Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2016, 12:08   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Datsun Redi-Go Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Is this how the new gen small cars are being built? Amazed to see the amount of flex in that front bumper.

No comments! None at all! The car just doesn't deserve it!

However, is that the petrol engine from the Redi-go? Why is it sounding so harsh like a diesel motor? Very poor NVH levels, if so!
Old 8th June 2016, 13:35   #77
BHPian

Redi-Go may be priced to compete with Alto, but it can never challenge Alto. Alto automatically goes into consideration list of a budget car buyer. Redi-Go will have to struggle to get into the list. It takes a lot to break into the buyer's High involment - High value purchase (for the buyer) decisions , just undercutting Alto will not do.
Old 8th June 2016, 15:47   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Is this how the new gen small cars are being built? Amazed to see the amount of flex in that front bumper.https://Youtu.be/UqwTzbTxD10
The RediGo is 25 Kg lighter than the Kwid. The Kwid weighs 660 kilograms.
While I may be wrong in saying this, but I have serious doubts about the safety of occupants in this car. The plastic seems to flex like in a toy!
I also wonder if this is the world's lightest hatchback. I was going through a list which said that the Smart for two was the lightest hatchback in Canada at 880 kilograms. This one is 250 Kg less than that.
The pricing is good but the interiors are not acceptable at all. Even our Nano feels better than this- at least the stereo is well integrated.
The Go failed because it was an average product from a company no one knew about. The Go+failed because of this reason and the attitude displayed by the showroom executives (I had a bad experience). My-TVS provides on road assistance for Tata as well and my experience with them has been really bad. They have a limited coverage, but sometimes something is better than nothing.

We have to see how this car performs in our market to understand if buyers prefer cut-price solutions that look good or they want real value and a good ownership experience. If it is the latter, the Alto will win anyday.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 8th June 2016 at 15:48.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 21:17   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The RediGo is 25 Kg lighter than the Kwid. The Kwid weighs 660 kilograms.
Saw in a review (Powerdrift) that the RediGo is also shorter and narrower than the Kwid, though taller. That is the claimed reason for the lower weight.

As far as the quality of the plastic bumpers is concerned, they are really there for show in this entire segment.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 11:35   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is this how the new gen small cars are being built? Amazed to see the amount of flex in that front bumper.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
As far as the quality of the plastic bumpers is concerned, they are really there for show in this entire segment.
Interesting topic for discussion...

Do you think if these bumpers (even from a D-sement car) were entirely removed from the car before a frontal crash test, it would score differently? I'm guessing; but I don't think it would affect the result much at all.

So then why are these bumpers there?

1) Cosmetics
2) Aerodynamics
3) Cushion & prevent damage for low-speed/low-impact collisions
4) Pedestrian safety

Now out of the above reasons, having thin and easily flexible bumpers like the Redi-GO wouldn't affect the first 2 points, but I'd say it certainly would affect point 3 & 4!
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 12:13   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
+

Interesting topic for discussion...

Do you think if these bumpers (even from a D-sement car) were entirely removed from the car before a frontal crash test, it would score differently? I'm guessing; but I don't think it would affect the result much at all.

1) Cosmetics
2) Aerodynamics
4) Pedestrian safety

Now out of the above reasons, having thin and easily flexible bumpers like the Redi-GO wouldn't affect the first 2 points, but I'd say it certainly would affect point 3 & 4!
+1 to that.

My friend just got a Baleno and I have seen the very same quality of bumpers on it. For anyone interested, just press your thumb anywhere near the rear number plates of the Baleno and you will know what I am talking about.

I also discovered the above point no.3 when a bike crashed at a very low speed into the Baleno's rear bumper. All I did was just wriggle my hand behind the bumper at the point of impact and pushed it hard. Voila! the bumper was back to 'normal'.

Had my WagonR been so easily repairable in such a case? No. But, will my WagonR have such damage in a similar condition? I don't think so. I have been rammed by 3 motorcyclists on different occasions and there is no damage whatsoever. Now, I arrive at the same question. Is point no.3 good? No for the car but yes for the pedestrian for sure, which is point no.4.

While I understand the thin bumper design, I don't support the thin body sheets that the cars are coming. All in the name of reducing weight and improving FE. We have several posts of Maruti and Honda cars faring poorly in accidents while those of Fiat, Ford and even Tata surviving much better. I agree I can't judge and generalize speed of impact, the force and the momentum created, etc but we do get to see several instances with quite similar results. And here, I am not at all talking about the safety features like Airbags, ABS and the survival of the occupants. I am just commenting on the degree of deformation of the cars.

Note: I am a Maruti owner for the past 16 years.
Old 9th June 2016, 12:16   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

1) Cosmetics
2) Aerodynamics
4) Pedestrian safety

It may also impact the safety ratings, depending on which country/rating one is looking at. I believe some also include the pedestrian safety results in the overall rating along with the occupants.

These bumpers are useless in low-speed/low-impact collisions because:

1. They deform easily, but don't return to their original shape (Experience from the Maruti 800 and Omni bumpers, not sure about the painted Alto bumpers)

2. They transfer the impact to the underlying metal structure/member which is not good for the car in the case of a car to inanimate object impact, and not good for the object if it is not inanimate

My father had a Cielo from around 2002 to 2006, and that is the only car that I know of (below the luxury sedan range) in India that had proper multi-stage bumpers.

I'm not sure if these would help a pedestrian, but a friend had a taxi company and their Cielo was rear-ended by a jeep quite severely while on a trip in Delhi. The bumper clips popped out and the bumper was on the road, but it re-formed itself and could be reattached with a fresh set of clips. Damage to the pocket was less than 1k, no painting required.

My conclusion is that these super-flexible bumpers would prevent injury to a pedestrian and to the car only at pedestrian pace. The more robust ones would probably be better for both at slightly higher speeds.
Old 9th June 2016, 13:18   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Overdrive has road-tested and reviewed the Redi-Go.

Excerpts:

Quote:
There are certain areas that highlight various cost-cutting measures like the lack of enough cladding around the pillars(exposed metal instead), seat mechanism and foot well or just having one reversing lamp instead of the usual two. Justifying it by considering the price range of Rs 2.5 – 3.5 lakh won’t be right, especially when you realize that even the Renault Kwid is positioned in the same segment and offers better quality of interiors compared to the redi-Go.

Crank up the motor and you hear a familiar note. The engine idles at a little less than 900rpm. The motor doesn’t feel eager at lower revs, but comes into its zone beyond the 2,800rpm mark. I liked the motor’s mid-range performance, and the car feels a bit more energetic than the Kwid. But don’t expect it to be as rev-happy as the engines in the Maruti and Hyundai rivals. That said, I appreciate its ability to cruise effortlessly at speeds of 80-90kmph in fifth gear. The engine refinement is impressive for this class, but at higher speeds, the motor noise starts seeping inside the cabin. With two passengers, the redi-Go’s motor doesn’t feel stressed but with four, the motor demands frequent shifts within the lower gears. This was felt especially while climbing flyovers. Speaking of the transmission, the unit is not the best in the business and the shifts feel rubbery.

Expectedly, the redi-Go feels light on its wheels while zipping around town. The top-end variants get a speed-sensitive electric power steering. The steering weights up well at highway speeds but conveniently light at city speeds. Its tall seating position and compact bonnet make it easy for the driver to get a judgement and therefore, it’s quite easy to drive in the city. The grip levels of the 155/80 R13 Ceat tyres were good for city roads. Even on winding roads, the rubber holds on to the tarmac without losing on confidence. Ride quality is decent at city speeds, but at highway speeds the car has an unsettling feeling, again highlighting the fact that this is more of a city car after all.
The Datsun Redi-Go Hatchback-datsunredigo19.jpg

The Datsun Redi-Go Hatchback-datsunredigo13.jpg

The Datsun Redi-Go Hatchback-datsunredigo12.jpg

The Datsun Redi-Go Hatchback-datsunredigo6.jpg

The Datsun Redi-Go Hatchback-datsunredigo9.jpg

OverDrive
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 14:29   #84
BHPian

Saw an ad in TOI today:

Datsun Redi-go launched for Rs 2.39 lakhs

Link to a thread:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-401596.aspx
Old 15th June 2016, 11:15   #85
Team-BHP Support

Commercials released for the new Datsun-

Old 16th June 2016, 09:16   #86
BHPian

Quote:
These bumpers are useless in low-speed/low-impact collisions because:

1. They deform easily, but don't return to their original shape (Experience from the Maruti 800 and Omni bumpers, not sure about the painted Alto bumpers)

2. They transfer the impact to the underlying metal structure/member which is not good for the car in the case of a car to inanimate object impact, and not good for the object if it is not inanimate
I beg to differ on this point. The performance of the bumper will depends on the properties of the material used, like tensile strength, shear strength etc., the structural engineering and the level of crumble zones. Now a days all manufacturers tries to reduce costs and weight by using high performance polymers, than using older materials used in older cars. As far as I understand, the material selection process for automotive industry is a long process, which comprises of stringent tests and have to strictly comply with various ISO & UL standards. Even the aircraft manufacturers are doing the same. Thereby by being something have a lightweight doesn't mean that its unsafe.

Its a sad part to see most of us blabber the opinions, with out proper study or technical evidence.

I feel Redi Go will be a big hit in the market, if they provide proper sales network, service and support. I feel it is a practical car and will really going to fill the void space of our old tall boy - Santro, if properly marketed.
Old 16th June 2016, 10:02   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
I feel Redi Go will be a big hit in the market, if they provide proper sales network, service and support.
Don't think the market has even noticed that such a car got launched! Unlike the Renault Kwid, RediGo brings very less USPs to the table and is sure to go unnoticed IMO.

Just see how this thread died immediately after launch.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 11:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I beg to differ on this point. The performance of the bumper will depends on the properties of the material used, like tensile strength, shear strength etc., the structural engineering and the level of crumble zones.
While I am sure you meant crumple zones, I'm also positive you didn't really understand the point of my post. These bumpers are useless because they transfer the impact to the body shell, which is undisputed based on the video evidence of the bumper deforming with the pressure of just a finger. Let me explain again with scenarios:

1. Impact with another vehicle/inanimate object - Bumper deforms with minimal energy absorption, causing damage to the underlying metal structure. This results in expensive repairs and repaint

2. Impact with a pedestrian - Same as above, however the pedestrian suffers greater injury because the bumper again deforms too easily and the energy is almost entirely transferred to the pedestrian (their legs, most likely)

Quote:
Now a days all manufacturers tries to reduce costs and weight by using high performance polymers, than using older materials used in older cars. As far as I understand, the material selection process for automotive industry is a long process, which comprises of stringent tests and have to strictly comply with various ISO & UL standards. Even the aircraft manufacturers are doing the same. Thereby by being something have a lightweight doesn't mean that its unsafe.
I don't recall saying anything about them being unsafe because they're light. I did say that they are unsafe because they are too flexible, and hence don't do what they should be doing - absorbing bumps.

Also if these high performance polymers are simultaneously so effective, light-weight and cheap enough to be used on a Rs.2.5lakh car, would they not be used by all car manufacturers?

Please don't bring the aircraft manufacturers into this discussion because the minimum quality and serviceability of every single component in an aircraft is subject to legal standards and scrutiny. Our cars don't even have a basic overall crash safety requirement, forget about quality.

Quote:
Its a sad part to see most of us blabber the opinions, with out proper study or technical evidence.
Sorry, what evidence other than the video would you like?

Also, you either don't know what "blabber" means or you are being deliberately offensive. I'll choose to believe the former, and let it go.

Quote:
I feel Redi Go will be a big hit in the market, if they provide proper sales network, service and support. I feel it is a practical car and will really going to fill the void space of our old tall boy - Santro, if properly marketed.
Lot of ifs there, but you are welcome to your opinion.

I feel the RediGo will not make much of a splash precisely because of the ifs you've mentioned, but am quite happy to be proved wrong.
Old 16th June 2016, 15:36   #89
BHPian

Mod Note: Our Redi-GO Report has been taken live at this link (Datsun Redi-GO : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Quote:
Let me explain again with scenarios:

2. Impact with a pedestrian - Same as above, however the pedestrian suffers greater injury because the bumper again deforms too easily and the energy is almost entirely transferred to the pedestrian (their legs, most likely)
Velu, Appreciate for positively hitting down all my points....

But one thing, kindly explain - one vehicle which will do a feather touch, while hitting a pedestrian?

Even a simple cycle is enough to cause a serious injury for a pedestrian.

If we are so concerned, this need to be first implemented at the state buses and trucks.

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2016 at 22:25. Reason: Linking to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed