Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 15:03   #2146
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
If the Tata Nexon were to be priced close to the Active/Elite i20, would you put your money on the i20 or Nexon. Added the ex-S prices for reference.
I am currently in this dilemma

Would need some input from senior BHPians
Old 11th September 2017, 15:24   #2147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
I am currently in this dilemma

Would need some input from senior BHPians
Nexon is a no brainer over i20 Active for me. However it would help to know your requirements before advising!
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 15:31   #2148
Senior - BHPian

To choose between an i20 or a Nexon, one need to test drive thoroughly the latter.

I20 is a known quantity. Suspension and steering might be better on Nexon ( going by the Zest experience) but the performance of the new Tata engine will be deciding factor.
Old 11th September 2017, 15:31   #2149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
And what if a Maruti or Hyundai part squeaks too? It's not like these two cars have no niggles. If one searches here, he will come across many issues relating to Maruti/Hyundai cars, too. I think, certain cars and peace of mind etc. are too too over-stated. People need to move past this cliche. All cars are almost equally reliable these days.
Narayan was being rhetorical / sarcastic a bit there. Actually making exactly the same point as you. But fact remains - a high amount of people have no problems when their Maruti or Hyundai has a lot of issues - "One can go wrong in a few million". But when its a Tata/Mahindra - they directly go back to the day they booked it. "It was a mistake...should have simply bought a Maruti XXXX".

"If one searches here" is a million dollar bit in your post. A lot of the public is still terribly ill informed / uninformed in decision making and kept so with perception and marketing.

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2017 at 08:53. Reason: typo
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 15:43   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Nexon is a no brainer over i20 Active for me. However it would help to know your requirements before advising!
A petrol car under 10L budget, with some inner city travel and occasional highway drives.

1. Good looking car.
2. Above average interiors. After checking out the interiors of I20, the only other car which had a decent interior was Nexon.
3. Good ICE.
4. Comfortable ride quality.

Dilemmas:
1. I20 is tried and tested product, with minor niggles here and there.
2. I20 has become too common on the roads. So the urge to go towards Nexon.
3. The fear of first batch of Tata cars having issues, if Nexon had released some months ago, then I would have bought the Nexon without second thoughts.
4. Fuel Efficiency in a new 3-Cyl Turbocharged engines. I am not expecting 20kmpl, even around 13-15kmpl would do.
5. Resale value of Tata cars.
6. Most importantly, delivery of the car by October end or November 1st week at the max.

I have booked the car because we need the car by October end but waiting for the test drive to take a final call.

Last edited by prasathlr : 11th September 2017 at 15:55. Reason: Formatting
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:11   #2151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A petrol car under 10L budget, with some inner city travel and occasional highway drives.

Dilemmas:
3. The fear of first batch of Tata cars having issues, if Nexon had released some months ago, then I would have bought the Nexon without second thoughts.
4. Fuel Efficiency in a new 3-Cyl Turbocharged engines. I am not expecting 20kmpl, even around 13-15kmpl would do.
6. Most importantly, delivery of the car by October end or November 1st week at the max.

I have booked the car because we need the car by October end but waiting for the test drive to take a final call.
To be honest, the i20/i20 Active & NEXON are not cars from the same segment. You are cross shopping. If you are worried about the petrol FE - it might be a better bet to go for the i20's tried and proven petrol variant. Tata's petrols have traditionally not been the benchmark of power + fuel efficiency. Like Honda/Suzuki never mastered the diesels till recently, Tata's Achilles's heel used to be petrol engines.

If the 1.2 Revotron 3 pot doesn't deliver good results, you'll lament the day you purchased the Nexon for a long while. Since it seems like a must that you get the car before October end - there is hardly any chance for the petrol's real world reviews to be out.

Also - the list of points you have actually makes me feel you are yourself not too convinced about the Nexon. Never buy a car that you don't want to own for the heck of it. The moment you are thinking about the resale, first batch issues etc, you should drop the car outright from your list of options. Simple.

If it were me, I'd always buy the Nexon for everything it offers. But then I'd be anyway buying a diesel and not petrol.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th September 2017 at 16:18.
Reinhard is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:12   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Stay away from the Nexon. Since this item features on your priority list, and your requirement is min 13-15kmpl with the majority of driving in Blr city, you will be disappointed.

With a Tata, you'll blame Tata. With a Hyundai you'll blame traffic.

No offence meant, but it has to be said. Turbo-petrol engines are far more sensitive to how one drives, and in the case of Tata, by the time one learns the mind has already been made up that is the car/engine/manufacturer at fault.

On the other hand if you remain conscious that this is a 110bhp engine, she might not disappoint.
VeluM is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:22   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Good looking car.
2. Above average interiors. After checking out the interiors of I20, the only other car which had a decent interior was Nexon.
3. Good ICE.
4. Comfortable ride quality.

Dilemmas:

If you're thinking petrol; I'd say you can go for the i20 without blinking a lid. If it's a diesel then TD both and decide. The 1.2 Kappa engine is tried and tested and very refined. The Nexon's 1.2 turbo petrol engine doesn't have good reviews according to ACI. On the other hand the 1.5L 4 pot diesel is an "all new" unit from Tata and we all know that for Tata & Mahindra their
"new products" first batch cars are basically test mules!! Just look at the Tata Hexa from the rear (it's roughly 6 months old) it looks as dated as an old Pajero: that's novelty factor for you! Can you name one turbo petrol that's really selling in the Indian market? Answer is almost none!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 11th September 2017 at 16:46.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:34   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If you are worried about the petrol FE - it might be a better bet to go for the i20's tried and proven petrol variant. Tata's petrols have traditionally not been the benchmark of power + fuel efficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Stay away from the Nexon. Since this item features on your priority list, and your requirement is min 13-15kmpl with the majority of driving in Blr city, you will be disappointed.

With a Tata, you'll blame Tata. With a Hyundai you'll blame traffic.
The i20 Active is no benchmark of power + fuel efficiency either. I drive an Xcent petrol. In city traffic it gives me a mileage of 11-12 kmpl and I am fairly gentle with the throttle. With additional weight of i20 Active, it would be too much to expect 13-15 kmpl from the same engine. Performance will degrade too.

With the Nexon, my only concern will be NVH of the petrol engine. Power should be decent going by reviews & I expect mileage to be acceptable too.

November first week delivery should be doable with slightly flexible colour options.

Last edited by AkMar : 11th September 2017 at 16:39.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:39   #2155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you're thinking petrol; I'd say you can go for the i20 without blinking a lid. If it's a diesel then TD both and decide. The 1.2 Kappa engine is tried and tested and very refined. The Nexon's 1.2 turbo petrol engine doesn't have good reviews according to ACI. On the other hand the 1.5L 4 pot diesel is an "all new" unit from Tata and we all know how that for Tata & Mahindra their
"new products" first batch cars are basically test mules!! Just look at the Tata Hexa from the rear it's roughly 6 months old and it looks as dated as an old Pajero: that's novelty factor for you!
I didn't quite understand your point. What have the Hexa or Pajero's looks got to do with selecting between a Nexon & i20?

Also, I'm not one of the "we all know" group fortunately as my experiences or of those close to me have been very different OR same with all brands. Have you had a poor experience with a new TML/M&M vehicle?

The engines in Nano, Zest P, ACE mini truck, Tiago, Tigor are all "all new" products. The 2.2 VTT Dicor / Varicor was also an all new one day. None reported any design issues did they? If you want to put your money on a new diesel engine to do well for our conditions - put it on a Tata or a Mahindra engine & sleep easy.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th September 2017 at 16:47.
Reinhard is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:45   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I didn't quite understand your point. What have the Hexa or Pajero's looks got to do with selecting between a Nexon & i20?

Also, I'm not one of the "we all know" group fortunately as my experiences or of those close to me have been very different OR same with all brands. Have you had a poor experience with a new TML/M&M vehicle?
He was talking about the novelty factor so I mentioned the Hexa's rear end as an example.
Old 11th September 2017, 16:53   #2157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He was talking about the novelty factor so I mentioned the Hexa's rear end as an example.
Okay now I got you. Thanks. But then I think the novelty in case of Nexon is far more than an individual's perception of the rear end looks. Considering you find them boring now - I'm sure you didn't like the Hexa's rear design right from the beginning. Obviously there will be buyers out there who'll say they like it. Every MPV from Mahindra to Toyota really looks boring in one way or the other. Its that shape that does it perhaps.

In case of the Nexon - the whole package is new. There has never been a car that looks even remotely like this. Its as if something came out straight from an animated movie. There are always funky, curvy, space-age looking car prototypes in auto-expos all over the world. None of them make it to production. They are just for adding a wow factor to the company's stall in the expo.

The Nexon is one rare car of such unseen design that actually came to the market exactly like it looked in the prototype. Thats what makes it a novelty. There is nothing that looks like a Nexon. Period.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th September 2017 at 17:21.
Reinhard is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:58   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
November first week delivery should be doable with slightly flexible colour options.
The dealer just called me saying that the test drive vehicle is ready, will be visiting it in the evening. Will take a call after the test drive. He is ready to deliver the car by October end or November first week if I book it ASAP.
prasathlr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 17:28   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer just called me saying that the test drive vehicle is ready, will be visiting it in the evening.
Which dealer started offering test drives in Bangalore?
Old 11th September 2017, 17:32   #2160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Which dealer started offering test drives in Bangalore?
Sorry for a terrible .

But, your post coupled with your TBHP avatar is just so
Reinhard is online now   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks