Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:10   #2416
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The market leader right now is Maruti Brezza. In the past 6 months, I was offered a good exchange price for my old car and some discounts for the Brezza. And yes, I was called 5 times by the local dealer and their central office in Gurgaon. I hope you get my point.

For other popular Maruti models like WagonR, Swift, Dzire, Alto and others, Maruti and their local dealers keep offering discounts/offers ranging from 20k-70k every 2-3 months on the pretext of some festival or the other. This is a double pronged strategy and it is working well for them. No doubt the demand keeps on increasing every month.
I get your point but I think you missed one of my points around how a large part of the market will only prefer Maruti. Maybe you are not one of them, but many buyers will look at the Brezza only and then seal the deal with the dealer based on a good exchange price or discounts and of course the regular follow ups from the dealers.

BUT, for those who are keen to experiment and step into Tata dealerships, the company should have some head room to pass on a final discount to close the sale right ? Thats the room that I feel the Tata pricing guys have left in the launch price. Giving that up in the launch price itself may not have ANYWAYS brought those Maruti buyers.

Last edited by narayan : 22nd September 2017 at 07:12.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:20   #2417
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

BUT, for those who are keen to experiment and step into Tata dealerships, the company should have some head room to pass on a final discount to close the sale right ? Thats the room that I feel the Tata pricing guys have left in the launch price. Giving that up in the launch price itself may not have ANYWAYS brought those Maruti buyers.
No manufacturer will price a brand new product with the intention of giving POS discounts. This vehicle will have no discounts for at least 6-9 months and would in fact be on wait list for at least around 2 quarters if not more
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:21   #2418
BHPian

Quote:
I get your point but I think you missed one of my points around how a large part of the market will only prefer Maruti. Maybe you are not one of them, but many buyers will look at the Brezza only and then seal the deal with the dealer based on a good exchange price or discounts and of course the regular follow ups from the dealers.

Consider the Tiago. It has become an unquestionable success, with sales figures approaching those of the Celerio. The Tiago too was launched at introductory prices and with growing sales, it's price has been hiked almost a dozen times. This car is a great example of a good product driving sales despite little advertising or discounts. Tata has been both self aware and clever with their pricing and sales strategy.

For the Nexon, Tata only has to repeat the Tiago strategy, keeping in mind that the Nexon buyer is likely more demanding since its aspirational value is much higher than a Tiago, and therefore the purchase decision is more emotional than rational.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:33   #2419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So might as well keep some room in the listed price for point of sale discounts in a few months for the serious buyer rather than publish a low list price and have very little room for a downward correction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
No manufacturer will price a brand new product with the intention of giving POS discounts. This vehicle will have no discounts for at least 6-9 months and would in fact be on wait list for at least around 2 quarters if not more
Correct. That's what I have said in my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
For the Nexon, Tata only has to repeat the Tiago strategy
Not necessarily. The Tiago, Tigor and Hexa now gives good footfalls in Tata showrooms. The sales guys can use this to show a wider product portfolio and extract better pricing. Any manufacturer is here to make more money. Nothing wrong in aspiring to extract a more reasonable price for their cars.

If they find that decision is backfiring, you always have room for moderate discounting.

Having said all this, its still priced well for what it offers.
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:33   #2420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't notice but I was supporting your idea of keeping some margin for discounts later. But unlike Maruti which gives out discount offers on public media to bring in more footfalls, I hope Tata is more discrete. My reason would be brand image.

When Tata starts giving out discounts, unlike Maruti, public starts thinking the models don't sell or are inferior. They link it with a stock clearance strategy (speaking from first hand experience on a few occasions). On the other hand, if a potential customer walks into a Tata showroom, negotiates and is able to 'squeeze' some discounts then he/she feels good about it. And like it was said earlier, it should be done few months down the line once this model becomes a success. Getting discounts on a popular, heavily in-demand car gives an even higher satisfaction (example shared in my previous post).
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:45   #2421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
Nexon at Trivandrum Motors, Trivandrum.

The vehicle is big. Not like the pictures. We had a misconception that Nexon will look smaller than Ecosport when viewed side by side. But no! This is almost of the same/large size and roomier on the inside too.

The Nexon is Wider than the Ecosport (or Brezza) and at the same time Not as tall as the Ecosport (or Brezza).. which gives the vehicle a nice SQUAT and PLANTED stance, even with the Higher Ground Clearance than the Ecosport (or Brezza).

The Stance of the Nexon reminds me of the Range Rover Evoque.

The Ecosport due to till tall stance ends up looking like a Hatch on Stilts.

Last edited by payeng : 22nd September 2017 at 10:47.
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:00   #2422
Senior - BHPian

With right products, any incumbent like Maruti can be made to look un-reasonable with their vehicles with price/features/build and staid looks.

Hopefully, Tata has just begun. I think they missed the chance with Hexa just with its exterior styling. It was in a class where there was not much competition. They need to sell close to 4000 units.

Tiago selling close to Celerio when Celerio is not a good success from Maruti stable is not much. In the lower segments, volumes need to be big for the companies to do well.

Last edited by srishiva : 22nd September 2017 at 11:02.
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:50   #2423
BHPian

So, when is the Team BHP official review going to be out. I thought the reason for the delay was primarily down to pricing. Now that it's out - "Ab control nahi hota". Please bring it on!
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:52   #2424
BHPian

Wow, Nexon looks much better in single colour red than in dual tone blue which is usually featured in all reviews by all magazines.
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:57   #2425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Hopefully, Tata has just begun. I think they missed the chance with Hexa just with its exterior styling. It was in a class where there was not much competition. They need to sell close to 4000 units

The way Hexa is styled, only one thing comes to my mind whenever I see one and that is TOYOTA INNOVA (which is of course an Automotive Legend in India).

Coming back to the Nexon. I don't think I have heard/read about the "ACTIVITY BAND LIKE KEYLESS ENTRY" feature in the accessory list. What happened? Did I miss something?

Last edited by payeng : 22nd September 2017 at 12:00.
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:19   #2426
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm suspecting we are not going to see too many dual tone Nexons out there. For starter - the single tone car looks way better (to me) and the difference achieved by the 15k extra doesn't seem that great per say.

One very important question remains...do we have to subscribe to some PREMIUM TBHP service to get access to the official review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The way Hexa is styled, only one thing comes to my mind whenever I see one and that is TOYOTA INNOVA (which is of course an Automotive Legend in India).
I think the thing that comes to your mind is "MPV". From every angle, the HEXA looks better than the old / new Innova. Even if looks are subjective, Hexa simply looks better if the viewer is neutral and not a Toyota partisan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Coming back to the Nexon. I don't think I have heard/read about the "ACTIVITY BAND LIKE KEYLESS ENTRY" feature in the accessory list. What happened? Did I miss something?
Its not an accessory. Its part of the standard equipment with the XZ+ if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd September 2017 at 12:28.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:53   #2427
BHPian

Is the dual tone variant priced more than the single tone one?
Personally I prefer the single tone.
Old 22nd September 2017, 13:01   #2428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Is the dual tone variant priced more than the single tone one?
Personally I prefer the single tone.
Yes.. Its another variant and priced higher than xz+ with difference of 20k or 30k.
jithudigitised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 13:20   #2429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I think the thing that comes to your mind is "MPV".

From every angle, the HEXA looks better than the old / new Innova. Even if looks are subjective, Hexa simply looks better if the viewer is neutral and not a Toyota partisan
True about MPV, and the MPV king for me (and Indians) is the INNOVA.

When a product becomes a Legend, like the INNOVA, people simply refuse to look beyond it, even better looking ones.

Old 22nd September 2017, 13:20   #2430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
Yes.. Its another variant and priced higher than xz+ with difference of 20k or 30k.
Completely not worth the dough. The white ceramic strips are just about enough to get the glam going. The dual tone spills over into the flash territory, IMO.

That Glasgow Grey is really growing on me now
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks