Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2015, 14:43   #1
Team-BHP Support

October 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Management Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th November 2015 at 18:00. Reason: Fixing image hosting issue
Aditya is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 14:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: October 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 14:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 14:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 14:57   #5
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing. Plus the percentage market share and overall segment-wise sales are colour-coded to reflect relative position.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:
Attached Thumbnails
October 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg  

October 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg  

October 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg  

October 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 7th November 2015 at 17:47. Reason: Adding your post to the opening page :)
jessie007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 15:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Its Diwali time and its reflecting in the numbers for almost all the manufacturer's. Good show, specially by Maruti and Hyundai. DZire is number 1 again, simply great. Good show by Ciaz, new Ertiga as well. S-cross also not doing bad with limited numbers of Nexa showrooms. Creta is doing just amazing. Interesting to see i10 Grand and i20 Elite numbers once Baleno settles in the market and Nexa spread is increased. Overall Happy Diwali to all
Old 5th November 2015, 15:45   #7
BANNED

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 7th November 2015 at 13:36.
balechaparka is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th November 2015, 15:47   #8
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If after all the advertising that GM has done for the Cruz it's sales has moved from 49 units to 87 wouldn't that money have been better spent on The Sail Twins and the Beat? More customers in the showroom would have meant better sales of the Cruz as well.

Toyota waiting for New Innova to refresh it's sales?

TUV 300 doing OK.

Ford I believe is selling close to production capacity limit so the numbers they are doing should be close to the max that they can do in India keeping export at current levels.

Numbers for new release vehicles could be misleading for October and November festival months. Reality will only be known by Feb next year and Dec and Jan figures also tend to be skewed due to year end or year start trends.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 15:56   #9
BHPian

I just cannot believe Dzire numbers. Alto, Dzire and Wagon R are the most outstanding and consistent performers for Maruti.

I think the Dzire and Grandi10 numbers are much higher because of companies like Ola and Uber expanding in full force. City and Ciaz showing good numbers although I am wondering why Ciaz is not doing more volumes.
Saanil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 16:09   #10
BHPian

My observations:

1. Ford: Sad to see a competent product in terms of features and pricing like Aspire sales go down month on month. Too early to comment on the new Figo and good to see Ecosport holding the fort. Ford would really be wondering what more needs to be done to clock higher sales.

2. Honda: Amaze has been a car which has seen very wild swings in its sales for the past 12 months or so. My guess is that Amaze is selling mainly on discounts and depending on the month when inventory is piling up they are pushing sales by giving higher discounts and hence these wild swings in the sales. Jazz seems to have settled at around 4.5k per month, and it remains to be seen how much the Baleno effect rubs on this model. City's has reached back to its 7k mark and the lesser told about the Mobilio the better.

3. Hyundai: The Creta effect is very very visible now and company should be able to hold on to these levels atleast for the next 6 months or so. Big surprise in the sharp jump in the Grand I10 figures. Happy to see a capable all round product like the Xcent back to the 5k league. Elite I20 is holding strong at 11k mark and i guess in next 2 months we should be able to see how it fares with the Baleno.

4. Mahindra: Bolero has reclaimed the SUV crown. A very impressive start for the TUV. Overall we see some healthy growth in all their flagship models like the Scorpio and Xuv500,

5. Maruti: Baleno's figures not surprising, should give a tough fight in the segment from next month to the I20, Polo, Jazz and the Figo twins. But Dzire taking the crown of the monthly sales for all cars once again proves the growing maturity of the buyers and its extremly VFM positioning. Should see in a couple of months if there is cannibalization into the Swift twins by the Baleno, but given the limited read of the Nexa shouldn't be an issue. Strong show again by Swift, WagonR and Ciaz. Celerio seems to be struggling a bit. Given the pricing of S-cross and Nexa angle, I believe its clocking reasonable sales.

6. Nissan and Renault: Duster and Terrano were supposed to be the most adversely affected models post Creta, but sales chart seems to show otherwise. Guess good discounts going in the market for these 2. Kwid figures will have to been watched for a couple of more months to ascertain if its really doing well.

7. Tata: Zest and Bolt seem to be going nowhere neither does the Nano. Overall Tata would be aching their brains as to what next to be done to improve the situation.

8. VW: Contrary to general perception and also the news on VW holding back deliveries of the Polo to sort out a handbrake issue, Polo and Vento sales have only improved in Oct which is rather interesting.
abhik897 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 16:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

• Decent start by Kwid. Bit of a missed opportunity though, COnsidering the hype, initial bookings and marketing push, could have easily been in the top 5-7 if Renault had planned for ~10K units monthly production. No real impact seen yet on the Alto and Eon.
  • Amaze continues its good run in the compact sedan space with Xcent not far behind. Surprised to see that the Aspire is not making more of an impact. Or is it Ford's production constraints? Nothing seems to impact the Dzire.
  • Jazz settling at the 5K mark. Elite i20 does not seem impacted at all. Good start by the Baleno.
  • Creta continues to rock. S-Cross struggling ~3000 units would be good for most manufacturers, but for Maruti it is the 2nd slowest selling car after Ritz. Limited Nexa reach could be a cause.
  • City and Ciaz continue to rule the C Segment. Vento and Verna fight it out for a distant 3rd spot.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 16:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Some great success stories and some disappointments.

The Mega launches resulting in super hits:

1) Kwid

What a splash this "little" 800 cc has created. And deservedly so.
We have always been short of options in the bottom spectrum with only the Eon a nicely stitched car to chose from.

Welcome the Kwid and the equation changes.
The Alto is overtaken and takes a sharp fall. The Dzire regains its numero Uno position and this time with a margin.

What remains to be seen is the after sales Renault come up with once a lot of Kwid's are rolling on the roads.

2) Baleno

I am of the firm belief that the Baleno belongs to the normal Maruti showrooms. Limiting the sale from Nexa also limits its sales reach.

This car has the potential to be where the Swift is today.
A realistic sales of 12K + is achievable from the Baleno.

Though the initial response is strong at close to 5K shipments, I still believe that the Nexa is sort of clipping the wings of a potential 7K-8K additional sales from the Baleno

3) TUV 300

Good show for the "Bahubali" promoted "Tank".
Close to 5K from this 3 pot engine surely suggests that the acceptability for this TUV is far better than some of their recent launches.

Going forward, I think the TUV should stabilize in the 3-3.5K range, which is not bad for a pseudo SUV.

4) Creta

It has nicely found a snug fit in the 7K range. Good fit and finish, road presence and a superior dealer backing will help see this Korean SUV doing well in the months to come.

The Disappointments

1) S Cross
With the pricing disaster that Maruti did with the S Cross, it is no wonder that the recent launch is already going for massive discounts.

But the problem with the S Cross is not the pricing alone.
It is also the positioning.

Creta is considered as a step down from the Santa Fe. It is posh and imposing.
That's not the case with the S Cross.

It looks like an over grown hatch and now, the Baleno looks like a much better proposition.

Wrong pricing for a wrongly positioned product!!

2) Aspire

The Aspire at 3K in only the second month of its launch is not a good sign.
Ideally, it should have been in the 5K range.

I am discounting the month though due to the Baleno hype and hope to see the competent Ford "mini" sedan in the 4-4.5K mark next month.

3) Celerio

Other than the AMT, there is nothing to find here. With the impending launch of the Wagon R AMT, I see a total annihilation for this cross variant!!

Whats Wrong, remains Wrong

1) GM

Maruti's weaker selling car= S Cross = 3017
Full GM Portfolio = 2738

Now, going forward, GM has shed 60 dealers as well.

They are just going one way here=== Patal yatra!!

2) Fiat

You need to at least give in to the Italians. They make exciting cars and launching the Abarth against the tide is a pat on their back.

But where are the nos. When will it come.
Answer= Sorry Sir. The product is stale. People still fear the brand and avoid it with a barge pole or plague(whichever you chose).
The nos. wont come in Sir.

I quit!!
arnabchak is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 16:23   #13
BHPian

Kwid has made its presence evidently visible and even Duster shows close to 700 cars sold more as compared to September, Creta still going strong for Hyundai and it is going to stay that way for some months to come.Next month it would be more interesting with the introduction of Baleno, premium and non-premium hatchback numbers are going to see major changes.

Maruti is having a dream run like Alladin flying high on (Dzire) magic carpet which refuses to touch down, Hyundai Xcent and Honda Amaze sales have picked up pace with festive offers and Ford Aspire is losing grip post the initial launch and may hover around the 3K - 3.5K sales figures. Ford Figo hatch has pulled in impressive numbers but again Baleno's entry on sales chart is going to cause some impact.

Ford has listed Aspire for festive offers tad too late with Diwali just few days away and they have probably realized that lack of proper promotion and visibility is pulling down a credible product.

Link to offer page here - https://www.india.ford.com/offers

Maruti is not seeing much up shift in S-Cross sales even with the recently announced discounts, Ertiga face lift has being well received with Ciaz adding to sales numbers may be after the hybrid version was introduced.
KreativeGeek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 16:50   #14
Lij
BHPian

Are the Fiesta and classic still on sale? The October numbers say 16 units dispatched to dealers.

Last edited by Lij : 5th November 2015 at 16:51.
Old 5th November 2015, 18:10   #15
BHPian

Mahindra seems to be firing consistently with upgrades/new launches and has credible and unique products in the B, C, D segments.

The bolero also being a blockbuster in the Rural economy that is 50% of our economy.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks