Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2017, 10:23   #2506
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
All these comparisons aside, to be honest I will not be putting my family in any new Maruti Suzuki simple because of the fact that they are so flimsy and I cannot trust their safety credentials. Safety is a feeling and a fact both and although NCAP tests may say they are reasonably secure, I would not trust them with accidents in real life. Rememeber for all its worth, Euro NCAP crash tests are conducted in extremely controlled conditions in exactly the same way every time. The real world is different and given the conditions we have in India and the toll that they have on machinery, I would much rather be in a heavier car feeling safe than in a flimsy car rated safe for controlled crash tests.

Very true. The design is clearly aimed at urban markets. Tata Motors need to launch an exceptional AT and cruise control quickly. Especially on the diesel. The top variants don't have much of a price advantage on the market leader. So, the AT has to come at a very good price.

I would have liked a better petrol engine as well, but in the current fuel pricing scenario, that can wait. Besides Tata motors can use the AT tuning to make the petrol easy to drive at city speeds. And market it aggressively against the automatic sub 4m sedans on safety and style, and better VFM.
guptad42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 10:23   #2507
BHPian

Instead of discussing the merits/demerits, performance of Tata Nexon, this thread is turning out to be anti Maruti campaign.
envyravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 11:07   #2508
BHPian

One thing I would urge every prospective buyer is to ensure dealer allows you outside insurance, does not take handling charges, and does shove unwanted accessories down your throat. Tata dealers seeing this as a once in a time opportunity, would try to milk as much money as possible from it.

Report the incident occurrence to Tata. Their dealer problem is one of the biggest thing that will hold back this product and if Tata does not resolve it, this will also become another 3000/month vehicle instead of becoming a potentially 6000/month vehicle.
Old 25th September 2017, 11:14   #2509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish_Janu View Post
Do we have any update on Nexon Automatic? Thanks!
Chalked up for a Q1 2018 launch.

If you can wait, it will be worth it. I am told that the box is beautifully mated to the diesel and the mid-range smoothness is beyond comparison.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 11:17   #2510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish_Janu View Post
Guys, I'm keen to buy an automatic sub-compact SUV next and the choices are clear to me.

Ecosport (refresh coming next month) or Nexon.
Not quite sure about the Nexon, however the EcoSport is launching with an all-new 3-cylinder 1.5 Dragon engine mated to a 5-speed DCT which I believe would be much exciting in terms of its performance and FE against its outgoing 4 cylinder counterpart.

Cheers,
Vijay
vvijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 13:37   #2511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Not quite sure about the Nexon, however the EcoSport is launching with an all-new 3-cylinder 1.5 Dragon engine mated to a 5-speed DCT which I believe would be much exciting in terms of its performance and FE against its outgoing 4 cylinder counterpart.

Cheers,
Vijay
Ford DCT is a 6 speed automatic gearbox not 5.
I too am looking forward to this launch, have 3 cars on my horizon for my next purchase: Tata Nexon, Ford EcoSport and Hyundai Verna.

Cheers
Old 25th September 2017, 13:46   #2512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyravi View Post
Instead of discussing the merits/demerits, performance of Tata Nexon, this thread is turning out to be anti Maruti campaign.
Rightly said.

Maruti is today where it is for nothing. They have some very good products, They have most extensive dealer and service network.

Nexon's supposed superiority need not come from Maruti bashing, let it shine on its own.
Old 25th September 2017, 14:01   #2513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

If you can wait, it will be worth it. I am told that the box is beautifully mated to the diesel and the mid-range smoothness is beyond comparison.
No offence Avi. But the same guys told the diesel engine has smashing performance and mid-range. Had too much hopes on the car based on these predictions. Whereas the production version is just about keeping it's head high above the 1.3 90hp, as is evident from the numbers. It's good no doubt, but tuned for driveability and not performance as the birdies predicted.

Not your fault nor theirs though. Believe the issue is that the test cars run higher states of tune to, well, test it properly. Would be safer to wait it out till the production versions hit the road, else there will be a lot of disappointment based on the predictions. Afterall, it's an AMT unit.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th September 2017 at 14:03.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 14:22   #2514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Only the XZ+ gets the 8 speaker audio system. XM and XT variants don't get the tweeters both for the front and rear doors.

Very disappointing and a step backwards for TATA. Even the Bolt had 8 speakers standard on all variants except the XE which didn't get the audio at all, whereas Zest got tweeters for the front atleast in the lower two variants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I think 6 (4+2) for XM, XMA, XMS. XT and XTA have 8. At least for the Zest thats the case.

But yes, Nexon XM, XT should have had 2 tweeters (and really 2 are enough anyway!). I don't think it will be that big a deal to add them aftermarket either. I hope the housings are present & just the tweeter units are missing.
Quote:
Doesn't look like. They have taken a step backwards as compared to the Zest and Bolt, with respect to audio system for the mid variants. It's only the XZ+ that gets the goodies.
I think I should have been clearer in my previous post. I meant BOLT/ZEST get 8 speakers only in XT/XTA. Its 6 upto XMA/XMS. Was trying to slightly correct the bold part in your previous post.

Nexon has only 4 though upto the higher trims - so not even 2 tweeters. I agree that at least 6 should have been present instead of 4 as the tweeters aren't that costly a bit in the otherwise loaded car. But then - I expect it to be an easy installation after delivery if the housing etc is present in all trims.
Old 25th September 2017, 14:23   #2515
Senior - BHPian

Took a test drive and am thoroughly impressed with Diesel top end. So excited! Need one to grace our garage at the earliest.

The showroom experience at Aadhya was underwhelming, so is there any other dealership you'd suggest in Bangalore for a better response? Please PM me any references if you can. Want to be one of the first to get the car.

Nexon hasn't got RTO approvals in Bengaluru, so anyone knows usually how much time this will take? Earliest delivery is October second week I'm told. Is this true? Meanwhile, Brezza waiting period is just 15 days as per a friend.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 14:28   #2516
srh
BHPian

Quote:
No offence Avi. But the same guys told the diesel engine has smashing performance and mid-range. Had too much hopes on the car based on these predictions. Whereas the production version is just about keeping it's head high above the 1.3 90hp, as is evident from the numbers. It's good no doubt, but tuned for driveability and not performance as the birdies predicted.

Not your fault nor theirs though. Believe the issue is that the test cars run higher states of tune to, well, test it properly. Would be safer to wait it out till the production versions hit the road, else there will be a lot of disappointment based on the predictions. Afterall, it's an AMT unit.
Don't know what you mean by smashing, but then it certainly seems to be very driveable at low RPM, has better in-gear acceleration and a much higher top speed (>180 kmph). The engine produces ample power and torque, it is just that the gearing is more for high speed touring rather than short range sprinting.
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 14:49   #2517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Hi Raven Aviv, I have a humble request. Please check if Nexon will come only on XZA & lower or is there any news on XZA+ or in other words, AMT on XZ+. According to the photos I saw on internet, The top end AMT had floating screen and grand central console with automatic climate control but no start / stop button, rear wiper and no request sensors on door handles and boot opening. So that is evident that it would be XZA which is technically an AMT based on XZ model if there was one and not AMT based on XZ+. I am not sure what else would be missing in XZA.

I also saw pictures of Nexon AMT with bare interior with no grand central console. So that is evidence of AMT to be available in lower varieties like XMor most probably XT.

The reason why I am telling all this instead of just sitting quite till the AMT launch is because, I was so badly wanting to get the Nexon Diesel top end wit AMT as soon as Nexon launches but to my bad, only MT was launched and to add further, it would most probably be launched in the highest of XZA and not based on ZX+.

All I want to know is whether Nexon will get AMT based on XZ+ when they launch the AMT next year or not. If any reliable news surfaces about it, then I can decide whether to wait or book the MT XZ+ next week. Please help @RavenAvi. I want to take the decision asap as I already waited more than 1.5 years now for Nexon launch and already incurring loss day by day on my old car to be sold.
satish_tns is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 15:04   #2518
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingsman View Post
...someone who started out buying a City or a Rapid end up with this piece of jewelry!
I can understand you excitement but you are taking things too far, IMO. People buying City or Rapid are someone looking for some class than the street-smart look of the Nexon. Yes, Nexon is a very good product from Tata, and it can attract sales from Brezza, Ecosport, i20, Swift, sub-4m sedans etc but expecting sales from C-segment sedans is a wild dream. I don't think even Tata people are expecting this.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 25th September 2017 at 15:22.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 15:11   #2519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I can understand you excitement but you are taking things too far, IMO. People buying City or Rapid are someone looking for some class than the street-smart look of the Nexon. Yes, it can attract sales from Brezza, Ecosport, i20, Swift, sub-4m sedans etc but expecting sales from C-segment sedans is a wild dream. I don't think even Tata people are expecting this.
No comments from me about the quality/class department as I'm pretty naive in it, but I won't actually be surprised if people are at least made to sit on the fence due to the Nexon. I'm pretty sure that a lot of prospective Ciaz/City buyers did go for the Brezza. Current trend in our market is to sit higher - and it does help a lot in our road and traffic conditions without doubt. The low slung sedans have their pros in driving but the very low seating position is very much trumped by tall seating that these compact SUVs are offering.

Till recently, the logical upgrade for people from hatchbacks was sedans primarily because SUVs were simply too costly and mostly not worth it. Sedans used to sit somewhere on the middle step. Now you have the tall pseudo SUVs in the same price bracket...So cross shopping is bound to happen.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 15:26   #2520
BHPian

Where is the Team BHP review ? Has TML not provided a car yet or is it under editing. Eagerly waiting for the review of the year
SAE40 in veins is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed