Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2015, 17:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

Scoop! Celerio base and mid variants to get safety pack

Earlier this year, we had reported that Maruti Suzuki's entry level models could get safety features such as ABS and EBD (click here to read report). Now, Team-BHP has learnt that the company is gearing up to give the base and mid variant of the Celerio hatchback a safety pack. This pack consists of dual front airbags and anti-lock braking system.

Name:  Celerio.png
Views: 3822
Size:  170.7 KB

The new variants of the petrol manual and AMT versions of the Celerio will be called LXi (O), VXi (O).The AMT version will also get a new ZXi (O) trim level, which will sit at the top of the Celerio line-up. There will be LDi (O) and VDi (O) trim levels for the diesel version as well.

Maruti Suzuki has used the Celerio to introduce new technologies in India. It was the first car to get an automated manual transmission (AMT) and the first Maruti to get an in-house developed 2-cylinder diesel engine. It is also the first hatchback from its existing range that will see the inclusion of such a safety pack on the base and mid variants.

This safety pack is also expected to be made available on base and mid variants of other existing Maruti products in the future.

Maruti has received a lot of flak for performing poorly in NCAP tests. The company is now trying to project a 'safety conscious' image. With India having a very poor record in road safety, it is good to see manufacturers taking measures to improve the safety of their offerings. Team-BHP supports the decision by Maruti Suzuki to provide the safety pack on its cars.
Aditya is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 18:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Celerio base and mid variants to get safety pack

I so much wish this pack would be retro fittable to existing Celerios, missing safety in my VXi AMT. Seems very unlikely, however, no harm in wishing I guess.

Well done Maruti to bring SAFETY to the front. Hoping that the other manufacturers will also follow suite.
basilmabraham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 18:32   #3
BHPian

Interesting!
When the dual airbags, ABS, EBD are introduced as option in all the Celerio variants, market will move towards safer cars.
In my opinion, instead of introducing as option, such as Lxi(O), Vxi(O), they should simply update their Lxi, Vxi and Zxi with these features. All variants should get these as standard. Safety should not be a matter of choice any more.
By the way, when will Maruti introduce these safety features across all the variants of Alto 800?
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 18:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wait! How can Maruti leave aside Swift and make safety standard on the Celerio? I doubt if it can happen that way.
Old 26th October 2015, 19:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Wait! How can Maruti leave aside Swift and make safety standard on the Celerio? I doubt if it can happen that way.
If Ford can equip Figo and Figo Aspire with Airbags across all variants leaving aside the Ecosport, why can't Maruti Suzuki?
They are not much bothered about sells lie hot cakes, sadly.

This may change in the near future though! Hopefully.
Old 26th October 2015, 20:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
May be they are aiming at the relatively low selling models. To equip Swift and Dzire, they'll need about 40000units of dual airbag sets and ABS modules. My gut tells me its the installed capacity of the parts which is stopping them.

However the recent attitude shown by Maruti appears promising.

Firstly they silently relaunch Ciaz with safety features across all variants, then comes the S Cross and Baleno, and even the face-lifted Ertiga does well in the safety department. Only thing which Maruti should stop doing now is decreasing the quality of chassis/removing reinforcements in the name of cost cutting.

I believe the lower priced models like Alto, Celerio etc will not have the safety features standard across all variants, considering the price sensitive nature of the segment. Rather they'll have them as optionals.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 23:32   #7

Very good and welcome move. Wish they would have done it a bit sooner, so that I could have bought a mid-level Celerio with 2 airbags and ABS instead of my fully loaded Alto K10 (with 1 airbag).
But more importantly, I hope all these options remain available to the buyer and not be on 'brochure only', just like the Alto 800 airbag models and the WagonR VXI(O) variants have become.
RitanRex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 10:01   #8
BHPian

However welcome move, I doubt your intentions Maruti!
I would have believed you if you made it standard. Keeping it optional?

So at the same time they boast of their "safety conscious" image and aam junta continue to buy the same models without these "option pack".
Old 27th October 2015, 12:12   #9
BHPian

Great initiative by Maruti. Atleast the safety packs are available as options for safety conscious buyers. This move can be a stepping stone towards standard safety features in all maruti cars. Hopefully they would start it for other models like swift and dezire in future.
Peterf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 12:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
However welcome move, I doubt your intentions Maruti!

So at the same time they boast of their "safety conscious" image and aam junta continue to buy the same models without these "option pack".
In a price sensitive market, every rupee counts. People have been criticizing car companies for not offering safety features without forcing people to go to higher variants.
I think, in the absence of any sort of regulation from government, this is the best we are going to get. This way, people who want safety, but cannot shell out a lakh more for the higher variant, will be happy.

"Standards" come from the government. As you move up the price chain, non-mandatory things become standard. For example cars which start at 50 lakh + have adaptive headlights, cruise control, climate control etc., as standard.

In the lower end of the chain, profit margins are thing, and a 5000 rs difference is enough to send the customer to competitor.

To fight for standards there is a fight which needs to be taken to the government. If you remember 1999, we got MFPI due to Euro norms. Even with a fuel injected santro, the Maruti cars had carbs.

We got seat belts also due to government regulations.

Same will be the case with Airbags and ABS as standard. Its upto the government to make a standard. SIAM will always think about profits. That is how they are wired. That is what they learned in their B-Schools.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 12:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Interesting!
When the dual airbags, ABS, EBD are introduced as option in all the Celerio variants, market will move towards safer cars.
In my opinion, instead of introducing as option, such as Lxi(O), Vxi(O), they should simply update their Lxi, Vxi and Zxi with these features. All variants should get these as standard. Safety should not be a matter of choice any more.
By the way, when will Maruti introduce these safety features across all the variants of Alto 800?
How does it matter what the nomenclature says? Lxi or Lxi (O). The fact of the matter is that the safety kit is available right at the base trim and a buyer can opt for it without burning a hole in the pocket.

This is a good move by MSIL and it seems that MSIL is gearing up itself as well as its vendors for the upcoming requirements of safety kit. Once the new norms are in place it would be difficult for MSIL vendors to cater to a sudden demand. An early start in this direction will help increase the production capacities and market penetration.

And once the safety kit is made mandatory, the optional thing will also become standard.

Cheers to MSIL.

Last edited by i74js : 27th October 2015 at 12:27.
i74js is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 12:59   #12
BHPian

I like the way things are changing at the top car manufacturer in the country. I think forums like ours have succeeded in creating the right kind of noise for car buyers and manufacturers to take notice of the increasing discontent about safety features being denied in lower and middle variants.

Though Maruti took their own sweet time to come on-board, this move will definitely put pressure on the Hondas and Hyundais to jack up their offerings or else lose out on the informed consumer.

I think Tata has a good potential to take this forward and offer better safety features standard on the Kite twins and claw back the lost market share.
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 14:33   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Better late than never! Well done, Maruti . After the market leader does it, the rest are sure to follow.

Quote:
It will come for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
It's a price sensitive market. If, despite having the option available, a customer buys the non-ABS variant, blame him and not the company!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 14:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It will come for sure.
New Swift is scheduled for 2016 end or early 2017. So expect current Swift to be as it is till end of its life cycle. New Swift will surely come with all safety pack from base model like Baleno did. In case of Celerio, its a new model and is here to stay for next few years, so they have added safety pack I guess. Also Swift Zxi has safety features and one can buy it if he is serious about his own safety, option is always there.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 14:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

It is surprising to see Maruti emphasizing on safety after its Chairman's ridiculous comments (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tatements.html).

They put the safety last and others followed, now others are bound to follow the leader again. Good move, at last. I think they should make it standard in all products before it is mandated by the law.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks