Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 13:39   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

Volkswagen likely to recall 100,000 cars in India.

Vento's and Polo's too could be in the recall.

Quote:
The recall in India, expected to happen before Nov 8, would mostly affect cars fitted with engines that have been imported and would also include 20,000 diesel vehicles made in the country

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...urces/49579733

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th October 2015 at 13:49.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 13:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen and Audi cheat in US Emissions Test. EDIT: CEO Martin Winterkorn resigns!

According to CNBC TV18 exclusive sources, VW would recall all Polo GT TDI, Polo Cross TDI, Vento TDI, Jetta 2.0 and Passat 2.0. Attached are the tweets. Please note this is source based. The constant negative news flow about VW certainly hampers consumer confidence.
Attached Thumbnails
VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal-vw.png  

manish84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 14:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

VW likely to recall 100,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

This was expected only. Hope that Indian government will take some strict action against the VW.

"German car maker Volkswagen's Indian unit is likely to recall 100,000 cars in the country impacted by the diesel emission scandal, TV reports said, citing sources. Europe's biggest car maker has admitted cheating in emissions tests on around 11 million diesel vehicles globally. The scandal has pushed Volkswagen to report its first quarterly loss in at least 15 years, forced out its long-time chief executive and sent shock waves through the global car industry. The recall in India, expected to happen before November 8, would mostly affect cars fitted with engines that have been imported and would also include 20,000 diesel vehicles made in the country, the report said. A Volkswagen India spokesman was not immediately reachable for comment."

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49579582.cms

This is also more interesting

"Toyota view on Volkswagen scandal: Don't obsess over No. 1"

Toyota's top executive has offered some advice to German rival Volkswagen as it wrestles with a huge emissions scandal: don't focus on being number one. Akio Toyoda's comments at the Tokyo Motor show come as the automakers are locked in a neck-and-neck race for the title of world's biggest automaker this year, with the Japanese giant running slightly ahead. But Toyota has said it was shifting its goals to quality not quantity after being dented by a series of huge recalls in recent years, including one linked to a deadly accelerator defect.

"Toyota had quality issues in the past, and because of these problems, we have been able to restructure and reform. In that regard, we are strongly committed not to repeat the same mistakes," Toyoda told reporters at the motor show, which opened Wednesday, when asked about the VW scandal. "Toyota is not indifferent to volume, we have a clear target to raise volume, but I want everybody in the world to see our company as the greatest car manufacturer, rather than the biggest".

The member of Toyota's founding family added that Volkswagen's admission it had fitted 11 million diesel vehicles worldwide with sophisticated software to skew emissions tests should not undo progress in making cars cleaner. "The wrongdoing of one company should not dampen the efforts of other automakers on environmental issues," Toyoda said. Volkswagen's new chief executive apologised for the crisis at the Tokyo show on Wednesday, as the firm booked its first quarterly loss in more than 15 years in the wake of the global pollution-cheating scandal, which also forced it to lower its full-year forecasts.http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49578732.cms

Last edited by aniketi : 29th October 2015 at 14:48. Reason: Edited title
aniketi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 14:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

Quote:

The recall in India, expected to happen before November 8, would mostly affect cars fitted with engines that have been imported and would also include 20,000 diesel vehicles made in the country, the report said.
Any irony here that my GT's EGR conked off within the same month as the acceptance of emission cheating by VW ??

From what I understand, some of the components (if not all) were imported on the 1.6 TDI engine. Experts please correct me here.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 15:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
This was expected only. Hope that Indian government will take some strict action against the VW.

"German car maker Volkswagen's Indian unit is likely to recall 100,000 cars in the country impacted by the diesel emission scandal, TV reports said, citing sources. Europe's biggest car maker has admitted cheating in emissions tests on around 11 million diesel vehicles globally. The scandal has pushed Volkswagen to report its first quarterly loss in at least 15 years, forced out its long-time chief executive and sent shock waves through the global car industry. The recall in India, expected to happen before November 8, would mostly affect cars fitted with engines that have been imported and would also include 20,000 diesel vehicles made in the country, the report said. A Volkswagen India spokesman was not immediately reachable for comment."
It would be interesting to see how much detail they provide on what the changes are and what the impact on the car will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Any irony here that my GT's EGR conked off within the same month as the acceptance of emission cheating by VW ??

From what I understand, some of the components (if not all) were imported on the 1.6 TDI engine. Experts please correct me here.
Well the rumor about the 1.6 GT TDi engines was that they were leftover from those imported for the Vento. Whatever it is the software would definitely be imported - defeat devices and all.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 15:18   #6
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen and Audi cheat in US Emissions Test. EDIT: CEO Martin Winterkorn resigns!

some more news on this:-
http://www.rediff.com/business/repor...s/20151029.htm

100,000 cars recall: How far back do they need to go back in history? The numbers mean at-least a year and a half.
Old 29th October 2015, 15:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Volkswagen hopes that Indian authorities will accept a plan similar to the one that the company has agreed upon with European authorities to test and fix the diesel engines affected by the emissions cheating scandal that hit the company recent.

Quote:
“As the engines for India are using that homologation procedure, we think that could be a master plan to talk to the Indian government and we hope for their acceptance. The plan is a detailed schedule for all types of engines, what we are going to do and how we are going to test the engines and when we are going to release a new software batch or even modify the hardware

http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/co...cle7813499.ece
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 15:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
According to CNBC TV18 exclusive sources, VW would recall all Polo GT TDI, Polo Cross TDI, Vento TDI, Jetta 2.0 and Passat 2.0. Attached are the tweets. Please note this is source based. The constant negative news flow about VW certainly hampers consumer confidence.
I saw this 1 post that again talks about the tentative recall of 100,000 cars by Nov 8.

http://english.manoramaonline.com/bu...l-engines.html
Not much further info available and leaves me wondering what will happen next, being an owner of a Vento TDI Highline Blue. Anybody has further information on this.

Last edited by ampere : 29th October 2015 at 15:49.
Old 29th October 2015, 15:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post

Well the rumor about the 1.6 GT TDi engines was that they were leftover from those imported for the Vento. Whatever it is the software would definitely be imported - defeat devices and all.
Well Shibu, after my recent experience with VW after sales, all I can wish for is that there are no further surprises in-store which requires me to get in touch with the service folks.

Its just completely beyond me to know how can OEM parts be so difficult to procure by service folks, when they are only representing the brand and not some sort of a spin off!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 29th October 2015 at 15:36.
Old 29th October 2015, 15:44   #10
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong - does it mean VW couldn't even pass Indian pollution norms ?!! If true, it is pathetic.
rselva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 15:58   #11
BHPian

So it seems that all current generation Polos, Ventos, Jettas and Passats with the 1.2L, 1.5L, 1.6L or 2.0 L diesel engines will be recalled to do the changes

What is important is what will be the impact of the modifications be
1) What are the changes being done
2) Will it impact power output?
3) Will it impact fuel consumption
4) Will it have any long term impact on the reliability and life of the engine and associated components.

Unless VW India is absolutely transparent and clear about these i will think 10 times before giving my car for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
some more news on this:-
http://www.rediff.com/business/repor...s/20151029.htm

100,000 cars recall: How far back do they need to go back in history? The numbers mean at-least a year and a half.

VW sell on an average around 3000 to 3500 Polos, Ventos and Jettas (put together) in a month (Passats are negligible). Out of which atleast half will be Petrol. So we are talking about 4 to 5 years. Pretty much all 1.5L. 1.6L and 2.0L diesel VW will be affected. I suppose the 3 pot Polos will also be affected

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th October 2015 at 14:00. Reason: Back to back posts.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 16:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
What is important is what will be the impact of the modifications be
1) What are the changes being done
2) Will it impact power output?
3) Will it impact fuel consumption
4) Will it have any long term impact on the reliability and life of the engine and associated components.
Well based on my readup of the US emissions scandal.
1 - Its a software update. They will re-flash the ECU
2-3 - The "secret" code injected more fuel to meet the emissions standards in "Test" mode. The power output between Test and real mode was not significantly different. Based on this data, I think more Diesel will be used for the same throttle input for meeting the emissions.
It sounds counter-intuitive, but indeed squiring fuel in hot exhaust gases reduces emissions. Lots of articles on the web about this.
IMO, the FE reduction is not going to be drastic.

4 - No idea about this.
freedom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 16:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen hopes that Indian authorities will accept a plan similar to the one that the company has agreed upon with European authorities to test and fix the diesel engines affected by the emissions cheating scandal that hit the company recent.
Well, after all their talking with the government is done they ought to do some talking with us customers too. After all a 105bhp car down graded to 90bhp or so in their so called fix is not exactly why we bought the car for, right? I know it might be wishful thinking but they out to clearly lay out what they are going to do, how it will affect performance and mileage.

Quote:
Its just completely beyond me to know how can OEM parts be so difficult to procure by service folks, when they are only representing the brand and not some sort of a spin off!!
Very frustrating especially if your car is a daily driver.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 16:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
VW sell on an average around 3000 to 3500 Polos, Ventos and Jettas (put together) in a month (Passats are negligible). Out of which atleast half will be Petrol. So we are talking about 4 to 5 years. Pretty much all 1.5L. 1.6L and 2.0L diesel VW will be affected. I suppose the 3 pot Polos will also be affected
So pretty much every Diesel VW out there on our roads are affected. My Polo is a 1.2 diesel. And this emission scandal comes at a time my car is frequenting the service station for exhaust sensor issues. Timing?
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 16:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
After all a 105bhp car down graded to 90bhp or so in their so called fix is not exactly why we bought the car for, right?
I confess I have not been following this in much greater detail as I should have. But is this essentially what they would do? To fix the problem the power output of the engine will be brought down?

Appreciate if someone can point me to the TBHP post on this or any external link. This is atrocious if its true. The government should also mandate monetary compensation then to the owners to penalize VW for selling a car with a corrupted power output.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks