Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2015, 11:15   #76
BHPian

re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

It might be the case that a particular assembly line faced an issue, and it was running off Polos for the duration the problem went undetected.
At Chakan plant, VW uses same assembly line for Polo/Vento/Rapid.
The cars arrive is a random order (its random for humans, computer may be having a sequence). Infact LHD and RHD share the same assembly line. A Blue Vento can be on the line after a White Polo and a Red Rapid.

Its not like the good old days when only one colour/model was assembled per shift.

Now its possible that all Polos manufactured during a particular period are affected, but this will more likely be an issue with Vendor part or the welding/glass/adhesive issue.

Wild imagination...
(Just an example)
A human on the assembly line just forgot to put in a screw for 1 month. May be the trainer missed telling this.. or the new technician was just lazy to pay attention.
The QA didn't notice this b'ca the screw was hidden or had no immediate structural impact.

Now the "management" has to find out which shift/dates was that person on the line. If 2-3 people at that station across shifts have done the same mistake (got trained by the same trainer) its going to take a lot of time to even find out what batches are affected. Then they run a check of which Vehicle went to which dealer.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:21   #77

I am expecting my Polo to be delivered in the last week of October. I spoke to the SA today and he confirmed that they have suspended the deliveries due to the on going diesel gate and not related to any other issues. He informed me that the cars have been subjected to emmisson tests and they are waiting for the results. Deliveries might commence from next week.
Pravinzs77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:26   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravinzs77 View Post
I am expecting my Polo to be delivered in the last week of October. I spoke to the SA today and he confirmed that they have suspended the deliveries due to the on going diesel gate and not related to any other issues. He informed me that the cars have been subjected to emmisson tests and they are waiting for the results. Deliveries might commence from next week.
If so why is the sale of petrol variants of Polo suspended?
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:31   #79
BHPian

Quote:
There's something more to this. If it is the diesel scam, the Vento and other higher model car deliveries would also have been put on hold. This seems to be really fishy. Emission tests should be performed across all cars. The earlier VW come out, the better.
Old 8th October 2015, 11:35   #80
BHPian

I heard something about an issue with the braking systems in a certain batch. Can the better connected verify this? - Else, this may taken as unverified info.
Old 8th October 2015, 11:36   #81
BHPian

Will this news of VW stopping physical delivery of Polos be such an alarming news, if the news of VW cheating emission standards in US were not out?
I believe everyone would have praised integrity of VW, for voluntarily stopping deliveries, when something wrong was found in their factories! We all would have told, VW is a highly trustworthy company and have high standards of quality and they cannot miss out even a small issue, due to which even the deliveries are stopped! No one would have had a single doubt!
We all believe that product recalls are good, because, before it results in some sort of dangerous results, the company did a recall to fix the issue. VW went to the next level, by stopping the delivery itself, and when the car is delivered, the problem found would have been already addressed!

But, what should have given VW a positive publicity, has now changed into a PR nightmare, in the wake of the emission issue. Getting a good name for oneself is very difficult and time consuming, but once you have got yourself a name as a dubious company, then every small mistake you do will be blown out of proportion, and will only act as a negative news.

By the way, it remains to be seen when VW will start giving free gold offer to clear out stock. (Datsun started it, and Tata followed it, now I feel VW seems the next candidate)
hybridpetrol is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:38   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Also if that is the case then why Vento and Jetta are allowed for delivery?
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:43   #83
BHPian

Tough time ahead for VW and maybe for us owners as well. I am planning to sell my 2012 VW Vento but it seems I need to wait for some more time till the dust settles down. I have already faced dealers who are quoting some ridiculous amount for my car citing the current situation and claiming that I may not even get this amount after a couple of months.

I am in a fix now to decide on whether I shall wait,sell or keep the car
Old 8th October 2015, 11:52   #84
BHPian

I was in the VW workshop 15 minutes back.
The lady at the reception was the one who had called me for the recall. When I asked about it, she pulled out a list of vehicles in which my vehicle number was also there. I think there were a total of 5 records that I saw. She had nothing more to tell other than ECU programming.
I had got a dent on my car yesterday so have given the car to their body shop. I think the ECU programming or whatever it is will be carried out too.
Old 8th October 2015, 11:56   #85
BHPian

This is definitely alarming news if not for general public - at least for Volkswagen Polo owners and customers already in the middle of the buying process as there is absolutely no doubt that this one liner email from VW raises the anxiety levels.

But after the recent earth shattering emission episode ( which will never be forgotten no matter what VAG does henceforth) , it is quite plausible that such a big company will be on tenterhooks to ensure no similar ( lesser or bigger) problem occurs ANYWHERE in the world - so this particular issue with the Polo in India could be more as a result of hightened level of alarm in VAG India officials to ensure not even a minor issue passes their eyes and affects their customers.

It is quite clear that the issue may be localized to a certain batch of Polo's only and soon VAG will come out with the clarification and will offer suitable work around / rectification - we just need to be patient till then.

Polo is a great car and one of the well built hatches right now in India, lets not forget that - so no reason for undue worry esp dear VAG customers ( existing and on the way) - I think all will turn out well.
Old 8th October 2015, 12:25   #86
BHPian

My cousin took delivery of a petrol Polo Highline in Bangalore a few days back. I just spoke to him. Apparently he was told by the dealer today that some batches of Polo have an issue with the handbrake and hence the stoppage of deliveries.

VW is not doing any favour to themselves with all this subterfuge. Worst way to handle a crisis.
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 12:41   #87
BHPian

While this appears to be not a major issue, but Volkswagen India has not cleared the air on the same. Given the bigger emission scandal situation, they should have sent out a clear communication to affected customers and to dealers.

It appears based on few posts from the owners that service center is not able to explain the exact technical issue that will have to be addressed (ECU re-programming / leaking windshield / handbrake etc). Should the owner be not explained before they do any update to the vehicle?

It is not too late now to give out a clear communication VW India. Please wake up
Old 8th October 2015, 12:43   #88
BHPian

Classical example of poor communication leaving the gates open for speculation. Where I used to work, we had a dedicated team looking at crisis & change management and believe me when I say this, those guys were good. If VW had invested in such a team in India, they would have ensured this wouldn't have happened. But then typically this team is an "overhead" and not a "profit center" and hence is easy to overlook. Hope this mess gets sorted out soon.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 13:44   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Various reports indicate an issue with the brakes,

Quote:
Our sources inform us that there is an issue with the brakes of a certain batch of the Polo and hence the deliveries have been suspended with immediate effect.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/10/car...spended-india/
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 14:11   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Various reports indicate an issue with the brakes,

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/10/car...spended-india/
If this is true, they need to be really upfront about the issue and the specific batch of cars involved. If some of them have already been sold, the unsuspecting users might be driving around putting lives at risk.

Apart from that, think of all the other people who have bought Polos that are not faulty. Until the batch of cars that is faulty has been identified, those owners will be unnecessarily stressed out as well.

Overall, it is great that VW has identified the issue and is taking steps to fix it, but their communication and handling of the matter has been very poor, and the local management is probably to blame for that.

Last edited by chncar : 8th October 2015 at 14:13.

Most Viewed