Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2015, 22:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota launches updated Land Cruiser 200 at 1.29 crore

Well, Toyota seems to be happy with the sales in India as they have pulled the plug on the LC200 in UK.

Yeah, it sure looks expensive, but then if you import one privately its gonna cost even more, unless its a bare bone version with a v6 petrol and M/T, that will anyway be 60-70lakhs after importing.

Sure, Germans are available at a far cheaper price, but then Toyota doesn't usually assemble the Land cruiser outside Japan, so CBU is the only way and our 120% import tax makes the Landcruiser okay for the pricing.

Even so, other than the two plants in Japan, Toyota assembles the LC200 in partnership with FAW in China, so it is possible. Though i don't see anything happening as such as long as Kirloskar is with Toyota in India.
Old 1st November 2015, 13:03   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi@8689 View Post
I am afraid that the next gen LC, whenever it comes, would have all those crazy cuts, edges, creases and all kinds of angular shaped head and tail lights like how it was with the next gen fortuner.
So agreed! In terms of looks, it's the 80 Series > 200 Series > 100 Series for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
1.29 Crores for a Toyota ? Sure it's a go anywhere vehicle but at that price i don't think anyone would want to take it offroad.
In India, 1% of owners would ever take it offroad. And even when you do, no way will you drive with abandon. The cost of 3 lakh rupee headlamps (assumed cost) would always be at the back of your mind.

And you wouldn't want to scratch your 1 crore SUV against a tree right?

Want to really offroad, buy a Thar or Gypsy as an extra vehicle. I know of some people who have their driver take their 4x4 to the offroad spot while they cruise there in the comfort of a luxury vehicle. Get out, offroad, then back in the luxo-barge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjew View Post
Ah good to see that they sell enough in India to bring in the updated models every year.
Sales have been in the single digits for the last 4 months. No, they don't sell enough in India, but it's easy to launch a CBU. Simply send a purchase order to head office, updated your website & voila! That's why you see a new CBU launch from Mercedes every Thursday .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Sure, Germans are available at a far cheaper price, but then Toyota doesn't usually assemble the Land cruiser
Unless there is a difference in quality - which there isn't - the customer doesn't care about CBU or CKD. Heck, the CKD Germans are more premium than a CBU Land Cruiser.

Don't get me wrong. At the same price, I'd buy a Land Cruiser over the equivalent German SUV 10 times out of 10. But I'm not going to pay 1.5 crores for an 8 year old Toyota SUV.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 13:09   #18
BHPian

I was really hoping for a V8 petrol variant to be available too. Maybe Lexus will cover the petrol engine when it comes.
Old 1st November 2015, 19:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Toyota seem to have this attitude that they'll sell their iconic cars at whatever price (and with limited equipment) in India. As a customer: if you want it, buy it. Else, forget it.

That is the attitude with the Camry, Prado and the LC200.

Although, it's changed with the Camry in the last couple of years. The Camry hybrid is doing exceedingly well and they've actually improved it.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 21:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
I was really hoping for a V8 petrol variant to be available too. Maybe Lexus will cover the petrol engine when it comes.
I also think at this price, petrol would have been a better proposition for India. I am also waiting for a good petrol SUV in this segment.
vishal9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 22:31   #21
Team-BHP Support

Mileage will be an issue on V8 Petrol given the road conditions here , even highways are choked unlike west besides it runs only on premium petrol . Yes , it sounds absolutely quiet but having owned 4,6 V8 ( in GX though ) somehow I never experienced the kick that we get on BMW , even in gear acceleration is sluggish perhaps due to 6 speed gear box . Don't think it will return more than 4-5 Kmpl here .

Toyota can easily start producing Prado here as CKD and price about 50-60 Lac , there is such a big potential of customers ready for upgrade from Fortuner / Pajero .
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 23:25   #22
BHPian

Have driven an imported Landcruiser petrol here in delhi ( Embassy kinds).

Used to give mileage of 3 kmpl in heavy south delhi to central delhi traffic.

Never felt that fast either ( both petrol and diesel).

But yes, still running strong.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 22:40   #23
BHPian

While all of us may wonder why is Land Cruiser Amazon even selling at such a high price, we have to remember that its one of those rare cars which look a lot cheaper than what they actually cost. If you want a loaded luxurious SUV and don't want to get noticed, LC is the way to go.
A friend of mine was considering buying one for elections for this very reason. When you want to feel like you're rich but don't want to look like you're rich, this is the car for you.
Doge is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 08:34   #24
Team-BHP Support

How many Toyota's have failed or have had shoddy work done at the workshop? How many have been documented on the forum?

How many BMW's, Audi's, Merc's, Volvo's have had issues, issues which aren't diagnosed and or repaired and owners left in lurch.

You still need reasons to buy this? Are you buying a SUV to use or park it in your porch or the ASC or court?

Result shown when I made a search. Try it with any other manufacturer.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota launches updated Land Cruiser 200 at 1.29 crore-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 8th November 2015 at 08:40.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 15:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
I also think at this price, petrol would have been a better proposition for India. I am also waiting for a good petrol SUV in this segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Mileage will be an issue on V8 Petrol given the road conditions here , even highways are choked unlike west besides it runs only on premium petrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Have driven an imported Landcruiser petrol here in delhi ( Embassy kinds).

Used to give mileage of 3 kmpl in heavy south delhi to central delhi traffic.

Never felt that fast either ( both petrol and diesel).

But yes, still running strong.
My new LC 200 is emitting black smoke. Please advice.

Shivjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 21:03   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My new LC 200 is emitting black smoke. Please advice.
I think it's only on hard acceleration. There are some discussions on this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...l-engines.html

In a brand new car, hardware issues should be your last worry, do check when you change fuel to another pump as well with another LC if possible. I will also try to get this verified with some other owners that I know.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st October 2016 at 21:08.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 21:46   #27
BHPian

Just get air filter element cleaned.

You should be fine.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

In last 10 years the rupee has gone up from around 40/$ to 65/$, and that reflects in CBU prices.

The USP of Toyota vis a vis Mercedes/BMW/LR is that it has the best reliability record and the repairs are much more reasonable.
Old 4th October 2016, 16:59   #29
BHPian

Toyota launches updated Land Cruiser 200 at 1.29 crore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I think it's only on hard acceleration. There are some discussions on this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...l-engines.html

In a brand new car, hardware issues should be your last worry, do check when you change fuel to another pump as well with another LC if possible. I will also try to get this verified with some other owners that I know.

It's not only under hard acceleration, it emits black smoke even while its cruising. I'll make a better video again without the waterproof cover on my GoPro, and then it'll be a lot clear.

Btw I saw another LC 200 on the highway recently. It was the same model as mine, and the guy was driving quite rash. I didn't see any black smoke at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Just get air filter element cleaned.

You should be fine.

I think the service center guys have done that.

The black smoke was noticed for the first time, when I was driving the LC on my way to drop it at the service center for its first service. My father was following me in another car, so he is the one who noticed it.

When we reached the service center my father asked them to call their head technician. To our surprise, the only way their head technician had to check for the black smoke, was to rev the engine into the red line like 25-30 times. I think a roadside mechanic would've done the same thing. It's funny that they didn't prefer using their advanced tools to check for the smoke.

They had our car in the the service center for a good 10 days, only because the team from TKM did not reach Gurgaon in time to check our car. They finally called us to inform, that the car was ready and it had no issues at all. When we went to pick the car up, we asked them if they saw any smoke during the road test, and we were told that they didn't see any smoke because they never went for a road test to check for black smoke. All they did was plug in their computer to check the values and changed the fuel. Wow!

Last week I had gone to get some work done in the Prado, so my father and I decided to make a video on the way to the service center since we were not satisfied as it's still emitting black smoke, which is evident in the video. When we went to pick the Prado up, I gave the video to their service head on a pen drive to send it to TKM and ask for their comments. He assured us that he will get back to us, which he didn't.

Now today my father called him up, and he told us that the TKM people have seen the video and they say it is perfectly normal. Now I really don't know what to say because I've never seen any properly maintained Toyotas emitting any kind of smoke from their exhaust, be it white,black or blue. And when I've already seen the same model as mine, running perfectly fine with no smoke issues, I don't understand what's wrong with my car.

This isn't expected from a brand like Toyota that I trusted the most with quality and reliability. Now the only hope I have is for them to launch a petrol LC200, as I do not wish for them to open my car's components and experiment with it to find the issue. As they haven't been able to figure it out till now, so they just aren't capable of fixing the issue and claim that it's normal.

Last edited by Shivjeet : 4th October 2016 at 17:11.
Shivjeet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 17:13   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
It's not only under hard acceleration, it emits black smoke even while its cruising. I'll make a better video again without the waterproof cover on my GoPro, and then it'll be a lot clear.

Btw I saw another LC 200 on the highway recently. It was the same model as mine, and the guy was driving quite rash. I didn't see any black smoke at all.

I think the service center guys have done that.

The black smoke was noticed for the first time, when I was driving the LC on my way to drop it at the service center for its first service. My father was following me in another car, so he is the one who noticed it.

When we reached the service center my father asked them to call their head technician. To our surprise, the only way their head technician had to check for the black smoke, was to rev the engine into the red line like 25-30 times. I think a roadside mechanic would've done the same thing. It's funny that they didn't prefer using their advanced tools to check for the smoke.
Have you tried filling fuel from a different pump?

Also take your LC out one day, just give it the beans for a couple of mins. Stay at higher revs in 2nd or 3rd gear for 15-20 seconds. After all this see if black smoke is still emitted while cruising. If at all you should see only a little puff during hard acceleration or when the gear shifts down.

Stupid question - You are using regular diesel right, not the so called premium diesels (not even sure if they are still available)?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks