Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2017, 19:05   #2326
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Not often do we see a heavy car with 16 inchers running 4 nuts.
Ford Ecosport also has 16 inch wheels mated with 4 nuts.
directinjection is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 21:21   #2327
BHPian

Had my first brush with the Nexon yesterday. Test drives not started yet at Nagpur. Only one vehicle, vermont red in single tone, has reached for total of two dealerships in the city.

First impressions ( Not repeating on the points already elaborated by others):

I had said multiple times on this forum before that it does look Indica-esque. On seeing it, it didn't take me even a second to revise my opinion. No, it does not. Pictures don't do justice to the front end. It looks better in real life. The bonnet appears as high as Hexa.

The car looks heavy and imposing from the front. Front doors shut with a loud and heavy thud. Sheet metal is thick. It does not yield to thumb pressure unlike many cars.

Ground clearance is huge to say the least. Checked with four people on board. This much GC with the short overhangs, it would be an achievement if one manages to scrap the speed beaker.

Ingress/Egress on the front is effortless. Getting in to the rear seats would be a climb for the elderly though, made worse by the thin and narrow door sil.

The rear end is a let down for me. Doesn't look as good as in pictures. The ceramic design element on the rear is a hit or miss. Personally I did not like it. The person accompanying me found it interesting. Also, from sides, rear end seems to end abruptly on the lower edge. It would have looked better if it was conventionally shaped as single part with integrated body colored bumper.

Interior fit, finish and feel is top notch and seems built to last. Better than some of the cars two segments higher.

Seat height adjustment has a healthy range and on extreme ends completely changes the way the car feels. At the highest position I could see the bonnet line. My height for reference is 177cms. At the lowest it felt like a low slung sedan. And no, the floating touch screen does not hamper visibility.

Rear space is good. Rear seats foam felt softer than my liking.

Found a few ergonomic issues with the cabin:

One, driver arm rest is short. And since it doesn't slide forward one can't rest the elbow while shifting gears. I will have to see if it can be replaced with a lengthier one for it to serve any purpose. The tambour door would serve to hold the smartphone and that's about it. It would rarely be opened in my case and space beneath it being narrow would hardly find any use as there are ample spaces elsewhere in the cabin.

Two, the parking break appears to intrude into front passenger space. Operating it won't be an issue though. Central area appears to be crammed in between the seats and is narrow. With the handbrake engaged the passenger's right elbow would brush with it frequently. Young people who like to spend time in the parked car would find it irritating. One way to avoid it would have been to provide a wider arm rest or a separate one for the front passenger.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the car. Like others have already said, me too do not agree with Tata positioning Nexon as an SUV. It's a crossover and would be very good at that.

Note to Tata: You've put a tremendous effort in to this car and it shows. Please improve on the showroom experience. These are early days and it is understandable that sales staff might not have been adequately acquainted with the car but at least put some energetic and interested people (knowledge would follow) on the sales front who care enough to first read the brochure they are handing out.

Last edited by drnilswap : 19th September 2017 at 21:41.
drnilswap is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 10:21   #2328
BHPian

Drove Nexon Diesel XZ+ for about 7+ kms on Sunday. Here are the impressions from someone who has Ecosport TDCI as his daily drive.

What I liked:

- Styling: inside out. The most striking crossover in the segment. Looks in sync with the world of bezel-less phones.

- Performance: Driving the 1.5 Diesel was effortless. It just pulls. Almost like a powerful petrol with strong bottom and midrange. Top end is slightly rough (but low and mid range is what mostly matters)

- Gearshift: The action is long but slick. Gears slot in without any drama and make pushing the car enjoyable.

- Suspension: This is the best marriage of comfort and handling in the segment. The handling is almost as good as the segment leader (Ecosport) and comfort is better than Brezza. What more could you as for?

- Steering: I still miss my Lancer (sold) steering, but this is good. I never had second thoughts on tight and fast corners (encountered a couple). A good EPS.

- Attention to detail: It seems that the designers have spent time in getting things right (except umbrella pockets).

- ICE: We all know how good the ICE is. Enough said. Screen was clearly visible during the day.

- NHV: Once windows are rolled up - it's a pretty refined cabin. Only the driver will know if the engine is idling or off. Once you get moving, only high revs make themselves heard.

- Solid Built: It's built better than most cars in the price range. Seems will take some abuse. The niggles seen so far are cosmetic and a well screwed car should go the distance.

- And the list is long. There is so much to like

What could have been better (mostly nitpicking):

- Start and Switch off: The cabin shakes when you crank the car. My molly'd Ecosport TDCI does far better here.

- Built quality: While the built is great, I guess ecosport still has an upper hand.

- Top end performance: It does not rev as smooth to the top revs like a Fiat/Maruti DDIS or a Ford TDCI. Also, the Diesel clatter was inaudible for most part, however, in a moving car there was a hiss from the engine which is not the Turbo whistle.

- Gear lever: While the lever looks great - it's still does not feel as nice to hold (ergonomically) as in my polo.

- SUV Looks: While it is the best looking crossover with crazy ground clearance, it's not as SUVish as an Ecosport. I personally like the fact that it is not at imposing. Some people who wanted very dominating looks will be left wanting.

- Tail Glass Area: The hatch glass is small and will take some getting used to in reversing without aids.
srvshaun is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 11:12   #2329
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to Akash1886 & 350Z @ TAI for sharing these shots from the Nexon owner's manual.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonservicemanual01.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonservicemanual02.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonservicemanual03.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonservicemanual04.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonservicemanual05.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 11:45   #2330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Ford Ecosport also has 16 inch wheels mated with 4 nuts.
Indeed! Never paid attention to those, my bad.

However - does that mean there will be a shortage of after-market alloy designs for these two cars? Still quite rare to have wheels of these dimensions with 4 nuts.
Perhaps one primary reason for TML coming up with those very good wheel-cap designs for lower variants. So that the owners don't have to look too desperately for alloys.
Old 20th September 2017, 12:51   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
So this means a 6 month/7.5K Km Service interval? Is it same for Diesel and petrol?
And is this the same for previous Tatas, previous owners could comment!
Old 20th September 2017, 13:31   #2332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
First 2 items are confusing. It says
Coolant change at 60k km or 36 months in Col-3, but down the row, it is marked at 60k km / 48 months and then at 120k km / 96 months

For timing belt change, it mentions 150k km / 36 Months in Col-3
- 36 Months for a timing belt change ?? WTH ??
-- But further down the row, the change is marked in the 10th year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagateja View Post
So this means a 6 month/7.5K Km Service interval? Is it same for Diesel and petrol?
Look at the oil-change interval. The first image in the post by Ravenavi says Service interval for Petrol variants is 15000 km or 1 year. Details for Diesel not listed in these pics. But I expect the same 15k / 12 month interval.
Old 20th September 2017, 13:43   #2333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to Akash1886 & 350Z @ TAI for sharing these shots from the Nexon owner's manual.
Attachment 1677942[/center]
Why would the clutch diameter be different for trim levels? I can understand that it will vary for petrol & diesel engines. I'm quite sure that will be the case. Seems like a proof reading miss in the last picture.

5 liters of engine oil for the 1.5 Revotorq. Bills won't be too low for changes. But expected for the size of the engine from Tata. The 1.4 CR4 / previous IDI were also pretty oil thirsty.

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th September 2017 at 13:47.
Old 20th September 2017, 13:49   #2334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why would the clutch diameter be different for trim levels? I can understand that it will vary for petrol & diesel engines.
Why should there be a diff in clutch dia for different trim levels ?

But Petrol vs Diesel ? yes, you are correct

Quote:
5 liters of engine oil for the 1.5 Revotorq. Bills won't be too low for changes.
About 1500-1600 Rs for the oil. Quantity is in line with engine capacity, IMO.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 14:00   #2335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Why should there be a diff in clutch dia for different trim levels ?
Are you asking me? Or repeating my question in general?
Thats what I'm saying. The image of the manual shows different clutch diameter for trim levels, same for both engines. They split it incorrectly in rows instead of columns.

Proof reading miss IMO.
Old 20th September 2017, 14:27   #2336

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Look at the oil-change interval. The first image in the post by Ravenavi says Service interval for Petrol variants is 15000 km or 1 year. Details for Diesel not listed in these pics. But I expect the same 15k / 12 month interval.
The oil change in Diesel engine is listed in the third image posted by Ravenavi. Yes, it is 15k/ 12 month intervals.

karthik_tp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 15:03   #2337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what I'm saying. The image of the manual shows different clutch diameter for trim levels, same for both engines. They split it incorrectly in rows instead of columns.
yes you are correct. The manual does say that. I even tried to map this to the wheel size, but does not look to match.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 18:48   #2338
Distinguished - BHPian

Official launch announcement:

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-2.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1.jpg

In addition, Tata has also released a dedicated Nexon app for Android users.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-3.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 20th September 2017 at 18:59. Reason: added app link.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 20:28   #2339
BHPian

Countdown started in official site. But the countdown time ends at 11am, whereas the launch is scheduled at 12pm.

Either its a mistake or else the event may start at 11am & the Price announcement maybe at 12pm.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170920202602569_com.android.chrome.png  

arif_t01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 08:39   #2340
BHPian

While we all wait eagerly for an agressive pricing of the Nexon, it looks like the venues for all the remaining "Nexon Skill Arena" events have been updated on the Tata Nexon website.

In Bangalore, it will take place at "Bharatiya City", off Thanisandra Main Road. The dates remain to be confirmed though. I remember seeing the dates for a few cities earlier, which have now been removed. Perhaps they have a shortage of vehicles to be sent for these events!

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon-skill-arena_1.png

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon-skill-arena_2.png

Link
red.devil_19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks