Team-BHP - Mahindra working on 4-door e2o. UPDATE: Named 'e2oPlus'
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mahindra working on 4-door e2o. UPDATE: Named 'e2oPlus' (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/169281-mahindra-working-4-door-e2o-update-named-e2oplus.html)

Mod Note: Our e2oPlus Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Mahindra has revealed that it is working on a four-door version of the E2O for export markets.

Pawan Goenka, Executive Director of Mahindra & Mahindra expressed the company's plans to develop a four-door version of its electric small car, E2O to cater to the European markets. This four-door variant is likely to be introduced by mid 2016 and the company also plans to set up a distribution centre in the United Kingdom.

A four-door will add that much more practicality to this tiny city car. While it might not be too spacious for rear passengers, the extra doors will aid ingress / egress which isn't the most convenient (as expected out of a two-door). It is likely that the four-door variant might also be sold in India (although there is no confirmation regarding the same).

The government's FAME initiative has had a positive impact on the sales of this electric car, which are claimed to have doubled, ever since.

The FAME subsidy on the E20 is available across 8 cities - Bangalore, Delhi, Jaipur, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune and Thane. The ex-showroom price for Mumbai is Rs. 4.99 lakh + Rs. 2,999 / month for 5 years or Rs. 6.77 lakh.

Source: ET Auto

I would love to have one. Too bad its not for the domestic market. Getting into the rear seat is is a task for the elderly people in the current version. That was the sole reason for giving it a pass. I think its time for a face lift for the E2O too. Four door, better suspension/ride quality (based on the reviews here in tbhp) and a little more ground clearance and I am ready.

Even after this much needed facelift, the Achilles heel for e2o is the range. Unless this issue is addressed to the satisfaction of the end consumer, there is no future of this car - M & M can try whatever they have in their arsenal.

The easiest solution is a plonk a petrol electricity generator, which can be switch on whenever the car is required for a long drive so that it keeps the battery at float or atleast extend the range of the car.

They can also consider replacing the roof with solar panel and the rear glass with translucent solar panel. The cost will come down with volumes to make it a true urban commuter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3826284)
Mahindra has revealed that it is working on a four-door version of the E2O for export markets.

Instead, they could have exported this 2-door version, and sell the 4-door version here.
If you want middle class also to spend on EVs, then they should be complete hatchbacks at least to be of some use in the city. 2-door versions are tricky to use, and impractical to seat 4 in the cabin.
Of course, EVs are to be seen with a lot of parameters, and E2O is a major step ahead in the EV market in India. Still, number of doors is also one of the parameters than can be considered deal breaker here.
Hope E2O improves the range soon. If they can provide a week long charge, about 300 km without a recharge, and a full charge within 4 hours, it will be a useful one, and can even compete with the likes of Nano AMT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by human_wheels (Post 3826304)
Getting into the rear seat is is a task for the elderly people in the current version. That was the sole reason for giving it a pass. I think its time for a face lift for the E2O too. Four door, better suspension/ride quality (based on the reviews here in tbhp) and a little more ground clearance and I am ready.

+1. Absolutely, this is exactly what is needed for the facelift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i74js (Post 3826330)
Even after this much needed facelift, the Achilles heel for e2o is the range. Unless this issue is addressed to the satisfaction of the end consumer, there is no future of this car - M & M can try whatever they have in their arsenal.

The easiest solution is a plonk a petrol electricity generator, which can be switch on whenever the car is required for a long drive so that it keeps the battery at float or atleast extend the range of the car.

They can also consider replacing the roof with solar panel and the rear glass with translucent solar panel. The cost will come down with volumes to make it a true urban commuter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hybridpetrol (Post 3826331)
Hope E2O improves the range soon. If they can provide a week long charge, about 300 km without a recharge, and a full charge within 4 hours, it will be a useful one, and can even compete with the likes of Nano AMT.

Honestly I dont think its the range that one needs to be worried about. Its never meant to be a long distance running car, but rather a perfect CITY car and thats about it. I use the e2o for my daily city runabouts and mine is not even 120 KMs. Its 80 Kms range and it suits perfectly for my needs. Even the 180MM Ground clearance that it currently comes with is more than adequate in Bangalore, which is considered as the city of humps.

The biggest concern is with the horrible suspension and its mainly due to the single rod suspension at the rear. I strongly wish that Mahindra Reva concentrates on the negatives of the current car and make it better for the domestic market, rather than looking at other options . Add to my current woes, I moved to a new place where there are absolutely worst roads to none and I am already looking at alternatives for my daily drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samabhi (Post 3826478)
Honestly I dont think its the range that one needs to be worried about. Its never meant to be a long distance running car, but rather a perfect CITY car and thats about it. I use the e2o for my daily city runabouts and mine is not even 120 KMs. Its 80 Kms range and it suits perfectly for my needs. Even the 180MM Ground clearance that it currently comes with is more than adequate in Bangalore, which is considered as the city of humps.

The biggest concern is with the horrible suspension and its mainly due to the single rod suspension at the rear. I strongly wish that Mahindra Reva concentrates on the negatives of the current car and make it better for the domestic market, rather than looking at other options . Add to my current woes, I moved to a new place where there are absolutely worst roads to none and I am already looking at alternatives for my daily drive.

The suitable range depends on how long one will travel per day, within the city. What I meant was, it should be possible to charge it on a weekly basis, even if you get caught up for your work schedule during the weekdays, and your usual travel is 50 km per day.
Apart from this, there are many known reasons why many would not buy a EV.
a) Shift to another city - No support for EV. (Charge stations, service etc)
b) Travel has to be planned more carefully. Not possible to increase the range on the go (like filling petrol)
c) Battery Life - When battery gives up, it would cost a bomb. This is just a general assumption, may be you know better, how much it costs to replace a battery.
d) Since it is not suitable for highway travel, unlike even the A segment Altos and Eons, the usual problems raise. Single car owners (major population) want everything from their one car - cannot spend money on City only car.
e) Car available only in only in a few metros. I cannot buy a E2O in my city, where there is even a good market for luxury cars and above.

No need to take any offence from the usual "against" points about the EV in general. I also want to test drive the E2O (or any EV) to confirm the above points are not true, and buy one :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3826284)

Quote:

Originally Posted by human_wheels (Post 3826304)
I would love to have one. Too bad its not for the domestic market.

I'm 100% sure that when Mahindra builds it, they'll offer it in the local market too. There's no reason for them not to. Sure, it can be 'export focussed', yet it can be on sale in Indian showrooms too.

Quote:

Even after this much needed facelift, the Achilles heel for e2o is the range.

The E2O will rarely be the only car of the house. And for a 2nd / 3rd car, the range is acceptable.

That said, anyone who is so forward thinking to buy an E2O is probably also a user of Uber, Zoom etc. Thus, the need is negated.

I think the E2O is a nice little car for intra city run-abouts. A 4-door version would make it more practical also.

The big deterrent is the price vs value. My sweet spot would have been ~4L OTR, then it would would have made a compelling case for itself. But at 7-8 L, makes no sense (Of course apart from the clean, non polluting aspect).

It would be nice to have a pedal inside this car so that it can help generate some electricity to charge the batteries should someone run out of charge. An auxiliary solar panel may also help a bit.

This will really help the case for this car.

Mahindra are you listening?

Isn't this the only example in Indian Automobile sector where we have 2-door version for domestic and 4-door for export market being developed. I strongly feel that in our country a 2-seater+4 door :uncontrol car has better chances of selling than a 4-seater+2-door one, reason, as mentioned few posts back, difficulty in ingress/coming out.

I found it debatable that green cars reduce the pollution, its just that they transfer the pollution to the power plants where the electricity that is being used to charge the car is generated.

I am yet to see e2os on Goan roads.

Can anyone highlight whether how did the electric powered 2-wheelers fared finally with a plethora of launches during last few years as I am neither reading much about them anywhere nor seeing them on road.

Thank you to Karthik Duraisamy for sending in these images. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts! The Mahindra Reva e2o has been spotted in its 4-door guise on the Bangalore-Hosur highway.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Mahindra working on 4-door e2o. UPDATE: Named 'e2oPlus'-img_20151203_192357.jpg

Mahindra working on 4-door e2o. UPDATE: Named 'e2oPlus'-img_20151203_192459.jpg

Mahindra working on 4-door e2o. UPDATE: Named 'e2oPlus'-img_20151203_192410.jpg

Long overdue. With this (4 doors), E2O has an opportunity to go "mainstream", lets wish it luck.

Quote:

The car sells in pretty good numbers in Bangalore. I don't think MM have really thought over volumes in flying colors given their puny production capacity in Bangalore.
Tata has speculated Megapixel which should have electric + petrol generator design.
Maini had prototyped a roof solar panel, but it was not very effective. The amount of recharging done in a full sunny day in open parking lot may not fetch even 5% of charge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samabhi (Post 3826478)
+1. Absolutely, this is exactly what is needed for the facelift.

+1. No matter what, this car is still unable to prove that its a VFM product.
The build quality is extremely flimsy and there is no confidence inspiring while driving this car.
But on the positive side, this car is meant for B2B and traffic jams. You AC keeps revving for those 10 minutes halt at Kundalahalli/Silk Board and ultra-free steering is a boon in such a situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hybridpetrol (Post 3826500)
The suitable range depends on how long one will travel per day, within the city. What I meant was, it should be possible to charge it on a weekly basis, even if you get caught up for your work schedule during the weekdays, and your usual travel is 50 km per day.
Apart from this, there are many known reasons why many would not buy a EV.
a) Shift to another city - No support for EV. (Charge stations, service etc)
b) Travel has to be planned more carefully. Not possible to increase the range on the go (like filling petrol)
c) Battery Life - When battery gives up, it would cost a bomb. This is just a general assumption, may be you know better, how much it costs to replace a battery.
d) Since it is not suitable for highway travel, unlike even the A segment Altos and Eons, the usual problems raise. Single car owners (major population) want everything from their one car - cannot spend money on City only car.
e) Car available only in only in a few metros. I cannot buy a E2O in my city, where there is even a good market for luxury cars and above.

No need to take any offence from the usual "against" points about the EV in general. I also want to test drive the E2O (or any EV) to confirm the above points are not true, and buy one :)

The car is certainly to be placed in second car category. You must have another gasoline car as an alternative. After acquisition by Mahindra, they are aggressively planning to penetrate to small cities. But I think it will be hard to sell these in smaller cities given the general obsession with Diesels there. People do not have high in-city running mileage in small cities, that makes the matter more complicated.
A new battery replacement cost approx. 1.6 to 1.8 lakhs and it last for minimum 5 years. It can go more or less depending on how the battery was maintained. This mathematics is good enough to shy away people from buying this vehicle.

Travel Planning may sound complex but it is actually not. They have a cool app which has a buffering on a map. The buffer will tell you how much can you drive, or whether if u can come back to same position with the given charge in car. But mostly you will know in advance how much you might drive. For me, I have driven a max of 80 kms in within city which was a one-off case. On an average I drive a max of 40 kms in a day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by imove (Post 3830379)
It would be nice to have a pedal inside this car so that it can help generate some electricity to charge the batteries should someone run out of charge. An auxiliary solar panel may also help a bit.

This will really help the case for this car.

Mahindra are you listening?

clap: Great idea but that may not work. The amount of electricity generated with that pedal thing will be lesser than negligible.
The car is equipped with regenerative braking which charges the battery when the gas pedal is depressed. If used in a proper way the car can run for more than prescribed 100 kms range. My e2O runs for 90+ kms with full AC though it is perceived not to go beyond 80kms. Without AC I have managed to get 108 kms max. The new version e2o has a mileage of 120kms per charge and comes loaded with hill hold.

The car has its own share of pluses and minuses. The major flaw is safety. Though there is a strong crumple zone, plus heavy reinforced doors, the car lacks basics such as ABS, airbags etc. On the contrary since you may be unable to drive this car faster, you may still be safe inside. The website says it is EU crash tested, but no idea which organization did that or what was the score.

This car enjoys niche category and thus cannot be compared to any other car in India. Good thing is this car has all the feature of sub-11 lakhs car and the biggest boon is its gearless.
One major advantage is the surge you get when starting from zero. Notice an e2o zoom past traffic once the signal turns green.
This car is a lifeline for my wife who was suffering 24kms of driving each day. With e2o things have drastically changed for her.

Remember that the features of this car is pretty cool. E.g. using the app you can turn on-off AC (useful when car is parked in open sun and you have to drive the car after 10 minutes), lock-unlock, charge on-off, plan the vacation where you can feed the vacation dates, the car will automatically plan the charge schedules and have the car ready to drive once you are back, no hassles. The app tells you the temperature of key areas of car such as battery, cabin etc. and sitting anywhere u can plan a trip based on available charge, find charging points on map etc. I was checking my car status while I was vacationing in Goa for 20 days :) .
The lock-unlock feature may sound useless but it has specialized use cases. Once the car key was with my wife who was shopping somewhere else. I had to put some heavy stuff into the car I was carrying. The app was the only option I had to open the car and unload myself.

The luxury of having designated parking spot in shopping malls with free charging points makes you feel special. Especially when there is a weekend rush, you drive like a king with security making way for you to the 'special' parking spot while others petrolheads (pun intended) keep waiting.

Well I spotted this in the month of august on jigani bommasandra road. On getting close I could make out that its an e2o, wasnt sure why would mahindra run it disguised, now I see it was a 4 door version.

Spotted it several times in that area after that. Sorry couldn't take better pictures as I was on bike n this is the best I could manage using my cellphone.

Mahindra e2o has been spotted testing in 4 door configuration yet again.

Mahindra working on 4-door e2o. UPDATE: Named 'e2oPlus'-reva.jpg

Report suggests that this version will be exclusive to the export markets. The car has extended wheel base to accommodate the rear doors. The four-door would get additional safety features to comply with European requirements.

Mahindra working on 4-door e2o. UPDATE: Named 'e2oPlus'-reva1.jpg

The four-door variant is expected to get a more powerful electric powertrain giving it a higher range and top speed, while also having Mahindra’s Quick2Charge technology - The Quick2Charge system is basically a DC Fast Charging system.

Using this, an e2o can be fully charged in under 60 minutes. A 15 minute charge will provide a range of 25 km. Using a normal 220 V 15 A socket, the e2o needs 5 hours to charge to its battery fully. The normal socket takes an hour to give the car a range of 20 km.

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/01/4...ngaluru-212993