Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 20:45   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Thanks to Girish Uddhav Harke for this picture of a completely uncamouflaged Nexon in blue.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20245537_1734003189973490_5141649764798876671_n.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 22:19   #1007
srh
BHPian

From a pricing perspective, I think that comparably specced Nexon should be priced around 1.5 lakh INR above the Zest. Anything above that would be a non starter.
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 23:30   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Yes that is something I sorely miss in the news of the Nexon launch. My family and I were looking at the Nexon as a good urban run about. Was really looking forward to the launch of this car until the news that it would eventually only be launched with an AMT automatic tranny. That to me, really sucks. I mean come on, Maruti launched the Celerio with AMT ages ago, I don't expect to see such a lackluster transmission in anything more expensive.
I agree. I too was hoping for a proper automatic. The one in Hexa is fab!
Someone had mentioned that the platform Nexon is built upon (Vista, Manza, Bolt, Zest) cannot accommodate a proper automatic. And secondly, cost would be the prohibitive factor. With the guys here already screaming for aggressive pricing, automatic would have killed it at launch. (the other way)

1 more question is - if the manual comes with 6 speed gearbox, the AMT should also be 6 speed.
That was the funny thing in the Nano. Manual came with 4 but AMT came with a delightful 5th! So far all AMT boxes by Tata and Maruti (Magneti Marelli) are 5 speed. They only mentioned a 6 speed AMT for the RaceMo (God bless his soul). So will they offer a 6 speed AMT?

W.r.t. To the AMT, well it does duty in Nano, Kwid (grossly reduced variation) all the way upto Duster and TUV 300. So Tata isn't the only one to plonk AMT at around 10 lakhs. Although Tata seems to be the only one offering sports mode on AMT. Maruti doesn't have it. Celerio. WagonR. Alto. Nope! Believe me, it makes a world of a difference. When I bought the Tiago AMT, I told myself, well this is for the better half. I will just slot into manual and drive. But it frankly is not all that bad it's made out to be. For 'enthusiasts' - default mode should be sport! It's a hoot to let it rip in sports. So it's kind of a well balanced best (maybe not best, but most) of all worlds solution. Doesn't take a hit on FE, can give power when needed. Suits the sedate driver and can alter for the guy with the heavy foot.
Try the Tiago AMT once. And then try the Celerio AMT. Technology is one thing, implementation matters. A lot!
Small things, like how Tata primes up the pump for AMT as soon as front right door is opened, makes for a smoother and longer lasting gearbox. (I hope I have understood this correct. It was posted on one the maruti AMT failure threads)

Let's hope this makes it in our garages. It seems to be a good package and India is ok with AMT.

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 19th July 2017 at 23:31.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 23:47   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Suraj, I agree with you. I drove couple of AMT cars and it's not as bad as most seem to think here. Many dismiss it outright without even trying it out once. Yes, I would like a traditional auto-box, too, but AMT isn't a deal breaker. Some good things about AMT are 1. better pick-up than traditional AT, 2. Better FE than traditional AT and 3. in-gear indicator ( D1, D2, D3....) unlike just "D" display in traditional ATs.
Old 19th July 2017, 23:51   #1010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
How long are we really planning to bash tata in each and every thread?
That's the sad part. Some people are stuck with some views - that before saying anything about the products, they first put in specific points about (against) Tata. No matter what else they say about the cars after that.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 01:29   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
But it frankly is not all that bad it's made out to be.
To be honest, I have only 2 main gripes against AMT:

1. Hill hold - This is more critical. What's the point in paying a premium for an automatic car, if it expects you use manual mode (or) foot jugglery to avoid rollback and climb inclines.
2. Creep functionality - This is already doing duty in Maruti's AMT cars. So it is not a far fetched expectation.

If these can be addressed, I don't see much to complain on the AMT.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 07:25   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
W.r.t. To the AMT, well it does duty in Nano, Kwid (grossly reduced variation) all the way upto Duster and TUV 300. So Tata isn't the only one to plonk AMT at around 10 lakhs. Although Tata seems to be the only one offering sports mode on AMT. Maruti doesn't have it. Celerio. WagonR. Alto. Nope! Believe me, it makes a world of a difference. When I bought the Tiago AMT, I told myself, well this is for the better half. I will just slot into manual and drive. But it frankly is not all that bad it's made out to be. For 'enthusiasts' - default mode should be sport! It's a hoot to let it rip in sports. So it's kind of a well balanced best (maybe not best, but most) of all worlds solution. Doesn't take a hit on FE, can give power when needed. Suits the sedate driver and can alter for the guy with the heavy foot.
Try the Tiago AMT once. And then try the Celerio AMT. Technology is one thing, implementation matters. A lot!
Small things, like how Tata primes up the pump for AMT as soon as front right door is opened, makes for a smoother and longer lasting gearbox. (I hope I have understood this correct. It was posted on one the maruti AMT failure threads)
I must admit that after trying the AMT when the Celerio first launched, I was totally put off. I didn't even feel like driving the car after one round of the block where my friend who owned it at the time stayed. It felt so retarded to drive it's almost like all my driving experience and all those years of honing my skills was useless, as the gearbox was just in it's own world. I was so put off that I haven't bothered trying any AMT transmissions in cheap desi products for the fear of having that revolting driving experience again.

I am the kind of guy who prefers a good powerful normally aspirated, high revving, punchy petrol engine and a proper manual gearbox, I'll admit I can be a little high strung when it comes to this but that's the combo that offers me the best driving experience. I have learnt all the little tricks with a manual gearbox to the extent that even the DSG on a Polo/Jetta, cannot make it to my weekend car list. That said, considering we are looking at a car for the city runabout and not really a weekend drive, I am definitely going to check out the Tiago AMT in sport mode like you said to see if it is bearable enough.
Old 20th July 2017, 07:42   #1013
BHPian

I, for one, found the AMT gearbox on the DZire way better than the various automatic transmissions on the Celerio, City, Creta, EcoSport and Jazz. It's a pleasure to drive in manual mode and a breeze in auto. I haven't taken a test drive of the Tiago so far.
Old 20th July 2017, 08:45   #1014
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree. I too was hoping for a proper automatic. The one in Hexa is fab!

With the guys here already screaming for aggressive pricing, automatic would have killed it at launch. (the other way)
Costs may not be the reason.

The only automatic choice current in the segment is the Ecosport 1.5 DCT, which has two major cost disadvantages - with the DCT and a 1.5L engine which raises the tax slab.

The difference between the 6 speed manual and automatic in the Hexa is just more than a lakh, which is quite similar to what Ford charges as well, just for the DCT variant.
Old 20th July 2017, 08:53   #1015
Senior - BHPian

My brother is keenly waiting for the Nexon launch. He currently drives 2009 Honda City S AT.
Any news on the top end variants getting 6 airbags and AMT.
I have the Ford Ecosport Titanium Plus and I might consider Nexon as well, if it has an option for 6 airbags and the AMT.
Old 20th July 2017, 09:26   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
I, for one, found the AMT gearbox on the DZire way better than the various automatic transmissions on the Celerio, City, Creta, EcoSport and Jazz. It's a pleasure to drive in manual mode and a breeze in auto. I haven't taken a test drive of the Tiago so far.
That's interesting because creta , ecosport have proper torque converter ones which are way better than AMT's.Its strange you found AMT better .
Old 20th July 2017, 09:56   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
That's interesting because creta , ecosport have proper torque converter ones which are way better than AMT's.Its strange you found AMT better .
The Ecosport has a Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and not a torque converter. The DCT is not as smooth as a torque converter, especially in slow bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 20th July 2017, 09:58   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
I, for one, found the AMT gearbox on the DZire way better than the various automatic transmissions on the Celerio, City, Creta, EcoSport and Jazz. .
Which version of the DZire ? The earlier one was a proper 4-speed AT and not an AMT.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 10:00   #1019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Which version of the DZire ? The earlier one was a proper 4-speed AT and not an AMT.
The previous gen also had AMT with AGS (Auto gear shift) badge behind. I am sure this was AMT and not fully Automatic.

However, Dzire also had fully automatic as well.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-swift-...-lakhs-451208/

I had spotted one at EC toll itself last year and hence I recall this very well.

It was registered to a cab aggregator.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th July 2017 at 10:02.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:03   #1020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The previous gen also had AMT with AGS (Auto gear shift) badge behind. I am sure this was AMT and not fully Automatic.
Parag, can you try get the specs of this AMT version ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed