Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 19:33   #1906
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The first batch of petrol engines that will power the Tata Nexon has been dispatched from Tata Motors' Sanand factory.
Great moment for the company and the country. Hopefully, this will become the best low capacity petrol engine designed and manufactured in the country. Let us hope that the Nexon Petrol finds success just like the Tiago, and proves that Indian brands can make competition beating products.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 9th August 2017 at 19:35. Reason: Edited the quote.
Nissan1180 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 10:54   #1907
BHPian

Quote:
TATA seems to have taken a step backwards in terms of fit & finish and even panel gaps.
I'd rather drive a car with "panel gaps" than drive 202 kms to get it serviced.

Here's a little gap for thought:
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_6924.jpg  

speed kills is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 11:34   #1908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post

Sorry if this sounds stupid,
But I was trying to zoom in to the image to search for panel gaps.

Did you mean the 'service gap' instead?
Old 10th August 2017, 11:52   #1909
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering why all companies with their turbo petrol mass market offerings are coming up with 3 cylinder mills?
- MSIL - Boosterjet
- VW (1.05 L) - TSI
- Tata - Revetron
- Ford - Ecoboost

The only exception here is TJet from Fiat which is offered with complete 4 cylinders in Linea and Abarth.

Last edited by i74js : 10th August 2017 at 11:54.
i74js is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 12:10   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I am wondering why all companies with their turbo petrol mass market offerings are coming up with 3 cylinder mills?

The only exception here is TJet from Fiat which is offered with complete 4 cylinders in Linea and Abarth.
I can only think fuel efficiency as a factor.

Polo/Vento 1.2 TSI is a 4 cylinder motor too.
Old 10th August 2017, 12:17   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post

It looks like there is inconsistent gap on the bonnet shut line on the right side of the emblem. Compare the right side with the left side.

Having said the above, I wouldn't worry too much about inconsistent panel gaps as long as mechanically the cars are quite good. Nexon seems to have a good engine option. The only negative that I could think of is that it's built on the same platform as that of the older Vista. Again if TML can show that it meets the latest safety requirements of 2017/18 then I don't have issues with the older platform as well.
Old 10th August 2017, 12:18   #1912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I think he meant what he posted:
He'd rather have a car that has some panel-gaps, than have that "perfect" car that has very even and good, not wide panel gaps but which needs to taken to a service centre 200 km away for any servicing.

Last edited by condor : 10th August 2017 at 12:25.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 12:20   #1913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
- MSIL - Boosterjet
- VW (1.05 L) - TSI
- Tata - Revetron
- Ford - Ecoboost

There is only one reason. MONEY. Save on the money for - Cylinder in the block, valves, injectors, metal & other materials required for block, head, seals, gaskets, fuel/air lines.
Absolutely nothing else is to be gained.

The smaller engine built with good robust design and material + turbo charger is able to extract more power while still saving a bit by removing a cylinder. Thats the gain. Its for the auto-maker. Not for the consumer.

All others from your list are 1L engines & as a norm almost all 1L engines - even NA ones are 3 cylinder now a days. K10 for example. Tata Revotron is the only odd one out. And its disappointing. Its a 1.2L engine. Should have been a proper 4 cylider motor. Its going in a high profile, high anticipation product. They should have taken efforts to rework on the 1.2 Revotron from the ZEST to fix its performance and FE issues by redesign. They have done half a job in my opinion. Others with 3 cylinders are extracting the performance from 1 liter. Tata is not doing that, so obviously less FE in comparison. And neither is it a exponentially more powerful engine for the extra 200ccs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I can only think fuel efficiency as a factor.

Polo/Vento 1.2 TSI is a 4 cylinder motor too.
Why would a 3 cylinder motor be more fuel efficient than a 4 cylinder motor of same displacement? In fact 4 cylinders may give better FE considering fuel will be burnt more evenly in smaller combustion chambers. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
It looks like there is inconsistent gap on the bonnet shut line on the right side of the emblem. Compare the right side with the left side.

Having said the above, I wouldn't worry too much about inconsistent panel gaps as long as mechanically the cars are quite good. Nexon seems to have a good engine option. The only negative that I could think of is that it's built on the same platform as that of the older Vista. Again if TML can show that it meets the latest safety requirements of 2017/18 then I don't have issues with the older platform as well.
Trust me - the X1 (Vista) is a superb platform. I have been in a very very nasty accident involving high speed ditching into a 6ft roadside moat, and bounce out from it with 3 tires burst, suspension left at a bit weird angles.

The only thing that could be seen on me was that my goggles had flown from their place on my nose into the passenger foot-well. I got the car towed myself afterwards. She is still my only daily ride & have done a good 37k kms since with 0 issues.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th August 2017 at 12:31.
Reinhard is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 12:34   #1914
Senior - BHPian

There also must be some trade off based on the size of the cylinder, where beyond a certain cylinder size the unbalanced vibration of the moving parts is too much to be cancelled by balancer shafts and the like.

As in the 330 cc cylinder for a three cylinder 1 litre compared to a 500 cc cylinder for a 1.5 litre engine with the latter perhaps better served by having 4 cylinders of 250 cc each in a four cylinder package; though I don't know where the cut off lies for cylinder size v vibration issues.

Last edited by Sawyer : 10th August 2017 at 12:35.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 12:58   #1915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Isn't it a matter of choice than force. I know a few people who drive their Polos for service to Cochin from Bangalore. Isn't it even worse than 202 kms in comparison?

PS: Punto/Polo are irrelevant to this thread. Such posts only derail the discussion.
Old 10th August 2017, 14:53   #1916
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Isn't it a matter of choice than force. I know a few people who drive their Polos for service to Cochin from Bangalore. Isn't it even worse than 202 kms in comparison?

PS: Punto/Polo are irrelevant to this thread. Such posts only derail the discussion.
I believe the point he is making is that panel gaps exist even in an Abarth Punto - which is a costly, high performance car & not really a "mass-market" product. If its happening in such cars at a premium price - no surprise that some of that exists in a very cost effective Tata car. Thats the point being made I think.

Comparisons will always happen yeah?
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 15:07   #1917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Ha!!!
I switched from Tata [after good, long 12 years with them] to Honda. I feel/see no difference except the place where I sit and wait. I honestly, don't care about the place where I sit/wait or whether I share the place with drivers or in the exclusive owner's lounge. As a matter of fact, there are more drivers coming to get the Honda cars service done than the owners.

From what I get in the vehicle post the service [completed 4 services now], I see no difference from what I used to get from Tata folks [for my Safari and Marina].

As a matter of fact, I feel I lost control over what I want to get it done in my car with Honda. With my Tata cars, I always felt, there was a lot more personal connect between me, my car, service advisor, service engineer and service manager. This is completely lost with Honda. Its just business but nothing else!

Prem.
Absolutely spot-on. Its again a needless tata bashing going on. My experience with tata was also very good. The service managers knew the vehicles and you were in control. But with my honda city, it is the opposite - the service managers have barely understand the vehicle and you cannot have a meaningful conversation with them. At the concorde showroom things have drastically improved and i say this in comparison with Honda, Tata experience was much better. But still on every review i see the note at bottom which says "niggles and service unreliability". I hope this blanket statement changes and reflects the real situation. Wonder if people have seen the panel gaps the New Honda vehicles have.
vista_qjd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 15:42   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Wonder if people have seen the panel gaps the New Honda vehicles have.
Spot on. Even the Team-BHP reviews highlight the ugly panel gaps and poor paint quality on the latest Honda products.

Infact the Team-BHP review praised the tight panel gaps of zest in comparison to amaze.

There is a complete separate thread for niggles in latest generation Honda City. Compare the threads of Honda City and TATA Zest and one can clearly see that how much TATA has improved.
Old 10th August 2017, 15:59   #1919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

You'll get the answer if you visit my profile. Quoted post in that is mine. Looked more like - "You pointed out something negative about my brand, so I'll go after one brand you own"

Quote:

Point noted. However, service happens once in every 10,000 or 15,000 kms.

I would gladly take the trouble to take a good car 400 kms once every 9600kms rather than drive a bad car 9990 kms just so that the service station is just 10kms away! If you prefer the latter, I wouldn't disagree with your choice! It's just a matter of personal preferences.

Now, before anyone pounces on that - I never said, nor do I intend to say that Nexon is bad. The post being sarcastically attacked just points out the panel gaps (with pictures) as seen in the reviews. That doesn't negate any of the positive attributes of the Nexon. And the pictures are clear in itself and shot by different publications, for my post to be wrong as well. Not sure why it's so hard to accept the negatives along with the positives.

By the way, I was adding a disclaimer earlier in case I needed to point out something which would be deemed offensive in this thread. Like panel gaps for example, which shouldn't be pointed out! Will need to make sure it's not missed, going forward

"Disclaimer - I totally acknowledge the advantages in Nexon including the best in class quality, interiors, the excellent music system, build quality (probable), best in class engines etc."

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th August 2017 at 16:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 18:13   #1920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The first batch of petrol engines that will power the Tata Nexon has been dispatched from Tata Motors' Sanand factory.

The newly developed petrol engine is a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder unit which produces 108 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 170 Nm @ 2,000-4,000 rpm.

Link to Team-BHP News
Attachment 1665340
No offence but without reading anything - the image looks as if its a bunch of recyclable garbage bags!
Why have they packed them like this?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You'll get the answer if you visit my profile. Quoted post in that is mine. Looked more like - "You pointed out something negative about my brand, so I'll go after one brand you own"

Point noted. However, service happens once in every 10,000 or 15,000 kms.
Didn't know it was your post that was getting bashed as had missed last 1-2 pages. Just saw your original post & I agree fully. The ZEST has panel gaps so tight & precisely aligned in almost all cars that I have seen (and also the ones in official TBHP review) that luxury car makers would feel ashamed. Indeed it is a step backwards if the alignments are not so good on the NEXON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
"Disclaimer - I totally acknowledge the advantages in Nexon including the best in class quality, interiors, the excellent music system, build quality (probable), best in class engines etc."

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th August 2017 at 18:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks