Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 19:35   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Short overhangs, large wheels, ample ground clearance and hopefully long travel supple suspension, (TML vehicles ride quality is usually pretty well tuned for their respective classes), should endow the Nexon with a fair degree of "soft-roadability".
Add a set of knobbly tyres and a limited slip differential (from the Safari's parts bin) and you have a potential winner in the compact SUV segment.
Let's wait and watch !
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 20:39   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

The production ready cars look soo much better than the initial prototypes. The car looks quite smart and I really hope they give spoiler as a standard fitting - that makes a lot of difference to the looks of the vehicle. And I hope the boot shutline will be bettered in the production version - that looks quite out of place in an otherwise brilliant looking vehicle. I even loved the design language on the C-pillar!
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 07:50   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
To be frank, it's not the dimensions of the Nexon that Tata must be worried about. It's the rather easily recognisable resemblance to the Vista & Bolt, at least of these test mules.
RSR - your point is valid and even I got that sense looking at the camouflaged test mules from some angles ( especially from the front and front fender angles ).

But I also feel, the test mules could have been covered up with possibly, a Bolt grill or similar bits intentionally to not give away the real looks.

Looking at Tata's history of designing very good looking cars ( compared to our other home grown makers who, most of the times, lack even basic geometry skills ), I am quite sure, Nexon will not lack in the looks department ( atleast ! ).
Old 18th October 2016, 09:58   #409
BANNED

Agree that it won't have the road presence of compact SUVs, but from Source: Gaadiwaadi, this old picture tells that it won't be bad also.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonx104cuv8646x420.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 18th October 2016 at 09:59.
Old 18th October 2016, 10:21   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The production ready cars look soo much better than the initial prototypes.
Agree, looking well proportioned and smart, much better than the one shown at Autoexpo.
It seems they have made some change with boot design and along with the spoiler I find it quite good.
Old 18th October 2016, 14:34   #411
BANNED

Is it just me, or do others too find this <under 4m> segment of soft-roaders/cross-overs/SUVs(??) exterior design beginning to pall - mainly because of a glut of offerings. The consumer is drowning in choices. Long live the consumer.

After a while most of them start looking, more or less, like each other, without any really striking differences - be it the Nexon, the Brezza, the Ecosport, the Etios Cross, the Aventura, Kwid etc. The only stand-out comic was the ugly duckling, the KUV100. Tho' now, having seen a few of them on the road, even the KUV100 seems to be showing its sibling similarity with the others. Tho' to be fair, the Nexon is more handsome than the other recent offerings from the Tata stables.

I was just hoping that at least one of these mfrs would spring a surprise - or perhaps show a little originality - and present an AWD option among the available choices. A pity that neither originality nor the surprise element is on offer!
Old 18th October 2016, 14:39   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I was just hoping that at least one of these mfrs would spring a surprise - or perhaps show a little originality - and present an AWD option among the available choices. A pity that neither originality nor the surprise element is on offer!
There was a rumour that Ignis from NEXA would be the first to break this tradition and offer AWD in a sub 4m package.

I hope TATA does it too, since it's all the more important for them to differentiate their product in a crowded segment with well established players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Spotted testing in Leh,Ladakh in it's production-ready guise by
And they are not going to do that if the entry variants are so basic! Steel wheels, no body coloured pillars, this almost looks like a Vista from the side profile.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th October 2016 at 14:43.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 21:11   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
There was a rumour that Ignis from NEXA would be the first to break this tradition and offer AWD in a sub 4m package.

I hope TATA does it too, since it's all the more important for them to differentiate their product in a crowded segment with well established players.

And they are not going to do that if the entry variants are so basic! Steel wheels, no body coloured pillars, this almost looks like a Vista from the side profile.
I think the ceramic bits in the car play big role in taking the attention away from the vista silhouette. I remember seeing some interview of Prathap Bose where he mentions that they are working hard to make it a part of the production line. Take the ceramic bits and the floating roof away and it will look like a vista on heels!

That said, I think the biggest differentiation for the Nexon will be those awesome interiors! Hopefully it comes to the market before it becomes passe! I'm waiting for some spy pics of those!
Old 18th October 2016, 21:43   #414
BANNED

Quote:
There was a rumour that Ignis from NEXA would be the first to break this tradition and offer AWD in a sub 4m package.......
CrAzy dRiVeR, may your words bear fruit! If the rumour does indeed turn out to be true, it would be good reason for me to add the Ignis to my next car short-list. Which, till now, has me vacillating between the TUV & the Nuvosport, the only two contenders with a RWD/AMT combination plus some street cred to carry off the SUV tag, as distinct from a hatch-on-steroids!

Whereas an Ignis with AWD leap-frogs into a whole new league. Yes, the Duster does offer this, but then it is outside my budget & is not in the sub-4m segment either.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 21st October 2016 at 01:25. Reason: Edited out Hindi phrase. Please stick to English in posts. Thanks :)
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 15:01   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Nexon Spied on test in cold weather in the Himalayas. !

Quote:
The two cars featured projector headlamps, nestled inside a twin pod setup and featuring chrome highlights.
One of the cars with relatively lesser camouflage also features a black plaque below the rear windscreen.Both cars featured a black coloured roof mounted spoiler.
Both cars seem to be riding on 15 inch wheels, giving them a nice, muscular look at the bottom. Both cars had steel rims though
Tyres are wide, suggesting powerful propulsion for both car
Thick C pillar might hamper rear view
Wing mirrors are two tone and have integrated blinkers
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-n4.jpg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-n3.jpg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-n2.jpg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-n1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th October 2016 at 15:06.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 18:01   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Don't think an AWD Nexon can be done without incurring massive re-engineering costs to modify the Vista platform (on which the NEXON is based) into accepting a rear differential.
At present the Vista (X1 platform) does not have the space to package in a rear diff along with its AWD suspension componentry and a re-routed exhaust.

For a price competitive, sub Rs 10 lakh, compact AWD, the wait lengthens.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 18:49   #417
Senior - BHPian

Birdies say Tata's new 110Ps DiCor has turned out well. Apparently turbo lag is well controlled, giving the vehicle nice low speed driveability. Other chirps from birdie, speaks volumes about the Nexon's ride quality and seating comfort. Which should come as not much of a surprise as almost all the recent crop of TML vehicles, Zest, Bolt, Tiago rides very in their respective segments.

From whatever little information is trickling in, it seems this vehicle will be a very well engineered car.

Hope TML does justice to it and optimises it's supply chain and dealer despatches BEFORE it commercially rolls out the vehicle, so that customer waiting times can be minimised.
arjab is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 10:32   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Don't think an AWD Nexon can be done without incurring massive re-engineering costs to modify the Vista platform (on which the NEXON is based) into accepting a rear differential.
At present the Vista (X1 platform) does not have the space to package in a rear diff along with its AWD suspension componentry and a re-routed exhaust.

For a price competitive, sub Rs 10 lakh, compact AWD, the wait lengthens.
Here is a crazy thought that I have had for a long time.
Why not let the consumer decide on what he/she wants.

How difficult is it to provide AWD, AT options with all trim levels.
If volumes is a problem, then make it on demand and build only if customer wants just like the BMW assembly line that i visited in Spartanburg.

A customer may have a high preference for AT and nothing else, then the entry level (XE) AT for him.
A customer may have a high preference for AWD and nothing else, then the entry level (XE) with AWD for him.
On the other end of the scale, Mr Moneybags might want to pay for AWD with all gizmos, then the XTA with AWD for him.

The engine and gearboxes have already been homologated, it is just a matter of bolting on/off features based on variants.
Old 21st October 2016, 11:06   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
...The engine and gearboxes have already been homologated, it is just a matter of bolting on/off features based on variants.
It's not as simple as what you say! The entire assembly line needs to be prepared to achieve something of this sort. Then there is an inventory that needs to be added / tracked. It can be a logistics nightmare. Premium brands can have customization because

1. They have solid margins to accommodate such requirements
2. The don't have / require the same scale of manufacturing (they just need a 100 units a month to laugh all the way to bank while the mass market segments may not have the profit even after manufacturing a 5000 units).

Adding AT & AWD to the base trim will easily take Nexon (in this case) to an additional 2-2.5L compared to, say an Ecosport base version. Now, for someone who doesn't want an AWD / AT, will they buy Nexon or another product which costs substantially less?

Unfortunately, we are talking about a very cost conscious segment here unlike premium manufacturers.

Edit:: Ask Rehaan how hard is to have 3 designs of t-shirts to be manufactured and he'll tell you! We are talking of a much more complex process here about cars.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st October 2016 at 11:11. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 11:17   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Adding AT & AWD to the base trim will easily take Nexon (in this case) to an additional 2-2.5L compared to, say an Ecosport base version. Now, for someone who doesn't want an AWD / AT, will they buy Nexon or another product which costs substantially less?
If Ecosport, Duster & many other ~10L cars can come in AT version, why not Nexon? Agree, AWD might be a tough decision for the company, maybe add it in a later iteration like Duster did.

A manufacturer expects to maybe get 15% of his sales from the topmost end, but that adds much more to the image of the company.

Last edited by gsurya : 21st October 2016 at 11:37.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks