Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2015, 14:45   #91
BHPian

The SA from Volkswagen Lucknow called and gave me this info, a total of 475 cars are affected by this technical issue. The dealers have been informed about the VINs of the cars and apparently Lucknow got 11 such cars, some have been delivered already. The SA said that GTs are affected too and they have not been told about the exact issue. The management is trying to sort it out before Navratras begin."
He said that he will keep me posted as and when he gets more news.
The issue with brakes may well be true.... In that case, I think it's only right for VW to be more forthcoming about it as some cars are already on the roads.
docsinghal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 14:50   #92
BHPian

I took delivery of my 1.5 TDI in the last week of Aug and this news has left me really shocked and disappointed.

I called my dealer today and he seemed perplexed I called him proactively. At first he seemed confused what I was talking about and later went on to say the problem was related to dieselgate (had to inform him VW has categorically stated the issues are unrelated). He then told me they are going to update the software on the ECU of a few models and that he'd let me know if my car is affected.

:(
Old 8th October 2015, 14:55   #93
BHPian

re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I don't know why they cant just say stop delivery instead of stop physical delivery. For a moment there I thought they had other types of delivery (like virtual delivery - downloadable cars, anyone?) and were only stopping 'physical deliveries'

'Stop all deliveries' is simple enough and to the point.
Hahaha!
Yes, its the fashion now to use this sort of language. Another much abused corporate phrase is 'revert back'.
VW management needs some lessons in damage control and the english language, looks like.
Old 8th October 2015, 16:01   #94
Team-BHP Support

re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

Guess there are two issues here-

1. A technical issue with brakes that has forced Volkswagen to stop delivery of Polo cars. This is applicable to all Polo models.

I doubt the figure of 475 cars since Lucknow dealer alone can't have 11 cars in that case. It should be at least a 5k figure IMO.

2. A silent recall for the 1.5l TDi for some ECU remap. No confirmation from VW on this, and not clear if it has anything to do with the diesel gate scandal and the proposed ARAI investigations.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 16:06   #95

I took delivery of a Polo GT TSI in August (took an early delivery than planned October-end delivery as suddenly one became available due to cancellation) and was so happy that I got an early delivery of the updated GT (with cruise control and other added features). So many research had been done on the mods I wish to do and most of the orders are in pipeline (already bought a GTI steering wheel and it's in transit from Mexico). Yesterday's news literally put water on the fire in me. I think I will hold on to the planned mods until VW gives us a clear cut answer to the current mayhem created by them. But if you ask me whether I am really scared/panicked/shocked with the current developments??? Of course NOT!!! I still love to drive a GT TSI
Old 8th October 2015, 16:08   #96
BHPian

<Speculation alert>

Earlier this year there were issues with the brakes of Suzuki Celerio, and the sales were suspended with immediate effect. That makes me believe that this decision is also based on some finding related to the mechanicals. Issue with brakes (or associated components) seems quite plausible. VW won't risk their brand equity by stalling sales for a leaking windshield, etc. especially at this point.

If the issue requires immediate suspension of sales then they must contact the existing owners of cars manufactured in the affected batch(es). Hope integrity precedes over corporate greed or insecurity, and no lives are risked.
Biraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 16:39   #97
BHPian

My thoughts on this latest VW shocker:
Stopping deliveries, sorry physical deliveries by issuing single liner notice to all dealers is not a joke. Especially in INDIA (where the law enforcement or certification agencies are very weak, if not the weakest). This one liner notice is leading to lot of speculation and causing further damage to the reamaining reputation

Some may appreciate that VW is proactive in the wake of emission scandal, but the probabilty is very bleak. Because
1. In India they can easily get away with small or negligible fines for any violations of emissions or safety.
2. VW won't stop deliveries for faulty brakes, improper installation of windshield, ECU remap etc.
3. VW and Skoda are very popular for silent recall be it injector issues or engine mount issues

My two cents.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 8th October 2015 at 16:41.
Old 8th October 2015, 16:47   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Wild imagination...
(Just an example)
A human on the assembly line just forgot to put in a screw for 1 month. May be the trainer missed telling this.. or the new technician was just lazy to pay attention.
The QA didn't notice this b'ca the screw was hidden or had no immediate structural impact.

Now the "management" has to find out which shift/dates was that person on the line. If 2-3 people at that station across shifts have done the same mistake (got trained by the same trainer) its going to take a lot of time to even find out what batches are affected. Then they run a check of which Vehicle went to which dealer.
1. As confirmed by BHPian Paddu, his March 2015 manufactured car is a part of the recall.
2. Stopping deliveries of Polo's currently in Dealer yards

Best case assumption, issues with the Jan 2015 till date manufactured Polo's

Its definitely not a 1-2 month thing.
Old 8th October 2015, 17:30   #99

For all we know, VW India got an earful from Angela Merkel during her recent visit?
I am part of the gang who has booked a GT TSI and waiting.
-Raghu
Old 8th October 2015, 17:40   #100
Senior - BHPian

They have not stopped bookings which means they are confident in rectifying things fast or is already near rectified; a fix is in sight. But why ALL Polo (petrol and diesel, if it is related to emissions!) and NO Vento (mostly similar to the Polo!) is the intriguing question?

Is there any site to check our VIN for this recall?

Can anybody being recalled check with this diesel-affect site too?
Old 8th October 2015, 17:45   #101
Senior - BHPian

I have had my 1.6 GT TDI for over 15 months and ~22k kms and have loved every bit of my ownership. However, in the last 1k kms, the notorious 'Shuddering' on braking from high speed has creeped into my car as well.

I may be totally wrong here, but considering some reports about a hand brake issue for this sudden hault in Polo, could one of the following be a clue:

- I had an issue with my handbrake last year where the audio/visual alert would flash even if I had disengaged the same. The then SA told me that such issues were sporadic. Could this have to do something with the latest Polos?

- Heard from a very reliable source that VW have started using better brake rotors/pads, which were earlier from TVS. Probably, the latest batch of Polos may have these updated? Unsure if the Ventos have already been updated though.

Irrespective of the outcome, I only hope that VW come clean on this and do not spoil access of a wonderful product to all the prospective customers.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th October 2015 at 17:47.
Old 8th October 2015, 18:35   #102
BHPian

Oh snap, with the Volkswagen scandal and now this, I think the chances of them launching the GTI this year are very slim to none.

Sucks if you're in the market hoping or waiting for one.
Old 8th October 2015, 19:01   #103
BHPian

This is what Reuters is reporting on their Twitter handle.
Name:  Screenshot 20151008 19.01.12.png
Views: 3733
Size:  24.6 KB
Name:  Screenshot 20151008 19.02.22.png
Views: 3703
Size:  20.2 KB
Name:  Screenshot 20151008 19.03.22.png
Views: 3727
Size:  24.4 KB

Last edited by SumitB : 8th October 2015 at 19:03.
SumitB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 19:03   #104

My 5 month old Polo TDI is due for 7500km service now. I am apprehensive about taking it to the service center now! I don't want them to 'update' anything if they are not transparent about what they are going to do.

I will pay a visit to the service center tomorrow and see if I can get an inside scoop of what's happening!
Old 8th October 2015, 19:13   #105
Senior - BHPian

So if the Reuters reports are true, a temporary preventive measure would be to engage the gear(if not practiced), along with the handbrake when parked.

I have a August built Polo in the family, so waiting for any type of recall.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks