Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2015, 12:49   #46
BHPian

Re: September 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks Aditya for the post. Month on month tracking clearly shows stiff competition for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th spots between Honda/MM/TATA and TOYOTA.

Maruti is more Indian than Japanese, in my opinion. If we take that, the pie chart showing region-wise distribution would skew towards India

Hyundai still has its roots in Korea. They get all their containers for ECUs, DCUs and TCUs from korea. Maybe other engine, power electronics and chassis control systems come from there too. As for the features, they clearly recognize the "aur kya hai isme" mentality of many car buyers, whether that feature is used or not. The amount of 'default fault codes' coming out of OBD of Hyundai ECUs will show the usage pattern of these features.
As for the European friends, Indian market is a steep climb.

@Aditya - like last time, would it be possible to get the luxury segment numbers as well please? Those are the high margin machines i feel.

Toyota is playing like what Honda was 2 years back - ageing product line, just facial make ups and no specific breakthrough innovations, in my opinion. New products are being planned, but from what i gather reading news bits is that, they want to concentrate on a C2 level sedan. If that happens, lot of people would chew their boots.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 14:16   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
The new Ford effect on the Fortuner? I simply can't understand the relationship between the Jetta and Octi. Seems like they have decided to play hide and seek with each other. What an Auto Tranny could have done to the S-Cross! So many City being sold, don't match as much as on the road, where is it selling? TUV deliveries have begun, I have not seen one (only TD vehicles) on the road so far.
Just yesterday I saw some TUV300 car, with proper number plate fitted. It looked imposing, and had a very muscular stance on the road.
Many Cretas are already seen on the road. New Jazz is also seen here and there running.
Did not spot any Aspire / new Figo on road.
The interesting thing is, I have not seen any S-Cross so far on road, though I daily see them parked in the Nexa showrooms.
Are they converting all their inventory into sales?
While Hyundai has received tremendous response for Creta due to its smaller Santa Fe image, Maruti has received lukewarm response for S-Cross due to its bigger Swift image.

Other factors I think pulled the legs of S-Cross are:
a) No safety kit even in top variant. Two airbags won't work for a premium car.
b) Non availability of Petrol variants
c) Non availability of Automatic
d) Engine is same as Swift. The 1.6L engine is expensive in comparison to Creta. 1.6L engine is not promoted by the dealers well.
e) Nexa branding working against (Non Popularity, as well as Premium badging)
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 14:18   #48
BHPian

A few interesting observations:

1. Nissan Evalia was doing single digit sales for months at a stretch but has suddenly sold 62 vehicles last month! Its not an earth-shattering number but it still is like coming back from the oblivion.

2. The dieselgate happened around Sept 18th. So almost half the month was still available for buyers to make their decision. Jetta, in spite of zero discounts and the negative publicity, still managed to see a 52% increase in sales. What is even more surprising is that Elantra saw a 42% drop in sales. Corolla Altis has seen a drop too. Will be interesting to see what October has in store for these cars.

3. I am actually a little worried for Aspire. I expected them to do at least 4K this month, if not slightly more. They can't be settling at the 3K mark so soon, the new Ford Figo introduction notwithstanding. In my opinion, Ford is on the right path with the Figo and Aspire. Hope they bear fruit.

Last edited by achyu : 13th October 2015 at 14:25. Reason: Added another observation.
achyu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 14:24   #49
BHPian

I don't think Kwid will be able to have a major dent in Alto numbers. People buy Alto for the peace of mind and Suzuki's wide network. There sales number come from tier 2 and 3 cities where Renault hardly has any presence. Kwid should sell in Tier 1 cities well but it would never be enough to have significant dent on Alto numbers.
Old 13th October 2015, 14:26   #50
BHPian

@hybridpetrol Couldn't agree with you more on the Toyota failure.

Though they were the top global automaker in 2014, they should have paid more attention to the Indian market in the lower, B and C segments. It's not like they don't have the vehicle to do it. The Aygo and Yaris could easily fit in. If Hyundai and Honda were able to localise for the i20 and the Jazz, why not Toyota?

Strategy gone wrong.

The Liva and Etios feel and look like cars from the 90's, not something that could compete with modern designs.
Old 13th October 2015, 14:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

S-cross numbers are not really bad actually considering it is sold only from Nexa showrooms. They are very limited in numbers compared to normal Maruti showrooms, which are large in numbers across India. Actually number of vehiles they are selling for S-cross right now is good as showrooms are limited. We will get the correct picture may be after one year when they will have most of their Nexa showrooms open and fully functional. Also Baleno will make sure that more and more people visits Nexa showrooms.
Old 13th October 2015, 14:58   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Will the person who bought the Grand Vitara last month please stand up?
I think it's either old stock leaving the premises and / or delivery to someone internal (company exec / dealership owner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
You forgot Verna's sales performance will making above statement. It is a pain to see such a good looking car not showing any presence in the sales chart.
Old is NOT gold. In the million rupee segment, the older your product, the less the interest around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Creta smashing through to the top and maintaining is amazing to see. High price? Definitely yes, but once again Hyundai proves why the right kind of quality, looks and marketing will go a long way in to the hearts of Indian buyers.
The Creta is the only 'can't go wrong' choice in the 15 lakh SUV segment. It's got all the major points going for it (brand, looks, after-sales, space, FE etc.). Its price is a lakh too much and some features are missing, but the lack of competition from Maruti / Honda / Toyota means the Creta is having a field day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khushrav View Post
Also, last month there were sales details on the luxury segment too. When would those be added?
Whatever we get, we publish. Unfortunately, the luxury car makers haven't shared their numbers this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Xcent has just barely managed to hang on to the top 20 after heavy discounts. Its quite an underrated vehicle I should say.
This is more to do with a company's bandwidth than the product itself. Hyundai has been awfully busy with the Grand i10, Elite i20, Creta etc. The Xcent simply didn't get the support it deserved from the company.

Similar thing with Ford happening. They just don't have the talent or management bandwidth to handle the Aspire & Figo together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
Cannot believe the OMNI still sells around 6K units per month, a dangerous car to be driving in.
Can we please not overdo the safety thing on entirely unrelated threads? The Omni offers you the maximum sq ft for the buck. It is one heck of a commercial vehicle.

Are rickshaws safe? Is the Tata Ace safe? What safer alternative is there to the Omni in the same price range & with similar cargo capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Toyota just behaves like an American return Indian, finding small cars difficult to drive.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 16:12   #53
BHPian

I have been puzzled why Amaze is able to sell so much while Jazz is there at the same price. I wanted to see through the minds of a person walking up to Honda showroom and making a decision to buy Amaze instead of Jazz. The negatives of Amaze against Jazz:
- Both are of same length.
- Priced same.
- Interior space is much larger in Jazz.
- Amaze has bigger trunk space, but Jazz has enough to satisfy most needs.
- Amaze is based on Brio and Jazz is based on City platform - a segment above overall.
- Amaze has speed limiter of 140 kmph while Jazz has no such limit.
- Jazz is speced better.
- Jazz automatic box is better than Amaze.
- Jazz is better looking than Amaze.

What do you guys think are the reasons behind people still buying Amaze instead of Jazz?
opendro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 16:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
What do you guys think are the reasons behind people still buying Amaze instead of Jazz?
Amaze is a "SEDAN". It's a "badi gaadi", whereas Jazz is just a hatch.

Parth46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 16:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I have been puzzled why Amaze is able to sell so much while Jazz is there at the same price. I wanted to see through the minds of a person walking up to Honda showroom and making a decision to buy Amaze instead of Jazz. The negatives of Amaze against Jazz:
You forgot one major point: the interiors of Jazz are clearly a segment or two above that of Amaze.

As for your question, it has something to do with the Dzire selling close to 20K every month for no foreseeable reason!
avisidhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 16:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
End of the day, Amaze is a sedan albeit entry level. While Jazz is a hatchback. They belong to different segments and appeal to different people. Another factor may be that Amaze is tried and tested and comes with discounts whereas the Jazz is still relatively new, with no offers or discounts whatsoever.
Old 13th October 2015, 16:25   #57
BHPian

avisidhu, I can understand if someone has more faith in Maruti and thus buying DZire. I'm only trying to understand how buyers decide between Amaze and Jazz. Same brand and same price tag (Amaze is just about 10K cheaper).
Old 13th October 2015, 16:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
avisidhu, I can understand if someone has more faith in Maruti and thus buying DZire. I'm only trying to understand how buyers decide between Amaze and Jazz. Same brand and same price tag (Amaze is just about 10K cheaper).
If you try to apply logic then Jazz is clearly the better pick unless one specifically needs a bigger boot at the cost of interior space. As mentioned above, there seems to be bigger discounts being offered for Amaze (none for Jazz), which bring the price below that of the Jazz and that definitely has some influence on the Amaze numbers. Also the waiting period on some models/Colours of the Jazz could also push a few numbers towards the Amaze.
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 17:32   #59
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, thanks for the wonderful report, as always eye for detail very evident

After all the recent hype about big launches like the Creta and S-Cross, quite surprising to me that on the one hand we have Creta selling in great numbers and at #8 while the S-Cross doesn't even figure in the Top 20 (remember both the Creta and S-Cross were priced quite outrageously but the market seems to be loving one and hating the other!).
Interesting times ahead!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th October 2015 at 08:33. Reason: Corrected as requested.
Old 13th October 2015, 17:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Most of the members seem to missing the fact that the S-Cross is sold from a very less number of outlets compared to the Creta.

As the outlets increase, S-Cross might see more numbers as well. Still 3.5K is a decent number for this product.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed