Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2017, 18:25   #2311
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
People,what does the attached poster mean??
Below I feel would be the second biggest launch of September

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/renault...tember-21-2017

Last edited by snaseer : 18th September 2017 at 18:32.
Old 18th September 2017, 18:49   #2312
BHPian

I test drove a XZ+ diesel a few days back. Here are my impressions;

1. Thumps up to KHT Motors for following up till the time I said yes for the test drive. The showroom had some buzz around even at 7pm in the evening. Atleast 3 families test drove the same car before us. Also there was a delivery of a Hexa and a Tiago happening parallely. +
2. Sales guy who was asigned to me was not properly informed about the product or the features of Nexon. Later learned that he had joined KHT motors a few days back. But still a -
3. Exterior looks from the front side are very good. Rear is kind of OK for me. But wife didn't like the rear. She rightly felt that the rear is too busy. Also she felt that the vehicle looks a size smaller to Ecosport. I had to explain this mainly because of the Coupe styled roof and lower height compared to Ecosport. + for front, - for rear
4. Once inside, wifey was very impressed. She liked the interiors. This this was a big +
5. I drove the vehicle for good 8-9kms and tried all the modes. City should be the default mode. One can start in 2nd gear from standstill. 3rd gear and she pulls for as low as 20kmph. Very impressed with the engine and gear box combination. No complaints at all. +
6. Steering is light at low speeds but weighs up quite well. Body roll was very minimal. I was also very impressed by the way I could navigate the traffic. Pot holes were taken care with ease too. A big +

In the end I came out very impressed. Only thing bothering me is about my wife's observation about the looks of the car. Let's see how things turn up in the near future.
RoadSurfer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 23:07   #2313
Team-BHP Support

We took the Nexon to the nearby field, the same one we took the Jeep Compass to. It was not an extended drive, but just to check the ground clearance. The ground clearance of the Nexon is really good. RavenAvi has already posted the video of the mild offroading that we did. Sharing it again along with a few clicks.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-2.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-3.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-4.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-5.jpg
BlackPearl is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 00:05   #2314
Senior - BHPian

The diesel clatter in the video is horrible! Also the headlights are flickering during one part of the video. Is this some feature or was that due to voltage fluctuations?
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 00:17   #2315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
The diesel clatter in the video is horrible! Also the headlights are flickering during one part of the video. Is this some feature or was that due to voltage fluctuations?
I think the diesel clatter is boosted by the video, will check the Jeep Compass video once and confirm as it was taken in the same place with the same phone.
The headlights are not flickering, it is due to the difference between the pulse rate of the LEDs and the frame rate of the camera. This is a common phenomenon.
BlackPearl is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 07:12   #2316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I think the diesel clatter is boosted by the video, will check the Jeep Compass video once and confirm as it was taken in the same place with the same phone.
Watched both the videos back to back few times. Defenitely sounds a lot more in the Nexon video.

But anyways, diesel clatter won't be a bother if the cabin insulation is good. And usually TATA cars don't do cost cutting on that front.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 07:54   #2317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
The diesel clatter in the video is horrible!
Just sounds like that in the video. In person, it was fine from outside. And very muted inside.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 08:55   #2318
Sac
BHPian

I say what's an SUV without a Diesel engine's auditory show of strength.
Old 19th September 2017, 12:07   #2319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Watched both the videos back to back few times. Defenitely sounds a lot more in the Nexon video.

But anyways, diesel clatter won't be a bother if the cabin insulation is good. And usually TATA cars don't do cost cutting on that front.
Sorry I was not clear when I mentioned about the Jeep Compass. In that video there was a mix of the music and the actual sound. I have uploaded one more video just comparing the engine sounds and muted the background music. The difference is less now, but still the Nexon engine sound is more than that of the Compass.

BlackPearl is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 12:50   #2320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The difference is less now, but still the Nexon engine sound is more than that of the Compass.
Thanks for editing and sharing Compass video. Nexon does sound crude in comparison to Compass. But then so does the price difference between the two
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 14:46   #2321
BHPian

Few day ago, I drove the petrol top end variant for around 5-10 minutes in a small track, consisting of a variety of obstacles. This was a promotional event by tata open to the public. Posting a short feedback based on the limited time that i spent with the car.

The car has drl + projectors(halogen ?). Front looks nice. Somewhat similar to Tiago/Tigor. The car is bound to attract attention on the roads owing to the unusual roundish design. The rear looks a bit flashy with that contrasting band running across the width. A darker color would have looked better. The ground clearance is very good and visually seemed more than Ecosport/Brezza. Looks like a crossover and not an SUV.

The front dashboard console looks quite unconventional and flashy, but in a good way. Lot of lighted dials/buttons over the dark background, plus that floating screen in the middle. There are sufficient storage places scattered around the car. There is a knob to change the drive mode and the handbrake placed between the front seats. Handbrake is inconveniently located besides the front passenger seat! Without habit, there are high chances of groping someone's thighs :P. Rear boot space is pretty good. Rear seats fold forward. Seating, leg space and headroom is quite good and comfortable at both front and rear ( for someone my height, 5.8).

I got the chance to drive only the petrol version. Owing to the track design, there was no opportunity to engage anything more than the 2nd gear. This petrol engine was quite noisy. Definitely noisier than a few diesel sedans(e.g.Verna). This might be either because the insulation is not good or this particular car has been properly abused in the test drives. Suspension is nice. Soft but no wallowing. The car went over a couple of speed-breakers at 20 kmph with 4 passengers and no one complained. Sharp 180 deg u-turns could be comfortably executed. Gear shifts were smooth. Steering was light with decent feedback.
Myth_sx is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 17:01   #2322
Distinguished - BHPian

All the visitors on this thread must have seen this regular news paper ad once or twice -
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexonpaperad.jpg

They are trying to get things right "down to the T". Literally.
Look at the TATA "T" on the alloys. Its aligned perfectly perpendicular to the ground. Of course this is something that can be done in Photoshop & they might not have jacked up the car to perfectly rotate the wheels (or maybe they did!) to do this alignment.
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexonwheels.jpg

But, the attention to detail being shown by the TML folk over the last year is so much welcome.
To the guy who pays attention to detail - these little things always get registered in the back of the mind. This may not win them a customer on its own. But all these little things if done right in everything, add up to a wonderful package ground up.

"Connecting Aspirations" - Interesting new motto there. Just realized it. Good - but maybe they could have come up with something better and easier to make an impact perhaps.

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th September 2017 at 17:02.
Reinhard is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 17:20   #2323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
Looks like a crossover and not an SUV
Exactly. It's NOT A SUV, and I am glad that it hasn't been designed to be one.

The Nexon is a BIG SMALL CAR rather than a Squeezed/Compact SUV. And yes one can call it a Crossover.

Withing 4 meters, SUV designs ends up looking like: Squeezed Boxy designs (Brezza or TUV 300) or a Hatch on stilts (the Ecosport). The Nexon looks more like a Beefed up Baleno than a SUV. With its visually high Ground Clearance and Generous Width, it also slightly reminiscent of the Range Rover EVOQUE.

Got the opportunity to Drive the Diesel Variant:

SUMMARY: It's Right Up There with any other International product.

Striking Road Presence, Superb Interiors, Excellent Ride Quality, Refined Engine. Solidly built. Doors close with a reassuring THUD. The sheet metal has a nice dense/heft feel. Can't think of a better City Family (4 meter) Vehicle in India currently. Got to drive the Diesel variant. Super Impressed. Wife was happy, so was my 6 yr old.

Few Notes from my Test Drive:

1. The Ground Clearance is definitely high, becomes obvious when one climbs onto the vehicle

2. Steering is very light and a delight to maneuver the car ride in slow traffic.

3. One doesn't sit very low like a hatch/sedan or very high like on a SUV. Its something in between.

4. Turing Radius is small car like (I am used to a Chevrolet Spark, and found driving the Nexon absolutely at home). Taking U turns in traffic was a breeze.

5. The Diesel engine is very refined and the Power delivery is very linear and one doesn't need to change gears much in traffic.

6. The gear box was slick and positive.

7. Ride quality is very comfortable (rides like a vehicle that is 1-2 segments above it). Seats are very comfortable and shaped and reclined right.

8. Car feels built like a Tank. The Sheet metal has a nice feel to it, which does adds to the weight, but I am sure adds to the ride quality of the vehicle .

9. The Nexon isn't very spacious as a 5 seater. But 4 occupants would definitely be very comfortable inside it.

10. The position of Drive Mode selector knob is very natural and falls easily in hand. Tata could have used is the Navigation button for the Touch Screen Display.

11. As someone pointed out a few posts back, the view of the Stop-Start Button is somewhat obstructed by the steering, but after getting used to the car it won't be an issue.

12. What I found slightly annoying was the Dead Pedal was positioned too close to the Clutch Lever, due to which it came in the way of my left foot while engaging the clutch.And that happened more than once. I had to be mindful with my left foot.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20170916_170324.jpg  

Last edited by payeng : 19th September 2017 at 17:35.
payeng is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 17:58   #2324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
it also slightly reminiscent of the Range Rover EVOQUE.
It was like déjà vu when I saw this line. The sales people used the same term, maybe it was part of the training. The first day I heard it, I was shocked. The second day I was prepared, I earnestly requested the sales person not to use the term again in front of me
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 18:20   #2325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
They are trying to get things right "down to the T". Literally.
Look at the TATA "T" on the alloys. Its aligned perfectly perpendicular to the ground. Of course this is something that can be done in Photoshop & they might not have jacked up the car to perfectly rotate the wheels (or maybe they did!) to do this alignment.
Just realized this. The Nexon seems to be running 4 lug nuts on 16" wheels yeah? Its primary competitor - the Brezza has 5 if I remember correct.

Not often do we see a heavy car with 16 inchers running 4 nuts. Considering the lengthy duration of testing across the country this car has gone through, should not be a concern as such. Just that "more the merrier" won't apply to the lug nuts at least. I hope the design and metal strength has been perfectly done up. Reminds me of the recent recall on Scorpio S4 4x4 for chassis fault...

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th September 2017 at 18:21.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed