Old 2nd January 2016, 11:47   #46

Re: Maruti launches WagonR & Stingray VXi AMT at Rs. 4.77 / 4.99 lakh

Now that Wagon R AMT is launched, will it eat the market for Celerio? I feel Wagon R looks better than Celerio from outside and it's interiors are more upmarket compared to Celerio. Plus it is a proven car.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:58   #47

Celerio & Wagon-R are two different models. If we use your logic, Wagon-R AMT should not be there today just because Celerio AMT is there.
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:31   #48

Celerio & Wagon-R are two different models. If we use your logic, Wagon-R AMT should not be there today just because Celerio AMT is there.
What I am trying to say is that well acceptance of AMT by the masses (first Celerio and then Alto K10) is definitely the reason we are seeing AMT today in WagonR.
Maruti never tasted that success with their conventional 4 speed ATs.
The Ritz AT and Dzire AT both were made to order (As per my nearest dealer). A-Star AT too had poor demand throughout its product cycle.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 2nd January 2016 at 12:35. Reason: Typo
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 18:26   #49

I think the issue is that apart from different body shells, there is nothing much which separates Wagon-R AMT and Celerio AMT. Since Wagon-R is an established model with a loyal customer base, with the addition of AMT, Celerio lost on its USP.

You might argue that even Alto runs on the same engine and AMT, but the difference between body shell and space inside an Alto and Wagon-R is a factor unlike the same difference between Celerio and Wagon-R.

I am in market for a "AMT Automatic" for my wife and I can't figure out what separates Celerio AMT and Wagon-R AMT. If only these cars figure in the final selection list, Wagon-R probably will come out as winner just because it is a Wagon-R.
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 21:03   #50

Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
I am in market for a "AMT Automatic" for my wife and I can't figure out what separates Celerio AMT and Wagon-R AMT. If only these cars figure in the final selection list, Wagon-R probably will come out as winner just because it is a Wagon-R.
Wagon-R is a tall narrow car. Celerio is a wider car. The Celerio should be more stable any day. The Celerio interiors look better too. The WagonR interiors look pretty basic. From a safety perspective, I guess both should be evenly matched.

WagonR is better in legroom and headroom department.
Old 4th January 2016, 21:18   #51

Different Styles for different folks :-)
Old 4th January 2016, 21:41   #52

Had the same dilemma ; but chose the Celerio over Wagon R for the following reasons:

1. Newer engine K-Next
2. Higher ground clearance
3. Wider , feels more spacious
4. With ZXI (O) AMT the Celerio is better equipped than the top end Wagon R VXI (O) AMT
5. Wagon R ,despite it huge sales volumes is an ageing product line.

Have always liked the Wagon R looks, certainly made the choice that much more difficult.

My tc's

Kenneth
Kenneth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 23:22   #53

Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Wagon-R is a tall narrow car. Celerio is a wider car. The Celerio should be more stable any day. The Celerio interiors look better too. The WagonR interiors look pretty basic. From a safety perspective, I guess both should be evenly matched.

WagonR is better in legroom and headroom department.
I had never seen Celerio's interiors, but a friend who bought Wagon R VXi few days ago commented that it's interiors are looking better than Celerio and hence he opted for WagonR.
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:35   #54

Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
I had never seen Celerio's interiors, but a friend who bought Wagon R VXi few days ago commented that it's interiors are looking better than Celerio and hence he opted for WagonR.
Even I have the same impression . Last evening I was at Pratham motors on the ORR, to check out the AMT options for better half. The WaganR VXI's interiors looked better to my eyes than the Celerio ZXI.

I was almost decided on a K10- AMT without checking the cars physically.
After seeing them (Not driven any one yet) Wagan R seems more value for money compared to Alto 10 . With 50 -60 K difference you get a roomier & practical car but its already aged. The Celerio seems more future proof compared to Wagen R. But is the premium worth ??

The Confusion will last couple of months for sure .
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:11   #55

We were in the market for an AMT for my wife. Celerio and Wagon R were the contenders. My wife finally selected the Wagon R for the following reasons :

1. My wife felt the driver seat ergonomics and over all visibility better than the Celerio
2. The seats are wide and high making one feel more comfortable.
3. The rear seat/bench especially was very comfortable in comparison to the Celerio. We felt it had better leg room as well.
4. Boot space was basic - but we plan to use it more for the in-city runs so not a big issue.
5. Feature wise the VXi AMT variant offered more.
6. She liked the "concealed basket" under the front passenger seat - very useful for storing items away from prying eyes and also for holding veggies/fruits picked up from roadside vendors.

She has been using the car for 2-1/2 months (~1700 Kms) and is happy with it. Mileage is 13-14 Kmpl.

Only issue so far - once the AMT unit seems to have "frozen". She was trying to park and she moved the drive mode selector from D to R but the unit got stuck in N. She had to switch off the engine and pull out the key and restart. The unit has behaved normally since then.
krish11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 10:21   #56
NPV

According to 3 different Maruti dealerships I've been speaking to regarding purchase of a Wagon R, they haven't sold a single one with the (O) pack with Dual airbags and ABS They attribute this to long wait times almost 4 months+ which puts off the potential buyer who then settles for a variant without the airbags and ABS. They say same is the case with Alto 800 and K10 as well! The other perspective is that there are hardly any customers who are particular about buying the variants with (O) pack.
The announcement of the (O) pack by Maruti was done way back in November 2015
Anyone on the forum who recently bought an Alto 800/K10/Wagon R in Bangalore with the Dual Airbags and ABS (O) pack ?

Last edited by NPV : 13th March 2016 at 10:39.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 11:58   #57

I have got the same response from 2 dealers. This may be a marketing gimmick from Maruti. I hope they are not trying to cook-up some stats that Indian buyer don't prefer safety options even if they are available. That statistics may be used when govt will make ABS & airbags mandatory.
ansumaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 14:25   #58

I had a similar experience when thinking of exchanging my Swift for either a wagonR or a Celerio.
I was particular to ask for the option pack but the sales guy at the dealership was very cranky when I pressed for it. He told me there would be a minimum waiting period of 1½ months..
I was anyway put off by the size of the vehicle and felt shortchanged with what was offered for 6.15 lacs on road (not counting the discount). But here comes the shocker.. He offered me another 15k on my Swift only if I settled for either the wagonR vxi or the Celerio zxi non option variant which was readily avaliable in stock. Also, the option pack variant had lesser discounts than the regular one. Why such tactics? Why deter someone wanting to buy their cars with the safety features! They're just making a joke of what the company is offering
Old 13th March 2016, 16:23   #59

Originally Posted by NPV View Post
According to 3 different Maruti dealerships I've been speaking to regarding purchase of a Wagon R, they haven't sold a single one with the (O) pack with Dual airbags and ABS They attribute this to long wait times almost 4 months+ which puts off the potential buyer who then settles for a variant without the airbags and ABS. They say same is the case with Alto 800 and K10 as well! The other perspective is that there are hardly any customers who are particular about buying the variants with (O) pack.
The announcement of the (O) pack by Maruti was done way back in November 2015
Anyone on the forum who recently bought an Alto 800/K10/Wagon R in Bangalore with the Dual Airbags and ABS (O) pack ?
NPV, Are you looking for a Manual? I had been to Pratham Motors Belandur today and they have one VXI (O) in stock. But as you mentioned, they seem to be actively trying to discourage the (O) variant. This SA told me the wait can go as long as 6 months for an AMT VXI (O). That sounds pretty absurd.
Old 13th March 2016, 21:01   #60
NPV

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
NPV, Are you looking for a Manual? I had been to Pratham Motors Belandur today and they have one VXI (O) in stock. But as you mentioned, they seem to be actively trying to discourage the (O) variant. This SA told me the wait can go as long as 6 months for an AMT VXI (O). That sounds pretty absurd.
Yes looking for manual transmission. I'm talking to Pratham and they told me they have in stock 1 Vxi and 1 Vxi (O) AMT, no Vxi (O) manual. Do let me know if you are sure they have a manual Vxi (O).