Team-BHP - The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/170197-tata-nexon-now-launched-rs-5-85-lakhs-10.html)

Somehow, I have an eerie feeling that this is going to be my next car ( I had the same when Chevy Beat was launched). In any case, I have a plan B (Aspire :) )
Tata is absolutely silent on the expected launch date. I have been peppered with calls from Tata for test driving the Tiago ( at least they are interested in selling a car now), but I straight away said every time- nothing doing- gimme a tentative launch date of Nexon- only then we can talk :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 3941417)
I bought the Autocar issue to read the preview of Nexon. Impressive as per reviewers!

Does it say anything about the pax and luggage space on offer? I know I can buy and read but that would be 18 hours from now and I've been just a little impatient on any news about Nexon :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.S. (Post 3941567)
Does it say anything about the pax and luggage space on offer? I know I can buy and read but that would be 18 hours from now and I've been just a little impatient on any news about Nexon :D

Its 5 pax and luggage space should be similar to Brezza or Ecosport. Also in terms of absolute comfort its strictly 4 passengers, due to the design of the rear seat and rear a/c vent. I am at office will post a picture later.

However it definitely looks fabulous and finish appears topnotch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillout (Post 3941878)
Attached are a few photos of the interiors, excuse for the poor quality

Hey thanks for the images. Looks good. Interiors, where Tata has been lacking since a long time, looks to be good. Only after zest i started liking the interior designs of Tata vehicles.
Tata has good build quality, i have owned Indigo, vista and Manza. Good build quality+good interiors and i hope good refined engines will be the perfect Small SUV to buy.

Inside news is - Both petrol and Diesel engines will be new for Nexon. And Tata is woring on NVH levels for both. Hope they come out good.

Mod Note: Some posts have been deleted or edited for content. Please ensure that you do not scan/copy/photograph and upload copyrighted material here. Please post a link with a quoted abstract instead: this is in keeping with fair use policies.

With all the snippets and information that has filtered in till now regarding the Nexon, this sure seems to be a car that has the potential to take the entire compact SUV segment by storm. Quite tempting a proposition and I too have a feeling like many others here that this might be something I'll itch to test drive and finally write a cheque for. I'm eagerly glued to this thread now!

I hope someone at Tata is looking at this thread, if yes, please launch the top end with leather steering and seats.

A factory fitted leather steering and seats are best. Also please ensure the engine bay is protected and avoid all niggles of the Zest.

Following are the areas that Tata needs to take care for Nexon

a) Beautiful exteriors and interiors. Tata has taken care of this.
b) NVH levels should be better than Creta.
c) Handling and suspension should be the best in the segment.
d) AMT should be better than Duster.
e) Ensure dealers and service folks are trained and have the required wherewithal to face customers.
f) Ensure reliability and provide warranty which has been unheard as of now.

I know i may be asking fora bit too much, but for a 100% success they should care of all of the above.

Hope to be their first Nexon owner in Chennai. Competition is good and I sincerely want Tata to triumph this time. They are the bread winners for lakhs of call taxi drivers and wouldn't want them to loose their way out.

Tata Nexon spied testing on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
The article on Carwale quotes:
Quote:

The Nexon is expected to be launched this year in our country and when launched, it will compete with the Ford EcoSport, Mahindra TUV300 and the Maruti Vitara Brezza.
Image Source: Carwale

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillout (Post 3940417)
The most important factor is that it can seat 4 comfortably, due to the scooped seat design and rear a/c vent, middle passenger in the rear may be a bit uncomfortable.

Given that it seems to be based on (but highly modified) the extremely spacious Vista platform, thats no surprise. It will certainly take 5 for short journeys & 4 with space to relax.

Quote:

I am sure Tata will take care of the handling.

Don't be so sure of that. Over last 20 years, they have always made cars with superb ride quality but handling at best comparable with flat bottom Caribbean cruise liners without bow thrusters & stabilizers :D
We can certainly hope, but not be certain.

Quote:

I have decided to hold off on my purchase and give Nexon a chance.

I haven't owned a Tata as of now, but something tells me this is going to do what 800 did for Maruti. I know i may be dreaming but at times they do come true. Come on Tata get it out there and give the Koreans and Japs a run for their money.

Not a bad decision to hold anyway. As for pulling an 800, TML has always had cars that were absolutely pioneers. But they just ended up creating new segments in the market, which are exactly matching Indian buyers' requirements. The segments were all conquered by cars from other manufacturers afterwards. There's some jinx.

Whenever I look at the Nexon, I just feel its a bit too curvy to go with the badge of an "SUV" in Indian market. People want cars that are butch to boast about as SUV in general. It looks more like a pumped up super-mini. The windshield is a bit too inclined and that is where the overall character of the car gets defined as everything else is aligned accordingly. It gives it that low slung aerodynamic sleek look, which negates the perception of an SUV to our masses in my opinion. It doesn't have the intimidating looks to put it simply. The cars selling well in this segment are Creta, TUV300, Duster, (Brezza will most certainly be a hit). All with butch looks, chiseled sharp lines.

Just my first thought on looking at the silhouette. How I wish I'm proven wrong...

On a totally different line...I feel the platform really has potential. With the right funding & motivation, someone at TML should take up a project to really use this to make a real mass market large hot-hatch. This can become something like a RENAULT MEGANE at least in the super-mini segment. Again, a segment that doesn't really exist as of now barring some extremely costly cars (some from the VW Mobile gas-chamber works.)

Tata Nexon with AMT spied by MotorOctane

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 3946340)
Tata Nexon with AMT spied by MotorOctane

That too on a lower variant than the top most, assuming from the manual air-con controls, lack of drive mode selector and the 'oh so inspiring' heads-up display there in the test car.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1459856191.972028.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by methecupid (Post 3946344)
That too on a lower variant than the top most, assuming from the manual air-con controls, lack of drive mode selector
Attachment 1494364

Drive mode selector knob could be only in Petrol variant and this car may be a diesel variant. As for Tata Zest Diesel AMT, it has got only sports mode.
So there could be a mode selector button instead of a knob.
Please refer Tata Zest's AMT lever.
Zest Sports Mode
Image source: Official Team-BHP Tata Zest Review

Quote:

Originally Posted by methecupid (Post 3946344)
lack of the 'oh so inspiring' heads-up display there in the test car

:Shockked: I can't spot any ICE system, leave heads-up display. Not even empty space to install as an accessory. What's up with lower variant Tata?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbhaari (Post 3946457)
:Shockked: I can't spot any ICE system, leave heads-up display. Not even empty space to install as an accessory. What's up with lower variant Tata?

Hello!

How is this possible that no one even noticed it before you!lol:

I too didn't give it a thought!

At this phase, I don't think TATA can even think of changing the overall dash layout.
I can't find any such space where even a single din heads-up unit could be affixed.
It seems that TATA is planning a surprise for the market and would equip all the trims with the floating heads-up unit. Tata is consistently saying that they are going to do something unique with this product and a floating HU unit could be a part of it.

I hope I don't sound to be too wishful. But it's the only logic I could think of as literally there is no space for a HU unit on the dash.

Thanks
Aakarsh

I got a call today from someone at Tata Motors requesting me to come in for a test drive of the Tiago / Zest. To be honest, I had to ask her to repeat what she was saying over and over again as she spoke in the kind of chaste Hindi I probably last heard in middle school during those "Rashtra Bhasha" extra classes. Even referred to the car as "vahaan". I asked about the Nexon and she said she hadn't heard anything about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillout (Post 3942787)
I hope someone at Tata is looking at this thread, if yes, please launch the top end with leather steering and seats.

A factory fitted leather steering and seats are best.

I am from a different car manufacturer, but still I can assure you that adding a leather seat at this stage in a vehicle development is not an easy task. It takes its own sweet time - right from material and colour selection, to cost negotiation, to actual development and then testing - so if Tata had not planned for it already, adding it now would be next to impossible.

Sorry to throw a bomb on your bubble :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 3946282)
Given that it seems to be based on (but highly modified) the extremely spacious Vista platform, thats no surprise. It will certainly take 5 for short journeys & 4 with space to relax.

Don't be so sure of that. Over last 20 years, they have always made cars with superb ride quality but handling at best comparable with flat bottom Caribbean cruise liners without bow thrusters & stabilizers :D
We can certainly hope, but not be certain.

Actually, seems that the Nexon is going to be 'almost' a 4 seater with its sloping roof, rear AC vent and seat design.

Also, if you go through the Zest and Bolt or even the Tiago reviews, you would notice that they are very competent handlers in their respective segments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aakarsh (Post 3946482)
Hello!

At this phase, I don't think TATA can even think of changing the overall dash layout.
I can't find any such space where even a single din heads-up unit could be affixed.
It seems that TATA is planning a surprise for the market and would equip all the trims with the floating heads-up unit. Tata is consistently saying that they are going to do something unique with this product and a floating HU unit could be a part of it.

I hope I don't sound to be too wishful. But it's the only logic I could think of as literally there is no space for a HU unit on the dash.

Thanks
Aakarsh

Aakarsh, Tata might even have plans to surprise us by offering the ICE as standard. But still, what about the group of people who wan't to spend excess cash in search of extreme audio quality? They usually replace the provided head units with a head unit of their choice - to get the signature of sound they expect.

Yes, I am referring to all the people who keep discussing in the ICE segment of T-BHP ! lol: