Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2017, 23:10   #511
BHPian

That exhaust sure looks odd. I do not see why it is so hard to hide behind the rear of the car instead of it peeping out like that. Raise it a little and that avoids it showing out of the rear and it looks ugly. Not sure if that low hand of the exhaust can may cause possible damage over a stone or something. It is hanging pretty low.
Old 6th January 2017, 23:29   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
The argument would probably be because it's a Maruti which has a better brand name compared to Tata whose A.S.S is horrendous.
Sorry brother, but please don't get hyped up. I bought out this observation of mine. That's all, everyone has an opinion of their own. It was never about Maruti vs Tata or brand name. I even said it's gorgeous and I m looking forward to buying one. As I love Tata more than Maruti.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th January 2017 at 11:00. Reason: Trimming quoted post for better readability :)
Old 7th January 2017, 00:13   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Guys, Please chill. These are test vehicles and this particular piece could be a jugaad for testing purpose. If you had gone back to previous images, you'd notice that at least 80% of the test vehicles don't have a similar exhaust and is better concealed. I agree this particular piece does look out of sync since Nexon is a very well designed car.

Even a pre-production media car (which is closest to mass production) can have different components and can be corrected in the production version. And these are still 6 months away from that stage.

If they have put so much effort into Nexon, I think they would have taken care of this piece as well. In an extreme case they haven't, I would be unhappy but not to an extent where I'll rule out the car (if I like the product in entirety).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th January 2017 at 00:17.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 07:07   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
First of all, Tata is not Maruti. But even if you compare it with Brezza, the Nexon exhaust looks hideous. I hope they make it atleast as neat as Brezza.
Your first sentence proved my point. I have noticed the can of the Brezza and I know what it is. It is also more vulnerable to damage if there's a collision from the rear or if someone backs it up a taller median. That wouldn't be my reason though for rejecting it.

If they had the space to tuck the can in, they would. Why wouldn't they?! Simple as that. I'm yet to see a person reject a car because he feels that the silencer looks ugly. That's what I meant. This is the first picture of the Nexon that we have actually noticed a lower can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Sorry brother, but please don't get hyped up. I bought out this observation of mine. That's all, everyone has an opinion of their own. It was never about Maruti vs Tata or brand name. I even said it's gorgeous and I m looking forward to buying one. As I love Tata more than Maruti.
My comment wasn't directed at you. Read my reply above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
Because of that TATA has no space to tuck-in the exhaust-hardware because all of its body is already high enough. But that looks ugly.

why does team-BHP post these scoop/camo pics in the first place, and more importantly have special threads discussing it.
I mean it in the most objective and least belligerent way, so please don't come on me all guns blazing
The objective of the scoops here or the takeaway is the amount of testing being done on the model before the launch. And if it's a car we haven't seen, then the design language. We have also seen that for most cars, the prototype and the production model look like two different models but that's not the case with the Nexon. The design and better quality pictures have already been shared here.

My question is simple. Would you reject a car which you like (looks, ride, power, interiors) simply because the position of the can puts you off? If it's affirmative, then I have nothing to say.

Last edited by discoverwild : 7th January 2017 at 07:13.
Old 7th January 2017, 10:01   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Your first sentence proved my point. I have noticed the can of the Brezza and I know what it is. It is also more vulnerable to damage if there's a collision from the rear or if someone backs it up a taller median. That wouldn't be my reason though for rejecting it. My question is simple. Would you reject a car which you like (looks, ride, power, interiors) simply because the position of the can puts you off? If it's affirmative, then I have nothing to say.
I will still stand by my statement that Tata is not Maruti. And it is not just due to brand name and ASS, it has also got to do with the reliability issues of earlier Tata cars. Just compare Celerio and Tiago sales numbers and you will see what I mean. So Tata has to put that extra amount of effort to compete with Maruti and others.

And I never said people will reject Nexon for the way its exhaust looks. I said the ugly looking exhaust is a turn off for many. Isn't that ugly exhaust a turn off for you? It sure is for me, doesnt mean that I will outright reject the car.

Last edited by deerhunter : 7th January 2017 at 10:02.
Old 7th January 2017, 10:01   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guys, Please chill. These are test vehicles and this particular piece could be a jugaad for testing purpose. If you had gone back to previous images, you'd notice that at least 80% of the test vehicles don't have a similar exhaust and is better concealed. I agree this particular piece does look out of sync since Nexon is a very well designed car.
I just saw the whole thread, 10 pages backwards and there were 2 types of Nexons, one with truck-like tail-lamps(test-mules) and the other with proper tail-lamps(more ready test mules?).
Where did you get that 80%
post no. 499,505, 471, 478, 480, 452, 457, 459 has nexons with the ugly can(all of them in near-production ready avatars with proper tail-lamps), all the truck-like tail-lamps have the exhaust tucked-in which is lot less in number in this thread.

There can be a possibility that Tata tried to tuck in the exhaust-can but then later realised its not functioning well in cramped position, and maybe, made a compromise. Again, speculation, but all the facts point the needle in that direction.

Quote:
In an extreme case they haven't, I would be unhappy but not to an extent where I'll rule out the car (if I like the product in entirety).
Completely agree with this, it's like - I hate Scarlet Johannson because she has webbed-feet.
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 11:59   #517
BHPian

Quote:
There can be a possibility that Tata tried to tuck in the exhaust-can but then later realised its not functioning well in cramped position, and maybe, made a compromise. Again, speculation, but all the facts point the needle in that direction.
This is entirely possible. In the development cycle of a vehicle, the exhaust system is one of the last items to be finalized while adjusting the power/torque and fuel efficiency requirements. The layout of the exhaust system directly affects the manifold backpressure which has a major bearing on engine performance. Even seemingly simple changes like a 90 degree bend can cause major disruptions. Therefore, it is entirely possible that Tata had to change the exhaust layout from a tucked in position to partially visible design to get more juice from the 1.5L revotorq. Especially so, given that the engine is also brand new and seeing its first application.
Old 7th January 2017, 12:30   #518
BHPian

@ discoverwild

That is exactly what I meant. Tiago is a better product than Celerio, but still Celerio tops Tiago in sales charts. That proves Tata is not Maruti. And I dont know what you mean by 'stuck in the 90s'. It looks like a different way of saying that Tata made unreliable cars decades ago. But you are wrong. They have only recently started improving their quality.

I am quoting from the team bhp official review of Safari Storme:
Quote:
Niggling issues & problems (as per the many Safari ownership reports)
And people dont find Maruti to have better snob value than Tata. The perceived quality of Maruti is more. That is not people's fault.

I dont know what you are trying to prove here. I never said people reject Nexon for the way its exhaust looks, and I never said Tata is bad. On the contrary, I admire how Tata started making good quality cars. What I tried to point out was that the exhaust was appalingly bad looking. Do you think I am in the wrong for saying that?

Quote:
This is getting too long in the teeth. Check out various pictures on page 33. How many places do you see a silencer jutting out? This is a test car for crying out loud. Why do we have to jump the gun?

All I'm saying is that. Don't be in a hurry to get wall banging. I'm closing this chapter for now.
Check post #494 in page 33. Also #499 in page 34. Those were posted before this discussion even started. I dont know why you get so offended for pointing out a bad looking exhaust. We are an automotive forum and there is nothing wrong in pointing out a flaw.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2017 at 10:36. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 12:47   #519
Senior - BHPian

This is getting too long in the teeth. Check out various pictures on page 33. How many places do you see a silencer jutting out? This is a test car for crying out loud. Why do we have to jump the gun?

All I'm saying is that. Don't be in a hurry to get wall banging. I'm closing this chapter for now.

Regarding reliability, I have had a Tata car at home since the late 90s till date. I'm happy with them. That's more than enough for me. I know what to expect from workhorses.
Old 7th January 2017, 13:06   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow. That is the ugliest exhaust i have seen in a new car in a long time. Especially considering how good the rest of the car looks, it looks totally out of place. If this remains as such in production version, it is going to be a turn off for many. Hope they rectify this.

The angle of a photograph makes the exhaust looks ugly. Or may be a problem with that particular test mule. Exhaust on other test mules seems okay.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1481625240_tatanexonspottedtestingagain.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-201612_tata-nexon-2.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonrearphotographed.jpg  

tushky is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 13:33   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just saw the whole thread, 10 pages backwards and there were 2 types of Nexons, one with truck-like tail-lamps(test-mules) and the other with proper tail-lamps(more ready test mules?).
Where did you get that 80%
post no. 499,505, 471, 478, 480, 452, 457, 459 has nexons with the ugly can(all of them in near-production ready avatars with proper tail-lamps), all the truck-like tail-lamps have the exhaust tucked-in which is lot less in number in this thread...
I thought I'll put all the images of Nexon from the posts you pointed with exhaust pipe visible, for reference. Except for the latest one piece, none of the exhaust end cans have the same design. As I said, the rest are "better" concealed.

@Tushky has added a handful of pics too.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon_exhaust.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th January 2017 at 13:47.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 16:51   #522
BHPian

Tata's compact SUV, the Nexon

Quote:
That is exactly what I meant. Tiago is a better product than Celerio, but still Celerio tops Tiago in sales charts. That proves Tata is not Maruti. And I dont know what you mean by 'stuck in the 90s'. It looks like a different way of saying that Tata made unreliable cars decades ago. But you are wrong. They have only recently started improving their quality.

I am quoting from the team bhp official review of Safari Storme:

And people dont find Maruti to have better snob value than Tata. The perceived quality of Maruti is more. That is not people's fault.

I dont know what you are trying to prove here. I never said people reject Nexon for the way its exhaust looks, and I never said Tata is bad. On the contrary, I admire how Tata started making good quality cars. What I tried to point out was that the exhaust was appalingly bad looking. Do you think I am in the wrong for saying that?

Check post #494 in page 33. Also #499 in page 34. Those were posted before this discussion even started. I dont know why you get so offended for pointing out a bad looking exhaust. We are an automotive forum and there is nothing wrong in pointing out a flaw.

I beg to disagree with reliability part. Owned Indigo and then Manza. Both crossed 1.60lakh km. And I must say, not once reliability issues have caused any problems. I spent not a penny on anything. No breakdowns, no warranty claims or a thing in both these products
Then bought a petrol Vista and sold it at 1 lakh kms. Tata has been reliable for quite long and not recently. This is just a perception created by non Tata people in the market.
shravan2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 16:54   #523
BHPian

Quote:
I thought I'll put all the images of Nexon from the posts you pointed with exhaust pipe visible, for reference. Except for the latest one piece, none of the exhaust end cans have the same design. As I said, the rest are "better" concealed.
You missed a couple of videos I guess.

Thanks for making the collage art. Now read my post no. 516. The one you've quoted. And do the analysis.
The cars with proper tail-lamps have the ugly can. It's not the odd camera angle.

Still doesn't make 80%.
You are making a category mistake. Pretty straightforward.
Old 7th January 2017, 18:26   #524
BHPian

Quote:
post no. 499,505, 471, 478, 480, 452, 457, 459 has nexons with the ugly can(all of them in near-production ready avatars with proper tail-lamps), all the truck-like tail-lamps have the exhaust tucked-in which is lot less in number in this thread.
Oh, please! I just looked at the posts you mentioned, and perhaps in one or at most two I can see the full exhaust.

Don't tell me Tata should make it completely invisible, perhaps should hide it in the engine bay itself, so people don't complain?
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 20:23   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
I beg to disagree with reliability part. Owned Indigo and then Manza. Both crossed 1.60lakh km. And I must say, not once reliability issues have caused any problems. I spent not a penny on anything. No breakdowns, no warranty claims or a thing in both these products
Then bought a petrol Vista and sold it at 1 lakh kms. Tata has been reliable for quite long and not recently. This is just a perception created by non Tata people in the market.
I have never owned a Tata car, so I dont have any first hand experience regarding their reliability. But for non-owners like me, various reviews and reports are the source of knowledge about reliability and niggles, especially team-bhp reviews. In each and every team-bhp Tata car review, the reliability issue has been highlighted as a con.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
Quote:
Concerns over long-term reliability & durability. Previous Tata cars haven't fared well in this area
Quote:
Concerns over long-term reliability, more so of the freshly developed engines
Quote:
Concerns over niggling issues & long-term reliability
Quote:
Niggling issues & problems (as per the many Safari ownership reports)
After seeing all these reviews, I just dont subscribe to the conspiracy theory that the reliability concerns are a creation of non Tata people. I agree that Tata cars have improved a lot in the past couple of years and that is a great thing. But saying that they dont have any reliability issues, since long, is misguiding.

Last edited by deerhunter : 7th January 2017 at 20:31.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks