Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2017, 21:35   #2536
srh
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, the way the below feedbacks were worded by the birdies, I personally expected a lot more. As of now, it's a no brainer alternative to the 1.3 DDiS vehicles, but I was expecting a 1.6 DDiS type of performance instead, as per earlier rumours from the birdies.
Well, it is still about the gearing. Just tweak the primary ratio to be a bit shorter, and the engine may feel as good as the 1.6 DDiS. Reduces the top speed but will improve initial sprint as well as in gear acceleration.
Old 25th September 2017, 21:37   #2537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
You, my friend, are giving Ashish Masih a run for his money.
This seems a tad below-the-belt, are some birdies more equal than others ?

When did it become sacrilege to voice a dissenting opinion, especially when both are just here-say ?

Last edited by im_srini : 25th September 2017 at 21:39.
im_srini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 22:16   #2538
BHPian

We all are over here to share are our opinions in a grown up manner. That's what separates Team-BHP from late night news debates. If we are entitled to share our views then we must be open to other's views as well (whether we agree with them or not).

I feel that now only a Team-BHP review of Nexon can put all the debates to rest.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 22:42   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Point noted. I shall keep any/all such feedback to myself from now on.
Please don't do that! Please. I have literally swayed minds of people and kept them on-the-edge thanks to your 'birdies'. You have been sharing a lot of info with us. Please continue to do so.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 23:15   #2540
Distinguished - BHPian

First Nexon delivery at Arya Motors, Gurgaon. Pics courtesy Yashpal.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-image1.jpeg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-image3.jpeg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-image2.jpeg

And, BHPian sidindica's Punto standing alongside the newest compact SUV on the block.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-image4.jpeg
RavenAvi is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 23:23   #2541
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Real-world performance, per tonne numbers & 0-40/0-100 kmph runs will indicate how good or bad the engine capacity is, before we can deem it as adequate or inadequate for the car's size, shape or weight.
Here we got a comparo, with an explosive diesel itself, and a few more.

From the feedback I am receiving though, the diesel is turning out to be quite the stellar one. Packs a mid-range punch unlike any other in it's segment.

Quote:
Agreed. It's a very driveable engine. Certainly is enough and more for the segment. No doubts.
It is most driveable engine in the segment, believe me, I drove one and I own a Polo TDi.

Quote:
However, the way the below feedbacks were worded by the birdies, I personally expected a lot more. As of now, it's a no brainer alternative to the 1.3 DDiS vehicles, but I was expecting a 1.6 DDiS type of performance instead, as per earlier rumours from the birdies.
Birdies are the employees either directly or associated to the manufacturers, they will exaggerate and that's absolutely normal. I have had guys telling me how ballistic the new DZire is and how it can even be a low cost option for Ciaz, is it so?

Since S cross 1.6 has been talked about, let me take a couple of engines into play and mention some figures which I just took from the ACI, it should clear a lot of doubts I believe:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 5267
Size:  11.2 KB

Lagging from Brezza in 0-100 but is quicker in 0-140 timings, also Nexon proves to be more responsive in gear than even the S cross 1.6 when it comes to doing 20-80 or 40-100 in third and fourth gears respectively.
VKumar is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 23:27   #2542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A feedback from a birdie is just that, a feedback from a birdie. I don't remember anyone mentioning anywhere that the 1.5 Revotorq was as explosive as the 1.6 DDiS. It's fascinating how you built up your entire opinion on this car based on some old bird chirps and photos, and is still getting disappointed on it's performance with just the hearsay (which you just asked people to take with a pinch of salt) when the vehicle is right there up for grabs for a test drive and you have an opportunity to feel it first hand.
Sigh! I personally feel that its just another instance where a member jumps into defend without getting the full context. Not the first time for us, eh buddy?

Couple of clarifications though -

1. You've assumed that I'm disappointed with the Nexon diesel. Wrong. I haven't tested it and nowhere I mentioned that the diesel is bad. Have clarified myself in the same post above that it's enough and more for the segment, based on the numbers provided by the reviewers.

2. The disappointment is in the wrong hype that was built up. Which I've expressed clearly to RavenAvi (whether he took it positive or negative, but he would have understood the context under it is made and has replied in the most dignified way possible). The exact wordings qouted above. You can be your own judge if it lives up to the hype or not.

To me, those words from the birdies clearly made it look much better than a 1.3 MJD competitor. Since I currently own one (As you are well aware, as your previous post was a dig on that front ), and was looking forward to upgrade. I had mentioned to RavenAvi earlier as well, that my prime interest in the Nexon was due to the rumours on the engine which was from his birdies, and this happened at a time when Nexon was still a rumour. Nothing more. Nothing less.

3. Test drives? Oh yes. Will do that soon. Possibly during the upcoming weekend itself. The dealership has got the diesel Nexon ready for test drives, though the petrol is not available (and anyways I am not interested in it, as well!)

Quote:
You, my friend, are giving Ashish Masih a run for his money.
Remember this line below, my friend? You said it a couple of dozen pages back. Well, I hope you meant it this time, cause you've succeeded in a good personal attack. Congratulations.

Quote:
I apologize if it came across as a personal attack. I never meant to do that.
The feedback was for a particular member and not against Nexon. Nothing more to add. So it's over and out.

Edit -

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Birdies are the employees either directly or associated to the manufacturers, they will exaggerate and that's absolutely normal.
Precisely the point. Also, test cars sometimes run better tunes than production ones.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th September 2017 at 23:43.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 23:57   #2543
BANNED

Quote:
Precisely the point. Also, test cars sometimes run better tunes than production ones.
Sorry sir, I beg to disagree.

My point is that even if you are going to make a car, the guys working in your factory on it will always tell others that you are going to make the car that is better than the competition in all aspects.

Higher states of tune can be tested for making out the optimum performance and FE combination, with reliability too. But there is no sense in testing a product in a state of tune that is different from what is going to be the final offering. Hence, if we go by actual long term testing, that is done only on the state of tune that will be offered to the customers. No matter what the state of tune is, no one in his senses is going to test the engine meant for a Nexon in the state of tune comparable to say a Cruze.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 00:54   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
This seems a tad below-the-belt, are some birdies more equal than others ?

When did it become sacrilege to voice a dissenting opinion, especially when both are just here-say ?
The entire gist of my post was to take all online material with a pinch of salt to avoid extreme disappointments. Spare some time to get up from the arm chair and see and drive the vehicle if you really want to make an informed judgment.

Quote:
Sigh! I personally feel that its just another instance where a member jumps into defend without getting the full context. Not the first time for us, eh buddy?
Yes CD, I realize you are not disappointed with the Diesel engine performance, but just that it didn't live up the hype. But wait, who created the hype? You assumed it was as exciting as a torque monster like the 320 DDiS, based on some online posts. And now you are disappointed that it is not a performer. But wait again, you haven't driven one yet, to be sure about that. I hope you get my point.

And the Auto Portal reference, I just wanted to say that you sounded unfairly biased and judgemental about something without even seeing it in real. Anyways, awaiting your test drive impressions.
jayded is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 05:36   #2545
Senior - BHPian

Delivered? Sigh...meanwhile in Bengaluru they say they're yet to get RTO clearance. So it will be a while before we see this on the roads. At least 30 days. Why is there so much difference between the north regions and the south? Moreover, there is not the faintest glimpse of the petrol anywhere as well.

The delay is good with the renewed Ecosport round the corner. Will give me time to decide wisely.

Are there any other colours besides Red and Blue at any of the dealerships in the City? I'd like to go and see it.
Old 26th September 2017, 08:15   #2546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
But there is no sense in testing a product in a state of tune that is different from what is going to be the final offering. Hence, if we go by actual long term testing, that is done only on the state of tune that will be offered to the customers.
What is the reason to think that the test cars are Not run on different states of tune ? The manufacturer would test both at the extreme end, and also the planned production tune. Even these would be varied. One of the reasons why we see multiple test cars on a route, in a group, and not just one.
Old 26th September 2017, 08:25   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. It's a very driveable engine. Certainly is enough and more for the segment. No doubts.

Here, you go! You can be the judge yourself.

This could be because the test cars run much higher states of tune as compared to the production versions. Hence my suggestion to word it carefully when leaking such feedback from the birdies.
Avi's birdies said that the mid-range is quite strong. That's what has come out of the reviews as well and the various online reviews have said that the mid range is strong and there is no point in revving beyond 4K rpm. It seems to me as though the actual behavior matches what the birdies have said and it could be a case where you might have misunderstood things.

Anyways you should take an actual test drive rather than making various assumptions based on freebies from birdies or from anyone else. If the vehicle "meets" your needs then you could consider shortlisting it. If the vehicle does not meet your needs then there are reasonable number of other good options in the market
searacer932 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 09:40   #2548
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I am bit confused here. He is comparing Brezza Diesel with Nexon Diesel right? But the car he is driving (as per the numbering system followed in Kochi media drive) is a Petrol Nexon
Hahaha - good observation .

However, it could be that he's already had a spin in the diesel, and then had to trade cars with another journalist at the midpoint - more information.

The schedule is damn tight at media drives. You get a limited amount of time with each engine / gearbox combination, have to share your car with another journalist and then have to exchange the variant with another media halfway through the drive (so that everyone drives the petrol & diesel).

My guess: He drove the diesel, but couldn't shoot it then. He made his observations, but used the petrol for the video.

Not everyone can wait for the media car in their home city for a detailed review like Team-BHP does . With almost everyone else, it's a mad rush for their reviews to be out first.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 10:28   #2549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hahaha - good observation .

However, it could be that he's already had a spin in the diesel, and then had to trade cars with another journalist at the midpoint - more information.

The schedule is damn tight at media drives. You get a limited amount of time with each engine / gearbox combination, have to share your car with another journalist and then have to exchange the variant with another media halfway through the drive (so that everyone drives the petrol & diesel).

My guess: He drove the diesel, but couldn't shoot it then. He made his observations, but used the petrol for the video.

Not everyone can wait for the media car in their home city for a detailed review like Team-BHP does . With almost everyone else, it's a mad rush for their reviews to be out first.
It should not be called a review then... should be an opinion or "x gave me the most money or paid me most for advertisements". Most of these upstart youtube channels are a disgrace anyway. Absolutely no credibility and more importantly no knowledge or love for car and its not difficult to see on their faces. This is why I wait for a definitive tbhp review.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 26th September 2017 at 10:30.
extreme_torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 10:36   #2550
BHPian

Quote:
No offence Avi. But the same guys told the diesel engine has smashing performance and mid-range. Had too much hopes on the car based on these predictions. -SNIP-
Given that nobody else had this expectation after reading Avi's tip, wouldn't you say that you misinterpreted rather than saying that the birdie misled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi
Point noted. I shall keep any/all such feedback to myself from now on
Please do share any info that you may have. I personally appreciate your efforts very much. Neither you, nor your birdie can be held responsible for how people interpret your tip.
ashlil is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks