Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2017, 17:37   #1501
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Had gone to my dealership ASS for my Manza's service yesterday and had a chat with the Sales Team regarding Nexon.

Word is that it will reach showrooms for display alongwith TD vehicles by end of August. Though not confrimed but rumor is that expected price range should be around 8 - 12 lakhs (depending on trim).
TheStranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 17:39   #1502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
You admit that Nexon has so many best in class things and yet expect starting price of 6L where Vitara Brezza starts at 7.38L and Ecosport starts at 7.1L!
Brezza is available only in diesel. A petrol usually is a lakh cheaper (if they launch it). No petrol option for now. Ecosport entry variant is a 1.5L petrol with higher tax slab.

Whereas for Nexon, the entry variant is a sub 4m, 1.2L petrol which gets all tax advantages. The price looks possible IMO. And such shock pricing will really make the market stand up and notice.

And it's not that TATA hasn't been cutting costs - just that they did so very wisely, with no visible cost cutting at places which can be seen and felt by the end customer. The platform is based on the old Vista platform, parts like steering wheel / speakers etc are shared with Zest, the meters are switches seemed to be shared with Tigor etc. There are quite a few missing features as well like 6 airbags, auto headlamps, wipers, cruise control etc. So probably costs is on their minds as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Is it not unreasonable to expect Tata to undercut similar class vehicles by such huge margin?
Yes it is. I admit. Same is true with few other brands also, except Maruti, Honda, Toyota and recently Hyundai. Market expects not only better products, but better prices as well. Once the product is established - they can do an Ecosport and raise prices.

Remember, this segment was built by one product overnight. The Ford Ecosport which was launched with a shock pricing of 5.59L! Nexon would be a surprise at 5.99L, considering the segment has moved upwards.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th July 2017 at 17:55.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 17:41   #1503
BHPian

Tata's compact SUV, the Nexon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Had gone to my dealership ASS for my Manza's service yesterday and had a chat with the Sales Team regarding Nexon.

Word is that it will reach showrooms for display alongwith TD vehicles by end of August. Though not confrimed but rumor is that expected price range should be around 8 - 12 lakhs (depending on trim).

Take that with a pinch of salt. That is so laughable really.

The Brezza top end dual tone is 9.90 ex showroom Delhi.

The Nexon will be priced at least 30-40k lower if not more. I am expecting the top end around 9-9.3 ex showroom Delhi.

Let's wait and watch
Old 27th July 2017, 17:41   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
From the review of Overdrive:

What clearly is a miss are automatic headlights as well as wipers. Speaking of which, the wiper blade doesn't fully clean the glass surface near the driver. This doesn't hamper vision but nevertheless could have been executed in a better fashion or by using a larger wiper blade. The sunglass holder is lined with a soft material inside, however the access to the slot itself is a bit awkward�"it didn't accommodate my aviators. The USB slot right ahead of the gear lever is too deep and isn't really the most ergonomic when it comes to usage. Also the headlamp levelling switch is placed on the stalk, making it a bit inconvenient while making changes to the beam on the move.
One of the cars which share the major chunk of market share is either on par or below this.

For instance, the Ecosport - neither has auto wipers, very puny sunglass holder can only hold my normal glasses - my aviator never fits in.

The wipers never wipes the full screen, there are some ecosport owners who use larger aftermarket wipers on the rear. In the front this is more due to the design of the windshield.

Not sure of Brezza, and sure that it may not have anything better.
Old 27th July 2017, 17:49   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
For instance, the Ecosport - neither has auto wipers
Ecosport has Auto-wipers in Titanium+ and platinum versions along with auto headlamps. It misses out on projector Headlamps which has been addressed in the facelift.
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 17:49   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post

Video showing wearable key
https://twitter.com/autohippie/statu...23550607319044
Source: Twitter
Going by the video, it does have heart rate monitor on the underside, alongside magnetic charging pins. So it is a wearable key with some sort of activity tracking!
Old 27th July 2017, 17:57   #1507
BHPian

I am sorry to say this and having been on this forum for over a decade i have never seen so many agendas at fore in this thread. I just want to put out facts.

1] Most powerful and most torquier diesel engine in the segment.

2] Second most powerful petrol engine in ther segment. Nexon comes with a petrol engine from the launch in comparison to Brezza which still does not have a petrol option and with the gap between petrol and diesel narrowing every passing day the petrol Nexon is a very good move.

3 Only car with six speed manual as standard option on both petrol and diesel.

4] Only car with rear AC vents with twin blower speed adjustment.

5] Only car with ABS as standard on all variants on both petrol and diesel from the outset. Ecosport may have been silently updated last year with ABS in lower variants recently, i am not sure.

6] Only car with three different driving modes.

7] Extensive testing of cars as evidenced by innumerable scoops since it was first unveiled in Auto Expo 2014.

I have no problem with criticism and inputs but what we are seeing here is systematic bashing and trying to apply those standards on Nexon which we have unheard of before. Looks are subjective but one thing is clear that Nexon is not ugly but the extent to which people are going to point out every crease is in poor taste in my opinion. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what is acceptable criticism and what is unacceptable bashing.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 27th July 2017 at 18:00.
needforspeed88 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 18:19   #1508
BHPian

Zigwheels has a bunch of gorgeous photos here.

They also say this, though.
Quote:
Electrically adjustable/folding mirrors. No auto-fold.
Must say the Nexon does look SUVish in this photo, with its wide stance!
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonzigwheels_mg_3267.jpg

Last edited by spindoc : 27th July 2017 at 18:21.
spindoc is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 18:20   #1509
BHPian

This video from Rushlane has covered almost everything. Almost.

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/new-tat...12180403.html/

I'm just waiting for my local dealer in Hyderabad (Chandanagar) to accept my booking amount!

Last edited by nagateja : 27th July 2017 at 18:21.
nagateja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 18:31   #1510
BHPian

Rushlane has done a short video demo of the wearable key => https://twitter.com/rushlane/status/890502042938036224
drnilswap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 18:52   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagateja View Post
Going by the video, it does have heart rate monitor on the underside, alongside magnetic charging pins. So it is a wearable key with some sort of activity tracking!
If the key is for the purpose that you can permanently keep it in the car and just wear it if you are out at a party or on a picnic or going for a workout, so you don’t have to carry and risk losing the traditional keyfob, this is a fantastic feature! In fact, I cannot believe that a feature this cool is being offered on a sub-₹10 lac car.

However, if it has a heart rate monitor and is a full fledged activity tracker, that would mean that it is meant to be worn (and used as a key) all the time. While that would be quite cool too, imagine having to charge your car key every few days/weeks, and having to hand over your activity tracker to the valet or to a friend who wants to take your car for a spin. That would be quite awkward.

--------------------------------------

So, after giving this some thought, I hope Tata has taken care of one detail to make this a very useful feature in either case: allow the driver to lock the car even with the keyfob or activity tracker key inside the vehicle, as long as the other of the two is outside the car, in close proximity to it. This is very important.

This way, if you are using the wristband as your primary key, you can stow one of the two keyfobs you get with the car in the glovebox permanently. Any time you want to hand over the car to a friend or a valet, all you need to do is give them the keyfob, eliminating the awkward exchange of the wristband.

But there is one more issue: if the wristband can remotely unlock the car from a distance, and you always keep a keyfob inside the car, it poses a serious security risk, because you could accidentally press the unlock button on the wristband and someone who notices the car getting unlocked could drive away with it.

If you cannot unlock the car remotely from the wristband, that is going back a step, as far as convenience goes. If you then want to let someone else use your car, you would have to physically walk up to it to unlock it and allow them entry, so that they can then use the keyfob inside it.

I guess the solution to all this mess would be to have a software button on the wristband to unlock the car, so it would not be easy to do it accidentally, but then that complicates things exponentially.

--------------------------------------

Given the above, I think it probably isn’t an activity tracker. It would be much simpler if it was just a modern digital key in the form of a wristband, with no remote unlocking capability, which you can use on a temporary basis to get into the car when you are out on a hike or something and don’t want to bring the keyfob with you. You can never use just the wristband to start the car. That would make most sense.

All of this is idle speculation, just because it is fun to rack your brain trying to figure things out. Don’t take it seriously.

Last edited by aryayush : 27th July 2017 at 18:55.
aryayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 19:05   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
I am sorry to say this and having been on this forum for over a decade i have never seen so many agendas at fore in this thread.

etcetera, etcetera...

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what is acceptable criticism and what is unacceptable bashing.
We had subtle preferences and people with known biases before, but it has never been as unashamedly and so obviously blatant as it is right here. Personal subjectivity is a given within any group of individuals, but not what looks like an almost agenda-driven bias that is so apparent that it cannot be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Zigwheels has a bunch of gorgeous photos

etcetera, etcetera...

Must say the Nexon does look SUVish in this photo, with its wide stance!
What a difference an angle can make!

The vehicle's looking good and whether SUV or not it certainly stands out from the crowd - I remember chasing a Bolt once to find out what mini SUV it was, because I'd never seen one on the road before that, so this one should be likewise.

And for a change TM has not held back on the engine specs as they are known to - they've always given us a few bhp less than expected from their engines, and this one has been a welcome change.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th July 2017 at 19:12.
Steeroid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 19:22   #1513
BHPian

Here's the link to the overdrive review

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2017-tat...-drive-review/

I wonder what's Tata's policy for publications who break the embargo and publish before the defined time.
Silverfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 19:32   #1514
BHPian

Thought there was an embargo on reviews until tomorrow.

So looks like the Diesel would be the one to go for. An AMT with all that torque would be a useful addition am sure.

For this to be a success, it needs shock intro pricing to get the crowds in. A sticker price of 5.99L and 6.99L for Petrol and Diesel

Last edited by uday.ere : 27th July 2017 at 19:33.
uday.ere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 19:35   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Here's the link to the overdrive review

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2017-tat...-drive-review/

I wonder what's Tata's policy for publications who break the embargo and publish before the defined time.
Someone clearly doesn't appreciate it!

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170727193317.jpg

Source
spindoc is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks