Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 18:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: General Motors CEO Mary Barra in India to review progress

I think Late Karl Slym had indeed brought some fresh air into the portfolio & with his 'Karl Slym' promise. The product line definitely looked cool with Spark, Beat, Cruze etc. They (GM) failed to pick from there. All of those are too long in the tooth & Cruze was killed by hiking the price unreasonably; so was Captiva.

Then they topped all these with the Sail twins instead of the hawt Sonic twins. Chevy was desirable once upon a time, not any more. GM - we, Indians like stylish products more than budget products; even Toyota couldn't get away with it, so please create a USP for yourself.

Edit:: Dear Mary, if you want to revive GM from the ditch, please shift your base to India for 3 years & work closely with the team & market here. Your yearly leisure trip isn't the solution.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th November 2015 at 18:19. Reason: Added 'Edit' portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 19:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

If there is one thing that Ms. Barra must do on this visit, she must read this thread(she can also read it while in the US, but if you can see where I am coming from). This is a sample of how India feels and would hold her in good stead as she goes about steering the Indian arm out of extinction.

The number one question that plagues my mind is does GM 'want' to do well in India. They give me the feeling that they are just warming the benches waiting for an opportune moment that has long been coming for them

If they call our Moderators or get the Distinguished Bhpians on a call, there would be more ideas coming from them than the whole of their Executives

Reminds me of Humpty Dumpty - All the Kings horses and all the Kings men could not put humpty dumpty togther again

It happens in every failing Company. The ones who have the Boss's eyes and ears do not have their feet on the ground or are not in touch with reality
TheARUN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 20:21   #18
BHPian

Management Punditz have just published US Car Sales data for Oct '15 and it indicates how small the Indian market is for GM is. That may answer why they are not focusing much on performance in India.

Quote:
When we compare this data to Indian market - Oct'15 Indian car sales for all OEM's included was 2,40,760 while GM alone was able to sell 2,62,993. Thus, GM Oct'15 sales > Indian Car Sales for Oct'15.
Complete data is available here: http://management-punditz.blogspot.in/

The Indian Car Market is way too small compared to US, to affect GM (or Ford, Toyota) global numbers in any significant manner in the forseeable future.
mustang_shelby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 10:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Indian Automotive market is actually the fourth in size after China, US and Japan. None of the bigger companies can ever expect to exceed anything above 25% of market size in the bigger markets, so they cannot afford to just ignore India.

Rahul
Old 10th November 2015, 14:30   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
The Indian Car Market is way too small compared to US, to affect GM (or Ford, Toyota) global numbers in any significant manner in the forseeable future.
If the answer to the problem would have been that simple GM would have simply folded their base from here and exited the market. Instead of that they are losing money running dealerships, service centers, running their plants not to speak of supporting these white elephant execs to travel to India every year in the name of revival.

The answer lies elsewhere my friend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks