Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2017, 13:31   #781
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
I really hope Nexon's top of the line trim comes short with 6 airbags and rear discs. That will make it the only compact SUV in this segment to have this combination. Sadly from initial images it seems that they have decided to go ahead with drum brakes at rear.
Rear drums have few advantages
1. Cheaper to maintain
2. If setup properly drums can provide good stopping power. Rear discs might look good, but really not needed in a crossover.
3. The rear wheels are subjected to a lot more muck and dirt than the front wheels, so drums are easier to maintain if the vehicle travels a lot in rural areas

Historically people have not complained about the brakes on Tata vehicles in-spite of them being on the heavier side than competition. So I don't think rear discs are really needed on the Nexon. Will need to wait for the launch.

For the kind of roads that my vehicles regularly go to, I am happy that they have drums at the rear. Saves me a lot of money
BlackPearl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 13:42   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really hope Nexon's top of the line trim comes short with 6 airbags and rear discs. That will make it the only compact SUV in this segment to have this combination. Sadly from initial images it seems that they have decided to go ahead with drum brakes at rear.
People spend too much time looking at spec sheets to actually understand the real world performance of a vehicle. 6 airbags and ESP would be very nice to have, no doubt, but rear discs are not so much of a necessity in that performance and weight class. Besides, you would be surprised how much of a difference a change in tyres would make
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 14:28   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Rear drums have few advantages
1. Cheaper to maintain
2. If setup properly drums can provide good stopping power. Rear discs might look good, but really not needed in a crossover.
3. The rear wheels are subjected to a lot more muck and dirt than the front wheels, so drums are easier to maintain if the vehicle travels a lot in rural areas
Thank you BlackPearl. That was an eye-opener for me. I was of the concept that it was only due to lack of safety guidelines here in India, we rarely see entry segment cars with rear drum brakes.
We hear about single channel ABS in bikes and bikes with dual channel ABS always come short with rear disc.
Is there anything like single channel ABS in cars in the sense that sensors are installed only on front/rear wheels?.
Because none of the car specs reveal any detail about this.

It is true that spec sheet and real world performance can be entirely different. But Tata is making us wait so much that we are forced to derive things from specs.
WhiteFang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 15:18   #784
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Probably saw a few enroute Ladakh on my way down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A Nexon test mule caught at night doing the rounds outside Manali.
So from the looks of it Tata is doing extensive high altitude testing with this car. Which may be a good thing considering that they wish to position this as a go-anywhere mini SUV!
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 15:22   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We hear about single channel ABS in bikes and bikes with dual channel ABS always come short with rear disc.
Is there anything like single channel ABS in cars in the sense that sensors are installed only on front/rear wheels?.
Because none of the car specs reveal any detail about this.
ABS in cars monitors all the wheels. Cars and bikes perform very differently due to the difference in number of wheels and the difference in shift of center of gravity. Thus technology solutions for each vary drastically from the other.
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 10:47   #786
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Nexon will come with a 1.2L, ~90PS turbo-charged petrol and a 1.5L, ~110PS diesel engine.
Compare this to the 1.3L, ~90PS diesel of the Brezza. (petrol option config unclear yet)
And, a slew of features, including some segment-firsts, which will make the competition sit up and take notice. Also, Tata's all-new, rich in-cabin look and cabin space/comfort right up there, together with a humongous boot.
All this, at a dynamite of a pricing range.
Trust me - the wait until October 5th will be completely worth it. Worth every second, worth every penny.
Like most followers of the Indian auto scene, I was relieved & happy at TM's tentative resurgence with the Hexa, the Tiago & the Tigor & now the upcoming Nexon. But just what's with TM jumping on the compact SUV/cross-over band-wagon & not offering an AWD option? By all means price it appropriately higher than the FWD versions. But with JLR in their kitty & this l--o--n--g gestation period, surely their international aspirations & credibility would suggest such an option to be offered. Or is it that TM is now suffering from a JLR OCD and has little time for the Tata brand - which after all is just meant for domestic consumers and has comparatively little relevance elsewhere ?
Old 16th June 2017, 12:49   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Wow, love the way it the DRL looks in the headlight housing. A very nice design.

Caught me thinking on where i had seen the design!

I did a reverse image search and google tells me :-

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon.jpg

Its a Q3 !! Good going Tata
Old 16th June 2017, 14:19   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
Caught me thinking on where i had seen the design!

I did a reverse image search and google tells me :-

Attachment 1648747

Its a Q3 !! Good going Tata
But I think Tata's design is unique in a way, it is kind of a U LED Strip. Tata's Nexon LED strip doesn't run around the full housing of the headlight, rather its just around the projector. In Audi its more a C or O which covers the whole headlight housing.
Old 16th June 2017, 15:06   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
But I think Tata's design is unique in a way, it is kind of a U LED Strip. Tata's Nexon LED strip doesn't run around the full housing of the headlight, rather its just around the projector. In Audi its more a C or O which covers the whole headlight housing.
Yes! I totally agree . I just highlighted what google thinks of it.

Personally, its a great premium design element built into the headlamps.

I think this is the first time TATA is attempting DRLs of the constant light-beam type. Earlier DRLs in Zest, Storme & Hexa were designed with distinct LEDs.
Old 16th June 2017, 15:21   #790
BHPian

I happened to spot Tata Nexon at Darjeeling last month. Some Tata engineers were returning from high altitude testing. I spoke to one of the engineers and complimented them for the wonderful job on the Tiago and Hexa. I asked him about the launch date for Nexon and he confirmed it would be launched during Diwali.
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 16:17   #791
BHPian

I have become a great fan of the recent Tata offerings - Tiago, Tigor, Hexa and of course the latest Nexon/Osprey. From what I have been reading around online = it looks like the Nexon will place itself on par or may be below the Brezza / Ecosport.

http://indianautosblog.com/2017/06/h...d-night-270916

Recent pics I found on IAB.
Old 16th June 2017, 18:54   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
We will grow old (if we haven't already) by the time this vehicle sees a showroom.

Pardon me for over-simplifying this, but why should it take them so long to launch what is essentially a (majorly) reworked Bolt platform (which itself is a Vista) with what seems (speculating) to be an engine based on the Indica Dicor?

Tata's development lifecycle will be their weakness. Though on the other hand it is much better than letting customers find out the problems post-purchase.

These chaps really need to get their act together in order to be able to launch trouble-free vehicles, fast - they've got the first part right now over the last few vehicles they've launched, they now need to work on the time they take.
Ironically, about 3 decades ago, Tata had conceived, developed and launched an entirely new product, the Tata 407 LCV in precisely 18 months! "Project Jupiter" as it was called internally, required the company to do the job in 18 months, faced as it was with the onslaught of not one or two but as many as 4 Indo-Jap LCVs, all incorporating the latest, state-of-the-art Japanese automotive technology. It was felt that if the company took the usual 3-4 years that were required for new product development, it would be too late to deal with the Japanese auto giants that had now entered India. And what a roaring success the 407 proved to be! Its sales exceeded the combined sales of all 4 Indo-Jap LCVs taken together!

So what's different about the Tata Motors of that era compared with the Tata Motors of today? How did the super efficient company end up being in the sorry state of affairs of today?

In my opinion, the fundamental difference lies in the way the company is managed. In those days, the company was run single-handedly by its all-powerful MD - Mr. Sumant Moolgaokar, the perfectionist UK-educated engineer who had been the company's master from inception. He was answerable to no one except JRD, who in any case didn't interfere in the internal affairs of Tata companies much. Moolgaokar ran the company with great passion and treated it like his own child, which, it indeed was!

Today, the company is run by "employees" of whom it has too many at the top! It has become bureaucratic and lethargic. The passion just isn't there! It's a sad state of affairs which, if not rectified urgently, could cost the group heavily in future!
directinjection is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 19:51   #793
BHPian

I was eagerly waiting for this last November, but gave up when they mentioned it delayed to 2017 November and news that time was AMT would also be delayed. I badly wanted an AT and finally gave up and bought an Ecosport AT. I am sure like me Tata has lost a few customers and I sincerely hope they don't delay this any further.
Old 16th June 2017, 20:34   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Ironically, about 3 decades ago, Tata had conceived, developed and launched an entirely new product, the Tata 407 LCV in precisely 18 months! "Project Jupiter" as it was called internally, required the company to do the job in 18 months, faced as it was with the onslaught of not one or two but as many as 4 Indo-Jap LCVs, all incorporating the latest, state-of-the-art Japanese automotive technology.
Not to take away your point, or the credit from Tata Motors for that machine which beat the Japanese & Koreans. But that was a different time, different product. Requirement was reliability and simplicity. Simplicity in the sense that the target market was different, and the requirements compared to the product in question. Today Nexon & other cars will be competing on a wide range of parameters. The quick turn around of 18 months cannot be expected. But yes, I do agree that there is a huge gap between showcasing and actual launch.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 20:52   #795
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But yes, I do agree that there is a huge gap between showcasing and actual launch.
They should not reveal the product till the actual launch dates are near and confirmed.

I'm happy they are conducting extensive testing of all their new products, and the results are showing in terms of quality and absence of initial niggles as well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks