Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 16:53   #16
BHPian

re: VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Well based on my readup of the US emissions scandal.
1 - Its a software update. They will re-flash the ECU
2-3 - The "secret" code injected more fuel to meet the emissions standards in "Test" mode. The power output between Test and real mode was not significantly different. Based on this data, I think more Diesel will be used for the same throttle input for meeting the emissions.
It sounds counter-intuitive, but indeed squiring fuel in hot exhaust gases reduces emissions. Lots of articles on the web about this.
IMO, the FE reduction is not going to be drastic.

4 - No idea about this.
I wouldn't be so sure. VW has mentioned in a congressional hearing (if i remember correctly) that some will require SW update, others will require additional components to make it pass the emission test. So i don't think VW has come out as to what kind of modification will be needed for each type of engine in each of the various markets (as emission norms are different in different places)

Having said this i don't think, in India given our less stringent emission norms and generally lax govt. attitude and poor consumer protection laws, they will do anything more than a SW update and hence my concern as to what the impact of that will be to performance, fuel economy, reliability and longevity of the engines
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 16:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Appreciate if someone can point me to the TBHP post on this or any external link. This is atrocious if its true. The government should also mandate monetary compensation then to the owners to penalize VW for selling a car with a corrupted power output.
Here are a couple :

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/vw-owne...fixes-diesels/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/388114/v...g-to-us-chief/

Given the cost and space ramifications urea treatment may not be an option. In my layman's view what seems possible is either lowering the performance or a decrease in fuel efficiency due to spraying excess fuel to treat the NOx gases. Can live with the latter, not the former.

Then again, they might have some intelligent way of fixing it which they did not find in the last 4 years and stumbled upon in the last 1 month.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 29th October 2015 at 16:58.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 17:00   #18
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Am actually surprised to note that if this were to actually cone true then it would imply that even BS4 levels were breached in India at a time of Euro6 levels in Europe. Odd.

We frankly shouldn't require anything more than a software update as our levels of BS4 are 2 steps lower than what VW had to meet globally.

Last edited by ACM : 29th October 2015 at 17:02.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 17:00   #19
BHPian

November 8th is like 10 days from now. Considering Indian scenario, if the recall happens on November 8th, it will take about 6 months or even more to cover the 100,000 cars. Taking the lacklustre attitude of the service, these fixes will not be done as expected. How do customers get to know if their cars are affected and whether the cheat has been fixed if the car is recalled.

Last edited by GTO : 30th October 2015 at 12:53. Reason: Typo
Old 29th October 2015, 17:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
This was expected only. Hope that Indian government will take some strict action against the VW.

"German car maker Volkswagen's Indian unit is likely to recall 100,000 cars in the country impacted by the diesel emission scandal, TV reports said, citing sources.
Absolutely !

This was in the offing ever since the emission tests failed in the US for VW. Would be interesting to know how & exactly what VW would do to correct/repair their faulty, emitting machines. I pity the innumerable customers who'd opted for these vehicles awed by German Engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
"Toyota view on Volkswagen scandal: Don't obsess over No. 1"
Well said Toyota !

I recall this race for numero uno ever since Toyota upstaged GM years ago & VW were close on their heels & had commented only last year they were almost there. By mid year 2015 VW managed to surge ahead very slightly & i think in that fixation they committed this bluff.
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 17:36   #21

They have done changes to cheat during the emission test and later on to boost performance. Now when they will undo that, what kind of impact does it make on the performance of the car? People buy this car for build quality, driving experience and FTD but what will be the situation next for car owners and their cars. I wish and hope that justice will be done to people also who have spent lakhs on their cars!

Last edited by GTO : 30th October 2015 at 12:55. Reason: Typo
Old 29th October 2015, 21:48   #22
BHPian

Link to CNBC news about the VW india recall.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/cnb...s_3851681.html
Old 30th October 2015, 06:54   #23
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen and Audi cheat in US Emissions Test. EDIT: CEO Martin Winterkorn resigns!

Official statement from Volkswagen India:

Quote:
Volkswagen Group India representatives have met Government of India – Ministry of Heavy Industries and ARAI today, on 29th October 2015 and have updated them on the evaluations so far on the ongoing emissions issue with reference to India.

Since there is a complex combination of several brands, various models, different engine variants and gearboxes as well as different model years that need to be analysed, establishing detailed facts is taking a longer time.

Volkswagen Group India will present its results from the evaluations by the end of November 2015. During this period, the company representatives will stay in regular touch with ARAI to keep the authorities updated on the analysis. The next steps will depend on the findings from these evaluations.

Meanwhile, Volkswagen Group India would like to assure that all vehicles in the customers’ hands remain technically safe and roadworthy.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 07:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen and Audi cheat in US Emissions Test. EDIT: CEO Martin Winterkorn resigns!

What exactly is meant by saying "Roadworthy"?

To be roadworthy, car needs to meet emission norms. Right?
Chethan B G is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 07:42   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen updates its homepage,

VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal-capture.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 08:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

That is a good point. If a car doesn't meet the legal emission norms it can not be legally speaking road worthy I guess?
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 08:38   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen updates its homepage,

Attachment 1433033
That's an old notice. They had put this up since a month now.

That's also their standard response to anyone sending them a mail inquiring about this issue.

Refer this post.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 09:34   #28
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

And after all this has happened in VW, some people think "Recall or no recall, its brand image will not see any long-term impact"

Source:The Indian Express, Bangalore 30 Oct 2015 - Link
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 09:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
That is a good point. If a car doesn't meet the legal emission norms it can not be legally speaking road worthy I guess?
To me, the statement of the diesels being "Roadworthy" is just a reassurance to the common public that the cars will continue being safe and won't fall apart. This would seem to be logical to any owner given the scope of "emmissiongate" but I suppose it is something that VW had to state in any case.

As a Jetta 2.0 Owner, I am not too concerned. The car is serving its purpose, the issue will eventually sort itself out. It's not like ABS or Airbags or transmissions are failing left, right and center.

Legally speaking there may be an issue, but I doubt even our government is asinine enough to pass the onus of responsibility onto the owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
And after all this has happened in VW, some people think "Recall or no recall, its brand image will not see any long-term impact"
Through many of the past decades, VW has been plagued with Reliability issues. Especially electrical ones. That has not hampered them from being considered one of the best car manufacturers today.
VW and Skoda and delivering cars that appeal to buyers worldwide. In mature markets, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Lexus and to a lesser extent Acura and Infiniti may steal some of VWs potential customers. In markets like India, there is simply no replacing VW and Skoda products. The Japanese and Koreans just do not have the build quality or the drive experience that VW offers. The premium Germans aren't accessible to the bulk of our citizens. So yes, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the only impact to VW over this fiasco is the loss of a large portion of its bank balance. My guess is it will continue increasing market share.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th October 2015 at 10:35. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts at once.
imp! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 10:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post

Through many of the past decades, VW has been plagued with Reliability issues. Especially electrical ones. That has not hampered them from being considered one of the best car manufacturers today.
Agree 100% with you imp!, but the way I see it:

- German design and engineering is epic and arguably the best in the world. But all this is useless if they are unable to address their customers when need be.

- Not many other cars quite drive & perform like the German ones. But then again, not many other cars sit it out at the factory during repairs, like the Germans do

- Cheating the market to improve their brand visibility is one thing. Depriving its own loyal customers of their absolute necessity is a complete NO NO !!

- Delivering marvellous machines and unable to pump goods/replaceables into inventory is absolutely unacceptable.

- Buying all major German brands out there in the market and yet unable to cater to any of the respective customers experience is an investment that will only crumble.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks