Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 08:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: General Motors loses nearly 60 dealerships in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
FANTASTIC thought process. The weaklings are anyway losing dealerships - the Nissan dealer closest to my place in proper Mumbai is 90 minutes away! A standalone dealer of a weak brand will never get volume, but if he gets 3 - 4 manufacturers, he'll definitely make a tidy sum.

What they did 15 years back is history. It's irrelevant today - many have bounced back since. The problem with GM is that the company continues to make one bad decision after another.

In whose eyes? Chevrolet today is a damaged brand.

If you like the car - which I assume you still do - start getting it maintained at an independent workshop. Look in the Team-BHP Directory for recommendations.
Things went out of control when they launched Sail twins, I had been a fan of Spark and was looking at Sail twins as my next car in 2012. The quality of interiors was so pathetic that I did not look beyond the First test drive. Then I picked up Beat, when the trend was Beige interiors, GM gave a dull grey interiors to Beat, rear seat space and comfort was never like Spark, the dashboard would always restrict your movements at the front. Then they launched a facelift but did not address the short comings but went for cosmetic changes. Spark probably the best car they ever sold in the entry level segment suffered a slow death from sheer negligence. To be frank neither Beat nor the Sail twins deserved a status which would eliminate Spark. The Aveo Sail-UVA was again a missed opportunity, when diesel cars were ruling the market, they restricted UVA to petrol and later brought in the Chinese cousin. ‘Enjoy’ was such a vibrating offering from GM which nobody would ever enjoy. Cars which have an established brand name can manage with ordinary leaders but to build a brand you need great leaders. The strategy of GM leadership in India has been a?
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2015, 01:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Update on Pune GM dealership:
Singh Motors' service center in Wagholi is shut down. They are not answering the phone. Went to their showroom in Kharadi, only to find it desolate and not a single car around
No update from GM or Singh Motors that they are closing shop as I have been servicing the car from them for the last three years ! Surprisingly for the first time since 2011 I got a Birthday wish message from Chevrolet.

New showroom owned by Pethkar (renowned builder in Pune, also dealer of Mitsubishi motors) named 'Ocean' opened on Mumbai-Bangalore highway near Warje flyover. No Trailblazer for display, still keeping the Spark with nice aftermarket wheels on display, wonder how it is going to work. Inquired for service center, said it will take a month for the service center to be operational.

To summarize, there is no authorized service center for Pune Chevvy owners as I write this post, there is Platinum Chevrolet in PCMC but that is a little too far. The guy from 'Ocean' told me to check one at Shankarsheth Road (Market Yard), it is there with name 'Om Sai Chevrolet', but the same is not listed on Chevvy website. Will check it out and update soon.

Situation just became dangerous !
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 10:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Follow up on my earlier post:

Chevrolet website has now listed 'Saibaba Chevrolet' in their dealership and removed Singh Chevrolet. That was quick. But the map location for Saibaba Chevrolet is way off the actual location. I will be checking it out in the next few days.
Old 9th December 2015, 14:24   #34
BHPian

I just got my 2013 Beat Petrol serviced from my FNG 15 days ago. It used to be sent to the ASC but was asked to get it after 10 days due to over-booking (Platinum Chevrolet) hence didnt bother. Followed the instructions in the Owner's manual & aal is well.
Old 18th December 2015, 10:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Just an update - A new GM dealership seems to be coming up in Mira road. It is beneath Kashimira flyover on NH-8, on the south bound side. Saw work in progress yesterday.
Old 18th December 2015, 14:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Just an update - A new GM dealership seems to be coming up in Mira road. It is beneath Kashimira flyover on NH-8, on the south bound side. Saw work in progress yesterday.
Right next to MAN opus. I am happy that they didnt take the space where Nissan was earlier. That building looks jinxed and no business has ever flourished in that premise (Laxmi Maruti, a few independent service centers and finally Kamla Nissan).

I hope they make enough sales to succeed.
Old 20th March 2016, 08:54   #37
BHPian

Update on Trident Bangalore. Got the following mail from Chevrolet .
__________________________________________________ _________
Chevrolet Complete Care is our promise to provide you with our best service, exceptional care and peace of mind.

To ensure we are delivering on our promise, we are writing to inform you that the below mentioned Chevrolet dealer in your city is available to take care of your service and sales needs.

• Dealer Name: KHT Chevrolet - Bangalore (Peenya Industrial Area)
• Address:No.-305, 5th Main Road, 2nd Cross, 4th Phase Peenya Industri 560058 Karnataka
• Contact Number:080-49353637

Please note that your old Chevrolet Dealer Trident has closed. Please be assured that our Chevrolet Complete Care Commitment* which includes U-First, Warranty, 24x7 Roadside Assistance and the Chevrolet Promise remains intact.

For any further assistance, please get in touch with Chevrolet Customer Care. We would be delighted to help!

Call us : 1800 3000 8080
Write to : gmi.cac@gm.com
__________________________________________________ _________

Now only KHT and Kropex left in Bangalore.
Old 1st September 2016, 13:51   #38
Team-BHP Support

Two dealerships at Purnia & Bhagalpur have shut shop. They are moving to brand Renault. As both are owned by same organization, hence the decision to close both.

Reason : No growth save for ambulance Taveras.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 12:48   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Another 30 GM dealerships bite the dust - link. That's 90 lost.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 13:28   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a sort of free fall now and I don't see the company putting in any real effort to arrest this fall. Supporting the dealers by giving cash incentives to cover their losses is GM's strategy? They want to run their own version of the NREGA or what?
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 13:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

The GOI should act against such willingly defunct companies, else the pet project of "Make in India" may turn out be "Mock in India".
Old 5th April 2017, 08:25   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

General Motors hints at winding down its India operations,.

Quote:
By end April all production at General Motors India’s Halol plant will come to a halt. Halol stopped Cruze, (a sedan) production last week and Tavera (utility vehicle) will stop by April 28, 2017.
Quote:
As for General Motors India’s other plant in Talegaon, sources say production of right hand drive vehicles — suitable for sale in India — has stopped and the only product currently being made there is the left hand drive Beat (hatchback), meant for export to Mexico.
Quote:
General Motors’ Chinese partner SAIC is learnt to be in negotiations for the Halol plant — which it wants without any encumbrances.

General Motors India is likely to take a soft approach to winding up operations in India given the interests of its dealers and its current consumer base in India.

The company, officially maintains that it is reviewing its India plans even though global investments have been frozen and production of most models have stopped.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th April 2017 at 08:28.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks