Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2017, 13:02   #2371
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

The pricing is very good, but I am not sure about the Petrol Nexon. During my test ride, the petrol was underwhelming. This, along with the news that Brezza petrol might finally be coming, confuses me. I don't think Brezza Petrol would be cheaper than Nexon, considering it would be 1.0, but if its priced around 7, it might be worth waiting it out. Especially factoring Maruti's significantly better history with Petrols.

Petrol Nexon buyers, do ensure proper test drive on all kinds of situation before finalising.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 13:05   #2372
BHPian

Hey guys, any idea about the maximum power that the transmission can handle? This same TA6300 gearbox was meant to be used in the Racemo also right but it has only 210Nm whereas in nexon it has 260nm so did they like max out the torque that can be handled or would there be any scope of getting 300nm from the engine without damaging anything?
Also what if Tata surprises us with that paddle shifter used in Racemo with the AMT Nexon
Old 21st September 2017, 13:10   #2373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Pricing for the XM and XT variants are excellent.
XM is VFM while the XT is clearly not. Refer to my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Excellent Pricing and in-line with what most expected from TATA. I think I will check the XM Diesel Model this weekend and book it.
XM is clearly the variant to go for .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not very surprising considering the feature list on the XT. It does not have any of the elements that made the Nexon appealing!

What it lacks compared to the XZ+ -

- The looks. Lacks alloy Wheels, projector headlamps, DRLs etc.
- The much appreciated Touchscreen Audio
- 8 speaker audio (It gets 4)
- The much appreciated grand center console with the sliding tambour door.

On second thought - 1.3L does seem steep for the above, but still prices it below the competition. XT even misses out on essential 60/40 split of the rear seat. Hopefully, TATA might bring an XZ variant soon in between these two, to bridge the variant gap.
You missed the reverse camera , push button start, front and rear fog lamps, rear wiper/ de fogger. The tyres are bigger as well.

The XZ+ is well priced. The problem is XT is too basic for just 1.3 lakhs below. Might as well go with the XM because the XT really doesn't have any defining feature.

Overall, Tata hit the ball out of the park.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 21st September 2017 at 13:14.
Ragavsr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 13:11   #2374
BHPian

Good to see Tata in the game! But, i feel AMT launch will be a better knock out..

See below variant comparison, lucrative none the less.
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon-compa.jpg
Moto$apien is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 13:11   #2375
Senior - BHPian

This is too close to Brezza. Like the Tiago strategy, I was hoping for a price that makes people considering Brezza & EcoSport to sit up & seriously consider the Nexon, for its competence.

Sadly Nexon doesn't have the audience that'll appreciate it for what it is. Basically, OK-ish pricing + non mature market = success not guaranteed. And success is what Tata Motors needs most, to recover the cost of developing that 1.5L engine making it commercially viable.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it does in the market for the next 6 months.

Edit
Btw, XT is generally considered the top variant.
XZ is for exceptional additionals, where brands provide exclusive features / gizmos / safety package.

Other things I can understand, but XT variant omitting these is just unfair IMHO :
  • Driver seat height adjust
  • Front armrest
  • Front/rear fog lights
  • Rear defogger
  • Rear 60:40 split
  • Rear Arm Rest Cupholders

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 21st September 2017 at 13:27.
GrammarNazi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 13:12   #2376
Senior - BHPian

XE, XM,and XT get 195/60 R16 tires
XZ/+ get 215/60 R16 tires

Last edited by Latheesh : 21st September 2017 at 13:17.
Latheesh is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 13:14   #2377
BHPian

Excellent pricing by Tata Motors. XM variant qualifies as the most VFM of the lot for me too. Well done Tata!
Now the wait is for our Team-BHP review.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 13:15   #2378
Team-BHP Support

Clearly mentioned as Introductory pricing. Anyone knows how long these prices are valid?

Hope they keep the same prices atleast till the Ecosport is launched. Could really backfire if Ford gets the updates with minimal difference in current prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
XE, XM,and XT get 195/60 R16 tires
XZ/+ get 215/60 R16 tires
So the ground clearance will be 12mm less for the lower variants?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st September 2017 at 13:22.
Old 21st September 2017, 13:22   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Tata Nexon Pricing (Introductory, ex-showroom Delhi)

* The 15k Premium for the Dual tone roof is too much.
IIRC Brezza also has a difference about 18k between dual tone and single colour variant. Hope single colours also looks good in Nexon.
RideRanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 13:30   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
This is too close to Brezza.
Agree but in a 6-10 Lakh price band vehicle, one can't expect a huge price difference from competition. Most car sales in these segments are financed. Hence it will take a HUGE price difference to make any material impact on an EMI basis.

Why would a car maker want to give such a huge price difference to wean away die hard Maruti/Hyundai buyers ( who probably might anyway not experiment with Tata )

They might as well make some money on the sales they ACTUALLY get to do.

One needs to consider the quality and features for the given price point as well.
narayan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 13:54   #2381
BHPian

This pricing reminds me of Hexa pricing. Hence I expect the Nexon sales also to reflect the success or failures of Hexa, that is to say, it will sell well, but below the numbers of competitions.
Old 21st September 2017, 13:55   #2382
Distinguished - BHPian

Very good "introductory" pricing! Well done Tata. I wonder if it will really be "introductory" though. They'll mostly have to stick with these - at least for XZ; any higher and they might lose potential customers. We might see more shuffling after a few months in the variants upto XT.

Also will be interesting to see if anyone pays that 15k premium for the dual tone roof. People who are ready to pay 15k for cosmetic changes rarely walk into a Tata showroom as yet. Of course Tata is trying hard to change that.

At these prices, I expect to see plenty of NEXONs on the roads in 2-3 months. (By laws of common sense and logic which rarely apply in our car market though.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 21st September 2017 at 13:56.
Old 21st September 2017, 13:55   #2383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
One needs to consider the quality and features for the given price point as well.
Quality surely yes. Features no.

Doesn't Nexon miss out on features compared to Brezza? Cruise control, automatic headlamps, automatic wipers etc to name a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Why would a car maker want to give such a huge price difference to wean away die hard Maruti/Hyundai buyers ( who probably might anyway not experiment with Tata )

They might as well make some money on the sales they ACTUALLY get to do.
Similar sentiments were expressed vis-a-vis XUV 5OO, when the Hexa was launched. But the prices were inevitably reduced later.

However, in the case of Nexon - the prices are good - specially the entry level variants. Top variants are good but could have been better, especially the XT variant.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 14:10   #2384
BHPian

Official fuel efficiency figures for Tata Nexon - 21.5 kpl for diesel & 17kpl for petrol.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 14:18   #2385
BHPian

They have priced it very well.

The top variants may face tough competition for example with the top variants of Brezza (cruise control), Eco-sport (6 air bags) and WRV (sun roof).

It doesn't concern the masses, as the numbers are generally driven by mid-variants. Let us consider the Diesel XM variant that is priced at 7.4 Lakhs has pretty much everything a basic car requires i.e. Dual Air bags, ABS, Stability control, All power windows, a decent audio head unit, Reverse parking sensors, Remote Central locking etc.,

Lets look at the competitors in the same price range of Diesel XM variant. A 7.4 Lakhs Brezza would be LDI(O) which doesn't have rear power windows or even rear head rest, no reverse parking sensors or remote central locking. A 7.9 Lakhs Eco-sport would be the ambiente variant which has no ABS, no rear power windows etc.,

In my opinion, as far as the mid variants are concerned, Tata has hit the nail on the head. There is no competition here.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 21st September 2017 at 14:38. Reason: Spell check
Thermodynamics is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed