Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2015, 13:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi launches S5 Sportback in India at Rs. 62.95 lakh

Audi has officially launched the S5 Sportback in India @ 62.95 L (ex-showroom, Delhi / Mumbai).

Audi launches S5 Sportback in India at Rs. 62.95 lakh-s5a.jpg

The S5 Sportback has 5-doors and coupe-like styling. It has a single-frame grille with an S5 badge and a platinum grey insert with horizontal slats. The air inlets on the bumper have a honeycomb grille with dual chrome trim and angular fog lights and the exterior mirror housings have an aluminium look. The car has V6 T badging on the front fenders and and the sill moldings are painted in the same colour as the body. At the rear, there is a quad exhaust system.

The cabin of the S5 Sportback is black with brushed aluminium insterts. It features a leather-covered, 3-spoke, multifunction, flat-bottomed sport steering wheel, aluminium-look gearshift paddles, Alcantara upholstery and optional S sport seats in the front with S5 embossing and electric seat adjustment.

Audi launches S5 Sportback in India at Rs. 62.95 lakh-s5b.jpg

The S5 Sportback is equipped with Audi Drive Select, which regulates the power steering, engine management, automatic transmission and automatic air conditioning system depending upon the selected mode - Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, Efficiency and Individual. The car also has an infotainment system with MMI Navigation Plus, 7-inch display, 505 Watt Bang & Olufsen audio system with 14 speakers and 10-channel amplifier and DVD playback with 5.1 surround sound.

Audi launches S5 Sportback in India at Rs. 62.95 lakh-s5c.jpg

Safety and security features include eight airbags, rear centre armrest equipped with a first-aid storage kit, anti-theft wheel bolts with a rotation ring and code key and a reverse parking camera.

The S5 Sportback is powered by a supercharged 3.0-litre, V6 TFSI petrol engine that puts out 329 BHP @ 5,500-6,500 rpm and 440 Nm of torque @ 2,900-5,300 rpm. The engine is coupled to a 7-speed S tronic® dual-clutch automatic transmission and a Quattro all-wheel drive system. Audi claims that the car can sprint from 0 to 100 kph in 5.1 seconds and reach an electronically governed top speed of 250 km/h. The car also has an auto engine start/stop system.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th October 2015 at 13:25. Reason: Adding information, images
karan561 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 13:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Audi launches S5 Sportback in India at Rs. 62.95 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Audi has officially launched the S5 sportback in India @ 62.95 L (ex-showroom)

Source
Kudos to Audi on the pricing The hunch of it being a sportback and not a coupe to avoid cannibalization of the RS5 turned to be true, however they have beaten my expectations with the pricing. Yet I think the RS5 now looks highly over priced at near double the price of this.
At 63L ex-showroom, this is yet niche but will find takers more than any of the other CBU models Audi has brought it. This is fast and also looks the part. I could see a lot of 530d buyers switching to this.
Waiting to see the spec sheet, hope they have loaded it decently well.

Last edited by Sahil : 20th October 2015 at 13:30.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 13:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is fast and also looks the part. I could see a lot of 530d buyers switching to this.
Perhaps I might qualify for this sold mine 530-D yesterday .

Pardon my naive quarry but is this based on new A4 Platform or A6 ?
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 14:03   #4
BHPian

Why can't Audi redesign the A5&A7 rear from scratch. It looks so ugly!
The rear roof-line finishes abruptly at the trunk and it looks like last minute rear designing job. Looks quite unproportionate for a 4-door coupe. Only Mercedes could get it spot-on through the CL-series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Perhaps I might qualify for this sold mine 530-D yesterday .

Pardon my naive quarry but is this based on new A4 Platform or A6 ?
Its based on the Audi S4/A4 platform. Actually A5 I must say.
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 15:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Kudos to Audi on the pricing The hunch of it being a sportback and not a coupe to avoid cannibalization of the RS5 turned to be true, however they have beaten my expectations with the pricing. Yet I think the RS5 now looks highly over priced at near double the price of this.
At 63L ex-showroom, this is yet niche but will find takers more than any of the other CBU models Audi has brought it. This is fast and also looks the part. I could see a lot of 530d buyers switching to this.
Waiting to see the spec sheet, hope they have loaded it decently well.
This truly has been priced right by Audi and will surely cannibalize (if the buyers in this segment know the existence of this car) the potential 530d M-Sport buyers if i may add the CLA45 AMG buyers as well, because thats priced close too.

Also what will happen to the Audi TT now as this is a much more practical choice

IIRC this 3L supercharged engine was last available on the now discontinued S4. Though the S4 was launched @ 46L ex showroom initially never sold the way it should, this might have a similar fate. Lets wait & watch

Last edited by karan561 : 20th October 2015 at 16:00.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 16:12   #6
BHPian

Truly wondrous pricing. Blows extremely overprice cars like the M3 and M4 straight out of the water. This car should sell well. Entry into 300+ BHP just got a lot more exciting. It is a great supercharged engine, however, the handling would just not match up to something like a C63 AMG or an M3.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 16:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
Truly wondrous pricing. Blows extremely overprice cars like the M3 and M4 straight out of the water. This car should sell well. Entry into 300+ BHP just got a lot more exciting. It is a great supercharged engine, however, the handling would just not match up to something like a C63 AMG or an M3.
S5 is not a direct competitor to C63 AMG or M3, for that Audi has the more hardcore RS5. If the rumors we have been hearing are true, Mercedes is bringing C450 AMG to India, C450 will be competition to S5 but I don't expect such good pricing.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 20:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Let me be very honest , I came to this thread only because I saw the pricing. How on earth did Audi price it so well ?.

Who needs any other sports car when you have this practical sports sedan with Quattro , Audi name , Super charged 329 Bhp engine.

If I had 70 Lakhs lying around , this would be the car for me right now.

Hopefully this pricing will make brands like Ford price their yet to release Mustang more realistically and lower
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 14:41   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My goodness, that is seriously superb pricing for a 300+ BHP AWD CBU that is well-loaded too. Audi has repeated the magic - even the TT was priced right - link.

Surely deserves a pat on the back for keeping it real . Also goes to show just how overpriced the other 'locally assembled' cars are .
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 17:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My goodness, that is seriously superb pricing for a 300+ BHP AWD CBU that is well-loaded too. Audi has repeated the magic - even the TT was priced right - link.

Surely deserves a pat on the back for keeping it real . Also goes to show just how overpriced the other 'locally assembled' cars are .
This must be the base pricing, adding Rear Camera, Navigation etc Plus the Sports Seats would increase the price.
But I hope this price includes all the possible options.

Otherwise this is one pocket rocket which is worth every penny,a real CLA45 AMG destroyer in India which is priced more.

The TT was launched at 60 lakhs with basic features missing but with the Technology Pack it was around 67 lakhs ex showroom.

Last edited by #enzowho : 21st October 2015 at 17:25.
#enzowho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 19:34   #11
BHPian

How come no one wants to talk about Volvo S60 T6 here? At 42L ex-showroom, that is the cheapest entry to 300BHP club.

The drawback would be that it is a FWD. But still, if anyone wants 300 BHP of performance at a budget, T6 is a valid option.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 00:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
How come no one wants to talk about Volvo S60 T6 here? At 42L ex-showroom, that is the cheapest entry to 300BHP club.

The drawback would be that it is a FWD. But still, if anyone wants 300 BHP of performance at a budget, T6 is a valid option.
My guess is one, it is a FWD and two, it has 4 cylinder engine.

Edit: Here's the information on the Audi website about this car launch

Quote:
Audi ups the festive quotient; drives in crackling Audi S5 Sportback
Efficient, Sporty and Powerful
• First and only Sportback in its segment
• Supercharged 3.0 TFSI quattro® engine with 333 hp (245 kW) power
• Accelerates 0 to 100 km/h in 5.1 seconds
• S tronic® transmission delivers uninterrupted power, torque with enhanced fuel efficiency of 8.1 liters per 100 km
• Auto Engine Start/Stop function for greater fuel efficiency
• Audi Drive Select for regulating the power steering, engine management, automatic transmission and automatic air conditioning system
• Mr. Joe King, Head, Audi India: “…the Audi S5 Sportback, a first in its segment will further strengthen our performance car portfolio in India.”
• Priced at INR 62,95,000/- ex-showroom Mumbai/Delhi
Mumbai, October 20, 2015: Adding yet another stunner to its diverse portfolio, Audi, the German luxury car manufacturer, today announced the introduction of the Audi S5 Sportback in India. Efficient, sporty and powerful, the Audi S5 Sportback is a truly stunning car set to pump up the adrenaline of the luxury car enthusiasts. The five-door coupe is the first and only sportback in its segment and is powered by a highly efficient, supercharged 3.0-litre TFSI quattro® engine with an output of 333 hp (245 kW). The Audi S5 Sportback is priced at INR 62,95,000/- ex-showroom Mumbai/Delhi.

“The Audi S5 Sportback is an extremely attractive proposition for customers desiring sportiness with practicality. The Audi S5 Sportback brings cutting edge technology in an efficient, sporty and powerful style while ensuring an exhilarating driving experience with no compromise on fuel efficiency. Audi is a brand that has several firsts to its credit. We introduced the first compact luxury open top convertible the Audi A3 Cabriolet, India’s first production car with laser high beam lighting: the limited edition Audi R8 LMX, first super sportscar with an Avant body type, the Audi RS 6 Avant and now the Audi S5 Sportback, a first in its segment will further strengthen our performance car portfolio in India,” said Mr. Joe King, Head, Audi India.

Engine:

The supercharged 3.0 TFSI quattro® engine with 333 hp (245 kW) gives the Audi S5 Sportback the edge on the road making it ‘a thrill to drive’ machine. The powerful and compact V6 TFSI engine generates a torque of 440 Nm and delivers an intense driving experience. The highly successful S tronic® dual-clutch transmission allows the Audi S5 Sportback to sprint from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.1 seconds and reach an electronically governed top speed of 250 km/h.

MMI® and Infotainment:

The Audi S5 Sportback is packed with advanced infotainment systems. At the very top is the Bang & Olufsen Sound System, which comes as a standard. The MMI® Navigation Plus with a 17.78 centimeter color monitor has 3D navigation mapping enabled. Designed to offer greater sound quality, the ten-channel amplifier of the Bang & Olufsen Sound System delivers 505 watts of powerful sound via 14 high-performance speakers concealed behind aluminum-inlay covers. In conjunction with MMI® navigation plus, the system can play back DVDs in 5.1 Surround Sound.

Exterior:

The Audi S5 Sportback combines power with style. The car’s spectacular visual details like the radiator grille’s platinum grey insert with horizontal chrome struts lend it a sporty character. The honeycomb grille in the air inlets with dual chrome trim and angular fog lights, the exterior mirror housings in aluminum look, and the sill moldings painted in the same color as the body enhances the car’s sporty character.

The single-frame grille bearing a subtle S5 badge and V6 T badging on the front fenders perfectly complements the visual appeal of this charmer.

Interior:

The matt brushed inlays add sportiness and sophistication to the cabin. The leather-covered multifunction flat bottomed sport steering wheel in three-spoke design with shift paddles in aluminium look conveys an authentic racing feel. Draped in Alcantara upholstery, the optional S sport seats in the front with S5 embossing and electric seat adjustment offer excellent support. Inlays in matt brushed aluminium, underline the sporty character of the Audi S5 Sportback.

Comfort:

Audi Drive Select available on the Audi S5 Sportback regulates the power steering, engine management, automatic transmission and automatic air conditioning system. The driver can choose the mode in which these systems operate: Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, Efficiency and Individual.

Audi Parking System Plus with rear-view camera provides visual and acoustic assistance when parking and manoeuvring. The system gives the driver an acoustic warning of any obstacles and displays them on the central MMI®.

Safety:

The Audi S5 Sportsback has best in class safety features with eight airbags, two of which are dedicated rear-side airbags. The rear centre armrest also comes equipped with a first-aid storage kit. The anti-theft wheel bolts with a rotation ring and code key provide utmost security to the vehicle.

Last edited by sweetvar26 : 22nd October 2015 at 00:51.
sweetvar26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 20:29   #13
BHPian

Just got info that with the extended leather and S Sports Seats the Ex Showroom price get up to 73 lakhs.
#enzowho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:33   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #enzowho View Post
Just got info that with the extended leather and S Sports Seats the Ex Showroom price get up to 73 lakhs.
This was exactly my hunch on the pricing. What exactly is the standard equipment??

The B&O itself would be an expensive add on.

I remember when I got my RS5 it had options worth 10 Lakhs and I had no option but to take it as it was preconfigured by the dealer. The Base RS5 was so basic that it did not even have a sunroof or MMI high.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 11:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #enzowho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This was exactly my hunch on the pricing. What exactly is the standard equipment??

The B&O itself would be an expensive add on.

I remember when I got my RS5 it had options worth 10 Lakhs and I had no option but to take it as it was preconfigured by the dealer. The Base RS5 was so basic that it did not even have a sunroof or MMI high.
The more options are added, the more the price blows up by. I just understood that it's much cheaper to get a basic or middle variant of a vehicle and then just add after market items like ICE or leather.

B&O is alright but an after market ICE tuned and installed right will sound better for the same money.

Only issue, most owners won't be willing to tear up their brand new rides for an after market install.

What matters in the S5 most is it's Quattro and super charged engine, everything else is secondary.

It's a shame Audi stopped the S4 in India, I believe it was almost identical to the S5 mechanically. It would have been a cheaper Quattro with supercharged engine if still available.

Most Viewed