Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 17:27   #76
BHPian

re: VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
From my dealer got the info that the Vento and the Jetta that will be delivered from now on (did not get a specific date) have the cheat code removed/replaced. Not sure if I can rely on this info. Globally there is not news of the solution, how that a solution be made available in India only? If the cheat code is removed then the power and the milage drop has been reported between 20 and 30%. That is a big difference, like from 102 it could mean 80 bhp!, similarly for milage. Then they need to get they corrected models retested and they need to change their product spec. I am sure no one will be interested in a Vento @ 80 Bhp and 15 kmpl. So this corrected at factory theory I guess is not correct.

What I think might have happened, is since we are on BS IV the cheat software might be tweaked with the cheat being the norm, meaning the car does not need to cheat when emission tested as the norms can be met without it. That is bad too.

I will re-check with the dealer again, if there are any further updates.
No. VW is exceeding the limits set by BS-4 also. In best case scenario the NOx levels reported for such cars is 3 times higher then the BS-4 standard of .25g/km. Euro-6 has a limit of .08.
Old 4th November 2015, 19:55   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
No. VW is exceeding the limits set by BS-4 also. In best case scenario the NOx levels reported for such cars is 3 times higher then the BS-4 standard of .25g/km. Euro-6 has a limit of .08.

If the NOx levels are 3 times BS-IV, then the cars will not meet BS-III either.
BS-III stands at 0.50g/km.

If the engines are meeting BS-III, then cars can be sold legally in places where BS-III is applicable.
Old 4th November 2015, 21:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

This is crazy. VW cars do not even meet BS3? Difficult to believe.

Are these results announced somewhere or are we missing something?
Old 4th November 2015, 21:21   #79
Senior - BHPian

The 'quick and timely' reaction by Indian Govt reminds me of the late arrival of Police scene in the Hindi movies.

So now its the timely festival gift by the Govt so make full use of it by looking for used VW cars at a steal.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 21:22   #80
BHPian

Has it been confirmed after any checks that their Petrol engines do not have the cheat software?

Or will it also surface after few months?
Old 4th November 2015, 22:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

So the Vento, Jetta and the A4 fail the test while the rest are OK? What about the A6,Q5, A3,Q3,Octavia, Yeti, Superb,Rapid 1.6? Aren't they affected? I mean even VW admitted that ( as far as 2.0TDIs are concerned). Did the guys at ARAI do a shoddy job in testing those cars? Or did VW pay the boys some hard cash? Something's not right anyway.
Old 4th November 2015, 22:31   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Has it been confirmed after any checks that their Petrol engines do not have the cheat software?
Internationally the petrol cars also have come under scrutiny. While the NOx in Petrol is difficult due to the nature of the fuel and the lower compression ratios (need to see how this will work with the TSI) it is easier to be compliant. I am sure they will also be checked.
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 10:36   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
So the Vento, Jetta and the A4 fail the test while the rest are OK? What about the A6,Q5, A3,Q3,Octavia, Yeti, Superb,Rapid 1.6? Aren't they affected? I mean even VW admitted that ( as far as 2.0TDIs are concerned). Did the guys at ARAI do a shoddy job in testing those cars? Or did VW pay the boys some hard cash? Something's not right anyway.
If I were to borrow the wordings of the release from ARAI from some portals(NDTV, Autocar), it says Jetta, Octavia, A4 and A6 were effected while significant variation in emission were found in Vento, Jetta and A4. The release is very confusing to say the least, thus adding to the consumer's woes.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/government...levels-1240130
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ai-398516.aspx

Quote:
From my dealer got the info that the Vento and the Jetta that will be delivered from now on (did not get a specific date) have the cheat code removed/replaced. Not sure if I can rely on this info. Globally there is not news of the solution, how that a solution be made available in India only? If the cheat code is removed then the power and the milage drop has been reported between 20 and 30%. That is a big difference, like from 102 it could mean 80 bhp!, similarly for milage. Then they need to get they corrected models retested and they need to change their product spec. I am sure no one will be interested in a Vento @ 80 Bhp and 15 kmpl. So this corrected at factory theory I guess is not correct.

What I think might have happened, is since we are on BS IV the cheat software might be tweaked with the cheat being the norm, meaning the car does not need to cheat when emission tested as the norms can be met without it. That is bad too.

I will re-check with the dealer again, if there are any further updates.
I feel that this is fact based fiction being touted out by the dealer. VW India in its notification and clarification to ARAI had mentioned that they are working on the resolution and once planned, will start re-calling the effected cars. So, if the solution was found and implemented in the new cars, why do they have to wait to get the same done on effected cars in the market.

If the dealer insists and you are going ahead with the purchase, perhaps taking it in writing on the dealer letter-head and signed by authorized signatories might be safer.

--Kalyan

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 5th November 2015 at 10:53. Reason: Merged two replies!
Old 5th November 2015, 11:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

Dieselgate: ARAI issues notice to VW Group India

ARAI has issued a notice to the Volkswagen Group India to provide technical inputs and to explain their position. Volkswagen has confirmed the receipt of this notice and will respond to the same by November 30, 2015.

Link to news article
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 12:18   #85
Senior - BHPian

Are the owners of these cars going to be compensated in any way?
Old 5th November 2015, 13:56   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Internationally the petrol cars also have come under scrutiny. While the NOx in Petrol is difficult due to the nature of the fuel and the lower compression ratios (need to see how this will work with the TSI) it is easier to be compliant. I am sure they will also be checked.
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/volkswa...-cars-affected
Came in teambhp just now
And I just gave my downpayment for GT TSI yesterday, loan is processed and the vehicle is ready. No option other than to pray.
Old 5th November 2015, 14:47   #87
BHPian

Compensation ? No, I'll tell you what I want. Give me the newer car with the higher spec engine retrofitted with the hardware necessary. Because, if the news regarding the decrease in fuel efficiency and BHP are to be believed, the 75BHP engine would definitely feel worse than it already does.
harpreetkanwar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 14:57   #88
BHPian

Can someone tell me how PUC is being issued to VW cars if they are polluting ?

The whole PUC thing is crony system.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 15:21   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Can someone tell me how PUC is being issued to VW cars if they are polluting ?

The whole PUC thing is crony system.
The entire emission scandal is due to this reason. VW cars fall under emission standards when under 'controlled' conditions. So maybe when they are on a dyno or a constant standstill revving of the engine for pollution testing, the computer switches over to the 'cheat code' which cuts power and adheres to a different map for less NOx emissions. Thats the reason why this was not caught for a long time. Only when that lab in USA did some real world rolling car tests, that they were flummoxed with the different readings which they are getting.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 19:12   #90
BHPian

I am incredibly disappointed to learn that vw has cheated in the higher and lower segment vehicles as well. What I can't fathom is the Pollution checks in our country. Do they even work? And what standards do they adhere to?! because I'm sure the cheat code doesn't come into play when you're revving at a standstill, for example at a signal.
From what I gather this happens only during the test mode, ie where the front tyres rotated, the rear wheels are stationary and there is no significant steering input.
http://jalopnik.com/understanding-th...iss-1732175835
I just booked my Vento tsi last week, but I hope the punishment meted out is absolutely stringent and has a component that makes sure that vw invests a hefty percentage of its income into pollution control research that is open to all auto companies.
What a Shame volkswagen. You've become the Lance Armstrong of the car industry.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks