the scale is huge and would take timelines upto near-end of 2016 for rectification.

The immediate, though expected to be temporary, halt on delivery of Polo is not confidence inspiring at all. Trust, which takes years to build, takes a breach when a potential buyer is in a new car market. However, what makes me wonder how come Vento is not affected by this ? Vento and Polo share a lot of parts as we all know. Agreed, we are not having details on the cause of concern, Vento remaining unaffected is a surprise for atleast me. Polo is one of the best built hatchback in its segment, and least compromised structure. I hope they come out of this mess stronger.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th October 2015 at 09:30.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 09:29   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's a huge issue.

Recent buyers are worried.

Those about to buy wont. Or will, at least, postpone.

It might not have been such a big issue if all the information had come out at once. The way that it has, especially in the current VW climate, it's hard to think of anything worse. Or worse handled.
Thad, not just recent buyers. Existing owners will potentially suffer catastrophic resale value for their vehicles. The Indian second-hand market (like so many other things in India), is significantly influenced by such events leading to extreme volatility in pricing; even if based on totally unfounded and irrelevant issues!

I can just visualize second-hand car dealers pursing their lips and offering much less than what a seller would expect.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 09:35   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Some further clues: http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/1...0S117I20151007

"Technical issues" cited by VW for this non time-bound sales pause of the Polo.

In the same article, VW has also said they are not sure how long will it take for them to complete the analysis.

And If technical issue is with India specific POLO, why should analysis be done by headquarters?

Seems like emission scandal resulted in some internal audit and it has opened a can of worms which are potentially dangerous.

Simple/Minor issues do not require a drastic response like stop delivery.
Old 8th October 2015, 09:41   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This has got to be the most badly handled episode ever! Owners, dealers and everyone else is confused. VW's latest statement does nothing to offer clarity....clarity which is the NEED OF THE HOUR:

Quote:
​Hi,

Please find the statement attributed to the official spokesperson from Volkswagen Passenger Cars India:

Volkswagen India has confirmed a temporary hold on deliveries of its carline Polo due to a technical reason which is currently under evaluation. This concerns a limited number of cars out of a specific production period. Volkswagen further confirms that deliveries for the non-impacted Polo range continues as per schedule.

Volkswagen would like to clarify that the temporary hold on deliveries is not related to the ongoing EA 189 diesel engine topic.
Old 8th October 2015, 09:50   #66
Team-BHP Support

At a time when people are already not trusting VW for anything and doubt everything they do, this is a disaster.

After the dieselgate scandal, some VW owners as well as prospective buyers are wondering what else have they cheated on. This new Polo thing makes it even worse.

Rather than hiding the issue, they should be open about it. Such vague communications from VW will make people lose whatever confidence or trust they had left.

There's a saying to kick someone when they're down. In this case VW is kicking themselves when they are down. Self inflicted. Sad.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 09:57   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
I got a call from VW yesterday. They told me that as my car was a 1.5 TDI , the ECU has to be "reprogrammed". They said my chasis number has been identified as the car which has to be recalled.
This reminds me of a joke is circulating on whatsapp:
As long as mechanical engineers were managing automobiles, there was no scandal.
Software engineers have corrupted cars too.

Jokes apart, how Old is your car?
just to understand if this is the reason for suspension of deliveries.
If your car is more than a year old, then the reason for suspension might be something else.

Quote:
They said they are doing this under goodwill.
When you want to to cover up something in a product you have sold that was done by your mistake yet sound as though you are doing a big favour to the person who bought it, you have to use the term 'Goodwill'

One Italian brand which lost the faith of Indian customers is still fighting to make an impression. I just hope and wish VW doesn't face the same fate.
Because these two brands are the only ones which give at least something for the car enthusiasts to cheer about
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 10:01   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I got a call from VW yesterday. They told me that as my car was a 1.5 TDI , the ECU has to be "reprogrammed". They said my chasis number has been identified as the car which has to be recalled.
Whats the Month and Year of Mfg? GT or non-GT?

I have a feeling that the ECU reprogramming may have something to do with VW emissions scandal. Please keep us posted.

As per news reports the "stop delivery" order is not for a completely different issue.
Old 8th October 2015, 10:11   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This reminds me of a joke is circulating on whatsapp:
Jokes apart, how Old is your car?
just to understand if this is the reason for suspension of deliveries.
If your car is more than a year old, then the reason for suspension might be something else.

When you want to to cover up something in a product you have sold that was done by your mistake yet sound as though you are doing a big favour to the person who bought it, you have to use the term 'Goodwill'

One Italian brand which lost the faith of Indian customers is still fighting to make an impression. I just hope and wish VW doesn't face the same fate.
Because these two brands are the only ones which give at least something for the car enthusiasts to cheer about

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Whats the Month and Year of Mfg? GT or non-GT?

I have a feeling that the ECU reprogramming may have something to do with VW emissions scandal. Please keep us posted.

As per news reports the "stop delivery" order is not for a completely different issue.
My car is 6 months old. The manufacture month is March, 2015. It has been plagued by steering rack/column issues already.
The lady on the phone used the 1.5 TDI repetitively. I wonder if it is something to with the non-GT TDI variants? Mine is not GT-TDI.
These issues apart, I still love the Polo for the sheer driving pleasure it provides. Hope they get it sorted soon and do not got the Fiat way!
Old 8th October 2015, 10:18   #70
Senior - BHPian

Unless I know what they are re-programming, I would not take the car for flashing the ECU. If it is for the dieselgate scandal, then one would loose out on mileage after the re-programming.

I guess this would be the mindset for most of the TDI owners.

This particular thread started by OP would pertain to only polo petrol / diesel variants, so this must be more generic and specific to polo than dieselgate.
Old 8th October 2015, 10:19   #71
BHPian

Quote:
My car is 6 months old. The manufacture month is March, 2015. It has been plagued by steering rack/column issues already.
The lady on the phone used the 1.5 TDI repetitively. I wonder if it is something to with the non-GT TDI variants? Mine is not GT-TDI.
These issues apart, I still love the Polo for the sheer driving pleasure it provides. Hope they get it sorted soon and do not got the Fiat way!
Diesel GT is also the same 1.5 engine in a different state of tune.
If you happen to talk to VW SA/Engineers please probe them if this issue is related to emissions or is it related to the "stop delivery" issue.

All the best @paddu. Enjoy the drive, thats the beauty of that car.
Old 8th October 2015, 10:26   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

People are wondering why the Vento is unaffected given its shared heritage with the Polo. I suspect the issue is not that a particular part has a problem, instead it is an assembly line problem.

It might be the case that a particular assembly line faced an issue, and it was running off Polos for the duration the problem went undetected.
arunphilip is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 10:31   #73
BHPian

A lot of owners of the recently delivered Polos will be very jittery, wondering how big a technical issue this is and if their cars are vulnerable. Certainly not good times for the brand. I now have second thoughts about my next car being a VW.
Old 8th October 2015, 10:41   #74
BHPian

Am i the only one who finds the below line from their statement contradictory with their direction to the dealers.
"Volkswagen further confirms that deliveries for the non-impacted Polo range continues as per schedule"

The one line terse statement from Volkswagen to dealers was categoric that the delivery of all variants of Polo were to be stopped

If all variants of Polo are to be stopped, which are the non impacted ones. They are making themselves look very amateurish.

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 8th October 2015 at 10:48.
Old 8th October 2015, 10:57   #75
BANNED

This isn't about the Polo.

1. It's about human psychology - when news is incomplete, rumour mills fill in the gaps - eg: This thread.

2. It's about MISMANAGEMENT by the head honchos at VW by not anticipating a possible fall out when they release such directions to dealers.

3. It's also about an INCOMPETENT Corporate Communications wing at VW India.

Like the Germans, the Indians at VW try to hide incompetence in management behind superior engineering.

That trick isn't even working for the Germans anymore.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed