Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2017, 17:28   #1696
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

TML sure has come a long way since the Indica/go days and their recent launches are proof of the same. The Nexon does look so well thought of and desirable

The way TML has positioned the Nexon, it is competition to the Ecosport, Brezza, WRV, TUV, Duster (comparable bhp and better Torque) and the Creta (has better specs than the 1.4L engine and comparable specs to the 1.6L engine).

It does not hurt if one gets 90% of the Creta at 60% of the cost with the Nexon. From a sales perspective, the Nexon may or may not be the success TML wants it to be.

All the best TML with the Nexon.
Old 29th July 2017, 19:13   #1697
BHPian

Tata motors has come a long way indeed. Great to see an Indian manufacturer design new engines with 110 bhp and 260 Nm torque, that too diesel engine speaks volumes of the capability of Indian engineers at Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
TML sure has come a long way since the Indica/go days and their recent launches are proof of the same. The Nexon does look so well thought of and desirable

Last edited by ampere : 30th July 2017 at 13:23. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 21:26   #1698
BHPian

I was seeing an interview by Times Group with TATA Motors MD wherein he showed the car, its features and positioning. A diesel Nexon passed by and the diesel clatter of the vehicle was so high that it was difficult to hear the anchor sound. This is the only instance where I have heard the beauty and it was a shock
Can someone who test drove the car throw light on engine noise levels esp. for Diesel?
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 21:40   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
This is the only instance where I have heard the beauty and it was a shock
Can someone who test drove the car throw light on engine noise levels esp. for Diesel?
Many reviews have pegged its refinement at par or better than Vitara brezza.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 23:27   #1700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
The 1.3 SDE used by Maruti is certainly not the epitome of diesel refinement. It is showing its age and sounds quite irritating at mid to high revs. I guess, in the mass market segment, the 1.5 Ford diesel in the EcoSport is the most refined. Also in the upper segments, the 2.2litre Tata Safari's are quite refined, no doubt helped by their large BIW's / engine bays offering an edge in NVH suppression.
Old 29th July 2017, 23:29   #1701
BHPian

I don't see Nexon doing really well in the current Indian market due to 2 main reasons

1. It's a like me or hate me design and looking at the price points the buyers for a sub 4m SUV will not want a product which looks very odd. You have to admit some styling bits will be odd for every one. There are just too many things happening in the exterior

2. TATA

The tiago succeeded for the primary reason that the design was nice and pleasing to the eye while keeping relevant to the current design requirement.
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 23:38   #1702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post

If that is the case, then my replacement car is here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I don't see Nexon doing really well in the current Indian market due to 2 main reasons

1. It's a like me or hate me design and looking at the price points the buyers for a sub 4m SUV will not want a product which looks very odd. You have to admit some styling bits will be odd for every one. There are just too many things happening in the exterior

2. TATA

The tiago succeeded for the primary reason that the design was nice and pleasing to the eye while keeping relevant to the current design requirement.
1. Showed my wife a brief glimpse of the Nexon from its Radical "X" shaped rear... and immediately the "Impact Design" made it's mark as she went "That's a Nice Looking Car"

2. TATA? Absolutely No Problem at all if this is how they are making cars now.

The Nexon according to me has everything to be a bigger success than the Tiago. The Tiago failed to convince me with its refinement levels

Last edited by payeng : 29th July 2017 at 23:45.
payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 23:51   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
If that is the case, then my replacement car is here!!

Might not be a problem for you but the brand perception will take a long, long time to change. For comparison, my wife told me she would never (not in this life) even give a second thought to any car which has Tata's label on it.

Last edited by ampere : 30th July 2017 at 13:23. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 23:54   #1704
BHPian

Quote:

2. TATA

While the design of Tiago was nice, price was another important aspect which led to its success and the same will be true for Nexon as well. If looks were the most important factor, I think Fiat would have sold many many more cars in India.

I think there is a lot more in favour of Nexon and hence should succeed provided Tata was to price it well
1. There is a growing craze for SUV over sedan and hatch
2. Limited options in the Compact SUV space
3. Well loaded with equipment
4. Decent engine with 6 speed MT
5. Great looking compact SUV (Looks are subjective)
6. Recent Tata cars have been a success and has received a lot of appreciation. Don't see Tata badge being too much of a negative

I believe Nexon will be a blockbuster for Tata
damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 23:59   #1705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
I was seeing an interview by Times Group with TATA Motors MD wherein he showed the car, its features and positioning. A diesel Nexon passed by and the diesel clatter of the vehicle was so high that it was difficult to hear the anchor sound. This is the only instance where I have heard the beauty and it was a shock
If you see some of the reviews, the petrol Nexon sounds rough whereas the diesel feels refined. All the reviewers commented on the diesel refinement being good, although there are differences of opinion with respect to performance where some say it's adequate while the others comment that it's good.

Overall, looks like the diesel engine will be good for the segment, if not the segment best.

Quote:

2. TATA

Tiago succeeded due to brilliant pricing too, with the product standing head and shoulders above competition in terms of features and quality. The price really ensured the people really went upto the showrooms to check it out.

I totally agree that Nexon doesn't have the universal appeal of the Tiago, but it will do well (in relative terms - say more Ecosport levels than Brezza) if priced well. It is quite a well rounded product once you look past the polarizing design.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 00:34   #1706
BHPian

It's remarkable that despite being a newly developed engine, people are finding the diesel engine reasonably refined. To put this in perspective, I still remember the experience when I accompanied my cousin and test drove the Amaze for him. I could feel the vibration on both the clutch and steering wheel. I drive a Linea diesel and though it is noisy, you don't feel it on the interfaces. So, commendable job from Tata.
Old 30th July 2017, 03:51   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
Might not be a problem for you but the brand perception will take a long, long time to change. For comparison, my wife told me she would never (not in this life) even give a second thought to any car which has Tata's label on it.
Curious to know the reason behind her opinion. Some previous experiences ?

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th July 2017 at 06:07. Reason: Typo
DieselAddikt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 06:29   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a big challenge indeed; I know someone that had a close shave in a Tata Estate because of mechanical issues in it on a highway, who will not touch another Tata and who isn't shy to say this. The Nano literally added fuel to the fire with its fire stories.

A lot of it is prejudice, but it is what it is and something that Tata has to find a solution to or wait till a couple of generations of Indian motorists are dead. No amount of ranting and raving in a thread that the very large part of their market could not care less for if they knew about it to start with, will change things. What a Maruti or a Hyundai can get away with, Tata cannot at this time in their life. Unfair perhaps, but who said that life is fair?

The best way to deal with this is to have after sales service - beyond just long term warranties - that compares with the best of Toyota service in India. I had pointed this out more than once to senior management in Tata over four years ago and I was disappointed to be told how technology will help them do that in six months. Obviously that did not happen because the answer to quality and consistently good after sales operations isn't conferred by technology; it takes strict adherence to process disciplines in service stations along with good HR practices in every aspect of these. And a lot of time spent there by senior Tata service management, which it is reluctant to do, beyond the symbolic. This, because even senior dealer management cannot be trusted to recognise and deliver this key outcome. Even Concorde, a Tata subsidiary with well paid staff, struggles to come close to the best of Toyota service in India.

In 2013, I bought a Nano and the wife bought a Toyota within a couple of months of each other. DSK Toyota service operations were a well choreographed delight from the time one stepped into the service station all the way to billing at the end of it. Whereas in Concorde, even with a 9 am appointment, service advisors were meandering in to work even at 9 15 am. Service quality was ok and sometimes needed the service GM to be given a hot seat for all the necessary to happen, and that is still the case. In four years, I have never seen service quality issues in DSK that needed escalation - the current problem is bankruptcy caused by their real estate operations, a lesson in itself! DSK and Toyota have shown that world class car service is possible even in India, but some aspects of how to do this seemed to me to be below the dignity of Tata senior management. Perhaps things have changed on this aspect after Nexon, but I haven't seen much change in Concorde till now. They are ok usually, but still need the occasional push start. What they are good at, always unfortunately, is to ask to be given least 9 on 10. DSK never asks, and always gets it.

Last edited by Sawyer : 30th July 2017 at 06:54.
Sawyer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 07:27   #1709
BANNED

Quote:
That's just prejudice! Hope you guys are old enough, if not you will have to see Tata bringing out great vehicles. No two ways about it. I have never owned a Tata, but have driven Indica. I hated it like anything. But the Nexon is different story.

Now something from my life. I was a chronic smoker and moderate alcoholic in college. Was such a reckless guy, that I was written off in life. Everyone said I would be a bad doctor. Even I thought so. But somewhere between the lows of life I fought back against my addictions. I have left smoking and drinking from past 5 years and has not even taken a single rupee as cuts or commission in life. While many those who had written me off have since fallen to smoking and alcohol and have become corrupt to the core that, they are taking more than my salary as cuts/kickbacks.

Tata has never stooped as low as me. If I could fight back and stand with heads raised, I'm damn sure Tata will be the winner in the long run. If you look at what has happened between Indica and Nexon and still think that Tata don't stand a chance, then you are the only one who stand to lose.

NEVER EVER WRITE SOMEONE OFF!
The Rationalist is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 07:53   #1710
Senior - BHPian

There is also another useful saying: Trust, but verify.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed